HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
seemsayin

vCash: 500
****in love donairs

Old
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Anyone know when the Prime Time on 17st is expected to open?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:42 PM
molsonmuscle360

Does anyone know if Nail has yet discovered the wonder that is the donair?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
InUtero
Oilers!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Anyone know when the Prime Time on 17st is expected to open?
This. I found nothing on their site

Old
01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
BOUNCE

Anyone know of any good donair places in the riverbend area?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
40oz

Kind of random, but doesnt anyone know a good place around Strathcona/Bonnie Doon for take out Shawama? Preferably with a plate or platter option.

Ever since I left Millwoods I have cravings for Al Salaam pita, but it's such a long drive for me.

Sometimes I'll stop at a doniar place and get a chicken donair with garlic sauce, which is amazing, but it's just not the same.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 PM
PetryTV

Has anyone ever had a mall donair that was actually good?

Swiss is hands down the best in the city with honorable mentions to Fatboyz donair

Old
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Oi'll say!

In Cloverdale BC there's a king of donairs that serves up the "Halifax Donair" and it takes me right back to my first meal off base in Halifax. That sauce is awesome. I can't believe it's so close now.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Kind of random, but doesnt anyone know a good place around Strathcona/Bonnie Doon for take out Shawama? Preferably with a plate or platter option.

Ever since I left Millwoods I have cravings for Al Salaam pita, but it's such a long drive for me.

Sometimes I'll stop at a doniar place and get a chicken donair with garlic sauce, which is amazing, but it's just not the same.
You can get bags of Al Salaam pita bread from other stores too. I'm not sure how far you are from El Safadi Brothers (11316 134 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton, AB T5E 1K5)...but we have gone there for Al Salaam before.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
You can get bags of Al Salaam pita bread from other stores too. I'm not sure how far you are from El Safadi Brothers (11316 134 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton, AB T5E 1K5)...but we have gone there for Al Salaam before.
Yah I'm not too worried about the pitas. I just want the whole shawarma package, the pickled veggies, the sauces, the meat, salad. droooool. Is El Safadi Brothers the same as Sunbake Pita? I've been there a couple times, awesome pies, but pretty small menu.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:39 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetryTV View Post
Has anyone ever had a mall donair that was actually good?

Swiss is hands down the best in the city with honorable mentions to Fatboyz donair
Nikki's in Westmount is amazing. It's my personal favorite in the city. They're never soggy, not too greasy, he makes his own (fantastic) sauce, the meat isn't over-spiced, and the ingredients are always very fresh. Plus, they're fairly enormous.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Nikki's in Westmount is amazing. It's my personal favorite in the city. They're never soggy, not too greasy, he makes his own (fantastic) sauce, the meat isn't over-spiced, and the ingredients are always very fresh. Plus, they're fairly enormous.
Nikki's is great, but the sauce is taziki which i think its great but if you want the sweet sauce they dont have it.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
HallOfGreatness4

God, imagine being me. I've never had a donair.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:31 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
God, imagine being me. I've never had a donair.
*forum ban*

01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Simpleheart

favourite for donair wrap is high voltage on argyle and 104th st, the herbs and toasted pita make it

favourite for a shawarma/kebab plate is mashawee grill north of 137ave and 127st. kebab > shawarma these days due to them having to re-grill the meat

Old
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleheart View Post
favourite for donair wrap is high voltage on argyle and 104th st, the herbs and toasted pita make it

favourite for a shawarma/kebab plate is mashawee grill north of 137ave and 127st. kebab > shawarma these days due to them having to re-grill the meat
Last year I worked down the street from High Voltage and would go there at least once a week, and while their wraps are amazing I think their donairs are terrible.

If I want a Donair I'll go to a Donair shop.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Rin

Quote:
Yah I'm not too worried about the pitas. I just want the whole shawarma package, the pickled veggies, the sauces, the meat, salad. droooool. Is El Safadi Brothers the same as Sunbake Pita? I've been there a couple times, awesome pies, but pretty small menu.
No, it is basically just a grocery store. Have you tried PitaBake? http://pitabake.com/Menu.html

Another option is La Shish...I don't love their food but I'm Lebanese so I have super high standards.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Simpleheart

Quote:
No, it is basically just a grocery store. Have you tried PitaBake? http://pitabake.com/Menu.html

Another option is La Shish...I don't love their food but I'm Lebanese so I have super high standards.
second the opinion on la shish. their falafel is awesome but their sides fall on their face i.e. tabbouleh etc.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Nikki's is great, but the sauce is taziki which i think its great but if you want the sweet sauce they dont have it.
Yeah, but who wants the sweet sauce? Other than Maritimers, but we all know that those guys aren't really the best decision-makers.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
What is the best donair in Leduc? Also, the donairs at More Subs on 75th are pretty freaking awesome. The hot peppers really make it what it is.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleheart View Post
second the opinion on la shish. their falafel is awesome but their sides fall on their face i.e. tabbouleh etc.
The tabbouleh is HORRIBLE! I ate it once and it had more onions than parsley and they put cinnamon in it...CINNAMON!

Old
01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
40oz

Quote:

That's really far away, and to be honest, I don't go north of the river unless it's absolutely necessary. But that place looks like it's worth a try, I like that they got creative with their pies. Don't get me wrong, I love zatar, but I can't say no to buffalo chicken.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
That's really far away, and to be honest, I don't go north of the river unless it's absolutely necessary. But that place looks like it's worth a try, I like that they got creative with their pies. Don't get me wrong, I love zatar, but I can't say no to buffalo chicken.
best donairs etc.. are North of the river. They don't call the part of town I live near "Little Lebanon" for nothing! And I must say, my Lebonese neighbors are the best neighbors I've ever had. They gave us a plate of Lebanese treats when their daughter got married, and they were friggin awesome. Don't even ask me what they were, but they were absolutely heavenly. A whole plethora of different Lebanese desserts!

I think I really solidified our neighborly love last summer when I brought the old man over some true Italian beefsteak tomatoes.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
best donairs etc.. are North of the river. They don't call the part of town I live near "Little Lebanon" for nothing! And I must say, my Lebonese neighbors are the best neighbors I've ever had. They gave us a plate of Lebanese treats when their daughter got married, and they were friggin awesome. Don't even ask me what they were, but they were absolutely heavenly. A whole plethora of different Lebanese desserts!

I think I really solidified our neighborly love last summer when I brought the old man over some true Italian beefsteak tomatoes.
It's true, Swiss alone with worth the risk of getting lost up there.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Rin

Quote:
If you like zaatar, you can easily make it at home. Just buy some zaatar from a lebanese grocery store (there are a few to choose from) and then just mix it with olive oil until you get a paste (thickness is too your taste, I like it thick my husband likes it really thin). I have made it on the pre-made pizza crusts from No Frills/Superstore/Extra Foods/whatever it's called in your area and then just bake for like 10 minutes.

Or you can make your own pizza dough too

Closed Thread