HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: NHL and GJ, Put Up or Shut Up!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 02:29 PM
  #851
Jagged Ice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Exactly this^
I find the dumb look on peoples faces funny when I tell them Jamison does not own the Coyotes and as of now they are likely gone. Our local media really blew it with that recent cog lease agreement vote. Hope they stay but the future of this franchise looks to be in Seattle and soon.

Jagged Ice is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
  #852
zz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,604
vCash: 500
I never understood the recent wave of optimism regarding ownership situation. Of course Jamison's going to say he's about to close the deal, he's supposed to inspire confidence while looking for investors. But has there been any factual evidence other than his word?

As far as I know, we're 10 days away from finally losing this team. Over the last 3 (4?) years I never saw one person / entity with actual money even remotely involved. Just a bunch of wannabes ("investors") and amateurs (CoG) more than willing to waste fans' time and taxpayer money.

Please forgive me for not believing in a last-minute surprise deal.

zz is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  #853
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
^ who knows? Jamison might close today or tomorrow. He may ask for an extension. They may give him an extension based on renegotiating the lease yet again. He and the city might work on that another six months. Who knows?

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  #854
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
^ who knows? Jamison might close today or tomorrow. He may ask for an extension. They may give him an extension based on renegotiating the lease yet again. He and the city might work on that another six months. Who knows?
They want to renegotiate to less favorable terms for Jamison. He doesn't get it done by the 31st and they move to nix the deal, it's over. For the first time, I am starting to prepare for life without local NHL hockey. You guys are welcome to your "I've heard this all before" angle but this is a definitive deadline. That he wasn't at the opener and that we've heard nothing doesn't look good.

I secretly hope it's because he knows the fans have been burned before, and wants everything signed before it is announced. These deals are not something done in private over the course of an hour. We would be hearing more if there was an intention to close the deal.

XX is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  #855
yotesreign
Registered User
 
yotesreign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goldwater Blvd
Country: United States
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They want to renegotiate to less favorable terms for Jamison. He doesn't get it done by the 31st and they move to nix the deal, it's over. For the first time, I am starting to prepare for life without local NHL hockey. You guys are welcome to your "I've heard this all before" angle but this is a definitive deadline. That he wasn't at the opener and that we've heard nothing doesn't look good.

I secretly hope it's because he knows the fans have been burned before, and wants everything signed before it is announced. These deals are not something done in private over the course of an hour. We would be hearing more if there was an intention to close the deal.
I don't know what the truth is. But I think the powers that be are like Jack Nicholsen in that flick A Few Good Men - they think we can't handle the truth.

If he's ultimately going to buy the team, I've heard nothing from any corner that offers a good reason for him not closing by the 31st. Like he can't get the money by then but he can get it after then? What, has he got a CD maturing in March that will put him over the hump???

I don't read anything in him not being there though. We've had that circus (guys who don't own the team but wanted to own the team parading around like they were buying the team).

At this point, I'm like, buy it Mr. Jamison, or don't.

At this point, aside from season ticket holders like me who already have our tickets for the whole season, if it's not closed by the 31st, those considering buying packs and single game buyers should figure they're only buying tickets to see an NHL game and not to send any messages anywhere that can compete with the message GJ & the league will have sent not getting this sale closed on time.

yotesreign is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
  #856
pfp
Registered User
 
pfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They want to renegotiate to less favorable terms for Jamison. He doesn't get it done by the 31st and they move to nix the deal, it's over. For the first time, I am starting to prepare for life without local NHL hockey. You guys are welcome to your "I've heard this all before" angle but this is a definitive deadline. That he wasn't at the opener and that we've heard nothing doesn't look good.

I secretly hope it's because he knows the fans have been burned before, and wants everything signed before it is announced. These deals are not something done in private over the course of an hour. We would be hearing more if there was an intention to close the deal.
I don't really worry about him not being at the game. Look at all the other prospective buyers who did show up to the games and how well that turned out. I will agree that if it's not done by the end of the month - game over.

pfp is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
  #857
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,084
vCash: 500
Twice the appraised value of the franchise is on the table in guaranteed money, yet he still can't close. Call it what it is.

The only thing keeping the team here is the fact that Glendale is willing to offer up such money. They pull the plug, it's over. However, it appears the NHL wants to expand to 32 and put a team in Seattle and QC. Besides the Coyotes, no other teams appear distressed enough that they would outright move in the next few years. So there's that factor playing to our advantage. If the NHL lets Glendale burn, it will be a lot harder to secure public financing for arenas in the future. As we have this conversation, Bettman and Co. are trying to close a funding gap in Edmonton.

The NHL really doesn't gain anything other than a revenue shot in the arm by letting this team slink off to QC. Seattle, they still keep a US TV market. Two expensive expansion fees plus keeping Phoenix, however ****ed up? Win.

Westgate was a madhouse last night. Yardhouse wait time was an hour and a half at 5ish. Everywhere was packed. Let's hope the tenants there put the squeeze on the council to keep this deal alive. Also, the Coyotes desperately need that casino to move forward just north of Westgate. Major opportunity for sponsorship money and another attraction for the area.

XX is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
  #858
knowsthegame
Registered User
 
knowsthegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tale of 2 NHL cities
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
I have just sent tweets to the NHL and Coyotes asking for an update on the Jameson purchase. Will see if anything comes of it.
I am wondering if the NHL might still make a deal with Jameson in the 11th hour to take advantage of the CoG lease agreement. Without it, the NHL may not get the 15 million or so dollars the CoG has agreed to pay for managing the arena.
The NHL could finance whatever shortfall Jameson has, let him take it over and probably break even in the short term and allow more time for more investors.
Just a thought.

knowsthegame is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
  #859
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris
 
TeamTippett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
I have just sent tweets to the NHL and Coyotes asking for an update on the Jameson purchase. Will see if anything comes of it.
I am wondering if the NHL might still make a deal with Jameson in the 11th hour to take advantage of the CoG lease agreement. Without it, the NHL may not get the 15 million or so dollars the CoG has agreed to pay for managing the arena.
The NHL could finance whatever shortfall Jameson has, let him take it over and probably break even in the short term and allow more time for more investors.
Just a thought.
the lease is with GJ not the NHL. All the league has to do is come down in price or help finance the deal

TeamTippett is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
  #860
knowsthegame
Registered User
 
knowsthegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tale of 2 NHL cities
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
the lease is with GJ not the NHL. All the league has to do is come down in price or help finance the deal
That's what I am saying. The NHL finances Jameson's shortfall and the deal closes to take advantage of the CoG lease agreement with Jameson.
The NHL is on the hook anyway. Why let the opportunity for a sale slip away again.

knowsthegame is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
  #861
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Panem
Country: United States
Posts: 58,955
vCash: 100
I'm personally not surprised there hasn't been any news for a bit now.

Last I heard (and I may be wrong, but it's what I'm basing my thoughts on) there was a BoG meeting on the 22nd, where presumably they'd approve Jamison as the new owner of the Coyotes. He can't close a deal if he's not technically approved, right?

Primrose Everdeen is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:50 PM
  #862
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,084
vCash: 500
What is the source for a meeting on the 22nd?

XX is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:56 PM
  #863
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 24,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I'm personally not surprised there hasn't been any news for a bit now.

Last I heard (and I may be wrong, but it's what I'm basing my thoughts on) there was a BoG meeting on the 22nd, where presumably they'd approve Jamison as the new owner of the Coyotes. He can't close a deal if he's not technically approved, right?
With regards to the meeting, the BOG can get together for a vote at anytime and the votes can be done via fax from what I understand. In other words, the vote can take place before or after the 22nd, just like how Gary Bettman was able to hold an emergency meetting with the BOG in order to strip Jerry Moyes of any remaining authority he had with the Coyotes the moment he filed for banruptcy.

Colt45Blast is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
  #864
lockstock
Registered User
 
lockstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kauai
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Why didn't they already approve him anyway? It's not like they haven't had plenty of opportunities to vote on it.

lockstock is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
  #865
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Why didn't they already approve him anyway? It's not like they haven't had plenty of opportunities to vote on it.
Who? The BOG? They aren't going to approve of an offer until they've got an offer. JEG isn't going to offer until JEG has got the dough to make the offer. Or do you mean the COG? They've agreed on the MLA with JEG but they aren't going to hand over the first check until he's bought the team from the NHL.

rt is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
  #866
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
the lease is with GJ not the NHL. All the league has to do is come down in price or help finance the deal
According to some reports.... the price has already been agreed on.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
  #867
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Panem
Country: United States
Posts: 58,955
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
What is the source for a meeting on the 22nd?
I don't have a source, which is why I admitted I might have just been wrong.

I just remember having read it about a week ago or so.

Primrose Everdeen is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
  #868
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
There is some kind of a meeting. Yotes are not on the agenda from what I gather. Just poaching from the BoH.

rt is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:17 AM
  #869
lockstock
Registered User
 
lockstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kauai
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Who? The BOG? They aren't going to approve of an offer until they've got an offer. JEG isn't going to offer until JEG has got the dough to make the offer. Or do you mean the COG? They've agreed on the MLA with JEG but they aren't going to hand over the first check until he's bought the team from the NHL.
Oh, I thought they already had agreed upon that. I could very well be wrong, but I thought that the offer was finalized, but they needed the lease agreement in place before they could close. That's why I've been scratching my head for a while. If any of that was true, I would have thought a lot of the details would've already been taken care of to the point where they just transferred the money from escrow to the NHL and we have an owner.

When the deadline for the petition against the deal was over and nothing happened, I figured they were being smart and waiting for the lockout to be finished before doing anything. Smart. Make sure you're buying what you expect to buy. Then that came and went. Now, it seems they've had time to kick the tires, change any details, and get things where they want. Today was a holiday, but I would really expect something to happen tomorrow or the next couple days unless they're trying to Don Fehr the NHL down to the last moment to get the absolute best deal.

I dunno. No one seems to know. What's the holdup? I'm not hearing any imminent rumblings of a deal being closed. It's making me very nervous.


Last edited by lockstock: 01-22-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: left out a couple of words
lockstock is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:30 AM
  #870
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
I dunno. No one seems to know. What's the holdup? I'm not hearing any imminent rumblings of a deal being closed. It's making me very nervous.
Literally the only hurdle is Jamison coming to terms with the NHL. You'd think that'd be the easiest part of this mess.. assuming he has the money. I'm starting to suspect that he doesn't and never did. That it was reported it was in escrow was a diversionary tactic to calm the fears of the city council that GJ was just another pawn.

At this point, no one can say what is going to happen one way or the other. But come the 31st, they need to involve the council if they want anything to get done. We will hear about this one way or the other. But if everyone goes dark, watch out. Atlanta was quietly shuffled away in the middle of the night with zero drama or fanfare. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the same happens to the Coyotes.

Maybe the NHL decides to sell the team for what it's actually worth, and GJ closes. Maybe they decide they'd rather have all the money QC would brring.

We will know come the 31st.

XX is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 AM
  #871
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
The only way we know come the 31st is if Jamison closes. If he fails to do so, they will continue to feed us lines and string us along.

rt is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:35 AM
  #872
OOEEL
Registered User
 
OOEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The only way we know come the 31st is if Jamison closes. If he fails to do so, they will continue to feed us lines and string us along.
How can ANYONE think that there's hope past February 1st?

Once they flip the calendars over the deal would have to go through the new council, who were all elected for speaking out against the deal. The likelihood of GJ getting a deal at all, let alone one as beneficial as the last one with the new council feels impossible at best.

I mean sure you want to hold on hope but at this point it feels like we're grasping for straws and looking for signs in tea leaves that the deal will be done/extended/reworked as much as Quebec is doing for them to move.

Next Wednesday against the Oilers could be the last home game before we get to deal with 3 months of lame duck-ness

OOEEL is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
  #873
ssmatik
Registered User
 
ssmatik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Side
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post

Next Wednesday against the Oilers could be the last home game before we get to deal with 3 months of lame duck-ness
Just a thought

If they were to announce that the team was moving before the season ends, wouldn't they be setting themselves up for class action lawsuits from ticket holders? I'm sure there are at least a few well funded fans that would question GB's performance at the Job last playoffs just as renewals were coming due.
Even if unsuccessful, wouldn't they be opening themselves up to sharing the real story in court?

Something tells me this is about to get real ugly if someone sees behind the curtain (or spills the beans) before April.

ssmatik is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:45 AM
  #874
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Just a thought

If they were to announce that the team was moving before the season ends, wouldn't they be setting themselves up for class action lawsuits from ticket holders?
What are your damages? That you didn't receive the experience you expected? Even if you were to somehow convince a court to hear that, you are instantly made whole by a full refund. Not going to happen. It's far, far more likely the city sues for a multitude of reasons. That doesn't mean the team magically stays, though. There's nothing stopping the NHL from just whisking the team away while they sort out some punitive damages for Glendale. They could even let the 31st lapse, go to extend, and be denied. Then they'd have an even better case for walking away, without fear of being sued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Something tells me this is about to get real ugly if someone sees behind the curtain (or spills the beans) before April.
Not really. If January 31st comes and goes, there will be a lot more questions than there are answers. The Coyotes schedule is suspiciously front-loaded with home games. Wouldn't be hard for them to pull the plug, and honestly, they wouldn't be incurring significant losses over what they are already slated to lose. It won't be ugly. Did you see how quickly and quietly Atlanta was snuffed out? You don't think, after all this time (and an arena being built in QC) that there aren't back room dealings?

The Coyotes were $25 million away from moving to Winnipeg over the Thrashers. We are not special

XX is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
  #875
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
How can ANYONE think that there's hope past February 1st?

Once they flip the calendars over the deal would have to go through the new council, who were all elected for speaking out against the deal. The likelihood of GJ getting a deal at all, let alone one as beneficial as the last one with the new council feels impossible at best.

I mean sure you want to hold on hope but at this point it feels like we're grasping for straws and looking for signs in tea leaves that the deal will be done/extended/reworked as much as Quebec is doing for them to move.

Next Wednesday against the Oilers could be the last home game before we get to deal with 3 months of lame duck-ness
Unfortunately, I believe you will see exactly how people can be made to hold out hope into February and beyond. I'm guessing and and I both will be among them. They'll say the right things and we will lemming right along.

rt is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.