HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is everybody breaking their ankles...

View Poll Results: Do you find it sad that everybody is jumping off the bandwagon?
Yes, pretty ridiculous 20 57.14%
No, I could care less about the team 2 5.71%
No, we have no chance at playoffs our team sucks 13 37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Is everybody breaking their ankles...

jumping off the bandwagon already?

I find it a pretty sad endictment on the fanbase that they are all ready to jump off the bandwagon after what basically is the first of 5 EXHIBITION games for a new team and new coaching staff...and everybody wants to trade the whole team and try and pick 1st overall.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
You seem to be the blindest optimist on this board but even you can't think this is a great team. Cheering and hoping for the best is one thing (which is what I am doing) but turning a blind eye to the glaring problems this team has is another.

Just because I don't think the team is good doesn't mean I don't care.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You seem to be the blindest optimist on this board but even you can't think this is a great team. Cheering and hoping for the best is one thing (which is what I am doing) but turning a blind eye to the glaring problems this team has is another.
Yes I am an optimist. But even a pessimist should wait a couple weeks to see what we have before "jumping off the bandwagon".

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we are getting back some good players from injury...Markov Gionta Moen

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we have a lot of good NHL players that had crappy years last year...Kaberle Bourque

Even a pessimist should see that we have young guys that COULd take the "next step" this year in Price, Subban(if/when he signs), Diaz, Eller, Emelin

Old
01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I was disappointed with the Therrien hire. Didn't see a lot of clear indication the team should be better (aside from the usual guys being healthy now and it somehow being taken for granted that we couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year). Liked the Prust signing, but what else was there?

I thought and still think the playoffs are an outside possibility. One lousy first game against a weak opponent hasn't changed anything at all. Lack of our #1 defenseman in the lineup doesn't seem likely to repair the "couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year" wish, though. Did anybody actually think the Habs would win a lot this year or something? I failed to notice that optimism.

Didn't see a poll category that fits my perspective.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yes I am an optimist. But even a pessimist should wait a couple weeks to see what we have before "jumping off the bandwagon".

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we are getting back some good players from injury...Markov Gionta Moen

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we have a lot of good NHL players that had crappy years last year...Kaberle Bourque

Even a pessimist should see that we have young guys that COULd take the "next step" this year in Price, Subban(if/when he signs), Diaz, Eller, Emelin
I'm not an optimist or a pessimist. I would classify myself as hopeful.

Listen, I want the Habs to win just as much as the next fan and never in a million years would I endorse "tanking". But let's be real here...you can't look at this roster and say that looks like a great team. A lot would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs and maybe it does happens, but I wouldn't put $$$ down on it.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
gusfring

Jumping off would assume being on in the first place. I'm not an optimist or a pessimist.

It is my opinion, based on the my experience, that this is just not a very good team.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I was disappointed with the Therrien hire. Didn't see a lot of clear indication the team should be better (aside from the usual guys being healthy now and it somehow being taken for granted that we couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year). Liked the Prust signing, but what else was there?

I thought and still think the playoffs are an outside possibility. One lousy first game against a weak opponent hasn't changed anything at all. Lack of our #1 defenseman in the lineup doesn't seem likely to repair the "couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year" wish, though. Did anybody actually think the Habs would win a lot this year or something? I failed to notice that optimism.

I for one dont care about this season and would rather a crappy year like last. If we had finished top 10 in the league last year we wouldnt be worried about this season.
We do have to realize we finished where we finished for a reason.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
gusfring

Quote:

Every team can say the same things about guys on their roster.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:39 AM
izzy75

Quote:
I find it a pretty sad...
What you call sad, some call realistic. If realism is sad, so be it.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Uber Coca

If you're ready to get off the bandwagon after one loss, I sure hope you break both ankles.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
What you call sad, some call realistic. If realism is sad, so be it.
Being realistic is subjective. Who are you to say his realism is wrong right now?

Personally i think this team will finish 13-15th. Too many teams improved. However, i commend the OP for keeping the faith. Who knows, he could be right

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I find it a pretty sad endictment on the fanbase that they are all ready to jump off the bandwagon after what basically is the first of 5 EXHIBITION games for a new team and new coaching staff...and everybody wants to trade the whole team and try and pick 1st overall.
What is more worrisome is continual denial in the face of evidence. Or several years of fans trying to convince other fans, for some unexplained reason, that this team is better than it is.

Your poll should have read:

When the Habs don't make the playoffs what reason will be most cited by the fans:

1) The coach is no good.
2) Injuries killed us
3) 48 games is a small number (the sample size argument)

That will be the sad poll.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

what he said...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
What is more worrisome is continual denial in the face of evidence. Or several years of fans trying to convince other fans, for some unexplained reason, that this team is better than it is.

Your poll should have read:

When the Habs don't make the playoffs what reason will be most cited by the fans:

1) The coach is no good.
2) Injuries killed us
3) 48 games is a small number (the sample size argument)

That will be the sad poll.
In all fairness, the only recent failures were last season and 08-09. Especially the last two playoff runs, the habs did some damage.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
As I've said season after season; I don't jump on and off the bandwaggon. I drive the bandwaggon.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I'm pretty sure we will make the playoffs.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:01 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Jumping off would assume being on in the first place. I'm not an optimist or a pessimist.

It is my opinion, based on the my experience, that this is just not a very good team.
NHL Gm ? Coach ? Juniors ? Experience as an armchair Gm ?

I have experience, and this team is pretty darn good on paper ( including PK ).

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:03 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I still think this team can make the playoffs, but Subban needs to get signed ASAP or this team is ****ed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
ClasslessGuy

Do I think we have a great team? No. Bubble team? Yes.

Do I want and think the team will make the playoff. Of course.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
zeeto

Quote:

It was happening before the season was even supposed to start, pre-lockout...

zeeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'm not an optimist or a pessimist. I would classify myself as hopeful.

Listen, I want the Habs to win just as much as the next fan and never in a million years would I endorse "tanking". But let's be real here...you can't look at this roster and say that looks like a great team. A lot would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs and maybe it does happens, but I wouldn't put $$$ down on it.
I'm not saying it's great, but it can be good...and you have to be good before you can be great. Unlike what some on here believe you have to be good before you can be great.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Not sure where I fit in in your poll.

Never felt this team had anything but a ''if everything goes absolutely unbelievably right'' chance at being a playoff team in a shortened season with how many teams in the East have improved, yet will still watch every game. So I don't know if I am on or off your imaginary bandwagon.

This is what rebuilding looks like before the next wave of kids (assuming both Gally's are sent down) is ready.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
coolasprICE

you are absolutely right Carey Price, too many people think we will suck and finish dead last this year.

I believe we have a very good chance of being mediocre.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:37 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
NHL Gm ? Coach ? Juniors ? Experience as an armchair Gm ?

I have experience, and this team is pretty darn good on paper ( including PK ).
Experience of watching hockey for 30 years.

Our opinion's differ. I remember being challenged on this last year after I made the assessment on the roster.

Hopefully, I am wrong. Would love to be.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Bacchus1

Who cares what people think. If people want to jump off the bandwagon, let them! I'm a Habs fan, and I just like watching how the team does, and as someone wrote, this is pretty much exhibition hockey. Lets start making plans for the draft after at least game 15. Then we should have a clearer picture of where this team is headed. And, if we do suck, I really don't care, because this isn't a real season, and we might still end up with a decent draft pick.

Go Habs, go!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote