HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win!

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Sexington

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
opinion vs stats
Just posting stats doesn't make you right. I agree that Yak's play based on his plus/minus is unwarranted for the reasons given.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Ummmm. I am sure Potter rushed him as soon as crossed the blueline and the shot was from beyond the circle and from the side. Potter played that near perfect IMO.

It might have deflected slightly off of Potters skate or stick but if it didn't... and i dont think it did... That was a straight up bad goal. As per the announcing "that is one Dub would really want to have back". The announcers commented multiple times through out the game that Dub was at fualt for that one.

People just make stuff up to suit thier hate... I guess.
I like Potter (relative to most here), but that goal was partially his fault. Anyone who has played any defense can tell you that. As the Canucks are coming through the neutral zone, he backs off way too hard into his own zone, and then as the puck carrier comes in full speed, he's stuck in no mans land where he can't close the gap because he'd have to come to a complete stop and get beat wide. This is what's referred to as "gap control" for defensemen.

If I am assigning blame on that goal, it's 50% Yakapov for the bad turn over creating a rush the other way, 25% Potter for allowing the full slap shot from the top of the circle, and 25% Dubnyk for not stopping a stop-able shot from there that I think he saw (judging from how he plays the shot).

I mean in Potter's defense, the bad gap control seems to be created by a line change of his D partner, so I think for a moment he thinks that he has to cover the pass to the open man, and he realizes too late that no actually Smid has made it onto the ice and will be there to cover him. But he's still responsible because he could have realized this sooner, if Smid wasn't there he was screwed anyway because the pass would have been made.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Ummmm. I am sure Potter rushed him as soon as crossed the blueline and the shot was from beyond the circle and from the side. Potter played that near perfect IMO.

It might have deflected slightly off of Potters skate or stick but if it didn't... and i dont think it did... That was a straight up bad goal. As per the announcing "that is one Dub would really want to have back". The announcers commented multiple times through out the game that Dub was at fualt for that one.

People just make stuff up to suit thier hate... I guess.
Potter screened the goalie and got a piece of that goal shot to send it past Dubnyk. So yeah that was all on Potter. Second goal was on Potter as well. Bad bad night.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Qrispy

1st goal was all Dubnyk. Yeah, Potter should have closed the gap but that should have been an easy stop for a 6'6" goalie.
2nd goal was on Whitney, who I think was worse than Potter in the game. Yakupov was closest to the puck at the time so he went into the corner to attack but Whitney also went chasing for some reason and got caught out of position.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You know your team is in trouble when you go from counting actual victories to moral victories.
Pretty sure lots of other teams' fans were saying this about us last year. Despite absolutely flopping in the playoffs (for some players that meant two things) we fared well in the regular season as per usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Canuck fans are acting like they won the game cause of the fight as well.
Well, we don't want to brag but... I thought it was an even fight though.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
topchowda

On the 1st goal, Yakupov had a big hand in it but cant change his style of play as a result, that could have been a great 1 timer. Id say it was more of a good play by edler more then a bad play by Yakupov. Potter also let him walk in. I can see giving some room for a forward, but step on a D because youll know hell shoot.

Yakupov needs to get his shot off faster to, held on to some to long. This change will come fast tho

I liked the Eager fight, came at a weird time but he took Kassian out of the game. I wouldnt have liked it if he fought another 4th liner. Kassian was playing good with the Sedins. If he can goat guys like Kassian and Lucic into fighting at the end Im a happy fan.

Lastly, I hate Weise. Just hate his doppy face. He hasnt done that much in the league yet but I know he will do some very stupid things in the future. Hated him from the first time I saw him. I remember last year when he challenged Thorton to fight off the draw, shaking the gloves and everything and when Thorton dropped the gloves Weise completely pussed out and skated away. Someone should post that vid here, its hilarious. No respect for that guy.

In order of hatred: (playoff diving) Kesler,Lapierre, Burrows, Weise, (regular season) Kesler, Bieksa

edit: here it is

Last edited by topchowda: 01-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I agree with Canuckleheads.
I don't see how Eager cleanly won that fight.

At minimum, it was a draw because they both got shots in.
But Kassian opened him up and put him in the stitch room.

Old
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post

If I am assigning blame on that goal, it's 50% Yakapov for the bad turn over creating a rush the other way, 25% Potter for allowing the full slap shot from the top of the circle, and 25% Dubnyk for not stopping a stop-able shot from there that I think he saw
I fail to see why yakupov is at fault when it as hemsky that made the pass and turned it over.

Old
Sexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Whitney, Paajarvi and our first for Subban.

Book it.
I would erect a statue of Tambo on my lawn if he got Subban for that.

I would highly doubt that we could get him without having to part with on of the 5 youngsters going back which I'm sure shut the conversation down.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Second goal was on Potter as well.
lol what?

Old
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I fail to see why yakupov is at fault when it as hemsky that made the pass and turned it over.
Well because... Russians are lazy??

BACKCHECK MORE, NAIL

Old
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Hemsky was setting up for the one-timer, it was Yakupov who tried to make the pass. In all honesty, it was a great defensive play from Edler. That puck never should have gone in the net once it went the other way imo, Dubnyk should have had it, even with the partial screen from Potter. He flat out missed it. It wasn't a terrible goal, but it was one he should have stopped.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
IV XIV XCI

Dissecting goals against is such fun forum fodder....lol

but anyway, just to cut Potter some slack, I re-watched the goal one more time. What most people who mention 'gap control' are overlooking is the fact that lapierre was in behind the D having just got out of the box. When Potter noticed this he quickly turned around and skated into his own zone to prevent a breakaway pass. At that same moment Ladi Smid came on from the bench and Potter realized his responsibility was back on Edler. By then it was too late to close the gap.

Whether or not he screened Dubnyk or tipped the shot is a completely different story and we'll likely not ever know unless we talk to Dubnyk himself.

I think Dubnyk needs to stop it and I think Potter should not be faulted for sloppy gap control on this play.

On to game 2 i say!

Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I agree with Canuckleheads.
I don't see how Eager cleanly won that fight.

At minimum, it was a draw because they both got shots in.
But Kassian opened him up and put him in the stitch room.
Technically Eager won the fight but Kassian did more damage.
How do you not win the fight after landing the landing the last few blows bringing the guy down on ice and finishing on top of him??

Doing fist pumps to jack up the crowd after doesnt mean youve won the fight..

Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
I think you need to go and look at the hi-lites again. That was Yakupov passing to Hemsky, not the other way around.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:57 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Interesting point from Elliotte Friedman's weekly 30 thoughts article:
Quote:
Hockey Night In Canada analyst Kelly Hrudey has said several times he loved the 48-game season in 1995, but warned that it will be difficult on goalies at the start. Reason? The extraocular muscles around the eyes. "A muscle needs to be trained," said Hrudey, a former NHL goalie. "Even after as little as 2-3 days, they need to be retrained to the speed of NHL players shooting the puck. Equally as important is traffic in front of you. It takes an unbelievable amount of focus to deal with that. You can't replicate eye training in a practice or a scrimmage."
That could have a lot to do with that first goal.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I think you need to go and look at the hi-lites again. That was Yakupov passing to Hemsky, not the other way around.
I stand corrected. Dunno why I thought it was hemsky lol

Old
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lol, no.

Go watch Tsn highlights. It perfectly illustrates how you're incorrect.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
yah. sometimes I think I must have watched a different game after reading some of the observations here..

Not sure how you can put 50% of the blame on a guy trying to make a cross-crease pass 90ft from his own net. It was a great defensive steal, a great rush and a bomb of a shot.

If I was to spread the blame it would be the goalie and maybe Potter for screening and Yakupov for trying to be a passer when he should be the sniper.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Potter screened the goalie and got a piece of that goal shot to send it past Dubnyk. So yeah that was all on Potter. Second goal was on Potter as well. Bad bad night.
Care to elaborate on this?

Old
01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Care to elaborate on this?
Well, mostly it's on Whitney for chasing, but Potter has to see that and move to the front. Watch the replay again: Whitney goes chasing Sedin, Potter is standing still with his man behind him and a clear path to the front of the net. He's about three feet from Kassian when that puck goes in.

Quote:
@TSNRyanRishaug Krueger today said second goal wasn’t Gagners error.. Was the other d-mans job to monitor front of net. Clarifying since I blamed 89

Old
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Interesting point from Elliotte Friedman's weekly 30 thoughts article:

That could have a lot to do with that first goal.
And a lot to do with luongos second.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'm sure we'll see slideshow diagrams with the shooter and the icy knoll in here shortly.

Must be a Zapruder type slo-mo film to help us all dissect who was exactly at error for the epic failure last night.

Wait a minute... we won... weez all just over-analyzing. Thank god for a compressed season without long waits between games.

And yes I have to admit Horcoff looked decent last night. Gotta give credit where credit is due... but sure would have made the game easier if he could actually pot one of those beauty chances he kept getting.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Ditto. Horc's a good, valuable player when used properly. the same can be said about Belanger. trustworthy, solid veteran NHLer. Krueger used him more in the 3rd when the single point became a priority.

Horcoff-hate can be blamed on Oilers managment using him as a first line centre and trying to convince the fan base that he was. He is a very good 3rd line centre that can fill into the top six after an injury.
I knew it!
This win was Horcoff's fault.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Ragss

Over analyzing for sure. I feel like its unusual for a coach to be answering questions about whose fault a particular goal was in an mostly defensively-sound game.

Closed Thread