HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Sinochick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
PICTURE IN PICTURE AND MOSAIC are now working on the PC
YES!!!! I was just about to post that!

I can't complain about GCL this season. I am happy that on my Ipad and Iphone I am able to watch full length games that have already been played. We couldn't do that on the Ipad/Iphone last season (could only watch "live" games).

Picture quality has been excellent. Been really happy with GCL so far despite the hiccups on saturday.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Gamecenter live is such a terrible product. I log on last nigh, watch games as i please. Tonight I log in, start watching, then it brings me up the offer page to subscribe to gamecenter, while i'm still logged in. Now I can't watch anything. On top of that, last season I had no problems watching games on my phone. This year I log in and it immediately brings up the offer page telling me to sign up...terrible.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Gamecenter live is such a terrible product. I log on last nigh, watch games as i please. Tonight I log in, start watching, then it brings me up the offer page to subscribe to gamecenter, while i'm still logged in. Now I can't watch anything. On top of that, last season I had no problems watching games on my phone. This year I log in and it immediately brings up the offer page telling me to sign up...terrible.
I've been a subscriber pretty much since the beginning and Gamecenter always has some glitches at the start of the season. However, I've never seen so many problems across so many apps before.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Hey guys,

I just bought Gamecenter again for the first time in a few years (I know, I shouldn't be giving these jokers money) and I've got a few questions (or atleast one for now).

The whole reason I bought it was so me and a buddy who lives across the hall could share it. When I had my account 3-4 years ago there was like 5 of us who were able to get onto it at the same time without any problems... did they change those rules now?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Why does it keep backing up 10 seconds during a live game? Anyone else having this problem on Xbox?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Tmash85

Anyone's iPad app keep crashing every 10-15 minutes? So frustrating...

Old
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought Gamecenter again for the first time in a few years (I know, I shouldn't be giving these jokers money) and I've got a few questions (or atleast one for now).

The whole reason I bought it was so me and a buddy who lives across the hall could share it. When I had my account 3-4 years ago there was like 5 of us who were able to get onto it at the same time without any problems... did they change those rules now?
You can share it but not at the same time.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
DixonWard15

xbox was completely unusable tonight

Old
01-21-2013, 09:28 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
You can share it but not at the same time.
That's absolute garbage what if there's two people living in the same household... I can understand why they'd want to limit it to 2 simultaneously, but 1?

Also what's the deal with the PS3 app is it not available yet I keep getting conflicting information between the two parties. I downloaded the app but I can't figure out how to link it with my gamecenter account.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Not only does this service suck, but they make it nearly impossible to stay on the phone if you're calling the North American help line. Holy **** the first recorded voice is terribly annoying, followed by Jack Edwards calls while youre on hold.....

EDIT: on hold for 30 minutes, never even got to speak to a real person. Such a bogus service.

Last edited by HatchtrickBateman: 01-21-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

GCL has been fantastic for me so far, almost HD quality on my TV for every game, have it hooked from my laptop to the TV until the PS3 app is out. The picture quality on my phone is fantastic as well. No complaints from me.

Only problem was opening day, after that its been smooth sailing.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
skymachine

So every game on NBC, NBCSN, and NHL network is blacked out? That's a pain since I don't get NBCSN from my current dish tv cable package.

I had GCL for the first time for only the playoffs last season, and I didn't experience a single blackout the whole way through. So is it only a playoff thing where the national games aren't blacked out?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeHat View Post
So every game on NBC, NBCSN, and NHL network is blacked out?
Just to make it clear, this doesn't apply to Europe. I've just finished watching the Wings @Blue Jackets game on the iPad, and it was an NBCSN game.

There should be no blackouts whatsoever in Europe, period. There is no European team playing in the NHL, as far as I'm aware.

ESPN America is a totally obscure channel in Europe; I'd be surprised if it's available in 0.1% of European households. To black out European NHL GameCenter Live customers based on that, is an outrage. I have a ticket open with GCL tech support, and I'm not gonna give up on this until any and all blackouts are gone.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
MannyQ1293

So has anyone been able to actually get in contact with support I've been trying for 2 days to cancel my subscription before the 5 days and it seems impossible...

service is good i was just expecting to watch the games on my phone when I'm not home and can't even do that with the Blackouts

Old
01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Faterson

The support is returning boilerplate, automated replies via email for now, with irrelevant excerpts from FAQ.

However, the message says at the bottom, you should reply if their feedback doesn't satisfy you. So I sent off a reply, and the conversation will continue later, hopefully with a live person. They must be overwhelmed these days, so I'm willing to give them some slack.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

At what time the next day does the archived version usually go up?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I just used Stealthy on firefox, it worked like a charm for me.. I'm nervous about losing my subscription but it's only on for a few seconds..

Old
01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
At what time the next day does the archived version usually go up?
Yesterday, 5 of the 6 games played on Sunday were up by 8:45 am Central European time, that's 2:45 am on the American East Coast. That's pretty good. The 6th game was added a few hours later.

Right now, it's 6 am Tuesday morning in Europe, midnight on the American East Coast, and the first 2 games from Monday are already available in full-length replays: TBL @ NYI and WPG @ BOS.

Note: I got blacked out for the live broadcast of the WPG @ BOS game (for no reason I can understand, and I submitted a complaint to tech support because of that), but I can watch the full-length replay of the same game normally.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I just used Stealthy on firefox, it worked like a charm for me.. I'm nervous about losing my subscription but it's only on for a few seconds..
It's a disgrace for the NHL to force their paying customers to employ such workarounds, but until they wake up to reality, the Stealthy plugin will be the solution for the suffering fans.

What's worse, Stealthy doesn't work for apps like those on Apple TV, iPad or iPhone.

I don't understand the automatic assumption that everyone needs to be watching TV, or even owning a TV set nowadays. I know quite a few people who aren't interested in owning a TV set, or they only use it to display online content on a bigger screen.

If you're selling an online product, NHL, then that's what it is. Don't withhold parts of what your customers purchased from you, because of your separate deals with some obscure (or even non-obscure) TV channels.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yesterday, 5 of the 6 games played on Sunday were up by 8:45 am Central European time, that's 2:45 am on the American East Coast. That's pretty good. The 6th game was added a few hours later.

Right now, it's 6 am Tuesday morning in Europe, midnight on the American East Coast, and the first 2 games from Monday are already available in full-length replays: TBL @ NYI and WPG @ BOS.

Note: I got blacked out for the live broadcast of the WPG @ BOS game (for no reason I can understand, and I submitted a complaint to tech support because of that), but I can watch the full-length replay of the same game normally.
hmmmm im creeping closer and closer to dropping the 50 bucks on this.

my internet connection isn't the greatest, and ive had trouble with "other" streams, but I just did the little 5 min preview or whatever and it ran butter smooth (on 800k mind you, but still no buffering/hiccups like other streams).

give me a smooth 800k stream over a HQ one that needs to buffer every 4 mins anyday.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
BuggSuperstar

Half of the games are unavailable for me to watch on my Apple TV once the game is over - then they slowly start becoming available over the next 24 hours. They appeared greyed out on my screen and I can't access them. It is nothing to do with regional blackouts.

BUT - they all work fine on my computer?!?!

This is driving me nuts - does anyone know why? Thanks so much for your help because I have wasted two hours trying to source the problem!

Old
01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
It's a disgrace for the NHL to force their paying customers to employ such workarounds, but until they wake up to reality, the Stealthy plugin will be the solution for the suffering fans.

What's worse, Stealthy doesn't work for apps like those on Apple TV, iPad or iPhone.

I don't understand the automatic assumption that everyone needs to be watching TV, or even owning a TV set nowadays. I know quite a few people who aren't interested in owning a TV set, or they only use it to display online content on a bigger screen.

If you're selling an online product, NHL, then that's what it is. Don't withhold parts of what your customers purchased from you, because of your separate deals with some obscure (or even non-obscure) TV channels.

I don't really have to use it.. the only games I have no way of getting live on TV here is the Rangers games.. I'm not even a fan of that team but I don't want to use a crappy stream just to watch all my team's games.

I have Cable here but that's because my pops is still living in the stone ages haha.. The way of the future is the internet no matter how much cable companies fight it.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggSuperstar View Post
Half of the games are unavailable for me to watch on my Apple TV once the game is over - then they slowly start becoming available over the next 24 hours. They appeared greyed out on my screen and I can't access them. It is nothing to do with regional blackouts.

This is driving me nuts - does anyone know why? Thanks so much for your help because I have wasted two hours trying to source the problem!
This is normal. The site is the site, and the Apple TV app is the Apple TV app. Very different ways to access the same service. It may happen that a game becomes available sooner in one location than in the other. The important thing is for the full-length replays to be available promptly. Ideal: within minutes after game completion. It has typically taken several hours over the last couple of days, which isn't quite ideal, but I can live with it.

(What is totally unacceptable is the 24-48 hours bull**** they state on their website; luckily, this has nothing to do with reality. Must be some legacy text they forgot to remove from the site and FAQ.)

Right now, it's 7 am Tuesday morning in Central Europe, 1 am on the American East Coast, and 4 out of 7 games played last night (Monday) are already available in full-length replays over Apple TV.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Caster8
Rookie User

Quote:
Stop that bull**** with 24-48 hours. It's a myth. Most if not all full-length replays are available within a few hours from game completion, as they should be. (Well, should be within minutes, really.)

That nonsense about 24-48 hours is legacy stuff from their site, no relation to reality. It's what they're covering their arses with, in case someone like you complains.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they "forgot" to update the Vault description from last season. It makes no sense, to my mind, to store the current season in a historical "vault". The main site/app is a much more logical place to look for current season games. And is $50 for the entire season really that much? It's practically a gift from the NHL to hockey fans, at this price.

(Of course, we need to protest against any unwarranted blackouts, and demand the prompt upload of full-length replays.)

Actually in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Norway, we can't buy GCL because of a TV contract NHL has with Viasat, therefore we are told our only other option is getting the vault where they advertise replays of games the next day.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggSuperstar View Post

I ran into this issue on opening night. I logged on via my computer and it worked fine. Logged off the computer, went to the Apple app, signed out, signed back in again and the games were ready to go.

Closed Thread