Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Uniballs are wonderful things.

Unless we're talking about Kessel or Lance Armstrong.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
FrailSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarHockey View Post
Very nice pen sir. It's hard to find a good pen, ya know?
It's a mighty first world pain, my friend.

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
BigG44

30 Thoughts from Elliotte Friedman on the unsigned RFAs

Quote:
This is purely a guess, but I think Benn gets done first
Quote:
Benn is eligible for salary arbitration next summer and Skinner's contract would be a comparable. Dallas doesn't want to go that high unless UFA years are involved. You can certainly find some similar players making less, but the largest contracts usually become the flashpoints. So there's a philosophical difference, but you don't get the sense there is a personal one, unlike his unsigned brethren.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
jagrgodr

woah woah let's get back to talking about that wonderful pen guys.. get back to what really matters

jagrgodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
LordHelmet

I want Jamie signed as much as anyone, but I don't think that the team's immediate performance right now is going to have any effect on negotiations. And I'm glad for that. 2-3 games now seems pretty minor when you're talking about the long term impact on the team. By the looks of it, we're going to have lots of young players coming through the system and the handling of Benn's situation will set a precedent for all of these kids.

Hold the line, Joe. Get the right deal.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
BigG44

At this point, if it takes $6.5 million on 5 years ... I don't care anymore.

Dallas has $30.9 million in cap space next season. They need to sign a backup goalie so let's roughly estimated that to be at or below $1.5 million since both options (Nilstorp and Bachman) will be UFAs (Bachs is listed at RFA but he'll likely be classified as Group 6 after season).

Jordie Benn is the only free agent on D. Realistically if he plays 48 games or so, you'll probably see him sign for a contract similar to Grossmann or Fristic's bridge (Gross: 2 years for $975K vs. Fistric: 3 years for $1 million). Best case scenario, you'd see Robidas leave via trade/amnesty buyout and Oleksiak replace him for a cap savings of about $1.9 million.

Should Roy re-sign, you're probably looking at at least $6 million. With Morrow, Jagr, and Ryder coming off the books, let's say 1 re-signs for around $4 million. The other 2 are replaced internally likely by players on ELCs.

Nystorm and Wandell are also likely replaced by ELC's or contracts for similar or less money.

That means even with a $6.5 million hit, you can afford him under the new lower cap.

Projecting 2 years out, you're going to have to pay Reilly Smith, Cody Eakin, Brenden Dillon, and Philip Larsen. Larsen stand to make the most, and I'd imagine Smith and Eakin would be in a position for a standard bridge between $1.5 to $2 million. Smith has the potential to breakout and command more. Dillon would likely be looking at a contract similar to Larsen's bridge. Again ... you can handle that hit and the cap could slightly go up.

It's far from ideal, but overpay on a 5 year deal and get it over with. I still agree with them to stand strong on a shorter term deal. You're just killing yourself in future negotiations with other RFAs if you pay UFA value on a bridge deal of 2 or 3 years.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
BigG44

Bob Sturm has always been a player apologist, but this is the latest of several tweets that are negative about Benn. He even called him selfish on Saturday IIRC.

Quote:
Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm

Tyler Seguin makes plays every time I look up today. And the Stars want to pay Jamie Benn Seguin-money. What exactly is the hold up here?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
BigG44

This guy is an intern for CTV Victoria:

Quote:
Matt Inglis ‏@Inglis_14

Jamie Benn still skating with the Vic Royals-No deal in Dallas yet
So he's for sure still in Victoria.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Bob Sturm has always been a player apologist, but this is the latest of several tweets that are negative about Benn. He even called him selfish on Saturday IIRC.
I can't blame them for trying to get the best deal, but it is extremely selfish.

They just expect to get everything they want from this deal, but the sound of it.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Czech Your Math

Wait... I thought only Russians and Euros held out and tried to squeeze out every last drop... and North American players only care about winning.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
They just expect to get everything they want from this deal, but the sound of it.
Your use of a pronoun there is appropriate because I can't tell who is being selfish in this process.

