HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Islanders win and Jets get at least a point...Habs could easily be the worst team in the East right now.
They are, tied for last with ZERO points.

Although they have a game in hand on NYR and Phillie on the suck meter.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Still think MacKinnon gets the nod. He's more physical than Drouin. Think Drouin will go 3rd though.
I'd rather go for the most skilled. Drouin can make players that MacKinnon can't. Being more physical at 5'11" 185lbs doesn't make a big difference.

Drouin has the potential to lead the league in Points. MacKinnon is more of a guy who'll score a lot but won't make linemates better(Vanek Yakupov Kovalchuk).

Old
01-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd rather go for the most skilled. Drouin can make players that MacKinnon can't. Being more physical at 5'11" 185lbs doesn't make a big difference.

Drouin has the potential to lead the league in Points. MacKinnon is more of a guy who'll score a lot but won't make linemates better(Vanek Yakupov Kovalchuk).
I pick Barkov before both of them. Jones, Barkov, MacKinnon, Drouin/Lindholm

Old
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
DAChampion

Picking up one of Barkov/Lindholm/Jones and losing Subban would be a lateral move.

I've been saying for ~6 months that if we add one bluechip prospect franchise player to our core, then we have the nucleus of a consistent contender for 2015-2018.

However, this assumes Bergevin does not screw up the Subban negotiations.

Jones-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Emelin-Tinordi
Ellis, Diaz

Canl be a very good defensive core as soon as 2014-2015.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Picking up one of Barkov/Lindholm/Jones and losing Subban would be a lateral move.

I've been saying for ~6 months that if we add one bluechip prospect franchise player to our core, then we have the nucleus of a consistent contender for 2015-2018.

Jones-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Emelin-Tinordi
Ellis, Diaz

Having a Jones-Subban pairing would instantly take us to the next level. Our forward corp might be kind of crap still, but that pairing has potential to be a possession beast.

Of course it doesn't matter who we draft if we keep chasing promising youngsters out of town.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Having a Jones-Subban pairing would instantly take us to the next level. Our forward corp might be kind of crap still, but that pairing has potential to be a possession beast.

Of course it doesn't matter who we draft if we keep chasing promising youngsters out of town.
I don't like the idea of having two RH d-men on the same pairing.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
I am extremely excited for this years draft to think we may get one or 2 more people that dropped alot in value like collberg could you imagine if our draft looked like jones,Domi,duclair,Hartman unlikely but never less would be amazing. jones is a possibility with how bad we are this year though..,.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

I hope we don't sign Subban till the end of the season, I want Jones, Barkov or Lindholm. I have passed beyond the point of caring with this mess of a season.

Getting a top 5 pick will be my stanley cup this year.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I hope we don't sign Subban till the end of the season, I want Jones, Barkov or Lindholm. I have passed beyond the point of caring with this mess of a season.

Getting a top 5 pick will be my stanley cup this year.
No. Finishing last, win the lottery and picked Seth Jones would be the ultimate goal.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
No. Finishing last, win the lottery and picked Seth Jones would be the ultimate goal.
Agreed, but any top 5 picks assuming we don't lose Subban will let me live with my expectations for this season.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:10 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
You never know where Jones could fall, we could grab him at 3 or end up with Drouin. If we ended up with one of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin or Lindholm I would still consider it a success.

What I don't like is this obsession with everything Q here. There are excellent prospects in all the leagues and the Q is not one I would focus on.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

You must not have watched Kovy after the first 2 months last year, he became a premier playmaker. He went from being more selfish than OV8 to showing more hockey IQ than Parise.

