HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JvR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 02:07 AM
  #101
edruga
 
edruga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,479
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
Don't expect intensity from JVR, we never really saw it. When he has it, though, the guy is just... lightning in a bottle. You could call him almost Gaborik-lite when he is on. Not as fast nor is his shot as good, but his offensive instincts and overall offensive ability are up there. If/when he catches a d-man flat footed, he just absolutely blows by them, his top speed is fantastic, but, as I said, not quite at the level of a player like Gabby.

As many other Flyers fans have said, you'll see flashes where it looks like it's finally coming together, then he has an off game and it all falls apart. I think it might really be a confidence and effort thing for him... he's so talented, that playing college hockey really probably taught him how to be lazy and get by on his skill without working hard for it. If he had gone to Juniors or straight into the AHL, it would have helped his development a ton.

But as far as his future goes, I think his ceiling is up there in the 30g-40a power forward, but I really, really doubt he ever gets close to that.

I was shiftfaced for Saturdays game, and couldn't see Sundays because I was checking out a wedding venue... so I will have to hold my opinion on Schenn until I can watch him play a few games.
Thanks for this post.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 AM
  #102
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,688
vCash: 500
JvR has been quite underwhelming the first two games of the season.

I know it's a small sample size of games, but he's been almost anonymous on the ice at times. Didn't think he was good in the Sabres game at all. When Mike Brown, who played considerably less minutes than him, stands out a lot more than him, I'd say his performance wasn't good.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:26 AM
  #103
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Because it's only two games.
If Jvr was absolutely spectacular those first two games, would you be excited?
We all know... The answer is 'yes'.

So being tha he's been utterly invisible for two games, using the PRECISE same logic, leaf fan realists are worried.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
  #104
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,631
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
If Jvr was absolutely spectacular those first two games, would you be excited?
We all know... The answer is 'yes'.

So being tha he's been utterly invisible for two games, using the PRECISE same logic, leaf fan realists are worried.
Yes, realists use 2 games to determine a players worth. Good thing real hockey people make their decisions based off of more than just a few games.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  #105
jimmycarter
Registered User
 
jimmycarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
lupul came out flying his first few games and made himself noticeable. he had longer and harder injury to get back from.

SCHENN HAS ALREADY PUT MORE PUCKS IN THE NET THAN JVR! JVR needs to step it up.


Last edited by jimmycarter: 01-22-2013 at 06:36 AM.
jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:30 AM
  #106
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,982
vCash: 274
More involved this game. I am willing to wait to evaluate after 5 games. Give his foot time to heal and get used to line mates..

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
  #107
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Yes, realists use 2 games to determine a players worth. Good thing real hockey people make their decisions based off of more than just a few games.
We just said we're "worried". We have no determined his worth.

Just like, if jvr was spectacular the firs two games, we would be "excited".

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
  #108
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
If he had pulled off that move on Sulzer, people would be excited.

JVR's line had some decent pressure/chances but Miller and the Sabres D was solid

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
  #109
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,612
vCash: 500
Gotta be patient when he moves to a new team, when its around 10-15 games, we should actually re-evaluate.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
  #110
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,395
vCash: 500
He showed more speed than I suspected he had. At one point last night he blew by 2 Sabres on the forecheck while looking behind him and without taking any deep strides.

I'm pretty unimpressed so far overall though. Hopefully he can pick it up. It shouldn't be that hard if Kadri keeps playing the way he has so far.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
  #111
Stephen23
Registered User
 
Stephen23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
I love the fact that he is really skilled and goes in front of the net and is able to plant himself there with his strength. We need a young developing power forward like him. I am not worries at all and i'm actually quite excited for the potential of JVR. Give him some time, it's a new team, new system with no real training camp in which he was injured for a portion of it (missed the exhibition game). I think JVR, is going to be a big and important piece for this team for years to come.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
  #112
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
If Jvr was absolutely spectacular those first two games, would you be excited?
We all know... The answer is 'yes'.

So being tha he's been utterly invisible for two games, using the PRECISE same logic, leaf fan realists are worried.
LOL.

If he was great, I would be excited, yes.

He wasn't, so I am admittedly disappointed. But not worried.

Worried and disappointed aren't the same thing. Nice try though, Mr. Realist.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:34 AM
  #113
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
We just said we're "worried". We have no determined his worth.

Just like, if jvr was spectacular the firs two games, we would be "excited".

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.
The only facts you could be in possession of are JVR's stats over the "comprehensive" sampling of two games.

Miller played as Miller typically does against the club. That's also a fact. As it pertains to JVR who had a scoring chance or two, the difference was a truly elite NHL goaltender.

When you're a "realist" representing things as they "really are" is supposed to apply in every instance where possible.

As a "realist" you're ignoring the reasonable metric by which hockey professionals inform their apprehension one way or another. Two games in which a player has to be removed for one reason or benched for another would be cause for concern. Two games into a season in which a few chances haven' materialized isn't cause for concern for the educated hockey fan. Were that the case, all players in the league who haven't scored in their first two games would allow same cause for concern, and Daniel Winnik would be regarded -- "realistically" -- as the best goal scorer in the league, ebb and flow and streaks aside.

Somewhere, the "Reallist's" analytics should leave room for reason informed by experience. And yet somehow, I come away with a sense that your kind of "realism" is HAL 9000's "realism". Not a shred of doubt, but distorted none the less.

Especially in the need to constantly define your perception/opinion as the realistic option

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
  #114
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,631
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
We just said we're "worried". We have no determined his worth.

Just like, if jvr was spectacular the firs two games, we would be "excited".

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.

Who is the "we" you are speaking for? What facts are you using to determine JVR's play is cause for worry?

LOL realist.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:49 AM
  #115
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law
 
Saul Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
it's 2 games into a shortened season where most players are currently not in game shape. add that to the fact he's learning a new system, coach and team. all this with no real training camp or exhibition games. it's pretty safe to say there's going to be an adjustment period.

if he sticks on a line with kadri it's only a matter of time before he starts putting up points. i'll wait another couple weeks before i start to get worried about anything.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:15 AM
  #116
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
We have had samples, he played 9 hrs away from here last season. He is playing the JVR way, he is performing exactly the same he did prior to the trade. This is why Schenn and Him were traded in the first place.

Sit back relax and enjoy the show, you got what you paid for and you paid with something similar but different.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
  #117
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
lupul came out flying his first few games and made himself noticeable. he had longer and harder injury to get back from.
Did you know that JVR and Lupul are 2 different human beings?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  #118
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Did you know that JVR and Lupul are 2 different human beings?
They are both athletes though and good athletes compete, grabo competes routinely with the odd off game. JVR has had drive problems for years now. So yea I get what you are saying but do you get what I am saying? Someone has to break this one and light a fire under his ass.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
  #119
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie28 View Post
the guy is a power forward, which take longer to develop, and is only a year older than kadri while already in his past has shown offensive ability. I'm not worried, he hasn't played in 9 months. let him find his groove then evaluate
Three examples come to mind of such guys who were traded too soon (and support your point):

Neely

Bertuzzi

Leclair

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  #120
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Three examples come to mind of such guys who were traded too soon (and support your point):

Neely

Bertuzzi

Leclair
That's fair to say

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
  #121
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan
 
Pheasant the peasant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
We just said we're "worried". We have no determined his worth.

Just like, if jvr was spectacular the firs two games, we would be "excited".

You see... When you're a realist, you allow the FACTS to determine your position.
I love trying to imagine what a conversation like this would look like in real life, outside of the internet. Imagine just two people sitting on a couch after watching the game.

Person 1: I am worried about JVR.

Person 2: I am not worried.

Person 1: You don't look at the facts! I am a realist! You should change your opinion to be the same as mine! I never said anything about his overall worth. If he were playing incredible you would obviously be excited. Therefore, since human emotion is just like math, you have no choice other than to admit to being worried. If you were just a realist who looked at the FACTS! Are oh ehf elle! RAGEeee!

Person 2: *stunned silence*

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
  #122
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
He played 13 minutes last night, 13 minutes in Montreal. 26 minutes as a Maple Leaf total. Call me crazy, but maybe a larger sample size would serve us well in our evaluations of a 23 year old, former 2nd overall pick.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
  #123
Al14
Registered User
 
Al14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nepean
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,575
vCash: 500
JVR is a bust so far. Philly traded him for a reason!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:22 AM
  #124
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
I love trying to imagine what a conversation like this would look like in real life, outside of the internet. Imagine just two people sitting on a couch after watching the game.

Person 1: I am worried about JVR.

Person 2: I am not worried.

Person 1: You don't look at the facts! I am a realist! You should change your opinion to be the same as mine! I never said anything about his overall worth. If he were playing incredible you would obviously be excited. Therefore, since human emotion is just like math, you have no choice other than to admit to being worried. If you were just a realist who looked at the FACTS! Are oh ehf elle! RAGEeee!

Person 2: *stunned silence*
No friends

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
  #125
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
He played 13 minutes last night, 13 minutes in Montreal. 26 minutes as a Maple Leaf total. Call me crazy, but maybe a larger sample size would serve us well in our evaluations of a 23 year old, former 2nd overall pick.
I would like to see him with grabs for a bit.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.