HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dodging a Bullet in Hogtown

Old
01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Totally outplayed. Credit to Miller and the penalty kill.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemunky View Post
The good:

I can go to work tomorrow knowing we won.

The bad:

Kadri scored. I keep telling my Leafs loving co-worker hes crap but it doesn't sink in. Kadri did nothing all game. Hardly saw him and he had no shots and then gets that *** gift.
It's funny to see all the Leafs fans now fawning over this guy because he scored on Miller in a moment of unawareness. I didn't notice Kadri at all tonight.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
One of those opportunistic goals every other game and Kadri's an all-star, so

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Thought Hecht played great yesterday and poor today. Lost sight of the puck a lot.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Thought Hecht played great yesterday and poor today. Lost sight of the puck a lot.
Thought the same thing on Hecht. He did some of his just throwing the puck around anywhere without looking tonight.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

U : The misconducts at the end of the 2nd. Terrible call on both players.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I thought Foligno wasn't good at all today, didn't look like he had a single hit, offense died on his stick often.

Also, Hodgson has been for these two games outstanding, he has meshed with Vanek and Pommer so well and should have way more points with how well he has played. If Luke Adam can produce with those two, I'm excited with what Hodgson can do with those guys for a whole year, especially since Hodgson is infinitely more skilled and appears to have chemistry.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
SoFFacet

Didn't play all that well but kept most of the Leaf chances to the perimeter and capitalized on a couple good chances of our own. The way you must often win games that are the 2nd in two nights.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
dma0034

The Funny: 4 Disallowed Goals in favor of Buffalo through two games.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Totally outplayed. Credit to Miller and the penalty kill.
I'm not sure what game you were watching. From a class standpoint the Kessel-Lupul line was pathetic to watch. Lupul cherry picked all night and did nothing with it. The teams entire strategy seems to be have Lupul cherry pick a breakaway or 2 on 1 or get it to Kessel and have him shoot from anywhere on the ice. Grabovski was non existent, Kulemin is a black hole offensively and MacArthur (someone I loved as a player in junior) has turned into a trashy NHL player. The VHP line alone generated more quality chances than the other 7 lines in the game combined. Toronto was in Buffalo's zone for longer periods of time but most of the shots were low quality. Buffalo played yesterday, Toronto did not. Toronto was at home, Buffalo was not.

I thought both teams looked equally rusty and the ice sucked. Toronto's defense on the other hand was great at both ends of the rink I thought. They had an uncanny knack of keeping the puck in no matter the situation. And this is without arguably their best D man.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 PM
McTank

Quote:
The Funny: 4 Disallowed Goals in favor of Buffalo through two games.
Not our fault theres idiots punching pucks in

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:28 PM
GWheels
Rookie User

I like Kaleta because he's a pain in the ass for the other teams but he needs to play smarter and not be the tough guy all the time.

GWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
More like the whole game: 22-4 on draws. Ridiculous.
Isn't Ott top 10 in the league? Why isn't he taking the key draws? He was often on the ice for them.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Need to find a good face off man. It's a glaring problem.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:30 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Not our fault theres idiots punching pucks in
True I just don't think Buffalo got 4 disallowed goals all of last season.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I thought Foligno wasn't good at all today, didn't look like he had a single hit, offense died on his stick often.
He wasn't that great in the first game either but he was at least physical. The few times he did hit someone tonight he bounced off them and fell on his ass. He clogged up parts of the ice offensively tonight where he didn't need to which allowed for an easy clear.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he has the flu or something. But then again he had an unnecessary fight later in the game so maybe he's fine. Buffalo was controlling the tempo of the period before that fight and proceeded to get hemmed in their zone for the rest of the game. Hopefully his balls aren't chopped off by Lindy but he needs to reel that in when you're on the road.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Isn't Ott top 10 in the league? Why isn't he taking the key draws? He was often on the ice for them.
He was and he lost some of those draws.

Old
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Good:
- Miller
- Grigorenko has done well defensively for an 18 year old center, or really for any rookie
- Top line generated a lot
- Ott continuing to be awesome
- Not taking any guff around the net

Bad:
- Other lines didn't generate much offensively
- PP still very sloppy and the 2nd unit has no effectiveness on top of that
- Blowing an opportunity to shut out the Leafs

Ugly:
- NHL lockout seems to still be in effect for Kaleta. Not allowed out on the ice.
- Pommers robbing Vanek of a crucial assist. Now he'll finish one point shy of the Art Ross.
- Leafs PP

Maybe that's why he passed it to Vanek yesterday.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Presten

I like the new look of the team, but we really need someone to step up and take over Gaustads spot at the dot. Nearly caught myself yelling at Ruff to get Grier out there at the end ...

Presten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Good:
- The apparent 180 in attitude with this team regarding sticking up for each other... any time someone has touched Miller this season, the Sabres have taken a penalty doing something to protect him.
- VHP. Playing like a first line should, all of them getting points. Hodgson doesn't look out of place at all.
- Miller. Never makes it look difficult but he made 34 saves, the kind of play we'll need from him this season to be contenders.
- Stafford. Little thing I've noticed from the first two games, he seems to be connecting on a LOT more passes. I feel like last year that breakaway pass to Vanek against Philly wouldn't have happened. He gets a lot of passes on the tape.
- Grigs in the defensive zone. He was almost always the first forward back and made several plays getting his stick on the puck. Absolutely not out of place playing defense in the NHL.
- Ott. He's awesome.
- Sulzer. So solid defensively. I can't think of a big mistake he's made in these two games.
- Defense overall was pretty good, definitely frustrated the Leafs forwards getting into the zone, it was just a struggle once it got into the zone.
- The calls we're getting this season.... is that now four disallowed goals in two games? I don't think I've ever seen that many go one way.
- PK. That extended 5-on-3 was amazing.
- Beating the Leafs.

Bad:
- Grigo's confidence with the puck on offense. I really wish he would've shot on that 2-on-1 and scored, because it feels like he's so concerned with playing defense he doesn't want to get caught making a mistake.
- Got absolutely killed at the dot, 46-19, against a team that I don't think most would consider seriously deep at center. And oddly enough it wasn't Grigs who killed us.. he was 4/7. Hodgson (5/17) and Ennis (2/12) is really bad.
- Also got outshot by a lot.
- Ennis' miss on the pass by Vanek.
- Scott losing to Orr.

Ugly:
- Giving out scarves to their fans is the most Toronto thing ever.

Last edited by Sean McG: 01-22-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
It's funny to see all the Leafs fans now fawning over this guy because he scored on Miller in a moment of unawareness. I didn't notice Kadri at all tonight.
For all his defensive zone prowess, I didn't even know Grigorenko dressed. I guess we pay more attention to our own players.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Sound_n_Fury

G: Miller in mid-season form
PK weathering the storm early
Defensive zone discipline, even when guys were gassed and hanging on for dear life

B: Pommer's empty net miss
Ennis being unproductive with the puck around the net, yet again

U: Paying regular season prices for exhibition hockey

Sound_n_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I'm not sure what game you were watching. From a class standpoint the Kessel-Lupul line was pathetic to watch. Lupul cherry picked all night and did nothing with it. The teams entire strategy seems to be have Lupul cherry pick a breakaway or 2 on 1 or get it to Kessel and have him shoot from anywhere on the ice. Grabovski was non existent, Kulemin is a black hole offensively and MacArthur (someone I loved as a player in junior) has turned into a trashy NHL player. The VHP line alone generated more quality chances than the other 7 lines in the game combined. Toronto was in Buffalo's zone for longer periods of time but most of the shots were low quality. Buffalo played yesterday, Toronto did not. Toronto was at home, Buffalo was not.

I thought both teams looked equally rusty and the ice sucked. Toronto's defense on the other hand was great at both ends of the rink I thought. They had an uncanny knack of keeping the puck in no matter the situation. And this is without arguably their best D man.
You credit the Leafs, I blame the Sabres forwards for being terrible at helping their D get the puck out along the boards. This needs to improve.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:41 PM
DixonWard15

U: xbox gamecenter is completely useless

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
He was and he lost some of those draws.
That may be true, but I saw one defensive sequence where Grigs was thrown out of the draw, Hecht took it, lost it and they nearly gave up a goal as a result. The other forward on the ice was Ott.

The other key draws I saw down the stretch had Hodgson taking them and losing them.

We have a top 10 guy who can play defence (so you don't him running to the bench after the draw). Use him. And if he is tired, feel free to use your TO.