HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
If minuses were awarded for shorthanded goals given up on the powerplay there a few GeeGee players who would be deep in the minus hole.
They are...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
WilcoxHound

you are correct Bruins Fan but unfortunately the majority of volunteers who do the scoresheets aren't aware of this and the minuses go unreported. In reality the only stat that should matter to a team is "W". If you aren't getting "W's" the coaching staff has to determine why and I think that Mr. Paiment in frustration has made his dressing room only talk public to get the attention of those playing for the name on the back of jersey. He should be commended for the tactic. hopefully the message gets through to those it was intended for.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
SnipeShow91

Part 4 of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8egzZ...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:35 AM
northvanman

Laurier beats Western 2-0 to snap the Mustangs' 15 game winning streak. As a fan and follower of Western, this is only a mild upset in IMO. The two earlier games involving these two were both one goal wins by UWO (one in OT) and Laurier has been quietly getting better all season.

There was a comment made in another discussion to the effect that this Western team is a "powerhouse" - I don't agree. They are a strong, balanced team that has gotten better since the season started, but they are really only slightly better than most of the other teams in that division (having said that, the OUA West is probably the strongest, top to bottom, that it's ever been) - 10 of their 21 games have been decided by 1 goal, so it's not like they are blowing the competition away like, for instance, the 2001/2002 Mustang team did. I'm really looking forward to the UWO/Guelph game this weekend, because I continue to believe Guelph is a very good team that has been flying just under the radar.

I still think any of the top 6 teams in this division is more than capable of coming out on top after the playoffs end.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:41 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Western

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Laurier beats Western 2-0 to snap the Mustangs' 15 game winning streak. As a fan and follower of Western, this is only a mild upset in IMO. The two earlier games involving these two were both one goal wins by UWO (one in OT) and Laurier has been quietly getting better all season.

There was a comment made in another discussion to the effect that this Western team is a "powerhouse" - I don't agree. They are a strong, balanced team that has gotten better since the season started, but they are really only slightly better than most of the other teams in that division (having said that, the OUA West is probably the strongest, top to bottom, that it's ever been) - 10 of their 21 games have been decided by 1 goal, so it's not like they are blowing the competition away like, for instance, the 2001/2002 Mustang team did. I'm really looking forward to the UWO/Guelph game this weekend, because I continue to believe Guelph is a very good team that has been flying just under the radar.

I still think any of the top 6 teams in this division is more than capable of coming out on top after the playoffs end.
A 15 game win streak is impressive in any conference. Would they do that in the AUS? No, but they are a dangerous team that can run and gun. they also displayed the ability to defend against a very good UNB team at last years Nationals.
Always a dangerous team to play against!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
northvanman

I agree with you completely - I just don't think they are heads and shoulders above the other good OUA teams. They will have a big challenge trying to win three OUA West best of 3's to get back to the Nationals. They can do it and they should do it, but we all know what can happen in these short series when teams are close.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post

Highlights from yesterday's game:

A very impressive streak from Western, but you are right that Laurier and Western games have been close despite the vast difference in records and standings. As you mentioned, one win was in OT, and the other one goal victory came with Laurier up 2-0 going into the third. Laurier seems to have more trouble with Guelph and Windsor, either of whom could be their first round playoff opponents should Laurier hold onto seventh.

Playoffs this year should be exciting with pretty much any team capable of an upset, especially with the short 2 out of 3 format all the way through.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:36 AM
SnipeShow91

Part 5 of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2nf...ure=youtu.be&a

Hopefully everyone is liking these. We just need a win in one of the them!

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Part 5 of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2nf...ure=youtu.be&a

Hopefully everyone is liking these. We just need a win in one of the them!
Great job!

Ryerson actually has a nice rink.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Great job!

Ryerson actually has a nice rink.
Should be, a lot of $$$ went into that Maple Leaf Gardens Renovation

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
SnipeShow91

Saw the first draft of the OUA schedule for next season, big changes with Laurentian being in the league.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Saw the first draft of the OUA schedule for next season, big changes with Laurentian being in the league.
Are you able to tell what they are doing with the divisions? Still 2? 3? 4? If they stay with 2, a logical move would be to put Laurentian in the east and move Toronto and Ryerson to the west.

Edit: actually, that shift isn't enough -under the scenario above, one team would need to move from west to east to make 2, ten team divisions. Geographically, the obvious choice is UOIT, but I recall someone mentioning sometime ago that UOIT had an agreement to play in the west when they joined the league.

