HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Game #2| Jan. 20, 2013|Flyers at Sabres |12:30 p.m. ET II

Old
01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Yes, Bryz has been very impressive. Looks like a different goalie. I have no idea what he did during the offseason, but his mechanics look much improved.
Little things are improved, like simply directing the puck into the corner instead of just making the save and letting it slide wherever.

I would like an elite W on this team, not only for G in EV situations but also for a potent PP. An elite winger would allow the teams depth to become a strength, plus you would have guys fighting to stay up with the club. Gotta get a big time finisher.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We still have about 95% of the season left to play. That's not an exaggerated made up stat, that's actually about how much we have left. It's too early to get so dramatic. We aren't the only team lacking cohesion, it's just what happens when you dive into a season with minimal camp and no preseason.
I agree with this...........Geez, look at the Rags getting blown out etc? It is what it is, early in the season.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Technically, the next two games againt NJ and the Rangers will even be tougher than the first two because of system mismatch issues.

If they drop both, I'll be officially switch to panic mode
This is why Sunday's loss hurt more. After the loss to the Pens, we really needed that win considering our next two opponents. We could be 0-4 going into next weekend with almost 10% of the season over.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I would like an elite W on this team, not only for G in EV situations but also for a potent PP. An elite winger would allow the teams depth to become a strength, plus you would have guys fighting to stay up with the club. Gotta get a big time finisher.
I think you make a run at Corey Perry or Alex Semin or Jarome Iginla and if you land one of them, you buyout Briere.

I know there's a lot of negative sentiment around here towards Alex Semin, but every time I watch Voracek or Hartnell shoot the puck on the powerplay from the right circle after a nice feed from G, I think how it would've been a goal if we had a sniper like Semin. I'm also a pretty big fan of advanced statistics/metrics and they tend to show that Semin gets a bum rap for defense/effort despite being pretty decent. He'd be an upgrade from Danny Briere in every way (except leadership).

Obviously though, I think the first target is Perry and there's no explanation necessary there.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Technically, the next two games againt NJ and the Rangers will even be tougher than the first two because of system mismatch issues.

If they drop both, I'll be officially switch to panic mode
best strap in cuz thats a distinct possibility..

if this team does go 0-4, things could start to get ugly from there out. given how short the season is

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
MVW

vCash: 50
I don't think there's any cause for panic, its frustrating to lose the first 2 but there's obvious signs for optimism. Bryz and G have looked good. Schenn and Couturier are only going to get stronger as the season wears on. Yes the Flyers could use a true top pairing PMD, but a top line winger is a luxury that I don't think is worth over paying for at this point. Give it time, I think the Flyers will finish top 5 in the East.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't think there's any cause for panic, its frustrating to lose the first 2 but there's obvious signs for optimism. Bryz and G have looked good. Schenn and Couturier are only going to get stronger as the season wears on. Yes the Flyers could use a true top pairing PMD, but a top line winger is a luxury that I don't think is worth over paying for at this point. Give it time, I think the Flyers will finish top 5 in the East.
i dont think this team is going anywhere because of lav's scheme it's what got him fired in carolina and he refused to change, it's happening in philla, great coaches change their schemes if it's not working, that's why philla coaches get fired because they dont change their schemes and it's predicable, plus homer refusing to get a top line player will hurt this team and resigning hartnell was a dumb move, he's sloppy on his skates and cant shoot, amnesty him and sign perry, maybe bring jagr back or trade for bobby ryan, get a top pairing defensemen, they'll need one if timms retires.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Agreed. I just hope if the house of cards start falling this season, Holmgren can wait for the off-season to sign someone (or trade). The massive over payment required before the trade deadline this year will cost way too much.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yikes, what happened in the third period? I had to leave my house after the second period and thought it would at least be a game. Jeeze.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yikes, what happened in the third period? I had to leave my house after the second period and thought it would at least be a game. Jeeze.
Refs took the game over for the most part

01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Refs took the game over for the most part
From what I saw, they already had taken over at the point they called goaltender interference when Ryan Miller shoved a player on the Flyers outside of the blue paint and waved off the goal.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
best strap in cuz thats a distinct possibility..

if this team does go 0-4, things could start to get ugly from there out. given how short the season is
I said on here that this team would start the season off 2-5. its a tough 7 games in 11 days

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Flyers have just gotten incredibly unlucky this year so far (even G said they haven't gotten any bounces yet).

Couple deflection goals off of Flyers skates/sticks. Two blown calls yesterday.

This is a good hockey team that will be fine.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:49 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i dont think this team is going anywhere because of lav's scheme it's what got him fired in carolina and he refused to change, it's happening in philla, great coaches change their schemes if it's not working, that's why philla coaches get fired because they dont change their schemes and it's predicable, plus homer refusing to get a top line player will hurt this team and resigning hartnell was a dumb move, he's sloppy on his skates and cant shoot, amnesty him and sign perry, maybe bring jagr back or trade for bobby ryan, get a top pairing defensemen, they'll need one if timms retires.
Hartnell has been ok in my eyes so far.His saucer pass leading to Gs
's goal against the Pens was close to perfection. he's a little overpaid though.
Bobby Ryan will cost the world and Jagr will be burnt before playoffs start as every year, next year he is what 42? no longer worth the money and the role he is asking for.
If only Schenn could learn how to use his skillset more efficiently playing wing....it just appears like he doesn't fit anywhere right now.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
flyershockey

Once Mez is back to 100 percent, I'd love to see him in Voracek's spot on the first powerplay unit. That triangle system is only going to work if you have two shooting options from the half wall. Mez would fit in there very nicely, and let's face it, Voracek isn't a shooting threat from that position at all.

Other than that, get Briere healthy, get some bounces to finally go their way, and sure up the penalty kill. This is still a very good team and Bryz appears to have brought his game early on in the season.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Thus far there are two things I want to see more of.

I want more team wide nastiness. Finish your checks every shift. Physically wear down the other team. Buff is not that tough of a team, yet we let them physically manhandle us.

The other, less god damn passing on the PP. In fact less passing in the O-zone over all. Not only does each pass increase the chance of a turnover, we are obviously still shaking rust. Quite a few times we have sent the puck careening out of the O-zone by ourselves. That can not happen.

Be physical and put the puck on net.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Flyers have just gotten incredibly unlucky this year so far (even G said they haven't gotten any bounces yet).

Couple deflection goals off of Flyers skates/sticks. Two blown calls yesterday.

This is a good hockey team that will be fine.
You can't blame it entirely on luck. Both Pittsburgh goals were due directly to cleanly lost face-offs and even though I don't remember all the Buffalo goals two of them went in due to Vanek breakaways. That's not bad luck, it's bad defense.

With that said though luck hasn't been on our side either.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Quite a few times we have sent the puck careening out of the O-zone by ourselves. That can not happen.
yea i distinctly remember at least 2 occasions over the weekend were we were setup in the Ozone and we suddenly passed the puck clean back towards Bryz' end for NO reason..

not even a bad pass but as if the Flyers thought there was a 6th man entering in late or something, hahah

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:16 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You can't blame it entirely on luck. Both Pittsburgh goals were due directly to cleanly lost face-offs and even though I don't remember all the Buffalo goals two of them went in due to Vanek breakaways. That's not bad luck, it's bad defense.

With that said though luck hasn't been on our side either.
exactly. case in point Otts goal. all 4 Pkers found themselves down to low and Ott was by himself. Our PK unit has looked like they have never killed penalties before.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
toughfighter83*

this has been problem for the last couple of seasons, it's not just this season, it's been this way since lav took over, the scheme of it, it's just not working anymore, if this team plays a bad season change has to be made whether it's coaching, roster, gm, something has to change.

i mean the rangers have the best roster, they are playing terrible, pittsburgh doesnt have great talent but they are playing well, devils dont have the best roster and if we lose against them with the trap, then it's got to be the coaching.

i think the penguins coach has done something different with his coaching style, they are playing more defense against us than in last year's playoffs.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
this has been problem for the last couple of seasons, it's not just this season, it's been this way since lav took over, the scheme of it, it's just not working anymore, if this team plays a bad season change has to be made whether it's coaching, roster, gm, something has to change.

i mean the rangers have the best roster, they are playing terrible, pittsburgh doesnt have great talent but they are playing well, devils dont have the best roster and if we lose against them with the trap, then it's got to be the coaching.

i think the penguins coach has done something different with his coaching style, they are playing more defense against us than in last year's playoffs.
They had the same level of defense. The difference was their goalie wasn't incredibly terrible.

I also don't get how you think we've had problems since Lavi came in...unless you think a trip to the Finals and two trips the the second round is a problem.

01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:

They play a stagnant trap just like the Lightning do. They've done it every season since they dropped Therrien; the only thing that varies is the number of picks they run (always more in the post-season when the refs tend to overlook that crap.) Also, the Penguins don't have great talent... AYFKM?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:

Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang say hello

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Ryker

I hope Coburn and Grossmann get broken up, I can't believe how slow they are.

Anyway, I don't think we played that bad, really, but there's not much creativity on the offensive end. Giroux and Simmonds were the ones who stood out most to me, and Hartnell, Voracek and Wellwood also looked good. I expected a bit more from Voracek, though, because while he was noticeable, nothing he did really led to anything. Schenn and Coutourier were underwhelming, and I hope Schenn gets taken off the first line. He's my favourite player on the team right now, but he didn't endear himself further in the past two games. I don't really have much of a strong opinion on other forwards. I might have expected more from offensive spark from Fedotenko, but after seeing a couple of Donbass's games this year, I guess I shouldn't have anyway. Laughton looked alright, as well. I'm not sure that warrants him staying, though, since I think he's replaceable by, say, Sestito. I don't know what would be better for his development, staying with the Flyers or going back to Oshawa.

As far as defence is concerned, I thought Grossmann was really bad, Coburn was a bit better, but not 2nd D-man good. Timonen played great, and I thought Schenn did really well in both games, as well, but then I realized he took that bad penalty on second Buffalo's goal and the one with the too many men on the ice right before it. He also got outskated on that second penalty that led to Buffalo's winning goal. So I'm not sure what to think of him at the moment. Like I said, my impression of him prior to that was a really good one, but those events kind of soured it for me. The third pairing looks decent to me, as well, and Foster does not look like a spare part just waiting to be replaced.

Bryz was very sharp, not much to comment there.

All in all, I thought our defence was better than our offence, though.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Coburn has looked slow to me. His straight ahead speed hasn't been the same this year. Maybe he just isn't fully conditioned yet.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote