Notices

Stupid shootouts! Jets battle to earn a point in Beantown 2-1 SO Loss

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
I thought Enstrom was pretty decent in this game.

He defused a lot of really dangerous looking plays and did it routinely which is what I appreciate.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Meh no one is perfect...
In the end Enstrom ends up with better results both offensively and defensively than the rest of our defense...
Even in a fairly weak game by his standards. But he is way overrated!

Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I thought Enstrom was pretty decent in this game.

He defused a lot of really dangerous looking plays and did it routinely which is what I appreciate.
Yup, and that stuff wont show up in the highlights.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:24 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Even in a fairly weak game by his standards. But he is way overrated!
Mhmm!
Did you look at the stats breakdown I did? Enstrom even did great this game... Ya sure he made mistakes but he still did his job effectively.
It's amazing how Buff got outchanced and Enstrom didn't just by their small amount of time apart...
Enstrom is what makes Buff an effective player... without Enstrom Buff becomes the liability that the critics and cynics often exaggerate that he is.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Great, now take a screen shot of when toby is commiting instead of when he is already commited and check if my comment is as mind boggling.
That's the first second of highlights. He shouldn't have been committing just because Ant was side by side the guy in Boston's end.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
That's the first second of highlights. He shouldn't have been committing just because Ant was side by side the guy in Boston's end.
I'm not claiming he played it perfectly, I'm saying it wasn't a terrible play to commit to the carrier when, atm, it was a 2 on 2.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Mhmm!
Did you look at the stats breakdown I did? Enstrom even did great this game... Ya sure he made mistakes but he still did his job effectively.
It's amazing how Buff got outchanced and Enstrom didn't just by their small amount of time apart...
Enstrom is what makes Buff an effective player... without Enstrom Buff becomes the liability that the critics and cynics often exaggerate that he is.
I'll look at it later. Right now, I'm busy swearing over buses and trains being ridiculously late in -20 degrees. But hey, who needs toes, right?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
I'll look at it later. Right now, I'm busy swearing over buses and trains being ridiculously late in -20 degrees. But hey, who needs toes, right?
Pfft, quit co planning about spring weather
It's -33 in WPG right now. -37 with the windchill

Old
01-22-2013, 07:14 AM
puck stoppa

Pavelec's problem isnt that he stays too deep in the shootout. He does come out of his crease, but the problem is he backs in too soon. He needs to be more patient and wait for the shooter to come and then rely on his backwards skating to back up last second. Guys who change speeds really screw him up cause he backs in so early. I sure hope Flaherty can teach him to be patient. (Cause if you notice, he plays breakaways well, cause guys are coming in full speed and not changing speed and he plays them well)

Old
01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Pavelec's problem isnt that he stays too deep in the shootout. He does come out of his crease, but the problem is he backs in too soon. He needs to be more patient and wait for the shooter to come and then rely on his backwards skating to back up last second. Guys who change speeds really screw him up cause he backs in so early. I sure hope Flaherty can teach him to be patient. (Cause if you notice, he plays breakaways well, cause guys are coming in full speed and not changing speed and he plays them well)
Hmm... I remember him struggling against breakaways too.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Well, I stuck to my guns and didn't listen to any hockey radio or visit any hockey-related websites from noon yesterday until I watched the game in the evening. And boy did it suck. I was impressed and happy with our team last night. Our effort was there, focus there, we showed up to play and we knew we had to or we'd be run out of the building. All in all I will consider that a real solid rebound game from what we watched Saturday.

Still some kinks, obviously, but I think we'll get there. Our depth is really impressing me. It's not showing up on the scoreboard just right yet, but you can just see and feel our forward depth right from the top line to a guy like Thorburn. I don't see or feel a weak link in our forward crop, even if some guys haven't got on the scoresheet yet.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler MUST get going, ASAP. Noel did the same thing last season at points when they were struggling, play them more so they can get out of it, and he said the same thing too. I certainly agree you must play and reward your best players, that is where accountability comes in. I trust Ladd, Little and Wheeler will wake up and win us Hockey games, but they have to do it quickly because we can't have 10 game goal droughts from them or 18 games before one or two get going. Last year Wheeler and Little got off real bad starts, we cannot have that this go around and if that's what they're going to do then they must take a backseat to players who look better than them.

I trust these guys will get going, hopefully tonight vs. Washington. I think they'll have to. I do not expect Ladd, Little and Wheeler to win us games each night, but I do expect them to win us a game once in every 2-3. And I expect other guys to win us games in between that. We don't have one line or one player who can carry the mail offensively for this team consistently game in, game out, so it's going to have to be a group effort and these guys are simply going to have to step up and get it done - no excuses.

Couple points,

- I liked Kane last night. As did Jokinen. Both had to good opportunities and was involved.

- I had a hunch yesterday Wellwood wouldn't do much against a physical Boston team, and he really didn't. He has his on and off games, but, that's what he is, a versatile guy you can move up and down the lineup.

- Burmistrov is looking so, so strong! He has so many tools and talents and is still so young. This kid could be a player if/when he figures it out and puts it all together. I am going to be careful in how confident I get in Alex though as he got off to a tremendous start last season to. So much so to the point where Noel said of all our forward, Burmi was the least of Noel's worries. Then it all came to a halt. Burmistrov is exciting and looking great though, and I think it's going to help him in tremendous ways that he's got guys like Antropov and Ponikarovsky to play with.

- I thought Scheifele looked quite good in the minutes he played. Again reassuring me and what I said yesterday in that I think he's ready to learn at the next level here and has topped out in the OHL. Time will tell though. I want to see him get a more prime role.

- Team wise, we're a big team, but i'd like to see us be more physical on the body, initiate more. Boston threw a few good hits at us, and we had our shots too, but I'd like to see us be more of the aggressor. I'd like to see us instead of just playing the puck, attack the body, take the man out and not just the puck. But, I have to remind myself even though we've got good height/weight, we've got a bunch of guys who aren't exactly overly physical.

I am excited for tonight! Hope we do well.

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-22-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
- Burmistrov is looking so, so strong! He has so many tools and talents and is still so young. This kid could be a player if/when he figures it out and puts it all together. I am going to be careful in how confident I get in Alex though as he got off to a tremendous start last season to. So much so to the point where Noel said of all our forward, Burmi was the least of Noel's worries. Then it all came to a halt. Burmistrov is exciting is looking great though, and I think it's going to help him in tremendous ways that he's got guys like Antropov and Ponikarovsky to play with.

no kidding! i like this years Burmi a lot more haha

Old
01-22-2013, 10:13 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

The difference between last years Burmi and this years Burmi is that last year they got off to a hot start with Welly and Antro but it was just that a hot start and then reality set in. what I see so far this year is different he seems much more physically imposing. Really fast yesterday, more north south, much quicker decision making with the puck on his stick and did more at speed. when he did pull up it seemed to be with intent and head up vs last year where it was head down dangle until you loose it.

Small sample size to date but last year he flashed early but was really inconsistent. This year he looks so much more comfortable and assertive. His body and mind seem to be developing together and,I really think they should leave him on the 3rd line as his base camp for a while because they have chemistry and they will start getting points. I really think it is a good place for him to take a big step forward in his development and we can use the balance.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Besdies Buff, Burmi has been one of the strongest Jets so far.

The worst Jet has been Ladd IMO.

And he wears the 'C'.

Ugh.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
SCP Guy

I would love to see Toby and Buff split up.....Until Bogo comes back

Buff & Stu
Toby & Hain

One offensive guy with a stay at home guy......

Old
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post

Buff & Stu
Toby & Hain

No, because Stu sucks and he can't play 30 minutes a night.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

No way Stuart can play on the first line

Old
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Yeah, Stu can "stay at home all right".

I would have an aneurysm if we had to play Stu for 30 minutes. It's nearly killing me to play him as much as we already are.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post

Buff & Stu
Toby & Hain

Would be nice if it worked that way but it doesn't....

Buff doesn't do well with Stu... and Toby doesn't do well with Hainsey...

2011-12 Byfuglien with:
PartnerTOI CF% GF% +/-
Enstrom 724 0.558 0.522 +3
Oduya 210 0.524 0.571 +2
Stuart 159 0.489 0.211 -11

2011-12 Enstrom with:
PartnerTOI CF% GF% +/-
Byfuglien 724 0.558 0.522 +3
Hainsey 240 0.527 0.429 -3
Bogosian 097 0.492 0.435 -3

They are way better together than apart. It's pretty much the same results when you look at 2010-11...
In fact we even have an example from the BOS game. Noel did split them up like that a few times.
Buff ended up getting outchanced over the game and Enstrom wasn't, even though they were split for a very small part of the game.
CF% is best determiner for sustained success.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
We'll turn the page here and move on to todays GDT!

Closed Thread