Last edited by northvanman: 01-22-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
WilcoxHound

GeeGees get help from Ryerson

Ryerson's victory over UofT this week denied the Blues a 4 point lead over Ottawa going into the weekend. This could be a weekend of favours for the GeeGees as hopefully the Ravens will soften up the Patriote on Friday just 24 hours before UO plays in Trois Rivieres. Ottawa can use the favours as they will be without #1 goalie Russell Abbott for the foreseeable future. After battling knee pain since a game on Jan.5 he was reluctantly sent to the physio's office this week and was diagnosed with a damaged MCL that will be looked at closer once the swelling subsides. Hopefully new goalie Francois Lacerte who has struggled behind the porous GeeGee's mistake prone defensive play will stand on his head and find the mojo he showed with the Gatineau Olympique last season.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:09 AM
SnipeShow91

Part 6 of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYW6Kg4hAm4

Old
01-26-2013, 10:36 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC lost 4-1 to Army Black Knights in West Point, NY. We got it to 2-1 halfway through the third, then Army scored with 4 minutes left, then on a late 5 on 3. Bad call on the 2nd penalty as the only hit we actually knocked the Black Knight to the ice, they called it roughing. American refs! Game is in Kingston next season

Old
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
SnipeShow91

Part 7 of the Road To The Carr-Harris Cup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPVa...ature=youtu.be

Old
01-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Rob

Watched some of Carelton's 4-3 victory of McGill on ssn this afternoon. I'd be surprsied if the Redmen are back in the nationals this year.

Glad the OUA has afternoon games. Friday and Saturday nights I'm usually watching the UNB or another AUS team. OUA is games are pretty much over by the time I get home. Usually watch UofA out West at night.

I believe the AUS is just having the one afternoon game this year.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Nationals

Any news on who may bid for Nationals after the 2 year stint in
Saskatoon?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
blackmarketmob

Highlights of Laurier vs Brock

Highlights of last Saturday's game at Laurier:

After Laurier's 3-1 win against York tonight, they move to above .500 for the first time since the 2010-2011 season. They are also 7-2-0 in 2013, with only Western (7-1, their loss coming against Laurier) having a better second half record thus far. Laurier, Waterloo and York all have 26 points, and consequently, playoff seedings not yet determined.

As well, for those who did not take in the Carleton vs. McGill game (I did not either), an interesting play occurred at 1:02:20 when McGill player Neil Blunden takes a golf swing at the back of the legs of Carleton forward right off a faceoff and then jumps him from behind. Taylor is rattled, but regains his senses and then a rare CIS fight ensues, with Taylor taking the victory, and the 7 minute power play for his team.

http://www.ssncanada.ca/game/4622/

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 01-31-2013 at 10:17 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
As well, for those who did not take in the Carleton vs. McGill game (I did not either), an interesting play occurred at 1:02:20 when McGill player Neil Blunden takes a golf swing at the back of the legs of Carleton forward right off a faceoff and then jumps him from behind. Taylor is rattled, but regains his senses and then a rare CIS fight ensues, with Taylor taking the victory, and the 7 minute power play for his team.

http://www.ssncanada.ca/game/4622/
That was one nice 9 iron to the back of the leg. Then he jumps on him - I didn't expect that. Despite that - Taylor jumps up and gives back and more. They were chirping before the faceoff - must have been a nasty comment to instigate that hack.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Any news on who may bid for Nationals after the 2 year stint in
Saskatoon?
I was thinking about this and the future of the event last night what do they do from here? its never been in the same conference 2 terms in a row, so with that said it comes back to the OUA or AUS but where? I cannot see Fredericton hosting again already, or do they? Would Moncton be interested again? Acadia and St FX are out of the question only cause of Rink Capacity. PEI could be a possibility at either the Civic Centre or Credit Union place in Summerside but I've never heard a whisper of Interest. It seems the most logical place it could go next in the AUS before returning to Fredericton would be Halifax. St Mary's could Host at the Metro Center, or if Dalhousie pulls through the present issue, possibly they could co host the event and rotate the host berth, between the two teams.

In The OUA I don't know what will happen there. Lakehead has had top of the line attendance since they returned to play, but disappointed with attendance hosting the nationals. I don't know what Nippising's Arena is like, but I cant think of any other teams that get half decent support

Other possibilities

Winnepeg - With the team Manitoba has been Icing this decade, I cant see why they could not pull off what Alberta and Saskatchewan have done and thats pack a University Cup final at the large MTS Center and for the host teams games.

