HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 12:10 AM
  #26
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,364
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Everything we have seen from him has shown that he is dedicated and determined to excel here. He came to North America and has worked hard to become fluent in English, he didn't flee back to Russia during the lockout, he says he doesn't want anything to do with the KHL, and his goal is to show the teams that didn't pick him that they have made a terrible mistake. You mentioned the chip on his shoulder, that's one of the reasons we don't think he's a lazy. Pride.

The laziest person I've ever met is a Swede. How long before Grigorenko convinces people that the stereotype is false? Ten years from now will we be worried that he still might be a Euro who is starting to lose the battle of repressing his innate indifference?

Myers is from Texas, how do we know he is NOT the so called cowboy who will run away to join the rodeo?
Good post, lets hope Grigs is the guy to end the crap about Russian players... IMO it was started by the "Grape".... it must end.

Robert is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:23 AM
  #27
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Myers is from Texas, how do we know he is NOT the so called cowboy who will run away to join the rodeo?
Eklund already has an early rumor out....

Myers to quit sabres, and join the rodeo. E-3.

VaporTrail is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
  #28
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Myers to quit sabres, and join the rodeo. E-3.
That'll go to E-4 as giraffe-riding becomes more accepted on the PBR tour.

Ralonzo is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
  #29
Sabres Fan UK
eh?
 
Sabres Fan UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, England.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
That'll go to E-4 as giraffe-riding becomes more accepted on the PBR tour.
He's a good prospect but i think your overating him a bit, he just isn't ready for Giraffes yet.

Sabres Fan UK is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:22 AM
  #30
Wisent42
Registered User
 
Wisent42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Södertälje
Country: Sweden
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?

Wisent42 is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 02:43 AM
  #31
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?
I believe Hecht becomes the 3rd line center. Then Gerbe and McCormick bump Scott and Ellis out. Girgensons is not near NHL ready

LGB24 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  #32
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?
Plan B seems to kind of take the wind out of the sails.

VaporTrail is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  #33
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer
 
Bobby Bottle Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
As far as the lazy Russian tag, there have been enough examples to warrant the stereotype, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how growing up on the far east end of Russia affects his personality/character? Grigs grew up as far removed from Moscow as someone in Russia can... his hometown is 15 minutes EAST of China.

Perhaps he's a got a Crosby-esque work ethic due to growing up on the East coast...

Anyway, he looked great yesterday, especially as the game went on. If this continues, he should stick.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  #34
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
As far as the lazy Russian tag, there have been enough examples to warrant the stereotype, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how growing up on the far east end of Russia affects his personality/character? Grigs grew up as far removed from Moscow as someone in Russia can... his hometown is 15 minutes EAST of China.

Perhaps he's a got a Crosby-esque work ethic due to growing up on the East coast...

Anyway, he looked great yesterday, especially as the game went on. If this continues, he should stick.
Since when does where you were born affect your life long work ethic?

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
  #35
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer
 
Bobby Bottle Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Since when does where you were born affect your life long work ethic?
While not a rule, East Coasters in Canada have a reputation of being humble despite success. Ever hear Sidney crow about how great he is?

But you have to be from there to understand. Not your fault.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  #36
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Since when does where you were born affect your life long work ethic?
Come on now don´t be naive, life is going to be much harder in some places then others. I work in Europe and the south africans are or most of them very hard works for much less a wage doing crappy jobs but are happy to make 5 euros an hour instead of 5 euros a day.

Of course where you are born effects your work ethic but it is something that is not 100%.

heartsabres* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
  #37
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Come on now don´t be naive, life is going to be much harder in some places then others. I work in Europe and the south africans are or most of them very hard works for much less a wage doing crappy jobs but are happy to make 5 euros an hour instead of 5 euros a day.

Of course where you are born effects your work ethic but it is something that is not 100%.
I agree, there are all types of people in any area, but starkly different backgrounds do forge someone's character to some degree, sometimes to a large degree.

One thing that is certain, in any respect you want to discuss it, where Grigorenko is from is very different than the Moscow area, just as here there is a fair difference (despite having only developed over a couple hundred years) in culture between longtime east coasters, midwestern descendants of homesteaders, descendants of southwestern ranching, etc. To go from west to east in Russia is to go from Eastern Europe to Far Eastern Asia, with Siberia right in the path.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
  #38
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
I think he will be sent down after his 5 games are up unless he really impresses these next 3 games. He's been solid defensively, but I think they play it safe with the 18 year old. I'd like to see him stay up, but I would be surprised to see the organization keep him here.

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
  #39
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
As far as the lazy Russian tag, there have been enough examples to warrant the stereotype, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how growing up on the far east end of Russia affects his personality/character? Grigs grew up as far removed from Moscow as someone in Russia can... his hometown is 15 minutes EAST of China.

Perhaps he's a got a Crosby-esque work ethic due to growing up on the East coast...

Anyway, he looked great yesterday, especially as the game went on. If this continues, he should stick.

You know Crosby grew up on the East Coast in Canada, not the US, right?

ottsabrefan is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
  #40
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I think he will be sent down after his 5 games are up unless he really impresses these next 3 games. He's been solid defensively, but I think they play it safe with the 18 year old. I'd like to see him stay up, but I would be surprised to see the organization keep him here.
Honestly, they can't afford to lose a center who can play plus defense, assuming he can continue to do that. If they send Grigorenko down they better bring in another center. Sample size and all but he's at something like 56% on his faceoffs. If he can manage to stay even a bit over 50% over the course of the season then that is another thing the team can't afford to lose. Unless he starts slipping a lot defensively I really think they'd be foolish to not keep him up.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
  #41
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
You know Crosby grew up on the East Coast in Canada, not the US, right?
Neither did Grigs. I'm not sure what you're even trying to say here.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:09 PM
  #42
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Honestly, they can't afford to lose a center who can play plus defense, assuming he can continue to do that. If they send Grigorenko down they better bring in another center. Sample size and all but he's at something like 56% on his faceoffs. If he can manage to stay even a bit over 50% over the course of the season then that is another thing the team can't afford to lose. Unless he starts slipping a lot defensively I really think they'd be foolish to not keep him up.
Agreed. The only play that makes me hesitate a little bit was a developing 2-on-1 where Grigo passed the puck WAY too soon and it was easily broken up.

He needs to take that more to the net and then decide pass or shoot -- showed me that he's lacking confidence.


But otherwise, I see nothing to suggest that he should be sent down.

Zman5778 is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
  #43
beerme1
Registered User
 
beerme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
I think he stays based on these two games and assuming he continues to grow. He probably has earned the vote from Lindy based on the fact he is defensively responsible. Not his offense. I also think Leino on the wing and Ott on the other with him will make for a killer third line and probably salvage Leino's career here.
He's not giving them a reason to send him back to the Q where he has already maxed out. The AHL might be the right choice but we can't do that so keep him. If there is room on an NHL team for Matt Ellis there damn well better be for this kid.

beerme1 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
  #44
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,672
vCash: 500
This Sabres team in the shortened season has a good of chance as anyone to win the Cup.This season will be a weird one and with our makeup our team can thrive in this shortened season.Having a 3 deep center core of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko is really benefiting us.Grigs has not looked out of place and I really want him to play with Leino, an offensive player who would thrive with Grigs IMO.

I think Grigs will stay.Especially when Leino comes back our team will produce even more.Our top 9 is as deep as anyone else's when you have guys like Leino,Ott and Grigorenko as 3rd liners.Pominville-Vanek is the best RW-LW combo in the NHL right now.Ruff and Regier know this year's team is built well and has a chance to go far, and they will realize once Grigorenko gets comfortable up here that he will start to produce along with providing adequate defense.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
  #45
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?
Porter could be an option, but probably better as a depth player.

Girgensons is out indefinitely with a concussion. He is not NHL ready.

I proposed in the other thread to trade for Jarret Stoll. Sabres need size and faceoff ability down the middle. LA have defensemen hurting (Mitchell and Greene out for months?).

Jacob582 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
  #46
GodHatesBuffalo
Registered User
 
GodHatesBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
This Sabres team in the shortened season has a good of chance as anyone to win the Cup.This season will be a weird one and with our makeup our team can thrive in this shortened season.Having a 3 deep center core of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko is really benefiting us.Grigs has not looked out of place and I really want him to play with Leino, an offensive player who would thrive with Grigs IMO.

I think Grigs will stay.Especially when Leino comes back our team will produce even more.Our top 9 is as deep as anyone else's when you have guys like Leino,Ott and Grigorenko as 3rd liners.Pominville-Vanek is the best RW-LW combo in the NHL right now.Ruff and Regier know this year's team is built well and has a chance to go far, and they will realize once Grigorenko gets comfortable up here that he will start to produce along with providing adequate defense.
yes sir

GodHatesBuffalo is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
  #47
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,566
vCash: 436
Is there a better option than Girgorenko should they send him down? I don't think so.

drinking bleach irl is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
  #48
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Is there a better option than Girgorenko should they send him down? I don't think so.
What do you think Lindy?
He back checks and plays defense.

Fans how bout you guys?
He doesn't remind me of Roy.

Sweet we are in agreement he stays.

At least that's how I hope it goes.

Imlach a cup is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:33 PM
  #49
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Is there a better option than Girgorenko should they send him down? I don't think so.
Hecht will become the #3 center and play with Ott and Leino. People are gonna be pissed but I see it coming. Or Ott will center the line..


Last edited by Fire Lindy: 01-21-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  #50
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Hecht will become the #3 center and play with Ott and Leino. People are gonna be pissed but I see it coming.
This team needs size at center who can win faceoffs.

Small sample, but through two games Hodgson, Ennis and Hecht have combined to win 36% of faceoffs (won 32 out of 88). A team is going to lose a lot of points if your top three centers don't improve.

That is why I proposed trading for someone like Jarret Stoll if Grigorenko goes back to junior.

Jacob582 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.