HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Pats letting go of Floyd Reese. That's a pretty ballsy move, as he's the guy who has been an integral part of them being able to work out contracts and sign free agents. Not sure why they'd let him go.
Wonder if they'll bring back Pioli. Seems he worked well with Belicheck despite having issues in KC with other coaches or are they just promoting from within?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:31 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Wonder if they'll bring back Pioli. Seems he worked well with Belicheck despite having issues in KC with other coaches or are they just promoting from within?
They brought back McDaniels, so I could totally see them bringing back Pioli.

Floyd Reese is a good football mind. I'd like to have him in this organization, since I'm sure Khan will be baited again this offseason.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
It almost feels fixed for Ray Lewis to go out on top
...of a pile to pad his stats?

The two weeks leading up to the Superbowl make me so happy that I don't watch ESPN or a lot of sports "journalism", period. So many awful stories where folks make connections over the most tenuous crap to build hype towards the game is incredibly irritating.

"The third string QB of one team and the assistant to the GM of the other team once ate lunch at the same restaurant. It was years apart, but this unique relationship could be a huge factor in the game."

Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I agree that this almost feels fixed for Ray Lewis but I won't go as far as to say it is obviously. I don't believe that to be true. I really was hoping once we got the Pats/Ravens together in one place that an asteroid would hit the stadium. Didn't happen... I can only imagine how unbearable the Super Bowl is going to be.

I've been catching up on all the Colbert interviews from the past week or so and it's pretty apparent all his significant UFA's will be allowed to test the market and they will have to make some cuts (possibly Harrison and a few others). They are also rarely a player in UFA and I don't expect that to change.

If the big name UFA's leave and they don't sign any realistic replacements for what they lose they are going to have a ton of holes to fill. Really makes me wonder if they'll be a bit torn in the draft. They don't always pick in the teens and can get a better prospect than usual at that spot but given all the holes they may wind up with if the UFA period goes badly they may be better served trading down once or twice in the first few rounds and collecting lots of picks to give themselves a better shot at filling all those holes on the team.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Seattle getting their NBA team back (well in the same way that the Winnipeg Jets are 'back'...sucks for Sacramento).

I'll be shocked if there isn't an NHL expansion by 2016.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
the Kings blow and the Maloofs are among the worst owners in pro sports (and I've lived through Chris Cohan's ownership of the Warriors) (and Pittsburghers known something about bad ownership).

Old
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
regard

Im sure Seattle would rather have thier original team instead. lol

Hockey came back just in time, I dont want to hear anything about Ray Lewis or the Superbaugh or Manti Te'o and his tragically dead ficticious girlfriend. Football is dead to be until next season.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
DJ Spinoza

Liriano deal has been revised and finalized--he gets the original money if he doesn't miss any time due to the injury, and if not, his salary goes down in the first year. Seems like a pretty good thing, and I'm glad that Karstens wasn't the replacement option (also glad that Karstens was an additional option, he brings some depth and a healthy Liriano improves the top-end quality of the staff).

This also takes pressure off both McPherson and Locke, and by extension Cole, who can hopefully get in a groove in AAA and push somebody out of the rotation by mid-June or July.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Every time I hear about the Sacramento Kings the 1st thing that comes to mind is Shaq calling them the Sacramento Queens

Seriously I think Seattle would be a great hockey city. Move the Yotes already!!!

Old
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Every time I hear about the Sacramento Kings the 1st thing that comes to mind is Shaq calling them the Sacramento Queens:laugh
emasculated by Shaq and trolled out of a championship by the refs - hard for a franchise to come back from that.

i will say their passing was a thing of absolute beauty - Bibby/Stojaković/Webber/Divac.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Sacramento has good basketball fans. That had to be the loudest building in the league when they were winning in the early 2000's. Seattle also had good basketball fans. Should have never moved that team to OKC but some of these owners would try to move their team up a really fat person's ass for a couple more luxury boxes these days. No loyalty and just total greed but I guess that's nothing new.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
sniugneP

Sacramento is known having a strong fan support. They basically have only 1 major professional team.

Maloofs really screwed fans and city BIG TIME. At one point, they had a deal with city that they will stay in Sac for a long time and then they backed out the deal.

Last edited by sniugneP: 01-22-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Our starting staff is the best I've seen in my 25 year old lifetime, so I'm excited for this pirate season.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Our starting staff is the best I've seen in my 25 year old lifetime, so I'm excited for this pirate season.
I agree, although there's also a lot of wildcard action going on in this rotation. Burnett and Wandy are both getting up there, who knows which JMac we will get and for how long, Liriano is possibly injured and seems like the biggest boom/bust situation, and Karstens has perpetual injury problems.

With that said, I'm definitely getting excited for the season. The starting staff should be a good group out of the gate, especially if Burnett picks up where he left off and Liriano is healthy and can get some good starts/matchups under his belt. There's still a bunch of "ifs" with this team, but otherwise, would it be Pirate baseball?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

I'm just psyched to have 5 established guys and 2 good MLB-ready prospects vying for spots right now...to say nothing of Morton and Cole.

We have legitimate competition for the rotation this year...and it's not between never-weres and non-prospects, it's between actually decent players. Shocking stuff, right?

Liriano is the definite wildcard in the bunch. He could be great, he could be bad, he could ride a roller coaster all season...it's impossible to predict. I have high hopes that the move to the NL will help him a lot. I think Karstens was brought back to be a swingman and I don't think he has a realistic shot of getting into the rotation right away, but he's a guy who just always forces his way there or refuses to let go when injuries place him there...until injuries take him out himself, that is. We'll see.

There's also 3 lefties in that mix (Wandy, Liriano, & Locke). Last year the Pirates got only 42 starts out of lefties all season - with Wandy and Locke accounting for 18 of those while not joining the team until the trade deadline or later. Right now I have all 3 of them in the rotation, though I doubt we see a real 5 man rotation until May.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Because I refuse to talk about the Super Bowl as long as these people are involved...
This...just pretending it's not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
The two weeks leading up to the Superbowl make me so happy that I don't watch ESPN or a lot of sports "journalism", period. So many awful stories where folks make connections over the most tenuous crap to build hype towards the game is incredibly irritating.
Short of a live event (Steelers MNF game, random Pitt hoops carried on the Ocho) or the one thing they've gotten right in 20+ years (30 for 30), I don't watch ESPN. Any of the 50 stations. I'll scan through, and if it's something I'm interested in (described above), otherwise move forward.

Anyone who tells me about the amazing stat/commentary they saw on ESPN, I immediately block out the rest of the words, because no self respecting sports fan should be tuning in.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
JTG

Quote:
I'm just psyched to have 5 established guys and 2 good MLB-ready prospects vying for spots right now...to say nothing of Morton and Cole.

We have legitimate competition for the rotation this year...and it's not between never-weres and non-prospects, it's between actually decent players. Shocking stuff, right?

Liriano is the definite wildcard in the bunch. He could be great, he could be bad, he could ride a roller coaster all season...it's impossible to predict. I have high hopes that the move to the NL will help him a lot. I think Karstens was brought back to be a swingman and I don't think he has a realistic shot of getting into the rotation right away, but he's a guy who just always forces his way there or refuses to let go when injuries place him there...until injuries take him out himself, that is. We'll see.

There's also 3 lefties in that mix (Wandy, Liriano, & Locke). Last year the Pirates got only 42 starts out of lefties all season - with Wandy and Locke accounting for 18 of those while not joining the team until the trade deadline or later. Right now I have all 3 of them in the rotation, though I doubt we see a real 5 man rotation until May.
Paul Martin really looks like a lesbian.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Paul Martin really looks like a lesbian.
He does look a bit like Portia de Rossi, doesn't he?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spinoza View Post
Liriano deal has been revised and finalized--he gets the original money if he doesn't miss any time due to the injury, and if not, his salary goes down in the first year. Seems like a pretty good thing, and I'm glad that Karstens wasn't the replacement option (also glad that Karstens was an additional option, he brings some depth and a healthy Liriano improves the top-end quality of the staff).

This also takes pressure off both McPherson and Locke, and by extension Cole, who can hopefully get in a groove in AAA and push somebody out of the rotation by mid-June or July.
Agreed with all the above.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
JTG

Quote:
He does look a bit like Portia de Rossi, doesn't he?
It's uncanny

Old
01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:

Yeah, in fairness to the Pirates, there are many legitimate reasons to be excited for the pitching staff. The big question marks are not out of the ordinary for any team to face, unless we are talking about certain teams who have lock-down rotations, which the Pirates are aiming to develop over the next three seasons or so, but we'll have to wait until Cole et al arrive before we analyze that end of things.

In terms of constructing a pretty solid rotation heading into the season, I think Huntington has done a very good job. The Liriano thing could end up backfiring, but something like him working out is what we needed to get to the next step (a bit of a moot point to argue now because Karstens was brought back after all).

Old
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I'm just glad they've actually spent money too. I mean, hell, the gave Jones 4.5 mil instead of trading him.

What's payroll looking like now? 65-75 mil?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

~82 million raw.

~$68.5 million with the payments from New York and Houston.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Gets the motor runnin'

Closed Thread