HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko (NHL) Discussion Thread (IV)

Old
01-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I love listening to him talk hockey with the reporters. Seems like he could just talk about it for hours on end.
We're more than 2, man!

Tarasenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Can Tarasenko be on the level of Stamkos and Taverez?
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but the answer is probably no. Tavares and Stamkos are centers, so it is very difficult to draw comparisons between them and Tarasenko.

If you are talking about point totals, then the issue that Tarasenko is going to have is the fact we don't have a center with first line offensive abilities.

The Hitchcock system is probably the most interesting aspect. Our team is so young when he came in preaching about defensive responsibility, and the team proved capable of that. That becomes second nature at a point, and they become better at reading offensive plays within that. I don't see any real reason that we aren't going to end the season averaging right around 3 goals per game, compared to just over 2.5 last season. Long term, I don't really think that has a big impact on his numbers.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The Hitchcock system is probably the most interesting aspect. Our team is so young when he came in preaching about defensive responsibility, and the team proved capable of that. That becomes second nature at a point, and they become better at reading offensive plays within that. I don't see any real reason that we aren't going to end the season averaging right around 3 goals per game, compared to just over 2.5 last season. Long term, I don't really think that has a big impact on his numbers.
But Hitchcock isn't dumb. He will adapt his game system (at least on Frank's line) to make sure to collect the most goals with it. After he will close the game with his usual system.

Tarasenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
od71

You all don't know, how I desperately want to see in the SC final SLB against Pittsburgh. Tarasenko against the best player on the planet Evgeni Malkin. I know, it's hardly going to happen. But may be, some day.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
SoulChaser17

I wouldn't compare Tarasenko to someone like Stamkos, but there's no need. As you can see Stamkos is a star player on a decent team that isn't playoff material.

We could have been cup contenders already, but now we no longer have to deal with Colaiacovo, and instead we have Schwartz, Cole, and Tarasenko stepping up BIG TIME. Schwartz still needs some work done, but I have confidence in him. Cole showed potential last season, but now he's really showing what he's capable of and I always preferred him over Colaiacovo. And Tarasenko, oh man. Everyone around the league is already talking about him. He was our final piece of the puzzle to really complete this team. I honestly think we have a REALLY good shot at the cup this year.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I think it's going to be tough for Redden to crack this line up if everyone's healthy. Cole is really the only realistic player he could replace, and he's been playing very solid. Multiple great outlet passes, strong in his own zone, really using his big frame to separate players from the puck, and I think most importantly for him 0 PIMs. I really don't want him replaced at this point.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:33 PM
od71

Quote:
Well, anything is possible, however I think that's pretty optimistic. I see a lot of Alex Semin in him. Semin gets a bad rap about not playing defense, but I don't think that's really fair. He's certainly not great defensively, but he is competent. That's pretty much where I'd put Tarasenko's defensive game. He's not going to win any Selke's, but it's not a train wreck either. He's always going to be a scorer first, but I think Hitch will get him playing a little better defense by season's end. I think he'll be a 65-75 point scoring winger. Great to have on this team for certain.
No, definitely not. He is different. He has nothing similar with Semin. You stunned me. You are first to compare them. Sibir in Tarasenko's time was one of the most defensive teams in the KHL, even more defensive than SLB. All forwards had to hard work in their own zone

Old
01-21-2013, 11:35 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
No, definitely not. He is different. He has nothing similar with Semin. You stunned me. You are first to compare them. Sibir in Tarasenko's time was one of the most defensive teams in the KHL, even more defensive than SLB. All forwards had to hard work in their own zone
Nothing similar with Semin? Speedy winger with a great shot and average defensively. I think that describes both players. Are you implying Semin doesn't work hard in his zone? I disagree.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM
od71

Quote:
Nothing similar with Semin? Speedy winger with a great shot and average defensively. I think that describes both players. Are you implying Semin doesn't work hard in his zone? I disagree.
Agree with his offensive skills assesment but not defensive. He doesn't get cheap penalties. You didn't notice he was the fastest guy to run in his own zone when opponent is attacking. You haven't seen him stealing the puck from the opponent forward's blade in front of his net

Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Agree with his offensive skills assesment but not defensive. He doesn't get cheap penalties. You didn't notice he was the fastest guy to run in his own zone when opponent is attacking. You haven't seen him stealing the puck from the opponent forward's blade in front of his net
I see those things in both players. I think Tarasenko gives a little more effort back checking, but I think Semin does a decent job too.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 AM
od71

They have different mentality, absolutely different. Taras is a leader, he always acts as if he carries the full responsibility for final result. Semin is different.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Bluesman91

Crazy to think that the players who aren't scratched are all under 30 other than AMac, Jax, and Nichol.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
I think it's going to be tough for Redden to crack this line up if everyone's healthy. Cole is really the only realistic player he could replace, and he's been playing very solid. Multiple great outlet passes, strong in his own zone, really using his big frame to separate players from the puck, and I think most importantly for him 0 PIMs. I really don't want him replaced at this point.
Redden WILL be playing semi-regularly. He wasn't signed to knock Cole out of the lineup. He was signed to provide depth to be able to rotate the lower 5 defencemen, so that Jackman can get enough rest, and the others can remain fresh through the compressed schedule, and so there is no large dropoff in skill, talent and experience when multiple injuries hit. He should play 30-37 games, and 16-18 min. per game during the regular season. Less in the playoffs if no one is hurt. More in the playoffs, if there is one or if there are more injuries.

No one on this forum or on The Blues' coaching staff wants Redden to keep Cole from playing.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:23 AM
OCTA8ON

Both Semin and Tarasenko have that natural, elegant, and quick release on their shots. I see Tarasenko as a Semin/Datsyuk hybrid. He skates like Datsyuk and dekes similar to him (but not as well) while sniping like Semin (although not as well).

On a side note, people automatically associate Semin negatively. You can't JUST look at his lazyness. If you're going to acknowledge that, then you have to at least give credit to his sniping ability too.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:50 AM
SoundAndFury

Semin and Tarasenko are soooooooo different. Their mentality, effort level, passion for the game, skating, physical play, Tarasenko's superb vision and playmaking ability, to name a few. Everyone who has seen enough KHL matches would say that.

Obviously you can find a few similarities between them (most obvious being their release) but you can find similarities between all the players.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:04 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Both Semin and Tarasenko have that natural, elegant, and quick release on their shots. I see Tarasenko as a Semin/Datsyuk hybrid. He skates like Datsyuk and dekes similar to him (but not as well) while sniping like Semin (although not as well).

On a side note, people automatically associate Semin negatively. You can't JUST look at his lazyness. If you're going to acknowledge that, then you have to at least give credit to his sniping ability too.
Honestly, the guy you're looking for is Mogilny. Tarasenko, ultimately, is unique and there are certainly differences - Tarasenko is stronger and feistier - but as long as we're comparing him to elite Russian forwards, he's the guy who comes to mind for me.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Honestly, the guy you're looking for is Mogilny. Tarasenko, ultimately, is unique and there are certainly differences - Tarasenko is stronger and feistier - but as long as we're comparing him to elite Russian forwards, he's the guy who comes to mind for me.
I don't think it is too far off to compare to Kovalchuk although maybe a bit early. I originally thought Mogilny but I think Franks game will transition more towards Ilya's style of play.

I guess only time will tell and neither one will be a disappointment.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
SirRocko

Dumb question, but how likely is it that he keeps this up? I got offered Giroux for Tarasenko straight up for fantasy hockey. I'd be stupid not to take it right? I have Tarasenko right now.

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
Dumb question, but how likely is it that he keeps this up? I got offered Giroux for Tarasenko straight up for fantasy hockey. I'd be stupid not to take it right? I have Tarasenko right now.
Straight up you should take that trade.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
If its not a keeper league I would take that trade instantly (for this season).

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
No brainer. Take that, run, and rub it in the guy's face later. Tarasenko's a good player, but he will slow down.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
STL fan in IA

I see a lot of Bobby Ryan in Tarasenko. I've never seen the need to only compare him to fellow Russians. Soon enough though, he will be the established player fans compare new players to.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

The kids looking really good so far, the KHL season up until now, and the last two games. Should be fun watching him play live tonight.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Fred Murtz

Vladimir Tarasenko 1st star 19 Jan 2013 video for those that missed it

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Canuck fan here

Looks like you've got a gem in Tarasenko. Thanks to centre ice I get to watch more Blues games! You guys are going to be a strong foe again this year.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote