HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who will win the NW division?

View Poll Results: Who will win the division?
The Vancouver Canucks 122 42.07%
Colorado 8 2.76%
Minnesota 120 41.38%
Edmonton 32 11.03%
Calgary 8 2.76%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Minesotto

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I'm picking Vancouver to seed around 4-6. They traditionally start slow plus they have significant injuries right now. However, they will finish strong and take that momentum to the playoffs where they will be a top contender.

01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

With Kesler being out for a while if the Canucks don't make moves up front I can see the Wild taking advantage and finishing 1st

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Probably Vancouver, I can't see Minnesota or Colorado surpassing them unless Vancouver really hits a rough stretch. Edmonton is still rising up the rankings and Calgary is falling. But it's more of a toss up this year than it has been in awhile.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
A few biases in the way you wrote this

1 - You're only talking about Minnesotas second half of the season. The first half they were one of the best teams. You can't just isolate the parts that support your argument. The biggest sample size we have from last year is 82 games, and over 82 games Minnesota got 81 points and finished 12th.
Usually if you are talking about how a team will do in the present season and are comparing how they did in the previous season, you would look to trends in the later part of that previous season, not the start of it. The final 54 games is a pretty significant trend to look at rather than the initial 28 games. But that being said, it is no guarantee for failure, and the Wild could still crack 9th or 10th spot in the conference...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Wild
Nucks
Oilers
Avalanche
Flames

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
Usually if you are talking about how a team will do in the present season and are comparing how they did in the previous season, you would look to trends in the later part of that previous season, not the start of it. The final 54 games is a pretty significant trend to look at rather than the initial 28 games. But that being said, it is no guarantee for failure, and the Wild could still crack 9th or 10th spot in the conference...
The Wild had a lot of injuries and no depth to fill those injuries. That was a big contributor to how they ended up falling so far in the standings. Hope you factored that in when coming up with your "trends".

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Vancouver still.

Edmonton finished 37 points back last year. While they improved a lot, I don't think they've done enough to overcome that gap.

Calgary hasn't done much to improve their team this year - I don't see any of Wideman, Hudler, or Cervenka making the huge impact that will be required to get them into division contention. And Kiprusoff already had a great year last year, and the Flames still missed the playoffs.

Colorado is missing their leading scorer and best two-way player right now in a contract dispute.

Minnesota has made the biggest improvements, but they also started from a bad spot - they were dead last in the league in scoring last year, at only 2.02 goals a game. That number probably would have been better if it wasn't for Koivu's injury, but nevertheless I just don't think they've improved enough to take over the NW division. They probably will be a playoff team though.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Fin9*

´´The Vancouver Canucks´´

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Edmonton is not getting enough love here , it's a short season and their roster is full of young superstars who all played hockey since september . I dont argue that the Wild and the Nucks are there , but still we have to look at the Oilers on a sprint season .

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I'm picking Vancouver to seed around 4-6. They traditionally start slow plus they have significant injuries right now. However, they will finish strong and take that momentum to the playoffs where they will be a top contender.
This is how I see it too.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
So why is 54 the precise magic number that's worth looking at, is that the rubric you always use when predicting a team's performance? Or only when the team performed well in the 28 previous games, which don't support your argument?

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Drewcifer

Over the last couple of years the pattern with the Wild is that they were a pretty good team with a healthy Koivu and one of the worst teams in the league when he was injured. I think the influx of talent moves both parts of that equation up a level. It isn't just about stats, it is about the way the team plays. As long as one of either Parise or Koivu are ok they will still be competitive if the other is injured, that wasn't the case in the past. Healthy, the Wild are a very good team, injured they are probably a bubble team. If they stay healthy this year and the Canucks get off to a slow start they could win it. I think Minnesota and Vancouver both have about equal chances.

Last edited by Drewcifer: 01-22-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:58 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
The Wild, Vancouver has a better defense but I think Minny has a better offense and goal tending is a wash. I think the energy that the city has bringing in Parise and Suter will give the Wild the moment to win the division.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The Wild, Vancouver has a better defense but I think Minny has a better offense and goal tending is a wash. I think the energy that the city has bringing in Parise and Suter will give the Wild the moment to win the division.
The Canucks are better at every position, except maybe offense with Booth and Kesler out.(6-9 days until Kesler starts skating with the Canucks again)

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The way I see it, defence/goaltending is pretty close but slight advantage Vancouver.

However, I am simply not sold on Minnesota's offence.

In 2010-11, they had no significant injuries, and finished as the 5th lowest scoring team in the league.

In that offseason they dropped Havlat and gained Heatley.

In 2011-12, Minnesota finished dead last, 30th in the league, in goals for, and in fact, were the lowest-scoring team in the entire period between the lockouts 2005-2012. So what, you say? Koivu, Bouchard, and Setoguchi all were out for quite a while.

Except, the Wild were not only 30th but well behind, not even close to anyone else. They could have scored 20 more goals last year and still been the lowest scoring team in the league.

Meanwhile, Vancouver has been 2nd, 1st, and 5th in scoring during the last three seasons. The Canucks are now missing two-thirds of their 2nd line, so they'll slip a bit, but I don't think they're going to end up anywhere near the bottom of the standings. After all, Henrik Sedin was the highest-scoring forward in the West last year, and the Canucks also get a large chunk of their scoring from the blueline.

Now Wild add Granlund, Parise, Suter, and the Canucks are down Kesler and Booth.

IMO everything needs to go right for the Wild - their new acquisitions play to potential and they stay healthy, while Kesler and Booth are out for most of the season, and maybe even a H. Sedin injury (unlikely due to his history) - for them to pass the Canucks in goals per game. There is simply too much of a difference to make up.

Note: You might be wondering about Boston, which finished last in scoring in 2009-10 and then won the division plus the Cup the following year. First of all, the Bruins actually got 2.39 G/G that year, with Savard injured, which is still a lot better than the Wild did last year. Like the Wild, they made major changes in the offseason adding Horton, Campbell, Marchand, and Seguin. But those Bruins didn't have a two-time Presidents Trophy winner and perennial top offensive team in their division to contend with - their division was won by the Buffalo Sabres (10th in goals per game), so the "bar" they needed to beat was lower. They also got historic goaltending from Tim Thomas, which I'm not holding my breath for Backstrom or Harding to accomplish this year.

TL, DR: Canucks offence >>>> Wild offence last year. Changes in the offseason and injuries haven't done enough to make Wild offence better than Canucks, unless the stars align for Minnesota. Therefore Vancouver still favoured to win the NW.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Drewcifer

One of the issues with the Wild's scoring is that Mike Yeo likes to use the top line to shut down the other team's top line. That hurts their scoring but helps them win games. Minnesota will probably be a low scoring team again this year, people who don't watch them play and just look at statistics will wonder why they are wining.

Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Canucks are still the heavy favorites.

The Sedins are just on a different level than any other players in the division at the moment.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:04 AM
nowhereman

Minnesota is leading this poll?

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:05 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Minnesota

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm just going to state my case for the Oilers.
Cam Barker and Linus Omark out. Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov in. That alone is a massive improvement(unproven rookies or not)
Hall, Eberle, and RNH all of the potential to get a lot better(well maybe not Eberle), and started the season running.
Dubnyk is now the starting goalie and actually had pretty decent stats last year for a 29th place team(.915sv%). If he can play at that level for 35 games they will have a shot.
Still no true #1 defenseman but Smid and Petry made big improvements last year, and N.Schultz is a quiet but solid guy. He'll never be a star of the game but will make big contributions.
Special teams will be a big factor this year and the Oilers with all of their skill will be the beneficiaries of a lot of PP time. They had the #3 PP last year and I cant see the addition of J.Schultz and Yakupov hurting that.
OT/Shoot outs will also be big with a tight race. Open ice will favour the speed and skill of this young team and having the options of Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky and even Horcoff is a luxury.
We'll see if inexperience and injuries kills them but they started so well last year

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Canucks are still the heavy favorites.

The Sedins are just on a different level than any other players in the division at the moment.
Ryan Suter?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Lawzy

Assuming Kesler gets back when projected I see no reason to believe the Canucks won't win again.

Big if though.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
ricky0034

how the **** is Minnesota winning this poll?

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 AM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Nucks
Wild
Oilers
Flames
Avalanche

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote