HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 05:49 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
6M/year is a little steep. I agree on buying up as many UFA years as possible, but PK and Meehan have to bring something to this negotiation. At 8 years, I'd expect a cap-hit of ~5M. Back-load it if you have to, but after this arduous process I think MB expects at least a little longterm cap room if he's committing to PK for 8 years.
It works the exact opposite as what you're suggesting. To buy those UFA years costs more dollars. This isn't going to change. At 8 years for a 23 year old there isn't any more inherent risk taken on than any other contracts we sign. The only risk is injury and all players carry that risk.

Six million might sound steep, and for this year it's probably 500k overpayment. I think people tend to forget about the 5million dollar players in this league. PK is guy you give this money to. This isn't overpaying a 30 yr old Gionta, or 33 yr old cole, this is a 23 yr old, about to enter his prime, stud dman.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:50 PM
mashmont

6 years 36 ends up being a fair deal for Subban IMO. Habs would be stupid to hold Subban out for games if that's what he wants.

It may not be the best deal contract-wise this year, but it will for sure pay off on the 4-6th years of the contract.

I'd have no problem with the B's signing him to an offer sheet for that.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:52 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
If we have to trade him which I don't want to I would love Ryan Murray 1st rounder for subban+something..., we would have 2 high picks in a stacked draft but I doubt Columbus would accept

Old
01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turianel View Post
www.danslescolisses report that Subban may have reduce what he want to 24 millions on 6 years.

Good enough with me.
I think the source cited the John Carlson contract which is exactly the same contract for about the same kind of player simply because it would make sense.

I don't think it's true but it would be fair for both parties.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Digger03

Anyone else worried that MB thinks that Tinordi and Beaulieu are the future stars we need on the blueline and thats why he doesn't want to give PK the long contract? We haven't had a player like PK in a long time with so much enthusiasm and flare but is that what we want as the face of the Habs for 6 more years? I keep going back and forth about the situation and I just cant wrap my head around what the hold up is?

Old
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger03 View Post
Anyone else worried that MB thinks that Tinordi and Beaulieu are the future stars we need on the blueline and thats why he doesn't want to give PK the long contract? We haven't had a player like PK in a long time with so much enthusiasm and flare but is that what we want as the face of the Habs for 6 more years? I keep going back and forth about the situation and I just cant wrap my head around what the hold up is?
No, I'm pretty sure Bergevin mistakenly believes that holding all RFA's to bridge contracts is the way to go regardless of the players ability, which is absurd. Many on this board are willing to make the same mistakes we've made as an organization year after year and year after year. I've heard this song before "we need to get rid of this cancer", "no one is above the team" and all the other nonsense that surrounds this once great organization.

You don't trade your best player, period. You certainly don't trade him when you think your back is against the wall. It's the perfect time for an experienced GM to rip you off.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
That's not why he's not giving him a big contract, he's not giving him a big contract because he hasn't fully proven his role yet. OK he gave 22mins a game last year but the team finished last.

PK should agree to a bridge contract, it could be more beneficial for him, but he and his agent want everything now. If let's say we would of got rid of Kaberle in the off-season PK would of signed a long time ago, but there's simply no room on the cap for MB this summer so he doesn't want to forfeit the UFA and trade market.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Did he really say that ?

Old
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Alexdaman

Funny how everyone hates the Gauthier era but everyone just wants to keep repeating the same mistakes.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No you quoted me about my reading comprehension in regard to him being offered 1 million per, which he clearly would not be.

And no I am not paid what I am worth, most people aren't in REAL life, That is also a strawman argument as there is no comparison of Hockey Players to people that have jobs that do something other than entertain. Do you think you could live on 3.75 million? DO you think the habs wouldn't give him that if that is would agree to 3.75? I don't see almost 4 million as a low ball contract. And you also have no idea what they are offering, what if the habs are offering 5 and he isn't signing? WHat then is your repsonse. My point is, IF he wants huge money he needs to keep in mind that other contracts need to be signed or he will continue to play with weber, diaz st dennis etc. If tinordi looks good for two years and plays well with subban should he also earn 4 million or so. We either go with a lot of good players or a few great players and barely spare parts, cap era reality.

Great posts Doc.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Funny how everyone hates the Gauthier era but everyone just wants to keep repeating the same mistakes.
Do you mean letting UFA's walk for nothing, instead of trading them when they had the chance?

Old
01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Did he really say that ?
LOL. No, he did not say that. The poster you're quoting IS AFRAID that Marc Bergevin _MIGHT_ think that way.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:15 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I usually agree with you 100% but I disagree here. We traded Chelios and never replaced him... Roy the same thing. John LeClair. Eric Desjardins. All of these guys were moved and none were replaced.

We lose Subban, we lose the best defenseman we've had since Chelios.

Yes, we do disagree on this issue. And I appreciate that we can disagree without having to resort to making it personal.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Kjell Dahlin

No PK in the annual team photo:

In the context of a 48 games sprint to the playoffs, I hope he does not intend to stay at home during 2-3 more weeks. Just sign a freakin’ 1 year deal worth 4,5M$... and game on!

Old
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Dharvey33

Price 6.5 mil

Myers 5.5 mil

Fowler 4 mil

Hall 5 mil

That's about it if those players got those kind of contracts, why wouldn't he? If i was Subban of course i wouldn't sign for less than 5 mil that's what he is worth in the market today, why sell yourself short? Hometown discount? Give me a break less then 1% of the player that sign deals take a hometown discount.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I don't buy the 6/24 M rumor. That would be bad business for Subban/Meehan to lower their price that low and completely absurd for Bergevin to say no.

At the very very very least he'd be looking at Pacioretty's 6 year/27 M deal.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

wonder what Whity did in that pic that got people's attention

Old
01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Price 6.5 mil

Myers 5.5 mil

Fowler 4 mil

Hall 5 mil

That's about it if those players got those kind of contracts, why wouldn't he? If i was Subban of course i wouldn't sign for less than 5 mil that's what he is worth in the market today, why sell yourself short? Hometown discount? Give me a break less then 1% of the player that sign deals take a hometown discount.
The ONLY player that PK is better than is Fowler. You must be joking. He's worth 4 mil a season> if he wants 6 then trade him I dont care

Old
01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
The ONLY player that PK is better than is Fowler. You must be joking. He's worth 4 mil a season> if he wants 6 then trade him I dont care
You say that you don't care, but you'll be really pissed if the Habs miss the playoffs for four or five years.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Your saying Myers is better than PK? On what planet are you living Pk is better offensively and defensively than Myers plus they have roughly the same age.

Myers scored 26 points last year and 36 the year before he is regressing more than he is improving, and he wasn't sharp at all in his own zone last year. I'd take Fowler before him right now he is a lot better than Myers offensively and he is improving at least.

Jack Johnson one of the worst defensive player in the league is paid 4.2 millions and brings roughly the same offense than PK give me a break Pk being 23 deserve easily 5 mil.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSeguin View Post
6 years 36 ends up being a fair deal for Subban IMO. Habs would be stupid to hold Subban out for games if that's what he wants.

It may not be the best deal contract-wise this year, but it will for sure pay off on the 4-6th years of the contract.

I'd have no problem with the B's signing him to an offer sheet for that.

Wouldn't be a good idea for the Bruins to be doing that with Rask soon to be a RFA.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
If he asked for 6, then negotiate to get it down to 5.25 - 5,5 for 5/6 years. You simply have to figure out a way to sign your best defenseman instead of insisting on a bridge contract. Gainey has the stupid policy of no negotiation during the season. This policy allowed players like Surray, Koivu to walk away without any compensation. And now we have MB who insisted on bridge contracts for all players who finished their ELC. Any GM who is fixated on a certain principle is just a bad GM. You have to look at each situation and react accordingly.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You say that you don't care, but you'll be really pissed if the Habs miss the playoffs for four or five years.
I'm still waiting for all these ''trade P.K.'' folks to come up with a non-Seth Jones solution as to how we acquire a top pairing defenceman to replace him in the next 5-10 years. The odds of drafting a top pairing defenceman are ridiculously small and it's probably even harder to trade or sign for one.

Also, Hall is 6 M cap hit.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm still waiting for all these ''trade P.K.'' folks to come up with a non-Seth Jones solution as to how we acquire a top pairing defenceman to replace him in the next 5-10 years. The odds of drafting a top pairing defenceman are ridiculously small and it's probably even harder to trade or sign for one.

Also, Hall is 6 M cap hit.
I'm even more skeptical than you are.

I don't think replacing Subban with Jones is a "solution", I think it's a lateral move.

The solution imho is a Jones-Subban first pairing, or, some other, weaker first pairing with Subban compensated by a superior forward corps that includes whoever we draft in the top-5 this year.

We're a basement team with or without Subban this year. However, he is a part of the solution if we want to return to bubble team status by 2014 and to contender status by 2015.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
sheed36

If the Habs did sign PK to a lets say a 6 year 24 million dollar deal his cap hit would be 24M divided by the first 5 years correct?

Closed Thread