Sturm is convinced Benn has been offered a very fair deal at any range, but who knows for sure.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Hegemon21

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that if the Stars don't win a cup before he hits UFA Benn is out the door as fast as his feet can carry him. Hell, maybe even if they do get one.

Hegemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that if the Stars don't win a cup before he hits UFA Benn is out the door as fast as his feet can carry him. Hell, maybe even if they do get one.
I'm afraid iv'e got some bad news...

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
We're screwed big time if that's the case.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:09 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
Yea, I get the feeling he's going to bolt for Vancouver.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

If Benn truly doesn't want to be a part of a fish bowl hockey market, like he said, then he wouldn't "bolt" to riot city Vancouver. Besides, I'm not convinced that the 'Nucks will still be on top in a couple years.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Troy McClure

It might be worth taking what he said with a grain of salt. Players tend to praise the best parts of wherever they are. If he was in Toronto, he'd probably say how much he loves playing for an Original Six team with such a rich history. Saying he likes playing without the media scrutiny doesn't mean much of anything.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Hegemon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
If Benn truly doesn't want to be a part of a fish bowl hockey market, like he said, then he wouldn't "bolt" to riot city Vancouver. Besides, I'm not convinced that the 'Nucks will still be on top in a couple years.
I don't know if I buy his whole "shy" and "aw shucks" schtick. I think he'd gladly play in a big market if the price was right. You're probably right about Vancouver, but it could easily be anywhere else. If he was interested in being the face of this franchise, he'd already have signed I think. I can't wait till' more details come out after all of this shakes down. Then we should know a little bit better what kind of dude we're dealing with. I understand him being a young guy and wanting to keep his options open for the future, but something seems a little shady here. Maybe I'm just panicking a bit too much at this point.

Hegemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
I know he said that, but I'll believe it when he signs a franchise contract here.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It might be worth taking what he said with a grain of salt. Players tend to praise the best parts of wherever they are. If he was in Toronto, he'd probably say how much he loves playing for an Original Six team with such a rich history. Saying he likes playing without the media scrutiny doesn't mean much of anything.
For sure, but drawing conclusions that he has a foot out the door because he hasn't been signed, is a little more far-fetched to me.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Troy McClure

Yeah, my assumption is that he wants more money than the Stars are offering. Everything else is secondary.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

I don't have the insight most of you have when it comes contract length and amount, but...
Everything involving our system and lineups rely on Benn being in our line up. As far as I am concerned, we should sign him for as long as he wants, and pay him appropriately to that time frame. Keeping our best player happy, and secure in the franchise is paramount. Just my 2 cents.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
I don't have the insight most of you have when it comes contract length and amount, but...
Everything involving our system and lineups rely on Benn being in our line up. As far as I am concerned, we should sign him for as long as he wants, and pay him appropriately to that time frame. Keeping our best player happy, and secure in the franchise is paramount. Just my 2 cents.
What if he wants 4 years to get right to UFA age?

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Maybe I'm being extremely naive or unrealistically optimistic, but I just don't see any reason to panic here. Both sides are dealing with a new set of parameters and both are trying to get the best deal possible. I don't think the timing of a deal has anything whatsoever to do with how the team performs, either. I'm definitely going to hold off on drawing any long term conclusions as to Benn's desire to play in Dallas. Somebody older can probably help me out here but not all of Modano's contract extensions were easy as pie, were they? And at one point in time Mr. Avalanche himself Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet with the New York Rangers.

And Sturm publicly calling Benn selfish, even if he has an ear-piece at the negotiating table, isn't really his place. I'd love to know how much he makes and publicly debate whether it's too much or too little.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
i take the long-term health of the franchise view. be patient. don't make emotional decisions based on the first 2 games. don't rush to get a contract done just for the sake of getting one done. make sure it's the best one the club can get.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote