Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Stupid shootouts! Jets battle to earn a point in Beantown 2-1 SO Loss

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Boreal

vCash: 500
I certainly hope Ladd shows something against Washington tomorrow, because his play has been less than inspiring as of late.

Postma, in spite of his errors, is beginning to grow on me. I see that he definitely has upside, and can be a major plus in the offensive zone. Hopefully Huddy can help to iron out his game.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I certainly hope Ladd shows something against Washington tomorrow, because his play has been less than inspiring as of late.
I actually really liked Ladd's jump in the opener. He didn't get results, but I thought he had a ton of jump. He stood out to me, and people in my section were commenting on it as well.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Coaching staff gets a poor grade from me. Noel simply put needs to do better. Continually played the vets (Ladd and Wheeler) who were stinking up the joint over young players who were playing well in Scheifele and Burmie who imo earned more icetime. If he's not prepared to put our young players in positions to succeed then he needs to go. I also thought the pp was horrendously coached today, no flow and once again the coach trotted out players who weren't getting it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I thought Burmi was playing good, why was his icetime limited in the third? As I said before, when Noel changes up lines Burmi, Welly and Scheif get the short end of the stick, but he'll never bench a guy like Ladd, who sucked today and had that horrid giveaway on the first goal and looks of shape.
I think Noel knows where this team's bread is buttered. Guys like Ladd, Little and Wheeler are absolutely critical to this team having any shot at success this year. So, you give them a bunch of ice time so they can play their way into game shape and timing. May not be fair to the Burmi's and Scheife's of the team, but I get it. Those guys have to be rolling for us to have a chance.

Don't forget, they get the tough assignments too. The other guys might not look so great if they are getting the tougher minutes.

01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post

Postma, in spite of his errors, is beginning to grow on me. I see that he definitely has upside, and can be a major plus in the offensive zone. Hopefully Huddy can help to iron out his game.
We don't know what Noel wants, we only see what happens on the ice, but I find it hard to believe that a coach with half a brain would want this group of forwards carrying the puck through the neutral zone as much as ours do. Awful turnovers over and over again, 5 and 5 and on the PP too.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I know - I can't stand that guy, even last year and obviously my feelings haven't changed.
The guy with "canuck" in his username hates Byfuglien?

I agree though, his style isn't for everyone, but I haven't noticed anything bad from him yet. He's hustled back on a few plays and he's carried the offense into the zone when the forwards weren't getting it done on others.

I can't really say he's on my **** list so far as him and Enstrom have arguably been two of our best players in the first two games.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I think Noel knows where this team's bread is buttered. Guys like Ladd, Little and Wheeler are absolutely critical to this team having any shot at success this year. So, you give them a bunch of ice time so they can play their way into game shape and timing. May not be fair to the Burmi's and Scheife's of the team, but I get it. Those guys have to be rolling for us to have a chance.

Don't forget, they get the tough assignments too. The other guys might not look so great if they are getting the tougher minutes.
I agree they are the bread and butter, but if its going to take wheeler 18 games to get going. The playoffs will be well past. I don't think he can wait.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
The team was still really sloppy on the breakout again. But they probably cut down on their mistakes by half it seemed. Fired more shots at the net too.

LOL at Marchand. He's got just ridiculous speed and hockey senses. But he's like a mixture between Sean Avery and Burrows. Pushing the defenseman that boxes him out into the goalie hehe

Old
01-21-2013, 06:37 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

There's nothing wrong with a SO loss on the road to a team like Boston. The Jets showed a ton of improvement over their home opener. Still need to find the scoring touch.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I can't really say he's on my **** list so far as him and Enstrom have arguably been two of our best players in the first two games.
Did you catch Enstrom's three giveaway's today?
I really think he's over rated on these forums.
I remember as many giveaways and being caught up (giving 2 on 1s) as Buff last year. Always trying to pinch and giving up a 2 on 1.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
surge1979

My takes on the game (wherein I try to remove confirmation bias):

1. Hainsey sucked. Kidding. I guarantee that I am the biggest Hainsey hater on these boards, but there is no question that both he and Stuart played 100x better today.

2. Kane: I don't really like Kane, (or at least I didn't) because I find that he suffers from tunnel vision, wrap-arounditis and is entirely one dimensional. With that said, I think we are seeing a significant transformation in his game. He was fantastic out there today - playing defense, making crisp passes (no typo) and playing hard every shift. Last year, I found his work ethic to be related to his own production - if he scored, he was the best player on the ice. If he didn't, he had a tendancy to whine and dog it a few shifts. He's carrying the puck out of our own end, passing the puck and playing both ends. Yes, he's still a shoot first player and sometimes you'd wish he would make better choices (like in OT) but overall, I'm very happy with his play.

3. Pavelec: was much better today. I was a bit nervous that the wheels would come off after the Marchand goal, but to his credit, he shook it off and looked like December 2011 Pavelec, never giving up on the play. Positionally, I thought he was excellent (which isn't always the case).

4. LLW didn't have a breakout game but I thought they played better as the game went on. I generally dislike how Noel seems to never correlate their ice time to results, but for Wheeler...confidence is critical - when he has it, he looks like Malkin out there, but when he doesn't he looks like he is right now. Hopefully scoring the shootout will help them along.

5. Way better chemistry in the lines today: Slater / Thorburn were terrific, Kane / Jokinen were good, USSR line was good. Despite the rust...its obvious to me that we're a much deeper team this year and that can only mean good things when all lines get their legs.

Old
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
LOL at Marchand. He's got just ridiculous speed and hockey senses. But he's like a mixture between Sean Avery and Burrows. Pushing the defenseman that boxes him out into the goalie hehe
How tall is he? He looks like a complete idiot trying to push some of them lol.

Quote:

1. Hainsey sucked. Kidding. I guarantee that I am the biggest Hainsey hater on these boards, but there is no question that both he and Stuart played 100x better today.

2. Kane: I don't really like Kane, (or at least I didn't) because I find that he suffers from tunnel vision, wrap-arounditis and is entirely one dimensional. With that said, I think we are seeing a significant transformation in his game. He was fantastic out there today - playing defense, making crisp passes (no typo) and playing hard every shift. Last year, I found his work ethic to be related to his own production - if he scored, he was the best player on the ice. If he didn't, he had a tendancy to whine and dog it a few shifts. He's carrying the puck out of our own end, passing the puck and playing both ends. Yes, he's still a shoot first player and sometimes you'd wish he would make better choices (like in OT) but overall, I'm very happy with his play.

3. Pavelec: was much better today. I was a bit nervous that the wheels would come off after the Marchand goal, but to his credit, he shook it off and looked like December 2011 Pavelec, never giving up on the play. Positionally, I thought he was excellent (which isn't always the case).

4. LLW didn't have a breakout game but I thought they played better as the game went on. I generally dislike how Noel seems to never correlate their ice time to results, but for Wheeler...confidence is critical - when he has it, he looks like Malkin out there, but when he doesn't he looks like he is right now. Hopefully scoring the shootout will help them along.

5. Way better chemistry in the lines today: Slater / Thorburn were terrific, Kane / Jokinen were good, USSR line was good. Despite the rust...its obvious to me that we're a much deeper team this year and that can only mean good things when all lines get their legs.
Agree on most of that too. I don't like Kane at all, but he had a good game today and look much improved over last year Kane. First game he looked like old Kane, today he looked to have made some improvements. I think playing with someone like Jokinen can really help him.

Old
surixon

Quote:

Maybe, but we had to wait for these guys to get going last year as well. I really don't want this to be a reoccuring theme where it takes these guys a month or two to start doing something. I'm starting to get pretty leary about throwng a big contract Wheeler's way if he's going to start slow on a yearly basis. We really can't afford to wait this year anyways, play the players who are playing well and limit the ones who arn't. Maybe benching Wheeler and Ladd will light more of fire under them.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
I agree they are the bread and butter, but if its going to take wheeler 18 games to get going. The playoffs will be well past. I don't think he can wait.
Right. That is why you get them rolling now.

I don't think it's going to take Wheeler that long to be honest. He played at a high level already this year and I think he learned a lot about consistency last year. He started to play better as the game went along.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I remember as many giveaways and being caught up (giving 2 on 1s) as Buff last year. Always trying to pinch and giving up a 2 on 1.
3 giveaways? ESPN, TSN and NHL disagree with you.
He lost some battles (and won some) and they do produce 2 on 1's but their pros have yet to be outweighed by their cons.

Enstrom still is our teams best at reducing the other teams scoring chances (which is tough when your number 1 buddy is Buff). I think he needs to shoot more though as he's a tad predictable with setting up Byfuglien.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
3 giveaways? ESPN, TSN and NHL disagree with you.
He lost some battles (and won some) and they do produce 2 on 1's but their pros have yet to be outweighed by their cons.

Enstrom still is our teams best at reducing the other teams scoring chances. I think he needs to shoot more though as he's a tad predictable with setting up Byfuglien.
I saw him come out of the corner in our end with the puck against some pretty big dudes today.

I'd rather see him play with someone other than Byfuglien so he can have his own offensive identity.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:49 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Finishing up the GDT for the Caps game tomorrow. For anyone that's concerned about our depth up front, I found this in my old GDT files as a forward roster mid-Feb of last year:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Fehr - Antro - Wellwood
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen - Burmi - Gagnon

Yeesh. Compare:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Poni - Burmi - Antro
Thorburn - Slater - Scheifele

As soon as they work the rust out and start to click, I think we'll be fine up front for scoring. Remember: that rag-tag group without Jokinen and Poni last year finished 12th in scoring. The big issue for me right now is getting Bogo back. Both Buff and Enstrom logged 30m plus today (just a tick over), Hainsey logged 26, and Stuart 20. That's FAR too much for that whole group. Get Bogo back and not only do we strengthen the second pair, we gain a bit more offense. Buff / Enstrom, Bogo on the 2nd, and Postma paired with Stuart on the 3rd, everyone shifts to a more comfortable spot, and the huge amount of time that the top two lines need to log get cut down. Enstrom played well, but had some uncharacteristically bad giveaways - fatigue, as the game wore on?

IMHO. (I should put that in my signature. )

Old
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
I'm a fan of Enstrom. Having said that - he has a rough afternoon to say the least...

Old
01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I saw him come out of the corner in our end with the puck against some pretty big dudes today.

I'd rather see him play with someone other than Byfuglien so he can have his own offensive identity.
Meh I like them together. The two usually compliment each other well. Plus Enstrom would still be playing similar with Bogosian (as in offensive identity wise) 'cos both Bogo and Buff are shooters.

Buff tends to be more offensively dangerous with Enstrom and less a defensive liability than when he's with anyone else.
Enstrom offensively has been best with Byfuglien (even though Bogosian isn't that far away) and defensively he's been better with Bogosian but it's not as distinct or as far as a gap as many would like to think.

In the end it appears that
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
is the best top4 structure we have currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Finishing up the GDT for the Caps game tomorrow. For anyone that's concerned about our depth up front, I found this in my old GDT files as a forward roster mid-Feb of last year:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Fehr - Antro - Wellwood
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen - Burmi - Gagnon

Yeesh. Compare:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Poni - Burmi - Antro
Thorburn - Slater - Scheifele

As soon as they work the rust out and start to click, I think we'll be fine up front for scoring. Remember: that rag-tag group without Jokinen and Poni last year finished 12th in scoring. The big issue for me right now is getting Bogo back. Both Buff and Enstrom logged 30m plus today (just a tick over), Hainsey logged 26, and Stuart 20. That's FAR too much for that whole group. Get Bogo back and not only do we strengthen the second pair, we gain a bit more offense. Buff / Enstrom, Bogo on the 2nd, and Postma paired with Stuart on the 3rd.

IMHO. (I should put that in my signature. )
agreed

Old
01-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Le Golie

I don't know what the deal is with Pavelec and shoot outs. He must have no confidence in his skating ability. If he felt he could get his pad to the post before the puck on dekes, there would be no reason for him to back in way too early. He's got to play the shooters far more aggressively, it's way to easy to score, the shooters just back him all the way to his goal line and by then they have tons of net to shoot at.

Everything else about his game was fantastic today and the team can thank him for getting a point.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:02 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post

Correct all around.

Kaner looks really really sharp. He is taking the offensive zone with confidence and passing when he should. I don't know this is all about development though he did this last year too.

The big difference last year was he would take the zone and have nobody to pass to. Welly was too slow and Burmi was sitting back at the defensive blue line just in case.

If he keeps things up he will record a boat load of points this year.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Please don't tell my wife that I liked your wife logic thing to insanity, pretty please?
LOL I get hit a lot at home. And not in a good way.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Gotaf7

Quote:
Enstrom was a definate liability today! I thought 9-12-13 had a decent game together looks to me like there might be some chemistry there.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Noel admitted in the presser that LLW line was bad, but when asked why Burmi and Welly got less ice he said it was because he needed to get other guys going even tho he liked what he saw from Burmi and Welly. In other words, cause Ladd and Wheeler sucked today, Burmi and Welly got less ice, as opposed to sitting the vets and rewarding the young guys he does the opposite. That's the only thing I don't like about Noel.
Anyone have a link to the presser? Didn't get a chance to see it live.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I don't know what the deal is with Pavelec and shoot outs. He must have no confidence in his skating ability. If he felt he could get his pad to the post before the puck on dekes, there would be no reason for him to back in way too early. He's got to play the shooters far more aggressively, it's way to easy to score, the shooters just back him all the way to his goal line and by then they have tons of net to shoot at.

Everything else about his game was fantastic today and the team can thank him for getting a point.
Don't know how many caught the Boston feed, but the commentators spent a lot of time talking about Pavelec.

They repeatedly brought up his:

Poor rebound control.
Poor positioning.
Tendancy to over-play shooters.

They accused Pavi of making things tough on the D men in front of him with the rebounds. It didn't bite him today, but they were clearly unimpressed. Take that for what it is worth. It was interesting hearing an outside take.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Don't know how many caught the Boston feed, but the commentators spent a lot of time talking about Pavelec's.

They brought up his:

Poor rebound control.
Poor positioning.
Tendancy to over-play shooters.

They accused Pavi of making things tough on the D men in front of him with the rebounds. It didn't bite him today, but they were clearly unimpressed. Take that for what it is worth. It was interesting hearing an outside take.
Yeah i know exactly what it's worth. I watched the Boston feed. Anybody who uses Jack Edwards and/or Andy Brickley to help form an opinion should be ashamed of themselves, to be polite.

Closed Thread