HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#02 | Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Jan 21 | W 4-3

Old
01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Glad Okposo scored, but he really has been just a big load these first 2 games. I'm hoping it's just conditioning from the long layoff. He needs to step up the effort.

!
I can understand that reaction after game one, but can't understand it after today's game.I thought Okposo was much more involved today, hustling and creating some good scoring chances.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
what about okposo's game was bad? he controlled the puck, forechecked well, and had a goal
Nice to see him hustle with some tempo in the second and third. However, he needs to better read the ice bc he put himself in too many low percentage areas.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CREW99AW

I'm really pleased with Grabner's play. He looks dangerous out there, the way he did in his rookie season.

and it's early I know, but Aucoin has been a nice suprise.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Streit played better than he did on Saturday, but then again, he couldn't really play worse than he did on Saturday. For someone who should have his legs already from playing in Europe, he looks awful.

Glad Okposo scored, but he really has been just a big load these first 2 games. I'm hoping it's just conditioning from the long layoff. He needs to step up the effort.
Agree 100% on both points. Glad im not the only one who isn't blind around here!

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Finley and Carkner didn't hurt us, that's a huge win. They played okay but scary to see them out there together.
Yes and no. When on the ice they did ok, but the fact you have to be careful where to play them makes it harder for the other 4 guys, Streit for instance had to play 29 minutes, he is more suited to playing 25.

I personally think the only way you suit up Finley is if you either have 7 defenseman for the game or Carkner is injured.

The Carkner/Finley pairing is going to kill us when we are on the road and teams on purpose wait till they on the ice to put out their big guns, either that or we put on 2 tired defensemen in the defensive zone.

Last edited by boredmale: 01-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm really pleased with Grabner's play. He looks dangerous out there, the way he did in his rookie season.

and it's early I know, but Aucoin has been a nice suprise.
Agreed on that he looks as dangerous as in his rookie season, but overall I would say he played even better these two games than ever before. He is much more involved, passes a lot and positions himself very well. Also the PK of him was very good, although the PP of Tampa looked very static most of the time.

And yeah, I really like Aucoin so far. He has a great overview and had some good passes.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
wingnutks

Again, Okposo needs to learn to skate better. He is constantly flailing around and falling... he needs a better base.

The team was unbelievably smooth during the second period... scary fluid.

They looked much better in their defensive zone... not as many "panic wacks" of the puck. They took control of the puck, calmly looked around and made a high percentage pass/clear.

Also, if I knew nothing and these were the first two islander games I had ever watched or heard about, I would think Grabner was the Isles start player.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
This x100000.. Ullstrom is going to turn a few heads this season and there was absolutely no reason for Cizikas not playing Saturday.
totally agree. i really like Ullstrom, and i think hes gunna be a decent NHLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Offensively sure. But he's a defenceman and he played like crap defensively.
i was saying this today. Streit is a good offensive threat, but his D is average.

i knew a 3-0 lead wasnt safe when the second ended, but thank god they didnt lose.

it was a good team effort today. letting up 3 goals in the 3rd is worrisome tho.

this is the most bipolar forum on the internet, after game 1 loss : " same ole islanders " game 2 win: "maybe we have a shot this year "

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Martin "We are sick of not making the playoffs"- Love it !!!
Good, thats the attitude we need.

01-21-2013, 03:37 PM
seabass45

JT wearing yet another new cap. A new one for every interview?

seabass45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

AMac logged 27 minutes again. Streit with 29:18

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
JT wearing yet another new cap. A new one for every interview?
directive from Wang, to help sell gear/merchandise during a lock-out shortened year.

every penny!

"you want help on defense? well, you gotta wear a different hat after every game and end all interviews with "i'm going to the Coliseum to get myself another hat""

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
AMac logged 27 minutes again. Streit with 29:18
In a condensed schedule thats not good. Why didn't Hammer play more he's our best Dman. Streit probably played so much because of all the pplays.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
gurral

Quote:
directive from Wang, to help sell gear/merchandise during a lock-out shortened year.

every penny!

"you want help on defense? well, you gotta wear a different hat after every game and end all interviews with "i'm going to the Coliseum to get myself another hat""
I don't know if it's the late hour or something but I laughed so hard at that last part ;D

gurral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Hyphistos

Quote:

every penny!

nice one! I had to laugh out loud, it's so funny because with Wang this is quite within the realms of possibility.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Streit was far and away the worst defensive defenceman in the game for either team. He is a real liability back there.
Far and away. Far and away.

Streit may not be the best defensive defenceman. Ever thought why? It's because he isn't a defensive defenceman. But, he is one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. I guess that is not good enough for you.

Blame the management for not acquiring capable defensive-minded defenders instead of blaming Streit for not being perfect defensively. If you expect Streit to be a player he isn't then that's your misfortune and not Streits fault. I guess Streit wouldn't mind to play with someone that is as good defensively as he is offensively.

You can not expect a player to become the player a team needs if that just isn't his game. It's the job of the management to acquire players who have games that fit the team well.

How dare he making crisp and precise passes to someones blade.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Hip Of Rick

I missed the 3rd and based on the score I am glad I did. The first 2 periods they looked great especially Grabner and JT

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I can understand that reaction after game one, but can't understand it after today's game.I thought Okposo was much more involved today, hustling and creating some good scoring chances.
He was much improved over Saturday, but like Streit, that's not saying a whole lot as they were both abysmal on Saturday. Again, I hope it's just conditioning and that he'll look much better after another game or two. He hustled some, but I saw him giving up a lot too. Maybe he was just winded earlier than his linemates? He needs to finish his checks though, and that's my biggest issue with him. He plays better when he plays with jam, and he's yet to do that so far.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
IslesfanJT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I missed the 3rd and based on the score I am glad I did. The first 2 periods they looked great especially Grabner and JT
You missed a very sloppy 10 mins or so in the 3rd period, but other than that they played great.

IslesfanJT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:33 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Far and away. Far and away.

Streit may not be the best defensive defenceman. Ever thought why? It's because he isn't a defensive defenceman. But, he is one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. I guess that is not good enough for you.

Blame the management for not acquiring capable defensive-minded defenders instead of blaming Streit for not being perfect defensively. If you expect Streit to be a player he isn't then that's your misfortune and not Streits fault. I guess Streit wouldn't mind to play with someone that is as good defensively as he is offensively.

You can not expect a player to become the player a team needs if that just isn't his game. It's the job of the management to acquire players who have games that fit the team well.

How dare he making crisp and precise passes to someones blade.
I know exactly what Striet is. Today was nothing new. Brilliant passing, and then hold your breath and watch him get tossed around like a rag doll and get skated through like he was WELL... SWISS Cheese.

Streit has value in small doses on the PP and with a defensively responsible dman, but has No Business and I mean none, when the other teams top scoring threats are on the Ice. If I were coach and it looked like Stamkos or Kovalchuck were even THINKING about going on the ice, I would staple Streits shorts to the bench.

He shouldn't be getting the ice-time he is and going against the players he's going against. He's getting exposed. Again, I understand its management and coaches fault, but still, He can not be considered player of the game in todays game.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

How about Andrew Macdonald?

A god damn force back there. Always steady. Always amazing.

LOVE this guy.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Tavaresfan91

That's a big confidence booster for the squad. I was there and another nice crowd. Now I'm hoping for a 3-2 road trip I feel Pitt and Boston will be losses but jets leafs and devils are all winnable games. DP will get nod at Toronto IMO and Nabby for Boston

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Hyphistos

I'm really wondering how they will use dp. I feel like using him against a weaker opponent maybe could be even worse as we could then lose both games.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
JTforPres2012

Just got back from the game, I thought this was the best game KO has played in recent memory. He was diving for pucks and just busting his ass on every play.

I also thought Grabner was great. He really seemed to gain confidence after a much needed goal from him.

Finley and Carkner, my god they're awful.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Okposo needs to usehis good wrist shot and stop trying to get so fancy with the dekes...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote