HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky to Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  #1
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Hemsky to Pit

I'm bad at making proposals. The Pens have a wealth of D prospects; I don't know if the Oilers are interested in them. The Oilers have Hemsky; I know the Penguins would like him.

Oilers fans, what would you want for Hemsky?

Pens fans, what would you offer?

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
  #2
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I'm bad at making proposals. The Pens have a wealth of D prospects; I don't know if the Oilers are interested in them. The Oilers have Hemsky; I know the Penguins would like him.

Oilers fans, what would you want for Hemsky?

Pens fans, what would you offer?
The Oilers have a wealth in D prospects as well, don't need anymore. Not going to get into the worth of Hemsky until he's played at least 10 games, but he did look good against the Canucks.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  #3
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
The Pens have been on the elusive search for a talented winger to flank Sidney Crosby basically since his rookie season (some talented ones have come and gone, yes).

Truth be told, I actually thought Hemsky was on the bad side of 30 until today. Nonetheless, if Edmonton's plan is realistically a 3-5 year plan (they might argue it's sooner, but that's my diagnosis), they might decide to seek a return on Hemsky while they still have him under contract. With that said, if the Oilers aren't searching for defensemen, then these two teams might not make good partners...let alone the question of whether Edmonton is even remotely interested in moving Hemsky.

I'll ask the question anyway...if you're GMST and you get a call asking, "what would it take for me to pry Hemsky from you?," what would your answer be?

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
  #4
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,830
vCash: 500
Oilers top six would be too shallow if they traded Hemsky, imo.

Unless they're still rebuilding/tanking this season, I don't see them trading Hemsky for D propsects.

Hemsky gets bashed around here a lot, but he's still solid player.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
  #5
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,182
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
I think most of us know how the Hemsky/Pens threads go by now.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  #6
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
I've been a Hemsky fan since 03. As recently as this offseason I argued against the idea of Hemsky as Sid's winger. My thinking was that Sid needed a bigger body on his line. Nonetheless, what's really been missing from Sid's line - when I stop and think of it - is a player who has ANY offensive creativity whatsoever. Kunitz and Dupuis do an admirable job keeping up with Sid and they can make decent plays off the rush, but neither of them can create anything for themselves. A guy like Hemsky can actually enter the zone, protect the puck and make a pass under pressure. Sid hasn't had somebody capable of that since Hossa.

/end pipe dream.

Again, Oil fans, I'm not saying that you're looking to move Hemsky or that the Pens are good trade partners. I'm just asking what you suspect the Oil's price for him would be (and yes, I understand that the price would be inflated if the organization isn't particularly interested in movingh im).

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
  #7
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,008
vCash: 50
Unless Kunitz or Orpik are on the table I don't really see much of a fit.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  #8
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
meh.. let us enjoy the guy while he looks healthy and producing..

Im sure once EDM hits a slump we'll want to trade him for J.Morrow+ but til it happens you wont see the off-season'ish Hemsky proposals

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  #9
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I've been a Hemsky fan since 03. As recently as this offseason I argued against the idea of Hemsky as Sid's winger. My thinking was that Sid needed a bigger body on his line. Nonetheless, what's really been missing from Sid's line - when I stop and think of it - is a player who has ANY offensive creativity whatsoever. Kunitz and Dupuis do an admirable job keeping up with Sid and they can make decent plays off the rush, but neither of them can create anything for themselves. A guy like Hemsky can actually enter the zone, protect the puck and make a pass under pressure. Sid hasn't had somebody capable of that since Hossa.

/end pipe dream.

Again, Oil fans, I'm not saying that you're looking to move Hemsky or that the Pens are good trade partners. I'm just asking what you suspect the Oil's price for him would be (and yes, I understand that the price would be inflated if the organization isn't particularly interested in movingh im).
Asking Hemsky's value usually ends up to being a Oilers flame fest and how injury prone he is. Its been done a number of times and it always get ugly.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:09 PM
  #10
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Unless Kunitz or Orpik are on the table I don't really see much of a fit.
Both could be on the table. Orpik would be difficult for the Pens to replace (lots of d men in the pipeline but not really a physical shutdown guy like Orpik). Losing Kunitz creates a hole, but one that is partially filled by Hemsky. Can Hemsky play on the left? I like Hemsky - Crosby - Dupuis more than I like Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis...

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:10 PM
  #11
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
meh.. let us enjoy the guy while he looks healthy and producing..

Im sure once EDM hits a slump we'll want to trade him for J.Morrow+ but til it happens you wont see the off-season'ish Hemsky proposals
Where would J.Morrow fit in the Oilers future.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
  #12
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Where would J.Morrow fit in the Oilers future.
He probably wont but it was just an example of the type of Hemsky proposals floating around on this board.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
  #13
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I've been a Hemsky fan since 03. As recently as this offseason I argued against the idea of Hemsky as Sid's winger. My thinking was that Sid needed a bigger body on his line. Nonetheless, what's really been missing from Sid's line - when I stop and think of it - is a player who has ANY offensive creativity whatsoever. Kunitz and Dupuis do an admirable job keeping up with Sid and they can make decent plays off the rush, but neither of them can create anything for themselves. A guy like Hemsky can actually enter the zone, protect the puck and make a pass under pressure. Sid hasn't had somebody capable of that since Hossa.

