HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Old
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
If they want to see what 55 has, they need to play him with someone other than 22 and 19.
Bingo.

He's generated offense with his limited icetime, and very few of our forwards are getting it done. Time to give him some decent linemates.

I think some are getting too hung up on what Scheifele looks like, as though the occasional slip or his awkward stride mean he's not ready. He's generating chances, making good decisions with the puck, and has been pressuring well on the forecheck.

Personally, I'm dead set against Scheifele being sent down, and I think it would be an absolute travesty if he's sent down without being given a chance in the top 6 and on the PP.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
TS Quint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
May just be me, but I don't really care if Scheifele falls down unless:

a) it puts him out of position.
b) it gets him hurt.

Ladd and Wheeler fall a lot too an they are fine.

Scheifele will benefit from more mass, but the impact of that will be in his ability to skate through traffic and standing and battling infront of the net. I am not worried about other his other wipeouts.
The bigger picture is the reason he is falling is because he needs to improve his stregnth. Too weak for the NHL IMO.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Bingo.

He's generated offense with his limited icetime, and very few of our forwards are getting it done. Time to give him some decent linemates.

I think some are getting too hung up on what Scheifele looks like, as though the occasional slip or his awkward stride mean he's not ready. He's generating chances, making good decisions with the puck, and has been pressuring well on the forecheck.

Personally, I'm dead set against Scheifele being sent down, and I think it would be an absolute travesty if he's sent down without being given a chance in the top 6 and on the PP.
Very much agree with this, though i wouldn't quite say i'm "dead set" against him going down. But so far, i think he's earned some better ice time as he's looked really good.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Bingo.

Did they not give him shifts with Little and with Kane today? He doesn't play every shift with the 4th line.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
The bigger picture is the reason he is falling is because he needs to improve his stregnth. Too weak for the NHL IMO.
And once again did you notice Wheeler falling down all last fall, believe it's more of a confidence thing than anything else.

sipowicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Did they not give him shifts with Little and with Kane today? He doesn't play every shift with the 4th line.
He was put on a line with Antro and Burmi in the 3rd.

Let's see what he can do centering Ladd and Wheeler. Drop Little to the 2nd at RW, put Wellwood (who hasn't done much the last two games) on the 3rd or 4th. Just a thought.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 01-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old
Scheifele55

He played later in the game on a line with Burmistrov and Antropov. He does need to play with a top 6 line to give a good assessment where he's at. If he needs to add strength then thats what Scheiffle should be doing.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
meedle

vCash: 50
Well since Wellwood might be in the doghouse, Maybe we will see him get a chance in Wsh.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
surixon

His strength and skating weren't issues at all today. He only went down a couple of times. He was good on the fore check and was making quicker reads with the puck then he was on Saturday. He needs to play more and he needs some pp time. I don't understand why he isn't getting it especially with poor our pp is ans how starved for goals we are.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
May just be me, but I don't really care if Scheifele falls down unless:

a) it puts him out of position.
b) it gets him hurt.

Ladd and Wheeler fall a lot too an they are fine.

Scheifele will benefit from more mass, but the impact of that will be in his ability to skate through traffic and standing and battling infront of the net. I am not worried about other his other wipeouts.
You summed it up perfectly.

While it's true that Scheifele needs to add strength and improve his skating, that can be said for just about any 19 year old player (if not both aspects, than definitely at least one of them).

Old
01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
PP time is a must to judge him IMO and help the team. Other than Wellwood he's the only true set-up guy we have in the offensive zone.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
His strength and skating weren't issues at all today. He only went down a couple of times. He was good on the fore check and was making quicker reads with the puck then he was on Saturday. He needs to play more and he needs some pp time. I don't understand why he isn't getting it especially with poor our pp is ans how starved for goals we are.
Definitely agree. At least get him on the PP where he has time and space to distribute the puck, we all know he's good at it. I think it'd at least open up some options and give us some creativity on the PP.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:14 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Scheifele, given the chance, WILL generate offense for this team. He's progressed from last year, and looks more confident out there. Give the kid a chance when the top 9 can't produce - if he's not creating something for the team and ends up a liability, send him down, but give him a real shot.

I've watched every single OHL game he's played in (including about 10 live games), and his progression has been great. He tends to thrive under pressure as well - not going to say clutch, but rather he can maintain his game under pressure. Throw him to the sharks - he can handle it, based on what I've seen.

Agree with the comparison to Welly as a setup guy - truthfully, I think he's got more speed than Welly, and has a MUCH more dangerous shot as well.

Do it Noel! Give us:

#hartnelldown2.0!!

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Using your logic, Hartnell from the Flyers should not be in the NHL - because he spends more time on his a** than Mark does.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Bob E

Didn't watch the game, but just over 8 mins TOI seems to be saying Noel prefers to go with more veteran players. If he doesn't get more than 8 mins of ice a game, I can't see chevy keeping him up with the big club.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Didn't watch the game, but just over 8 mins TOI seems to be saying Noel prefers to go with more veteran players. If he doesn't get more than 8 mins of ice a game, I can't see chevy keeping him up with the big club.
If he continues like this I think I'd rather see Wright in than Scheifele... even though Scheifele is a better offensive weapon...
Hopefully the kid can push Wellwood down.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:15 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Yup and a lot of good its doing him right now, they are creating next to nothing.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Very much agree with this, though i wouldn't quite say i'm "dead set" against him going down. But so far, i think he's earned some better ice time as he's looked really good.
There are so many top 6 options right now that it makes me giddy

If Noel keeps:

Kane - Olli - Little

He could go with:

Ladd - Burmi / Scheifele - Wheeler
Welly - Burmi / Scheifele - Antro
Poni - Slater - Thor

Either option gives Scheifele better linemates.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:
He was put on a line with Antro and Burmi in the 3rd.

Let's see what he can do centering Ladd and Wheeler. Drop Little to the 2nd at RW, put Wellwood (who hasn't done much the last two games) on the 3rd or 4th. Just a thought.
I'd be all for that. Little and Wellwood have done nothing. Scheifele may not last more than half a period on the top line but he's earned the chance as much as the others have lost it.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'd be all for that. Little and Wellwood have done nothing. Scheifele may not last more than half a period on the top line but he's earned the chance as much as the others have lost it.
IMO Little has been the lone bright spot on LLW. He steals the puck like a mad man.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:50 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Very frustrating to see Scheifele skating on the 4th line. If we're going to have him up in Winnipeg, got to get him better minutes and linemates.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
There are so many top 6 options right now that it makes me giddy

If Noel keeps:

Kane - Olli - Little

He could go with:

Ladd - Burmi / Scheifele - Wheeler
Welly - Burmi / Scheifele - Antro
Poni - Slater - Thor

Either option gives Scheifele better linemates.
Yeah, I'd really like to see this as well. Much more fun making line combinations now than last year

When I was envisioning this during the game today I had Wheels and Little flipped. Man would the Kane - Olli - Wheeler line be speedy.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Hero of Canton
My very own riot?

If Scheifele is going to make the team this year I think he is going to have to beat out Welly for a spot in the top six, if he can't do this then I don't think he should be here. He looked pretty good today and needs a shot with a better line to show that he is ready to play at this level.

If he is just left on the fourth line for the five games then sent back to Barrie without ever being given an opportunity, then he should never have even brought into camp in the first place.

Hero of Canton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
If Scheifele is going to make the team this year I think he is going to have to beat out Welly for a spot in the top six, if he can't do this then I don't think he should be here. He looked pretty good today and needs a shot with a better line to show that he is ready to play at this level.

If he is just left on the fourth line for the five games then sent back to Barrie without ever being given an opportunity, then he should never have even brought into camp in the first place.
Noel is not going to give him a chance, IMO. Sure he has been moving him around in the lineup in the 2nd half of games, but not a real chance with real players so far. He's getting a few minutes on second PP unit, but nothing real quality yet. Noel's messing with the lines every game is getting quite annoying, IMO.

I'd take Scheifele over Wellwood right now, but we'll see what happens.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Noel is not going to give him a chance, IMO. Sure he has been moving him around in the lineup in the 2nd half of games, but not a real chance with real players so far. He's getting a few minutes on second PP unit, but nothing real quality yet. Noel's messing with the lines every game is getting quite annoying, IMO.

I'd take Scheifele over Wellwood right now, but we'll see what happens.
I agree. Please give the kid a chance to show what he can do. If not just send him down already. Playing 8 minutes on the 4th line doesn't make sense to me.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote