HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA receives Seattle/Hansen offer for Sacramento

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
GDAWG

vCash: 500
OT: NBA receives Seattle/Hansen offer for Sacramento

The Sacramento Kings and the NBA have confirmed the sale of the franchise to a group from Seattle.

The deal has been submitted to the NBA for review and approval in the coming weeks.
MOD: http://www.nba.com/kings/news/maloof-family-statement
"The Maloof family announced today that an executed purchase and sale agreement has been reached to sell the family's interest in the National Basketball Association (NBA) Sacramento Kings to a group led by investor Chris Hansen. The transaction requires approval by the NBA's Board of Governors and therefore no comments or details regarding the agreement will be released.

"We have always appreciated and treasured our ownership of the Kings and have had a great admiration for the fans and our team members. We would also like to thank Chris Hansen for his professionalism during our negotiation. Chris will be a great steward for the franchise."

The league confirmed it has received sale documents.
MOD: http://www.nba.com/kings/news/nba-statement-kings
"The NBA received an executed Purchase and Sale Agreement for the transfer of a controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings from the Maloof family to an investor group led by Christopher Hansen. The proposed transaction is subject to the approval of the NBA Board of Governors and has been referred to the Board's committee process for review."

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-21-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: URLs required
Old
01-21-2013, 01:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1052
That does it, essentially. Only way for the deal to not go through now would be if Chris Hansen was told to take a seat over there by a slightly more famous Chris Hansen.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

The Maloofs doing this is complete garbage and completes the stabbing in the back that this group has done to the city and people of Sacramento. At least Seattle will benefit from it and the city will get by when they get another group of owners together that want to go through with the arena deal. A new team will be in Sacramento relatively soon once this ridiculousness is finished.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

I hate to say it, but I doubt that Sacramento gets a team back in the near future. All that's really left on the relocation table at this point in time is the Bucks, and they're a big if, too. I'm sure that plenty of places would try to pick them up if they hit the open market, not just Sacramento.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I hate to say it, but I doubt that Sacramento gets a team back in the near future. All that's really left on the relocation table at this point in time is the Bucks, and they're a big if, too. I'm sure that plenty of places would try to pick them up if they hit the open market, not just Sacramento.
I'm not limiting it to the NBA. There will be one of an NBA or NHL team in Sacramento in the near future.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not limiting it to the NBA. There will be one of an NBA or NHL team in Sacramento in the near future.
NHL? I seriously doubt that.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
I really, really doubt it. The NHL's an even bigger reach for Sacramento than the NBA right now. Seattle, Portland, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Quebec City, the GTA, and Hamilton all have to be above it, and likely several more, too.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-21-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: don't worry about it
Old
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I really, really doubt it. The NHL's an even bigger reach for Sacramento than the NBA right now. Seattle, Portland, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Quebec City, the GTA, and Hamilton all have to be above it, and likely several more, too.
Sacramento is instantaneously above all those markets except for Seattle and Quebec City because they have an arena deal in place and owners interested in having a pro sports franchise.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-21-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: qep
Old
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Sacramento is instantaneously above all those markets except for Seattle and Quebec City because they have an arena deal in place and owners interested in having a pro sports franchise.
Just because Sacramento has an arena deal in place, that doesn't mean they are a lucrative hockey market.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
A new team will be in Sacramento relatively soon once this ridiculousness is finished.
With the economy/business climate in California, that's not happening anytime soon. California is a mess, and the people responsible for the mess were given more power by the voters who haven't fled the oppressive business climate there to better managed/governed states.

I do not see Sacramento getting a major sports franchise for decades, despite a large enough population to support multiple franchises.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Um.... just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so. Under no circumstances is Sacramento above the pecking order of any of the cities I just mentioned for an NHL team right now or for the foreseeable future.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Just because Sacramento has an arena deal in place, that doesn't mean they are a lucrative hockey market.
No it doesn't but if they're given a shot and have the right group of owners behind the venture, like Burkle, they would succeed here. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Kings leave and an NHL team takes its place in that new arena, they will succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
With the economy/business climate in California, that's not happening anytime soon. California is a mess, and the people responsible for the mess were given more power by the voters who haven't fled the oppressive business climate there to better managed/governed states.

I do not see Sacramento getting a major sports franchise for decades, despite a large enough population to support multiple franchises.
California being a mess is irrelevant to the market of Sacramento being capable of supporting a franchise. The market can, will, and has supported a pro sports franchise. Once this mess is cleaned up, the city will get started on bringing a new team with a new arena and the fans will be there supporting them like they have been up until the Maloofs got involved in relocation talks.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Um.... just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so. Under no circumstances is Sacramento above the pecking order of any of the cities I just mentioned for an NHL team right now or for the foreseeable future.
Um, did you happen to miss out on the things I said that make that accurate? They have an arena deal in place. They have a local group of people that want to have a pro sports franchise here. Houston has shown no interest in getting a hockey franchise since the last round of expansion. Kansas City doesn't want a franchise for that building. The NHL is not going to put a team in GTA or Hamilton. Milwaukee doesn't have an arena plan, let alone a deal. Portland has no interest in the NHL either. So what do those place besides being 'more traditional' have to put them over at this point?

Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I don't see Sacramento getting back to the show for a long time, sadly, maybe the MLS

there are better options available for every league out there

Old
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
No it doesn't but if they're given a shot and have the right group of owners behind the venture, like Burkle, they would succeed here. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Kings leave and an NHL team takes its place in that new arena, they will succeed.
Where has Sacramento shown anywhere in it's history that it is anywhere close to being a viable NHL market?

Old
scotchex

Does Sacramento have the problem of many locals identifying more with the Bay Area and it's teams than Sacramento?
I like Sacramento, but most Californians I've known talk about Sacramento the way New Yorkers talk about Jersey.
One of my college buddies actually grew up there. His main sports teams were the 49ers and the A's. His favorite NBA team was the Lakers. He was pretty indifferent to the Kings, though he jumped on the bandwagon a bit when they, briefly, were good.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Problem is that you're listing a lot of ifs, pinkfloyd. If their arena deal still goes through without the NBA still there, which isn't guaranteed. If they have willing ownership in place, which is also far from a sure thing. And if the NHL even gives them a second's thought during the next round of expansion, which is probably the biggest barrier there is.

You are right that places like Houston haven't shown interest in the NHL since the last round of expansion, but that's largely because places like that are really only under consideration if there is an expansion. A relocation requires a place that's ready immediately, something that very few markets can provide in the event of a relocation in any sport. Should a multi-year expansion process begin, it's almost a sure thing that ownership consortiums would form in places like Houston and even Kansas City that otherwise wouldn't have enough time to prep in the span of a few months or willingness to stay prepped for years on end in the event of a relocation.

There are just too many markets above Sacramento right now for the NHL with all that in mind.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Sacramento has nothing going for it... it's a mid-size market that's basically already covered by the Bay Area teams. Considering that neither the NBA or NHL are in San Diego, which is both bigger and better demographically, going to Sacramento would be a step backward

Old
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Where has Sacramento shown anywhere in it's history that it is anywhere close to being a viable NHL market?
Where did San Jose show anywhere in its history that it was anywhere close to being a viable NHL market prior to the Sharks showing up? This is a market with potentially no professional sports franchises in it. A new pro team, whether it is basketball or hockey, being the only game in town with a new arena will flourish here. Besides that, there is plenty of transplants and people that play rec league hockey and have interest in the sport. Hell, a lot of the people that support the Stockton Thunder ECHL franchise come from Sacramento.

From a pure business standpoint, someone is going to take that chance knowing full well the people in this market and how they supported the Kings as a business.

And when the Sharks did a few preseason games in Sacramento, they sold out. Very small sample size, of course, but someone will take the risk of being the only pro team in a market of 2-2.5 million people.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Where did San Jose show anywhere in its history that it was anywhere close to being a viable NHL market prior to the Sharks showing up? This is a market with potentially no professional sports franchises in it. A new pro team, whether it is basketball or hockey, being the only game in town with a new arena will flourish here. Besides that, there is plenty of transplants and people that play rec league hockey and have interest in the sport. Hell, a lot of the people that support the Stockton Thunder ECHL franchise come from Sacramento.

From a pure business standpoint, someone is going to take that chance knowing full well the people in this market and how they supported the Kings as a business.

And when the Sharks did a few preseason games in Sacramento, they sold out. Very small sample size, of course, but someone will take the risk of being the only pro team in a market of 2-2.5 million people.
Stop, just stop. The NHL is not going to give Cali 4 NHL teams. And if they did, it would be San Diego. But more realistically, it's going to be Seattle, Quebec City, and Toronto #2.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

San Jose had the benefit of being in the right time. The league was in the beginning stages of huge American expansion, and no one really though of testing the waters at the time; it was all about the POTENTIAL of making $$$.

Now that we have seen quite a few southern American teams struggle, I don't think (at least I hope they won't) that the league will just throw teams in large American centres willy-nilly without doing due diligence first. And sorry to say, Sacramento has a ways to go before it should even be considered as a future NHL market.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Stop, just stop. The NHL is not going to give Cali 4 NHL teams.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. If the market can support it and the opportunity comes up, there's no reason not to. The reality is that California can support more than three franchises. It can probably support three more if things in those three markets came into place.

You can bet that once the Maloofs and the Kings leave, Kevin Johnson and anyone with aspirations for political office in Sacramento will be pushing very hard for a new team.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Plus, let's not forget that San Jose is a larger city and marked the league's return to the massive San Francisco Bay Area. It's one thing to take a risk on something that has the potential for a huge upside versus taking a risk on something with a much smaller upside.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I can think of at least 10 markets the NHL would look before Sacramento:

Seattle
Quebec
Toronto
Kansas City
Hamilton/K-W
Houston
Portland
San Antonio
Milwaukee (especially if the Bucks do leave)
San Diego
Atlanta redux redux

that is 12

Old
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Sacramento has nothing going for it... it's a mid-size market that's basically already covered by the Bay Area teams. Considering that neither the NBA or NHL are in San Diego, which is both bigger and better demographically, going to Sacramento would be a step backward
Well, it has 2.5M people and the 24th largest metro in America -- and growing. And now it is the largest metro in the US without a sports team.
It's also the capital city of California -- one of the larger economic entities on the planet.
Sure, California is a blue state basket case. But they still have Hollywood and Silicon Valley. Not to mention the most perfect weather in America.
And California is sitting on massive energy reserves and can spark an energy boom if they ever decide to.
At some point I predict the ruling class eco-zealots that run California will get voted out. California is increasingly Mexican and Mexicans have no problem with drilling for oil -- Pemex is the national treasure of Mexico. The idea of not drilling to avoid offending the "green" religious sensibilities of the ruling class liberals won't last forever. (I'm not predicting a resurrection of the Repubs in Cali, but most likely a pro-drilling Mex-American Democrat rising to power. A pro-drilling socialist basically, just without the weird earth religion/nature worship stuff.)

California has the luxury of having so many natural advantages that they can screw things up really bad for a long time, but now they are really feeling the consequences of decades of poor decision making. I'm confident they can learn.

Closed Thread