HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 08:24 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Let the team develop. Cole could easily be the player that we are looking for. We could get a better idea of him in 20 or so games. If he is playing well then, then there is no reason to make a move. There really isn't a spot on the team that I would currently make a move. Depth at every position, and we sustain that in the future by continuing to develop our prospects, not trade them away.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
This is basically it.

If we want to be Cup contenders then we either need an elite offensive center or have depth. I prefer the depth option, but it also relies on players taking discounts to be on a perennial contender.

Even at this point, we are really going to struggle to keep everyone in the summer. It is going to be a choice of signing Stewart and letting McDonald head to UFA or keep McDonald and (hopefully) get a nice return for Stewart. I'd go with the latter, once McDonald is finished we'll have Rattie/Jaškin to step into that role.

I'd also love to see Petro, Shattenkirk and Berglund all sign 8 year deals, at the right price, in the summer. I know not everyone agrees with that though.

I do

Old
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk can sign 8 year deals. Shattenkirk if the price is right, but Pietrangelo for sure. I don't think we should lock up Berglund that long, unless it is super cheap, and I also think he won't be looking for a deal that long. Berglund will want time to get another contract that can get him more money, so I'm expecting around a 4 year deal for him. Shattenkirk will probably be in the 5-6 year range.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I don't understand why Berglund would want an 8 year deal unless he gets a bunch of money that we wouldn't give him at this point.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Alklha

I don't disagree, I suspect that Petro will be the only one to be offered 8 years. I don't think there are any issues in offering it to Shattenkirk, but it is unlikely to interest Berglund because he'd be 33 at the end of it.

Even if they don't take the 8 years, I'd hope that we'd at least put it out there for them. The more proven key players that we can lock up on good contracts through their prime the better when it come to keeping costs down.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Vladys Gumption

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
After the season, you wouldn't trade Stewart, Cole and a !st (or Jaskin) for Yakupov? That dude is going to be better than Tarasenko.

I know I would. Plus, Tarasenko might love having another Russian on the team.
No I wouldn't. Not even close. Tarasenko at his peak is going to be very close to Yakupov.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I would offer an 8 year deal to AP but not to anyone else. I wouldn't mind a 3-4 for Berglund and 4-5 for Shattenkirk but I don't see the need to lock up anyone this summer for more than 5 years.

Also, I think the ONLY person on this team who deserves an 8 year deal is AP.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Let the team develop. Cole could easily be the player that we are looking for. We could get a better idea of him in 20 or so games. If he is playing well then, then there is no reason to make a move. There really isn't a spot on the team that I would currently make a move. Depth at every position, and we sustain that in the future by continuing to develop our prospects, not trade them away.
This.

Depth is good. I don't see the Blues for now making any deals, unless injuries takes it toll on the roster.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
No I wouldn't. Not even close. Tarasenko at his peak is going to be very close to Yakupov.
Agreed. I think people are overrating Yak.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:44 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Agreed. I think people are overrating Yak.
BIG TIME overreaction. Makes me wonder how many people have even watched a game....

Old
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
BIG TIME overreaction. Makes me wonder how many people have even watched a game....
I haven't seen the Oilers play. How has Yak played?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
It's an overreaction to say someone is being overrated?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 PM
underslept

AP is the only one to offer 5+ years for a contract.

I'd be seeking 2-3 for Berglund.

Possibly 4 for Shattenkirk.

I'm not a fan of long contracts as they are rarely lived up to. Armstrong seems to get his value and term right and I trust he'll do the same this summer.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Hey, guys I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but what's going on with D'Agostini?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
AP is the only one to offer 5+ years for a contract.

I'd be seeking 2-3 for Berglund.

Possibly 4 for Shattenkirk.

I'm not a fan of long contracts as they are rarely lived up to. Armstrong seems to get his value and term right and I trust he'll do the same this summer.
The thing is that if we want to wait until every player we have completely proves himself then we are going to be paying close to market value. Yes, there are risks involved in long term contracts, but they are calculated risks with certain players. There is also a massive difference between signed until their early 30's at $3.5m-$4m to players signed at $6m+ until they are in their early 40's. In a few years, if the player isn't living up to his potential, he is young enough and the contract isn't big enough that we would still be able to move him.

Shattenkirk is a prime example here. He will either get 2-3 years or 6+; 4 would take him to UFA and if we buy UFA years it will be more than 1. Now if we signed him to a 3 year deal and he continues the play he has shown since he got into the League then he'll want the Edler contract in 3 years.

Not that the players would necessarily want to be signing 8 years deals though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Hey, guys I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but what's going on with D'Agostini?
Nothing, he just doesn't make out top 9.

Perron - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Berglund - Stewart
McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko

He just doesn't fit anywhere just now. He doesn't work on the 4th line either, which was again proven tonight. No doubt something will happen that will see him get some time at some point though.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Thanks.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:58 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
It's an overreaction to say someone is being overrated?
No, sorry i was agreeing with you about him being overrated. I have no clue why i put overreaction, i meant overrated.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:42 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I still say the Blues need to work their butt off to find a good deal for a center. Steen is just flat out not cutting it. We need to get a good playmaker/two way center to play with Perron and Stewart...Hopefully keeping most of our forwards. If Stewart or Perron have to go in the deal, they have to go.

Two-way/Shutdown Line
Perron/Steen Backes Oshie

True First Offensive Line
McDonald Legit Center Tarasenko

Solid 3rd Line
Steen/Schwartz Berglund Stewart

"A" For Effort Line
Sobotka Nichol Reaves/Langenbrunner

Old
01-23-2013, 05:24 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

The only place Steen isn't cutting it is in the faceoff dot. He's done well otherwise, IMO. Faceoffs are important, but I don't see the Blues making the sort of deal you're suggesting simply because of that.

Heck, Steen won 56% last year over 95 total faceoffs. I wouldn't expect anything near that moving forward based on his history, but he's due for some regression to mean away from the 25% he's at now. I think the obvious workaround if he doesn't is that they'll simply have McDonald take more draws.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Frustrated with David Perron.

Wonder what we would need to add to him to get Joe Pavelski.

Quote:
No, sorry i was agreeing with you about him being overrated. I have no clue why i put overreaction, i meant overrated.
Ah I see no biggie.

EDIT: Put up a proposal. Hope it's not terrible/Leaf-esque lol.

Last edited by Dolph Ziggler: 01-23-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
That's the type of player I'm wanting.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I still say the Blues need to work their butt off to find a good deal for a center. Steen is just flat out not cutting it. We need to get a good playmaker/two way center to play with Perron and Stewart...Hopefully keeping most of our forwards. If Stewart or Perron have to go in the deal, they have to go.

Two-way/Shutdown Line
Perron/Steen Backes Oshie

True First Offensive Line
McDonald Legit Center Tarasenko

Solid 3rd Line
Steen/Schwartz Berglund Stewart

"A" For Effort Line
Sobotka Nichol Reaves/Langenbrunner
Steen is centering the most productive line. I am baffled by your complaint. His faceoff win percentage has been poor, but I wish our other lines could struggle like Steen's.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Steen is centering the most productive line. I am baffled by your complaint. His faceoff win percentage has been poor, but I wish our other lines could struggle like Steen's.
Couldn't agree more. That line has been on the ice for 8 goals for and 1 against this season. Faceoffs are an issue, but he'll get up to around 45% and while it isn't perfect it is acceptable.

I understand the issues with our FO problems, we are terrible for a team that is meant to be good defensively, but I wouldn't be messing with that line yet.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
While I don't totally agree with his complaint, the line is producing mainly because of the wingers. Steen isn't the straw stirring the drink IMO.

I'd like to see Steen go back on the wing of Bashie.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I think you underrate Steen's role in their effectiveness. Anyway, a big part of the center's responsibility in Hitchcock's system is to allow the defensemen to jump into the offensive zone and cover high for them. So, the assist may go Shattenkirk-McDonald-Tarasenko, but its because of Steen's responsible intelligent play that Shatty could trigger the play.

I agree he's better as a winger, maybe that's what you're getting at. But to say he's playing poorly as the center is an unkindness to Steen. He's doing his job effectively.

Closed Thread