I hope we don't end up being in a position where we can draft Drouin (as much as I love his game), while a guy like Barkov is available. A duo of him and Galchenyuk at center for the next 15 years would make our wing prospects infinitely better, and we would become contenders within 5 years.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Habs may find themselves with the #1 overall pick,which would appease their fans greatly to draft Seth Jones.He's hands down the best IMO in this draft,what could be better when they miss the playoffs.With their three 2nd round picks they should draft forwards,hopefully top six talent if available. Burakowsky,Zykov,Carrier, Bailey, Dauphin, Poirier,De La Rose,Buchnevich and Connor Hurley are possibles.Round three defencemen like Morin,Roy,Muller and Arnesson,maybe Bowie,Theodore or Wheaton if any of them are still available.The main objective for the Habs should be talented forwards and if the opportunity is there forwards with size and top six talent.The Habs depth at forward is so depleted it's a necessity to draft high end or high ceiling types of forwards.Bergevin should be trying to acquire 1st,2nd & 3rd round picks to insure the Habs regain depth in their system,without having depth the future playoff runs will suffer due to lack of quality replacements.It's the Habs rebuild years and every team knows that,so trading and signings are the expectations of a team playing below .500 hockey.Subban isn't interested in signing a Cap Friendly Contract so maybe it's time to look for a trade that reaps benefits this draft and the next,along with a prospect.With Bergevin,Dudley and Timmins being in the top 1% of rating hockey prospects this is the logical way for the Habs to get the talent quickly that will enable their pursuit of a Stanley Cup contender and winner.The fans long for a team that has players capable of seizing games with their speed,talent and desire.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:57 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
You must not have watched Kovy after the first 2 months last year, he became a premier playmaker. He went from being more selfish than OV8 to showing more hockey IQ than Parise.

I hope we don't end up being in a position where we can draft Drouin (as much as I love his game), while a guy like Barkov is available. A duo of him and Galchenyuk at center for the next 15 years would make our wing prospects infinitely better, and we would become contenders within 5 years.
I get the feeling Lindholm is a better centre than Barkov. Barkov seems like a sure thing while Lindholm has a higher ceiling.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Et le But

I really like both Barkov and Lindholm but the more I think about it, the more I think Lindholm is a little bit better of a fit for Montreal even if Barkov is a Habs fan.

I mean Barkov is a better defensive player already and is a physical specimen, he'd definitely solve the question of having size down the middle, but Lindholm has more speed and is naturally more assertive. And while both can play physical, Lindholm is willing to get his hands dirty whole Barkov, despite being a tank, is more the type to let the physical play come to him. A Galchenyuk-Lindholm spine gives the Habs an offensive identity to build around.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:31 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
I really like both Barkov and Lindholm but the more I think about it, the more I think Lindholm is a little bit better of a fit for Montreal even if Barkov is a Habs fan.

I mean Barkov is a better defensive player already and is a physical specimen, he'd definitely solve the question of having size down the middle, but Lindholm has more speed and is naturally more assertive. And while both can play physical, Lindholm is willing to get his hands dirty whole Barkov, despite being a tank, is more the type to let the physical play come to him. A Galchenyuk-Lindholm spine gives the Habs an offensive identity to build around.
Complex question:

Which of the two is the better complement to Galchenyuk, or, which of the two would Galchenyuk better complement?

I know that we're supposed to ignore need and go BPA, but might as well.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:10 AM
giovannicanella

Quote:

Hey man, interesting perspective...do you mind telling me where you read that Barkov was/is a Habs fan?

Lindholm Chucky Colberg

FTW

Old
01-22-2013, 04:37 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
As the Habs are built down through center there isn't a pressing need for more depth at center.There is a need for elite wingers or a special defenceman like Seth Jones however.MacKinnon & Drouin could be wise choices if the Habs don't pick #1,if by chance Bergevin procures a top 15 1st round pick besides their own,it opens other options.Nicushkin,Domi,Mantha,Wennberg are forwards and the defencemen could be Nurse,Zadorov,Ristolainen and Fucale at the goalie spot.Shinkaruk is another winger with elite talent and skating.This draft is made for teams rebuilding like the Habs and BlueJackets,both which retain 4 picks in the top 60.Players that are ranked in the top 20 are very safe bets to have long careers in the NHL.After those 20 picks the players will need time in the AHL1-3 yrs.before they join their NHL teams and defencemen usually 4-5 yrs.At the draft if the Habs have the 1st & 8th pick Jones and Nurse or Zadorov could be great choices.Giving the Habs a great 1st pairing,with all of the depth on defence their possibilities for trading some defence prospects for more draft choices as they come up.The players i've listed above could very well be Habs with the use of those defence prospects they deem surplus,then with the three 2nd round picks the Habs could make another leap forwards.Two drafts like that cuts their rebuilding time in half,with very good to elite talent again for the future 2015/16 could see the Habs vying for a playoff position similar to the Florida Panthers and Dale Tallon did in three years and Chicago with Tallon and Bergevin before them.Go Marc Go!The Habs may trade Subban at the draft to gain position and acquire Drouin and another high 2nd round pick who knows?Bergevin,Dudley and Timmins most likely.

Last edited by S Bah: 01-22-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 05:36 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Jones-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Emelin-Tinordi
Ellis, Diaz

I don't think it's inherently lateral. Say we trade PK for a 1st rounder this year(possibly something else). Trading PK should almost guarantee us a top 5 pick. Depending on who's 1st rounder we get that's possibly another blue chipper.

It's a risk and there's definitely a lot of caveats and ifs with this but I'm confident in our D prospects that we MIGHT get along without PK long term. Beaulieu can be a #1 dman if paired with the right guy. Add Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Nygren, Dietz and I'm sure you could cobble together a very solid top 6 out of this group.

If trading PK can get us 2 blue chip forward prospects in the draft, I think we should seriously consider it.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:38 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

And just to add, i think Jones is awesome but I really think we should go for forward picks. BPA be damned!

Old
01-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post

For most of his career Kovalchuk has been a guy who would try and beat guys one on 1 instead of using linemates.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Hey man, interesting perspective...do you mind telling me where you read that Barkov was/is a Habs fan?
There's a pic of him with a Habs tuque.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I don't think it's inherently lateral. Say we trade PK for a 1st rounder this year(possibly something else). Trading PK should almost guarantee us a top 5 pick. Depending on who's 1st rounder we get that's possibly another blue chipper.

It's a risk and there's definitely a lot of caveats and ifs with this but I'm confident in our D prospects that we MIGHT get along without PK long term. Beaulieu can be a #1 dman if paired with the right guy. Add Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Nygren, Dietz and I'm sure you could cobble together a very solid top 6 out of this group.

If trading PK can get us 2 blue chip forward prospects in the draft, I think we should seriously consider it.
Any plan that starts with trading PK is a bad one IMHO.

D-men take 5-6 years to develop after they are drafted, I don't want to dump PK just to spend 3-4 years trying to develop somebody similar.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Lebowski

2 years ago, people were drawing comparison from Mackinnon to Crosby.

Last year, Mackinnon was the clear cut N.1, but far and away from a Crosby type talent.

After the beginning of the season, Mackinnon was seen as either the #1 or the #2 prospect.

Following the WJC, Jones has been seen by most as the clear #1 going into the draft. Also, there's more and more talk about Drouin possibly being a better prospect than Mackinnon. Lindholm has also gained points since the WJC, and Barkov stayed pretty much the same (which could be interpreted as losing ground on other prospects since Jones, Drouin and Lindholm are risers).

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a real possibility to see Mackinnon go 3rd overall. In the end, what was seen as the best prospect in years is going to end up as a Taylor Hall type prospect, and even compared to Hall, he lacks the hardware the latter had to really solidify himself as the top prospect.

I'm I the only one seeing in Mackinnon a player that might hit his plateau relatively early? I don't think he has the natural skills a la Drouin, nor the imposing physique of Jones. I could see him ending up a legit first liner, probably in the 35-35 ballpark.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
le_sean

MacKinnon will go ahead of Drouin no matter what. Drouin is fun to watch, but he's all flash. MacKinnon is still the better overall player. Heck I'd still take him over Jones. I think people forget that Jones is almost a full year older than MacKinnon.

Closed Thread