UBC - They have the Facilities to use but interest? probably not

Toronto - Varsity Arena is a great Rink for University hockey but no one in Canada's largest city seems to care, I don't know the arena Capacity of the refurbished Maple Leaf Gardens if it was big enough it would be very cool to host the tournament their for Ryerson but Highly Doubtful.

Trois Rivieres - didnt someone say their was a 5000 seat arena in town?

McGill University - at the Molson Center possibly?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
cishockeyfan

Not Hockey Related but CIS Related has anyone heard anything about plans for UNB hosting the Mens Soccer championship this year?

Im curious because while the field is sufficient for UNB Soccer, it seems weird they got awarded the Soccer Nationals unless they had a plan to alter the setting for the Soccer Nationals. If you look at the venues the mens championship has been played over the past handful of years, they all have a small scale stadium feel to them, Seating sections etc. UNB has but a few rows of Minor baseball field like bleachers at Centre field on one side. I know the side against the Aitken Centre could support a good crowd cause of the large Hill, but I can't imagine them not to have a plan to bring in Temporary Bleachers for the opposite side

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I was thinking about this and the future of the event last night what do they do from here? its never been in the same conference 2 terms in a row, so with that said it comes back to the OUA or AUS but where? I cannot see Fredericton hosting again already, or do they? Would Moncton be interested again? Acadia and St FX are out of the question only cause of Rink Capacity. PEI could be a possibility at either the Civic Centre or Credit Union place in Summerside but I've never heard a whisper of Interest. It seems the most logical place it could go next in the AUS before returning to Fredericton would be Halifax. St Mary's could Host at the Metro Center, or if Dalhousie pulls through the present issue, possibly they could co host the event and rotate the host berth, between the two teams.

In The OUA I don't know what will happen there. Lakehead has had top of the line attendance since they returned to play, but disappointed with attendance hosting the nationals. I don't know what Nippising's Arena is like, but I cant think of any other teams that get half decent support

Other possibilities

Winnipeg - With the team Manitoba has been Icing this decade, I cant see why they could not pull off what Alberta and Saskatchewan have done and thats pack a University Cup final at the large MTS Center and for the host teams games.

UBC - They have the Facilities to use but interest? probably not

Toronto - Varsity Arena is a great Rink for University hockey but no one in Canada's largest city seems to care, I don't know the arena Capacity of the refurbished Maple Leaf Gardens if it was big enough it would be very cool to host the tournament their for Ryerson but Highly Doubtful.

Trois Rivieres - didnt someone say there was a 5000 seat arena in town?

McGill University - at the Molson Center possibly?
When Sask put in their bid there was also a bid from Regina, and possibly Calgary. For Manitoba to have a bid it would need the support of the Jets. Maybe they could offer tickets to the 8,000 people who pay $100 a year to be on the waiting list.

All the CW teams could use the publicity that a national tournament would generate. However, none have demonstrated that they know marketing very well. UBC would have the best facility, having been used in the Olympics.

But it is Ontario's turn. Or maybe the CIS should seize the moment and get MLSE to take charge. [See link from Bison thread: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle8034474/]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

The AUS roster cap for next season has been adjusted from 21 to 22...

http://atlanticuniversitysport.com/g...3-AUS_Meetings

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Not Hockey Related but CIS Related has anyone heard anything about plans for UNB hosting the Mens Soccer championship this year?

Im curious because while the field is sufficient for UNB Soccer, it seems weird they got awarded the Soccer Nationals unless they had a plan to alter the setting for the Soccer Nationals. If you look at the venues the mens championship has been played over the past handful of years, they all have a small scale stadium feel to them, Seating sections etc. UNB has but a few rows of Minor baseball field like bleachers at Centre field on one side. I know the side against the Aitken Centre could support a good crowd cause of the large Hill, but I can't imagine them not to have a plan to bring in Temporary Bleachers for the opposite side
They were held at UPEI in 2005,(mens), and womens in 2010. In 2005, they just had their field converted to turf in time that year, six-row bleachers down one side, none on the other, and they do not extend all the way down, it is interrupted by the announcing booth etc in the middle. The men's in 2005 had a lot of people for the UPEI games. There were some 2500 at the final game last year at UVic but they are a soccer powerhouse and besides,they still have decent weather in November. I don't think the big financial guarantees are demanded in soccer like they are for basketball, hockey, and football. So they should be OK at UNB, no worse than UPEI. In fact UPEI is hosting the mens again in 2014.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote