HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win!

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
RNH 93 rulz

vCash: 500
i was very impressed with petry, great game! love the fact coach sends out nail in ot for couple of shifts and lets nuge take d-zone facoffs, also in ot!

Old
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH 93 rulz View Post
i was very impressed with petry, great game! love the fact coach sends out nail in ot for couple of shifts and lets nuge take d-zone facoffs, also in ot!
Ya I think as a motivational speaker, he really knows how to instill confidence within his own players.

"Omg Ralph is letting me take a defensive zone face off in OT... I think I am able to do this! In fact, I know I can."

Old
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Over analyzing for sure. I feel like its unusual for a coach to be answering questions about whose fault a particular goal was in an mostly defensively-sound game.
Yeah, let's overanalyze that instead.

In all seriousness tho, presumably it was just because Rishaug blamed Gagner. Might as well set the record straight.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Technically Eager won the fight but Kassian did more damage.
How do you not win the fight after landing the landing the last few blows bringing the guy down on ice and finishing on top of him??

Doing fist pumps to jack up the crowd after doesnt mean youve won the fight..
We won the fight because Kassian (who was playing on the top line with the Sedins and was very effective) was taken off the ice for the last 5 min of the game in exchange a guy who likely wasn't going to get any more shifts. Smart move by Krueger.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Dabomb

I just knew Hemsky was gonna scored on the shootout after I saw him spit and then stick his tongue out before he picked up the puck lol. Loved watching the team celebration after they won too.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
I knew it!
This win was Horcoff's fault.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

I'm going to call it as I see it, Shawn Horcoff had a strong game in his "new" role on the team, lacked finish, but getting chances and creating turnovers is nothing to sneeze at.

I also like Belanger's game, simple solid. According to the stats all the Centers were good in the draw, bodes well going forward.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So, if I understand correctly, the answer to our "problem" is to play under a system you "created", and as a strong indicator of your hockey knowledge, you state that Hemsky and (this is the baffling one) Nick Schultz had bad games?

Dude...
Dude. DUDE.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm going to call it as I see it, Shawn Horcoff had a strong game in his "new" role on the team, lacked finish, but getting chances and creating turnovers is nothing to sneeze at.

I also like Belanger's game, simple solid. According to the stats all the Centers were good in the draw, bodes well going forward.
agree... With the now role, Horc can whiff all he wants and I wont mind it. That line created pressure all night.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937

Old
01-21-2013, 05:21 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
That was probably my favourite thing from Schultz last night. The Sportsnet highlights have it for those looking to see it again. If he can do that a few more times, players are going to think twice before running him.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Both goals against were Potter/Gagner IMO.

If SS back checked at all on the first goal he could have easily neutralized Edler and taken some pressure off Potter who blew his gap control on the play, probably because he thought SS was going to check Edler instead of coasting back into the play behind him.

On the 2nd goal Whitney followed the puck carrier into the corner like he was supposed to on the play. The other Dman is supposed to cover the low slot and Gagner needs to cover Kassian drifting in from the high slot.

Great end result considering Hall and RNH had poor games. Horcoff was great, and the top 4 on D was very good as well.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:32 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Horcoff was great. Nice to see.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Ummmm. I am sure Potter rushed him as soon as crossed the blueline and the shot was from beyond the circle and from the side. Potter played that near perfect IMO.

It might have deflected slightly off of Potters skate or stick but if it didn't... and i dont think it did... That was a straight up bad goal. As per the announcing "that is one Dub would really want to have back". The announcers commented multiple times through out the game that Dub was at fualt for that one.

People just make stuff up to suit thier hate... I guess.
I like Potter as a 5th or 6th guy.

I went back and re-watched replay and Potter did not play it well. He had to pivot and skate to catch Lapierre coming out of the box is true, but it was obvious while Potter was still in neutral zone that (a) pass wasn't going to Lapierre (b) Lapierre was of no danger since he was straddling blue line, going away from the net and (c) he had help in the shape of Smid coming off the bench to take Lapierre.

Potter should've turn and pressured Edler andnot given up 20+ feet inside the blueline. A guy can make a bad read or a bad play a not be garbage. Chalk it up to being out of practice and timing is off a little bit.

I also considered calling part 2 " Are neutral zones shorter in North American Rinks? "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Here, take my blueline part 1.JPG‎ (67.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Here, take my blueline part 2.JPG‎ (52.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Here, take my blueline part 3.JPG‎ (32.1 KB, 14 views)

Old
01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Oilers win! Oilers win after being down 2-0! Oilers win after being down 2-0 to the Canucks! Oilers win after being down 2-0 to the Canucks, IN THE SHOOTOUT! WOW!
This is quote material.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
That's avatar worthy stuff right there.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I like Potter as a 5th or 6th guy.

I went back and re-watched replay and Potter did not play it well. He had to pivot and skate to catch Lapierre coming out of the box is true, but it was obvious while Potter was still in neutral zone that (a) pass wasn't going to Lapierre (b) Lapierre was of no danger since he was straddling blue line, going away from the net and (c) he had help in the shape of Smid coming off the bench to take Lapierre.

Potter should've turn and pressured Edler andnot given up 20+ feet inside the blueline. A guy can make a bad read or a bad play a not be garbage. Chalk it up to being out of practice and timing is off a little bit.

I also considered calling part 2 " Are neutral zones shorter in North American Rinks? "
Pretty easy for the unbiased eye to also see SS in full glide mode only a few feet behind Edler.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That's avatar worthy stuff right there.
<--------- My thoughts exactly.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Pretty easy for the unbiased eye to also see SS in full glide mode only a few feet behind Edler.

Yeah and Dubnyk probably should've made the save. Yakupov made a bad pass/Edler made a great read. Usually goals don't happen because 1 person screwed up, but because multiple people screw up. The game happens fast, they're all rusty. Still Potter's read/react/gap control is (in my opinion) the primary error here. If he holds his blueline better, Gagner might catch Edler even though he's coasting on the backcheck, maybe? Maybe Edler dumps it in and goes for a change? who knows.... but giving up the blueline like that is a timing thing that doesn't come back overnight. I didn't say shoot Potter, waive him or bring back Kurtis Foster.....all I said was bad play.... happens. Did Gagner or Dubnyk help Potter ...no. Did Ganger cause Potter to give up the blueline like he was a member of the French Army? no. Gonna happen again and again.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:50 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I fail to see why yakupov is at fault when it as hemsky that made the pass and turned it over.
Uh, no. Hemsky is #83, Yakupov is #64. Hemsky is right handed, Yakupov is left handed. It was Yakupov passing to Hemsky.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
An unbiased eye would also clearly see Sam hustling back to cover the 3rd man on the rush(number 5).

Old
01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Uh, no. Hemsky is #83, Yakupov is #64. Hemsky is right handed, Yakupov is left handed. It was Yakupov passing to Hemsky.
Doesn't matter, It's Dubnyks fault for letting in a soft goal like that.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:01 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Well, mostly it's on Whitney for chasing, but Potter has to see that and move to the front. Watch the replay again: Whitney goes chasing Sedin, Potter is standing still with his man behind him and a clear path to the front of the net. He's about three feet from Kassian when that puck goes in.
That "other D-man" is Whitney, not Potter. Potter is watching his man, who is at the far face off dot.

Here, let me make this very simple for you:

In the green circle is Potter and the player he is covering. In the red circles are Whitney and the man he is supposed to be covering. Plain and simple, the second goal was either Whitney or Gagner's fault, depending on the system and responsibilities; the coach tells us it's not Gagner, so we know it's Whitney.

Any questions?

Old
01-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

Eberle's shot % is 20.0. Is it sustainable?

Old
01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Eberle's shot % is 20.0. Is it sustainable?
Nothing is sustainable, there is only unsustainable.

Closed Thread