HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
  #601
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
And if Paul gaustad had the skill of a guy like Whitney, he'd be one of the best players in the NHL. What's your point?

I don't, and never have, seen any point in pointing out size like its this massive insurmountable obstacle. It's an obstacle no doubt, but so is skill if your a 6 foot 3 guy without any hockey sense. Why size needs to be pointed out more than anything else is beyond me.

And before someone starts talking about me having a size complex and being defensive, I'm actually about the same size as Tyler Myers...
I dont disagree with you in that a lot of people use size as a insurmountable obstacle, but I do believe it matters when evaulating individual players.

Speed and mobility matter a lot more when you are undersized. If you are 5'10 or under and have below average speed, you will suffer. Couple examples I will use:

1. I go to McGill and have been to a few hockey games for the school and there is this freshman David Rose who was a PPG player the last 2 seasons in the Q before joining the CIS. He is 5'9, fairly well built, and he has pretty good hands. But his skating is brutal. Its why he plays university hockey rather than lets say the AHL

2. I dont think anyone can deny at this point that Jonathan Drouin is a better junior player than Nathan Mackinnon. And thats not just based on the World Juniors. The scout who said Drouin may be the best player this season in the CHL may not be wrong. However, while both will have long NHL careers, Mackinnon still seems to project to be a better NHLer because he plays bigger than he is and because he can fly. Drouin plays a Kadri like game (mind you hes better than Kadri)

My main point is that if you are small and cannot skate, your NHL chances would be slim, even if you had a rocket of a shot and silky mittens

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
  #602
Eisenh0rn
Registered User
 
Eisenh0rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Country: England
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Leivo with 1g 2a against his old team. The goal coming in OT - I wonder if he celebrated?

Eisenh0rn is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:47 PM
  #603
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,417
vCash: 500
Watching a bit of Oshawa, Biggs hasn't been on that top line the past couple games (including pp) but continues to put up points. Looks good so far today

kilgro is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:43 PM
  #604
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Watching a bit of Oshawa, Biggs hasn't been on that top line the past couple games (including pp) but continues to put up points. Looks good so far today
must be due to laughton just really changing up their zone

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
  #605
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
what happened to Finn ?

Leafs at Knight is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  #606
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
what happened to Finn ?
I think he has mono again

kilgro is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
  #607
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
I think he has mono again
its a serious condition, it sucks. know for experience.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
  #608
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Watched Oshawa and Missy tonight. Very physical game which was great to see, 5 fights in the third. Percy played solid, had one blatant turnover but logged alot of ice with Carrick out. He made smart passes and reads all night and used his partner to breakdown the forecheck pretty effectivly. When he had the puck at the point he made quick moves to open up a shooting lane and seemed to hit the net at all times. He doesn't have the greatest wrist shot but he uses traffic well and seems to but it in the right spots for rebounds or deflections. Overall i thought he played well even though they lost 4-1.

Biggs has been playing with Cassels and Dundas on the second line, played well tonight and i think he ended up with an assist. Positionally he was in the right spots and made a few plays that led to odd man rushes through the nuetral zone. had maybe 3 or 4 shots towards the net with one just missing the top corner. I fell that he didn't cycle as well tonight but that might be because he is with new linemates, played well though.

If anyone has any questions on draft eligible guys that played tonight dm me.

sniper81 is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
  #609
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Since Brody has dropped the ball here, does anyone know of a site that keeps an updated list of our prospects' stats? I'm far too lazy to search for them all individually.

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
  #610
selltrade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Watching a bit of Oshawa, Biggs hasn't been on that top line the past couple games (including pp) but continues to put up points. Looks good so far today
was at the game last night, Biggs is real strong along the boards and is very good at PK. If he gets a little more offensive oomph, he'll be a good one. Percy is a very smart player, good passer, not overly physical but I can see him being a #4 type Dman.

selltrade is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
  #611
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
I saw large parts of the UND-Minnesota game last night. It was 4-4 going into OT, which I didn't see so I don't know how it turned out. However, I was only interested in the play of Leaf draftee Andrew MacWilliam, so the score didn't matter to me. AM is the captain of UND and looks like he has very good potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing, stay at home NHL blueliner. He clearly has NHL size and strength, positions himself well defensively, plays the body efficiently and looks sufficiently mobile for the role of defensive defenseman. He was surprisingly mobile for a man his size and the NCAA does emphasize speed in its game.

He makes the simple first pass efficiently and safely but appears to have very little offensive upside. NHL first rounders Forbort and Skjei both played in the game and he appeared as mobile as either of them. It should be noted, however, that both those players are younger and less experienced than AM. A good comparison for AM might be a poor man's Luke Schenn.

Bottom pairing NHL defenders need time in the AHL to refine their game and they also need a stroke of luck to get the opportunity to establish themselves in the NHL. I am not predicting that AM will make it, just stating that he appears to have certain NHL attributes and that I think he will be worth signing when he finishes his college eligibility. Then we'll see what happens.

67Cup is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
  #612
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I saw large parts of the UND-Minnesota game last night. It was 4-4 going into OT, which I didn't see so I don't know how it turned out. However, I was only interested in the play of Leaf draftee Andrew MacWilliam, so the score didn't matter to me. AM is the captain of UND and looks like he has very good potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing, stay at home NHL blueliner. He clearly has NHL size and strength, positions himself well defensively, plays the body efficiently and looks sufficiently mobile for the role of defensive defenseman. He was surprisingly mobile for a man his size and the NCAA does emphasize speed in its game.

He makes the simple first pass efficiently and safely but appears to have very little offensive upside. NHL first rounders Forbort and Skjei both played in the game and he appeared as mobile as either of them. It should be noted, however, that both those players are younger and less experienced than AM. A good comparison for AM might be a poor man's Luke Schenn.

Bottom pairing NHL defenders need time in the AHL to refine their game and they also need a stroke of luck to get the opportunity to establish themselves in the NHL. I am not predicting that AM will make it, just stating that he appears to have certain NHL attributes and that I think he will be worth signing when he finishes his college eligibility. Then we'll see what happens.
Once he leaves college I can see him taking a similar path as Holzer. Playing for the Marlies for about 3 years, making his way up from part-time play to being apart of the shutdown pairing and then getting a shot with the Leafs out of camp.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
  #613
Drew311
Bustlander
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Since Brody has dropped the ball here, does anyone know of a site that keeps an updated list of our prospects' stats? I'm far too lazy to search for them all individually.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008490.html

I think this is the best you're gonna get. It only takes a couple of minutes to click on each prospect from the last few drafts. If you're too lazy to do that, I don't know what to tell you.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
  #614
Number13
Registered User
 
Number13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Can anyone give me any info on Petter Granberg's injury? I notice it's only kept him to 2 games this season, when is he supposed to be back?

Number13 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM
  #615
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I saw large parts of the UND-Minnesota game last night. It was 4-4 going into OT, which I didn't see so I don't know how it turned out. However, I was only interested in the play of Leaf draftee Andrew MacWilliam, so the score didn't matter to me. AM is the captain of UND and looks like he has very good potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing, stay at home NHL blueliner. He clearly has NHL size and strength, positions himself well defensively, plays the body efficiently and looks sufficiently mobile for the role of defensive defenseman. He was surprisingly mobile for a man his size and the NCAA does emphasize speed in its game.

He makes the simple first pass efficiently and safely but appears to have very little offensive upside. NHL first rounders Forbort and Skjei both played in the game and he appeared as mobile as either of them. It should be noted, however, that both those players are younger and less experienced than AM. A good comparison for AM might be a poor man's Luke Schenn.

Bottom pairing NHL defenders need time in the AHL to refine their game and they also need a stroke of luck to get the opportunity to establish themselves in the NHL. I am not predicting that AM will make it, just stating that he appears to have certain NHL attributes and that I think he will be worth signing when he finishes his college eligibility. Then we'll see what happens.
Is this MacWilliam's last year in the NCAA? Maybe eligible to join the Marlies once he finishes school, if he gets a contract. Could fit Carlyle's system far better than if Rotten Ronnie was still coaching.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #616
81
Registered User
 
81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Since Brody has dropped the ball here, does anyone know of a site that keeps an updated list of our prospects' stats? I'm far too lazy to search for them all individually.
I can't fix them till like January 6th bro.

81 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
  #617
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,024
vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
I can't fix them till like January 6th bro.
I will assume you mean February 6th.

Grant is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
  #618
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I will assume you mean February 6th.
Brody fails are more then just editing posts I guess.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  #619
81
Registered User
 
81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I will assume you mean February 6th.
Yeah, I'm totally not myself right now though.

81 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  #620
81
Registered User
 
81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Brody fails are more then just editing posts I guess.
Look at my avy, thats why.

81 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:50 PM
  #621
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I saw large parts of the UND-Minnesota game last night. It was 4-4 going into OT, which I didn't see so I don't know how it turned out.
It ended as a 4-4 tie. NCAA games end as ties after the 5 minutes over time period, unless of course it's during a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Is this MacWilliam's last year in the NCAA? Maybe eligible to join the Marlies once he finishes school, if he gets a contract. Could fit Carlyle's system far better than if Rotten Ronnie was still coaching.
Correct.

I highly suggest that those who don't know a lot about MacWilliam, to the take the time to learn more about him. He's one the best body checkers I've ever seen, at any level of play. He consistently just crushes people, whether that be in open ice or along the boards. Always clean and never misses. I don't think he has a whole lot of upside, but if he makes the NHL, he'll be a fan favourite because he can wreck people and he viciously defends his goalie and clears of the crease. Like 67Cup said, he skates pretty well too. He's got good reach and uses his stick very effectively. He's become one of my favourite players to watch in the NCAA.

Highlights: http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...B_OEM_ID=13500 Click on hockey on the left side and find one of the highlight packages. There's probably a MacWilliam hit or two in almost everyone of them. There's one from the beginning of the season where it has about 4 or 5 of his hits, but I can't seem to find it right now.


Last edited by That: 01-21-2013 at 06:11 PM.
That is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
  #622
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
I saw large parts of the UND-Minnesota game last night. It was 4-4 going into OT, which I didn't see so I don't know how it turned out. However, I was only interested in the play of Leaf draftee Andrew MacWilliam, so the score didn't matter to me. AM is the captain of UND and looks like he has very good potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing, stay at home NHL blueliner. He clearly has NHL size and strength, positions himself well defensively, plays the body efficiently and looks sufficiently mobile for the role of defensive defenseman. He was surprisingly mobile for a man his size and the NCAA does emphasize speed in its game.

He makes the simple first pass efficiently and safely but appears to have very little offensive upside. NHL first rounders Forbort and Skjei both played in the game and he appeared as mobile as either of them. It should be noted, however, that both those players are younger and less experienced than AM. A good comparison for AM might be a poor man's Luke Schenn.

Bottom pairing NHL defenders need time in the AHL to refine their game and they also need a stroke of luck to get the opportunity to establish themselves in the NHL. I am not predicting that AM will make it, just stating that he appears to have certain NHL attributes and that I think he will be worth signing when he finishes his college eligibility. Then we'll see what happens.
I think the best comparison is Matt Greene. Tough as nails and relatively mobile.

Id like to know if he spent time with underhill this summer. If his skating has improved on his own it would be interesting to see whether or not underhill can help further.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
  #623
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Any updates on Rielly recently?

NaiveLeafsFan is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:50 PM
  #624
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Any updates on Rielly recently?


just one game since being sent down, but had an assist, and once again probably the player that is always forced to lead his squad,
wish they would trade him to a contendor, but they won't trade him

good side, is we could see him on the marlies in the playoffs

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
  #625
81
Registered User
 
81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 50
Losing 2-0 after one, Rielly and Valentine (third career game) are the only two defensemen with an even +/-

81 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.