HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No, I'm pretty sure Bergevin mistakenly believes that holding all RFA's to bridge contracts is the way to go regardless of the players ability, which is absurd. Many on this board are willing to make the same mistakes we've made as an organization year after year and year after year. I've heard this song before "we need to get rid of this cancer", "no one is above the team" and all the other nonsense that surrounds this once great organization.

You don't trade your best player, period. You certainly don't trade him when you think your back is against the wall. It's the perfect time for an experienced GM to rip you off.
The mistakes of the franchise over the last decade has been overpayments on contracts. And poor trades for all of the wrong reasons.

The Habs have been reduced to signing scrubs like Mara to help with a playoff run. And when Wisniewski was signed, the Habs had to let him go...............................because.......... .......of all of the overinflated contracts that kept the Habs from signing him to a long term contract.

The hand that was dealt by Gainey and Gauthier is a difficult one with undersized players making too much money.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Funny how everyone hates the Gauthier era but everyone just wants to keep repeating the same mistakes.
How many holdouts did Gauthier have?

Old
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
If the Habs did sign PK to a lets say a 6 year 24 million dollar deal his cap hit would be 24M divided by the first 5 years correct?
I believe the 5 year divisor is for offer sheet compensation only.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm even more skeptical than you are.

I don't think replacing Subban with Jones is a "solution", I think it's a lateral move.

The solution imho is a Jones-Subban first pairing, or, some other, weaker first pairing with Subban compensated by a superior forward corps that includes whoever we draft in the top-5 this year.

We're a basement team with or without Subban this year. However, he is a part of the solution if we want to return to bubble team status by 2014 and to contender status by 2015.
Oh for sure, I agree with all of that, just saying that it is so incredibly hard to find a legit top pairing defenceman that even in this stacked draft, there appears to be only one surefire top pair D available. And he's likely going to require a lottery win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
If the Habs did sign PK to a lets say a 6 year 24 million dollar deal his cap hit would be 24M divided by the first 5 years correct?
No. You are thinking of the rules to determine offer sheet draft pick compensation (which is the total contract divided by 5 if the years = more than 5).

It would be 24 M divided by 6 on the cap.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:01 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I believe the 5 year divisor is for offer sheet compensation only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
No. You are thinking of the rules to determine offer sheet draft pick compensation (which is the total contract divided by 5 if the years = more than 5).

It would be 24 M divided by 6 on the cap.
Thanks guys.. I wasn't sure if it also applied to signing your own players or not..

Old
01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The mistakes of the franchise over the last decade has been overpayments on contracts. And poor trades for all of the wrong reasons.

The Habs have been reduced to signing scrubs like Mara to help with a playoff run. And when Wisniewski was signed, the Habs had to let him go...............................because.......... .......of all of the overinflated contracts that kept the Habs from signing him to a long term contract.

The hand that was dealt by Gainey and Gauthier is a difficult one with undersized players making too much money.
Wrong. The problems with the habs was the fact that they overpaid for marginal players, not very good ones. They over paid for players that were replaceable for far cheaper. These players from within their own system were often better players and they proceeded to give them away for nothing.

Trading for overpaid scrubs like gomez != signing your best player to market value. Not by a long shot.

Expensive contracts was never the problem, expensive contracts for ****** players was.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
ryangib

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked a million times. I know I have to be missing something, so please pardon the dumb question, but why hasn't this just gone to arbitration? Has it already and a side was unhappy?

Thanks

Good luck this season

Old
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked a million times. I know I have to be missing something, so please pardon the dumb question, but why hasn't this just gone to arbitration? Has it already and a side was unhappy?

Thanks

Good luck this season
Not enough experience to be eligible for it.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Don't know if people remember this, but Meehan pulled the same stunt with Theodore over a decace ago on Jose's second contract. Theodore held off from camp to get the 1 mil per season he was looking for, which he eventually got.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Don't know if people remember this, but Meehan pulled the same stunt with Theodore over a decace ago on Jose's second contract. Theodore held off from camp to get the 1 mil per season he was looking for, which he eventually got.
Hope PK doesn't start losing his hair too.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
wonder what Whity did in that pic that got people's attention
"Smile, PK!"

"Oh, that's right, you're not there."

Old
01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Turianel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think the source cited the John Carlson contract which is exactly the same contract for about the same kind of player simply because it would make sense.

I don't think it's true but it would be fair for both parties.
The source is good. Good site to follow, a lot of humor in articles. But it's in french.

Let's hope it's true. Anything around patch money is good for pk

Old
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Not enough experience to be eligible for it.
Thanks a lot. Have a goodnight everybody.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Pretty annoying that we wait this long for a season and Bergevin can't find a way to give the fans one of the most important, electrifying and popular players on the team.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:51 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What stunt is Meehan pulling?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Whenever I think of the Subban situation it reminds me of something Pierre Mcguire once said about PK's teammates not hitting their sticks against the boards or congratulating him when PK fought (can't remember if it was his fight against the Bruins or the Jets). ' Should tell you a bit about what some of these guys think about PK' he said.

What scares me is that PK finds himself in a situation where his teammates won't stand up for him because they want to teach him a lesson, and opposing tough guys take notice. One hit or punch too many and voila some injury that puts that long term contract opportunity in peril.

From everything I've heard around the Subban story it seems pretty simple to me, Habs brass doesn't want a repeat of the Jose Theodore fiasco. simple as that. Young media-friendly kids in Montreal tend to implode, Meehan negotiated that contract and that almost ended Theo's career.

I think an intermediate contract would protect Subban on and off the ice, let him do his 'chemin de croix'. I agree that he's one of the best D man on this team (if not the best) right now, but accept a one or two year contract, don't play with the pressure of a 6 million dollar guy, enjoy the next two years because unless Markov rebounds from his injury you'll be the number one in Mtl for the long haul.

We all know what's going to happen soon enough if Markov can barely crack 40 points in the next 2 years, he won't be back

Old
01-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
Whenever I think of the Subban situation it reminds me of something Pierre Mcguire once said about PK's teammates not hitting their sticks against the boards or congratulating him when PK fought (can't remember if it was his fight against the Bruins or the Jets). ' Should tell you a bit about what some of these guys think about PK' he said.

What scares me is that PK finds himself in a situation where his teammates won't stand up for him because they want to teach him a lesson, and opposing tough guys take notice. One hit or punch too many and voila some injury that puts that long term contract opportunity in peril.

From everything I've heard around the Subban story it seems pretty simple to me, Habs brass doesn't want a repeat of the Jose Theodore fiasco. simple as that. Young media-friendly kids in Montreal tend to implode, Meehan negotiated that contract and that almost ended Theo's career.

I think an intermediate contract would protect Subban on and off the ice, let him do his 'chemin de croix'. I agree that he's one of the best D man on this team (if not the best) right now, but accept a one or two year contract, don't play with the pressure of a 6 million dollar guy, enjoy the next two years because unless Markov rebounds from his injury you'll be the number one in Mtl for the long haul.

We all know what's going to happen soon enough if Markov can barely crack 40 points in the next 2 years, he won't be back
Yeah I'll tell ya, I sure am glad we got rid of Chris Chelios. Boy that was a great move on our part.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:08 PM
OneSharpMarble

Would be nice to see some resolution to this, we have a season to get on with. Either sign him or shop him.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yeah I'll tell ya, I sure am glad we got rid of Chris Chelios. Boy that was a great move on our part.
This is becoming more and more a repeat of the Chelios trade by the day, it's scary.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Add Shayne Corson, Patrick Roy into the list. I am fairly upset that the team ship stars players out of Montreal because these players have issues. We would rather keep useless players who are easy to coach,

Old
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is becoming more and more a repeat of the Chelios trade by the day, it's scary.
At least Chelios was loved by his teamates...

I just checked the lineup the Habs had just two years ago... Scary ! 18 players are not with the team, anymore. Looking back at it, I wouild like the Wiz, O'Byrne, Gill and Hamrlik back on our blueline as well as Lapierre upfront.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:13 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
At one point, PK will ask for a trade. Next thing you know, we got a bunch of marginal players for PK.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
IMO if Bergevin loses Subban he may become worse than Rejean Houle.

Hypothetically, let's say Subban is traded for a 1st and 3rd rounder to a playoff contender because Bergevin doesn't want to "overpay" (6 years @ 4 million per), we're looking at a minimum 3 seasons in the bottom-5 of the NHL rankings. Even Houle didn't do that badly.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Rickkins

Maybe he'll enjoy sitting out the season....

Old
01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Maybe he'll enjoy sitting out the season....
If he doesn't get a deal done this year, me think he asks or a trade in the off season

Closed Thread