/end pipe dream.

Again, Oil fans, I'm not saying that you're looking to move Hemsky or that the Pens are good trade partners. I'm just asking what you suspect the Oil's price for him would be (and yes, I understand that the price would be inflated if the organization isn't particularly interested in movingh im).
A big physical # 2 center man that can score and is good at face offs and can keep up with Yak . In other words no one is going to offer us what we need . Last year we had no scoring other then the first line , we got a second line now that can score and we are not trading a big part of it with out an over payment

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
  #14
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,310
vCash: 500
With the way Hemsky played last night, if I were the Oilers, I wouldn't be willing to move him to Pittsburgh without a severe overpayment coming back. A defence prospect is not that. He finally looked healthy and dangerous last night, he might have been Edmonton's best forward at times.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
  #15
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
I have a sneaking suspicion that Tambo is expecting to make the playoffs this year. Then over the summer the Oiler's will go all in and fill the rest of the holes and become true contenders for next year. So if my suspicions are correct I don't think Hemsky will be available until he's a UFA in 2014. A player that might be expendable is Gagner but I don't see him moving until the deadline. Depending how this season unfolds I wouldn't be surprised if Tambo went after Getzlaf as a rental if he's not willing to resign in Anaheim.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #16
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that Tambo is expecting to make the playoffs this year. Then over the summer the Oiler's will go all in and fill the rest of the holes and become true contenders for next year. So if my suspicions are correct I don't think Hemsky will be available until he's a UFA in 2014. A player that might be expendable is Gagner but I don't see him moving until the deadline. Depending how this season unfolds I wouldn't be surprised if Tambo went after Getzlaf as a rental if he's not willing to resign in Anaheim.
You've kind of hit the nail on the head...it really matters what Edmonton's timeline for being a "contender" is. If it's this year, good on them...and you're right, if that were the case they would NOT be in a position to deal Hemsky this year.

Anyhow, we'll gladly take Gagner off your hands

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #17
Anderson55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
I think most of us know how the Hemsky/Pens threads go by now.
Goes something like Kennedy Lovejoy and a prospect/pick lol?

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  #18
Sparky1977
Registered User
 
Sparky1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I'm bad at making proposals. The Pens have a wealth of D prospects; I don't know if the Oilers are interested in them. The Oilers have Hemsky; I know the Penguins would like him.

Oilers fans, what would you want for Hemsky?

Pens fans, what would you offer?
Sorry, not interested in prospects. It would have to be Letang and I do not believe that deal gets done.

Sparky1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
  #19
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
Sorry, not interested in prospects. It would have to be Letang and I do not believe that deal gets done.
Accidental post.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #20
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
You've kind of hit the nail on the head...it really matters what Edmonton's timeline for being a "contender" is. If it's this year, good on them...and you're right, if that were the case they would NOT be in a position to deal Hemsky this year.

Anyhow, we'll gladly take Gagner off your hands
Edmonton is in the 5th year of it's 5 year rebuild plan. the 3rd 1st overall was via winning the lottery. Edmonton was 6 points off being in the #4-5 draft spot last year vs 18 points the preceeding 2 years. We're making significant ground and not looking to stockpile picks or prospects at the moment. Hopefully the playoff window opens next year realistically.

Edit: We won't be moving Gagner unless we can upgrade our 2nd line C. We'd need a C with size who plays a solid game. Maybe someone who is more physical but less a playmaker? For a solid 2nd C we'd probably add to gagner but we're not strong in C depth so are unlikely to move Gagner.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #21
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
You've kind of hit the nail on the head...it really matters what Edmonton's timeline for being a "contender" is. If it's this year, good on them...and you're right, if that were the case they would NOT be in a position to deal Hemsky this year.

Anyhow, we'll gladly take Gagner off your hands
Im sure Gagner will be on the first bus out of town if Tambo closes a deal for Getzlaf as a rental. Only problem is I don't see any deal that would make sense between the two clubs. Maybe Gagner and Whitney ++ for Orpik but I'm guessing you guys dont want to make that deal.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  #22
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Im sure Gagner will be on the first bus out of town if Tambo closes a deal for Getzlaf as a rental. Only problem is I don't see any deal that would make sense between the two clubs. Maybe Gagner and Whitney ++ for Orpik but I'm guessing you guys dont want to make that deal.
That deal could be done, assuming Gagner can move to the wing...

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
  #23
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
That deal could be done.
Depending what we had left over from a potential Getzlaf rental deal(Im thinking MPS, 1st and Martindale) would get Getzlaf for 10 games plus playoffs. That the pluses would probably be Musil and Lander or a pick. It doesn't really matter anyways but I think its a deal that could benefit both teams.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #24
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Depending what we had left over from a potential Getzlaf rental deal(Im thinking MPS, 1st and Martindale) would get Getzlaf for 10 games plus playoffs. That the pluses would probably be Musil and Lander or a pick. It doesn't really matter anyways but I think its a deal that could benefit both teams.
Getzlaf has become quite comfortable in SoCal. He's not going anywhere.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
  #25
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
It would have to be Letang and I do not believe that deal gets done.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.