HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yes, we should get rid of an excellent GM who took us from a non-playoff team to a 3 time PT winner and a Stanley Cup finalist. The GM who signed all our best players to some of the best contracts in the league. Makes total sense!
Of all the Canucks who played on your roster last night, Mike Gillis brought in Andrew Ebbett, Keith Ballard, Jason Garrison, Dale Weise, Zack Kassian, Aaron Volpatti, Chris Tanev, Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
AmazingNuck

We can attribute Schneider's bad game to his adjustment to the Swiss league. Obviously, they played at a slower pace, and the training camp did nothing for Schneider. His timing was a little off, so he'll work out his timing problems soon. The defense was atrocious, and Luongo didn't fare that much better. Our penalty kill was awful.. expected, as our best PKer is injured. All in all, it will be a long season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Of all the Canucks who played on your roster last night, Mike Gillis brought in Andrew Ebbett, Keith Ballard, Jason Garrison, Dale Weise, Zack Kassian, Aaron Volpatti, Chris Tanev, Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis.

He also brought in Malhotra and Lapierre.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Ebbett - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Weise - Malhotra - Volpatti

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

That's like.. two top 4 defensemen, the entire bottom pairing, and almost the entire bottom 9? The tone of your post implies you are against his statement.. yet, his statement seems to hold true under this light. Unless, of course, you don't consider 2/3rds of our defense or 7 forwards to be irrelevant to success...

Last edited by AmazingNuck: 01-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
As well as Malhotra and Lapierre. Not to mention the injured Booth. Not to mention the fact that he brought in Ehrhoff for peanuts. Sedins became Art Ross-worthy players with him and his direction for the team. He re-signed Edler twice to two amazing contracts. He signed Sedins to two of the best contracts for superstars. He has stopped wasting 1st round picks like his predecessor (Bourdon, Grabner, and White over Kopitar, Stewart and Perron). Canucks are a destination for UFAs.

I could keep going on and on.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts View Post
It's been worse...

The goat is a nice touch.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Billy6

Gillis would be taking a huge risk by trading Luongo now. The Canucks are built to win now. If they go exclusively with Schneider and he drops the ball, or gets hurt, then bye bye Stanley Cup coming to Vancouver.

Here's betting that they hang onto Luongo until the summer because the Luongo/Schneider platoon gives them the best chance to win the Cup this year.

No return on Luongo is more valuable than that.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
Gillis would be taking a huge risk by trading Luongo now. The Canucks are built to win now. If they go exclusively with Schneider and he drops the ball, or gets hurt, then bye bye Stanley Cup coming to Vancouver.

Here's betting that they hang onto Luongo until the summer because the Luongo/Schneider platoon gives them the best chance to win the Cup this year.

No return on Luongo is more valuable than that.
I'd be fine with keeping both, but for all we know Roberto has told Gillis he wont stay the whole season. Lou is keeping the peace for now but if he starts getting impatient and lets his frustration be known in the media, his value is going to drop significantly.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
KillerWhale

I'm guessing the trade deadline is when Luongo will be moved, unless some team meets Gillis' demands before then (or if one of our goalies suffers a season ending injury). The trade deadline is usually the time to get the best value when selling a player, and I can't see Luongo willingly going into the playoffs again with the risk that he may not be the starter.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
I'm guessing the trade deadline is when Luongo will be moved, unless some team meets Gillis' demands before then (or if one of our goalies suffers a season ending injury). The trade deadline is usually the time to get the best value when selling a player, and I can't see Luongo willingly going into the playoffs again with the risk that he may not be the starter.
The thing with waiting until the trade deadline is that we will hear excuses from the canucks after the season is over that the new pieces didn't have enough time to get used to their new team and that is why it all didn't work out. I hope this trade gets done sooner than later (obviously, I hope for a good return). I just don't want any stupid excuses from this team for faltering after the trade.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
The thing with waiting until the trade deadline is that we will hear excuses from the canucks after the season is over that the new pieces didn't have enough time to get used to their new team and that is why it all didn't work out. I hope this trade gets done sooner than later (obviously, I hope for a good return). I just don't want any stupid excuses from this team for faltering after the trade.
Hopefully with the shortened season it will create more teams being in the playoff race and less teams selling at the deadline, which should create a good market. All we need is a couple teams to be on the bubble and feel like with better goaltending they will have a shot to make a good run in the playoffs. I'm guessing Gillis has got some decent offers already but nothing that great, probably because GM's don't mind giving their current goalies a shot first since you never know which random goalie can get hot for a year, and there's no pressure on them to make a transaction at the moment.

At the deadline I think Gillis will just take the best offer he can get, and if things play out in our favour this season we may be able to get a pretty decent return.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Yeah, secretly Luongo is dying to leave. I doubt any part of him is competitive enough to want to take the job back and win a cup You can read it between these lines...

Quote:
Ann Schmaltz ‏@annschmaltz
Luongo "I'm always happy to get a start with this logo on. I wouldn't have believed I'd get another one last April." #Canucks

Old
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Billy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I'd be fine with keeping both, but for all we know Roberto has told Gillis he wont stay the whole season. Lou is keeping the peace for now but if he starts getting impatient and lets his frustration be known in the media, his value is going to drop significantly.
Gillis needs to do what's best for the Canucks, not Luongo. Luongo is under contract and is being paid handsomely, so he needs to be a good teammate and check his ego at the door.

In my opinion there is no return on Luongo that will better help the Canucks win the Stanley Cup this year than if they keep him. To me Schneider is no sure thing. He has played great in the last few years, but there is a huge difference between being the underdog playing behind the other number one goalie, and being the number one guy yourself with no safety net. Think about it. If Schneider had a bad game in the past they would just go with Luongo and that would be fine, Schneider would have time to work through any struggles with next to no pressure. Imagine though if Luongo gets traded. Every soft goal, every bad game will be scrutinized by the fans and media who will then wonder if the Canucks made the right decision in trading Luongo.

That would be fine if the Canucks weren't expected to win the Cup, but that clearly is not the case here. I fear that Schneider is being set up for failure, living under expectations that he has little chance of fulfilling.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Yeah, secretly Luongo is dying to leave. I doubt any part of him is competitive enough to want to take the job back and win a cup You can read it between these lines...

His pride took a big hit judging from those quotes.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:53 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

After seeing schneider beast in the playoffs in such a high-pressure situation, I think even lu was surprised at how much he dropped the ball in game 1 of the season.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Dudeinator

Quote:
If Schneider had a bad game in the past they would just go with Luongo and that would be fine, Schneider would have time to work through any struggles with next to no pressure. Imagine though if Luongo gets traded. Every soft goal, every bad game will be scrutinized by the fans and media who will then wonder if the Canucks made the right decision in trading Luongo.

That would be fine if the Canucks weren't expected to win the Cup, but that clearly is not the case here. I fear that Schneider is being set up for failure, living under expectations that he has little chance of fulfilling.
I like this. This is how I feel about the whole Luongo/Schneider situation.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Gillis needs to do what's best for the Canucks, not Luongo. Luongo is under contract and is being paid handsomely, so he needs to be a good teammate and check his ego at the door.

In my opinion there is no return on Luongo that will better help the Canucks win the Stanley Cup this year than if they keep him. To me Schneider is no sure thing. He has played great in the last few years, but there is a huge difference between being the underdog playing behind the other number one goalie, and being the number one guy yourself with no safety net. Think about it. If Schneider had a bad game in the past they would just go with Luongo and that would be fine, Schneider would have time to work through any struggles with next to no pressure. Imagine though if Luongo gets traded. Every soft goal, every bad game will be scrutinized by the fans and media who will then wonder if the Canucks made the right decision in trading Luongo.

Yup, I agree with this. And that's the same level of pressure that Luongo plays under whereby every goal is scrutinized. Hell, when Luongo is blamed for giving up a goal on a 5 on 3 where he had to cheat because no one picked up the player wide open on the other side of the goal you know expectations are unreasonably high.

We drove our best goalie out of town, might as well drive the other one out too.

01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

oh man it would be awesome if this goalie circus would cost gillis his job.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

Re-signing players is just as important as acquiring them.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:58 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
His pride took a big hit judging from those quotes.
Yup.

Roberto is the type of guy who will use that embarrassment as motivation.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him Tim Thomas Schneids this year.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
oceanchild

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sp...tml?rel=831005

Trade in place pending.... Wonder which team

Old
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post

Interesting:

Quote:
We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have and its not who anybody thinks it is and so we have to wait.
I wonder if this could be Stephen Weiss?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post

Quote:
“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.
Quote:
“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.
where/when did he say this, where are they getting these quotes?

this article has alot of quotes that i haven't seen quoted anywhere else

and gillis seems to go into detail more than you think he would with a reporter

Last edited by Pseudonymous*: 01-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Interesting:

I wonder if this could be Stephen Weiss?
If it really isn't who anyone thinks, it's probably not FLA.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
where/when did he say this, where are they getting these quotes?

this article has alot of quotes that i haven't seen quoted anywhere else

and gillis seems to go into detail more than you think he would with a reporter
He mentions in the article that it was an hour long interview that happened today and has been planned for a long time. It's Cam Cole so I doubt he's making it up.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
If it really isn't who anyone thinks, it's probably not FLA.
I took that as being the player isn't who anyone thinks it is, and there has been a lot of talk about Bozak/Kadri/etc so I think it's not any of those players. Weiss is a guy who needs to be re-signed by Florida, but if he won't re-sign then it makes sense for them to move him. Perhaps Florida is trying to re-sign him before moving on, and the Canucks are in talks with his agent re: an extension before pulling the trigger on a deal?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He mentions in the article that it was an hour long interview that happened today and has been planned for a long time. It's Cam Cole so I doubt he's making it up.
Oh youre right he did throw that in there half way through the article. in a subtle manner. i missed it.

Closed Thread