HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Bergevin trying to have PK sign a bridge contract at a reasonable price: FAIR

PK and his agent trying to get the best they can: UNDERSTANDABLE

No deal after more than 7 months: NO EXCUSES
To be fair here, they were not able to discuss anything during the lockout...

Old
01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
Personally I could care less about PK at this point. Trade him if we must. He's not a game breaker and at this point this team won't be much better with him in the lineup. If we can get a few decent picks for him, I'd say trade him away for our future at this point. The guy has a ego the size of Earth. He's not worth 5 or 6 million a year. That would handcuff us for years to come.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Personally I could care less about PK at this point. Trade him if we must. He's not a game breaker and at this point this team won't be much better with him in the lineup. If we can get a few decent picks for him, I'd say trade him away for our future at this point. The guy has a ego the size of Earth. He's not worth 5 or 6 million a year. That would handcuff us for years to come.
How would signing PK for 5-6 mil on a 5-6 year deal handcuff us.

He played #1 minutes last year and will be a true #1 soon, those $$4 are very reasonable for a 1st pair d-man.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How would signing PK for 5-6 mil on a 5-6 year deal handcuff us.

He played #1 minutes last year and will be a true #1 soon, those $$4 are very reasonable for a 1st pair d-man.
He's a #1 defenseman on a team that really doesn'thave a #1 defenseman. That isn't an excuse to sign him to a overinflated contract by any means.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
He's a #1 defenseman on a team that really doesn'thave a #1 defenseman. That isn't an excuse to sign him to a overinflated contract by any means.
He's a #1 defenseman.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's a #1 defenseman.
Pretty much. He's a top 30 defenseman in the league, so by definition,t hat would make him a #1.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Pay him 4.5 per for two years and watch him develop. I like that idea. But if it's going to be the end of the world then don't "stick to your guns" on it. Don't ruin the relationship over something like this.

He's not a 6+ million dollar player yet. So if he wants five years I"m not going to offer it to him. I'm going to offer him 5 per over 5 years or maybe a little more. If that's what he wants then fine.

And it sounded like PK would be okay with that based on what I heard on the hotstove so I don't see why this isn't already done.
That doesn't tell me why a bridge contract is good for the Montreal canadiens. I'm trying to understand why Bergevin is not jumping at the chance to ink Subban to a long term deal.

I can see why it would be good in certain cases. Some guys simply haven't proven much by the time their ELC ends and/or you aren't sure if they can repeat. But is that the case for Subban ?

Old
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How is 5-6 mil for 5-6 years overinflated?

Markov's return should push him down to #2 or 3.

Would you rather sign him to something reasonable now or lowball him and have to pay 7 years 7-7.5/year in 2 years? That's why teams try and lock up their young players long term.

Are Zajac Hall Eberle etc worth their contracts? Price hasn't played to the level of a 6.5 mil goalie yet either.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I just don't get why everyone seems to think that a bridge contract will save us money over the long-term. I think there's a very low chance that PK is worth less in 2 years than he is now per annum. Of course there's a chance. But the bridge contract really doesn't seem to help here in the long-run? Unless the new contract length rules in the new CBA are coming into play, but even then it doesn't seem to be a particularly useful strategy.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's a #1 defenseman.
Only on a team with fans that tend to overinflate everyone in the system. See Eller.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How is 5-6 mil for 5-6 years overinflated?

Markov's return should push him down to #2 or 3.

Would you rather sign him to something reasonable now or lowball him and have to pay 7 years 7-7.5/year in 2 years? That's why teams try and lock up their young players long term.

Are Zajac Hall Eberle etc worth their contracts? Price hasn't played to the level of a 6.5 mil goalie yet either.
Not a fan of the Price contract either. Keep signing people on "potential" and we will continue to be bottom feeders in this league.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Only on a team with fans that tend to overinflate everyone in the system. See Eller.
Read, learn, understand, awaken:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...real-canadiens

Old
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Just looked at that...and I'm supposed to be impressed and think he is worth 6 million a year?!? LOL! Once again....overinflated by the fans here.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Just looked at that...and I'm supposed to be impressed and think he is worth 6 million a year?!? LOL! Once again....overinflated by the fans here.

You shouldn't be impressed. You should look at all the statistical proof and realize that you are probably wrong, instead of ignoring them for arbitrary reasons.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Who had better stats in the NHL at 22 last year?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
No, you're supposed to learn.

But that's ok, at this point, I'm going to have to start charging you.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
See Desharnais. But you never did that, right?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

It's the 3rd or 4th article I read where all the stats point one way ie Subban is a stud young #1 dman that any team would jump at the chance of signing to a long term deal. This also confirms my own evaluation of the player after having watched nearly all his games.

On the other hand, I have yet to see a compelling argument against signing Subban to a long term deal.

But our GM Bergevin is unconvinced..

Even the Friedman article, the Stars want to sign Benn to a long term deal, but it's Benn who wants something shorter. That's normal. This situation in Montreal is abnormal.

I've been thinking and I can only think of one rational explanation. NHL is going to be cracking down on performance enhancing drugs next season. Maybe PK is a guy who they know is using them and they think he'll decline after not being able to use them anymore. I am reaching big time at this point because that's the only thing that would rationally explain Bergevin's reticence. It's that or Bergevin is dumb. Not sure which is worse.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I've been thinking and I can only think of one rational explanation. NHL is going to be cracking down on performance enhancing drugs next season. Maybe PK is a guy who they know is using them and they think he'll decline after not being able to use them anymore. I am reaching big time at this point because that's the only thing that would rationally explain Bergevin's reticence. It's that or Bergevin is dumb. Not sure which is worse.
Subban doesn't even believe in basic supplements... Go to 5:00 minute mark- I don't think he's on steroids.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Subban doesn't even believe in basic supplements... Go to 5:00 minute mark- I don't think he's on steroids.

Like I said, I'm reaching. I find it hard to find a rationale explanation behind this whole thing.

Old
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Bertrand Raymond is that you?

Old
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Not a fan of the Price contract either. Keep signing people on "potential" and we will continue to be bottom feeders in this league.
umm.... that's how most contracts are done. Either they are an established player or they are a player signed based on potential. If you want a team full of established players then good luck managing the cap

Old
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I think that the offersheet scenario is more and more probable. PK wants to play, Bergevin doesn't want to break, so PK will go see a team that wants to pay him the $$$ and he's gonna go see Bergevin with the "Match it or i'm playing elsewhere" scenario.

I'm scared...

Old
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

On the other hand, I have yet to see a compelling argument against signing Subban to a long term deal.
Are you forgetting he pushed Plekanec once or twice?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Oh and uhm....He looks like the kind of guy that takes a penny from the "take a penny/leave a penny" jar at the convenience store. Greedy human 101.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
See Desharnais. But you never did that, right?
DD also. The problem with this team is that we have alot of fringe NHL players that people want to inflate because we have nothing left in the system. This is going to be bad and we are going to have to ride out the storm for a few years before we become respectable again.

Closed Thread