HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 05:16 AM
canux17

vCash: 500
Yea, I thought it was a fair deal for both teams considering how washington is already strong at center with ribiero, johanssen, and backstrom

Old
01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
palindrom

i am a bit confuse, can someone explain to me what is the purpose of the *ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) thread?

Old
01-22-2013, 05:34 AM
biturbo19

As a Canucks fan that doesn't even look fair at all for Washington

...i'd much rather try for something like...

Luongo for Marcus Johansson...straight up.

Or if Washington needs more or needs to balance the salary better...

VAN:
-Luongo: brings steady goaltending now, and a mentor for Holtby.
-Raymond: roughly replaces what Johansson brings right now...speedy winger with inconsistent production and good defensive responsibility. expiring contract if they don't want to keep him. Gives future cap-flexibility if/when it becomes an issue with the cap going down next year.

WAS:
-Johansson: provides a Center while Kesler is out, with the possibility of moving to the wing when he comes back. fills the same sort of role as Raymond, but with added youth and versatility.
-Neuvirth: sends some longer term salary back to VAN, but also provides Canucks with a backup goaltender.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:39 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canux17 View Post
Yea, I thought it was a fair deal for both teams considering how washington is already strong at center with ribiero, johanssen, and backstrom
There's a reason GMGM went out and got Ribeiro and that Johansson is playing wing. No one is going to overpay for Louongo, or well, at least I hope it isn't the Caps if it happens.
The Caps biggest needs is, IMO, a winger to play with Ovechkin and a LD to play with Green. I would trade Johansson if the right deal came along, although it would be a little depending whether or not Ribeiro is re-signed.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:42 AM
MalcontentCapsFan

Why do the Caps want Lou and his contract? Its not like they have a playoff roster and need only a starting Goalie to win them a Cup, the Caps are missing a bunch of pieces so why give up anything to acquire Lou?

Old
01-22-2013, 06:55 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

No. If we trade or sign a goalie (which probably has 0.00001% probability), it's the one who is way better or on a way better contract then Lou.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:00 AM
RECsGuy*

Don't rule out the Islanders.

Poulin and Nilsson are doing nothing of note in the A.

Nabokov is only signed through season's end.

And they're going to need more star power in time for their move to Brooklyn.

Plus, I think his wife would like NYC just fine.

They're my Eastern dark horse.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Denning

It's not that the value isn't there, but i think the Caps will give the chance to both Holtby and Neuvirth to establish themself as a number one in the league before going after another goalie. If they were to fail, i could see Washington trading for a goaltender, but that would probably be next year or even the year after.

Imagine that the Caps trade for Luongo and Holtby developes very well in the next year (becomes a good #1). Washington would basically be in the same spot as Vancouver is right now with no room on the team for both Holtby [Schneider] and Luongo.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Donmega

So happy the proposed bozak/kadri didn't go through for lou. They have been tearing it up for the last 2 games and kadri finally looks like a stud. I bet if we traded kadri to van he would play even better because he would want to show how big of a mistake TO made.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
While I realize this doesn't make that much sense for Washington fans, our GM said he has a potential deal in place with a team that hasn't been talked about, and is just waiting on a player before it happens.

So Washington is being thrown around as the potential mystery team by Canucks fans.

Anything to it? Maybe, maybe not...

Old
01-22-2013, 07:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It's not GMGM's style (unless the organization is having a change of heart on some issues that they haven't publicized yet), but for the sake of argument and entertainment, I'll bite.

Is there a sense that the Canucks are willing to keep a portion of Luongo's $$ in a deal? If so, any indications how much? Regardless of whether there's a deal to be made here in terms of pieces, I can't see the Caps even having any interest in Luongo at full price.

The biggest thing in favor of the Caps being a potential destination is the fact that nobody's talked about them in the Luongo frenzy, I guess. That particular aspect is GMGM's MO, even if I don't see the fit realistically.

Last edited by brs03: 01-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
discobob

Luongo isn't going to get the value you guys are pushing for because of the contract....especially under the new CBA....Caps didn't engage in the back diving contracts for a reason....

Only way it would work for the Caps is if you guys keep some of the contract value (not totally sure how much is allowed)...

Old
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Certainly better than dealing with Toronto. I say that with all the respect to the Leafs, but I don't see who we would have to wait on and there's nothing enticing after watching them play against the Sabres. No one really stood out enough for me to jump up for joy.

Hard to say about Gardiner coming off a mild concussion as well.

Again that's not a shot to Leafs fans or the Leafs teams. I just don't see anyone who would be able to fit in and go with the direction that this team is heading.

Also, he could be spewing out his ass. Don't know what to buy into any more. I'm tired of this fiasco and just want it to be over and done with.

You know its funny, I was one of the "moderates" regarding the supposed Lu to TO deal, I was for Bozak and Kadri, but not for Gardiner+.

After seeing how Bozak and Kadri have played (I know its a small sample) I am so glad this deal never happened.

Toronto is playing some exciting hockey, and even though we still do need a #1 proven goalie, I don't want it at the expense of players of our current roster.

For the first time in years I like this team. Adding Lu would be sweet, but not at the expense required.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
gabeliscious

my gut feeling is that winnipeg is the mystery team. i think the organization has soured on pavalec and his off ice shtick. i think they have some great young pieces moving forward and have enough depth players that they could move some pieces in a trade for loungo. the team also has enough money and fan support that they can justify the contract. they also dont have any notable goaltending prospects that i know of.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
You know its funny, I was one of the "moderates" regarding the supposed Lu to TO deal, I was for Bozak and Kadri, but not for Gardiner+.

After seeing how Bozak and Kadri have played (I know its a small sample) I am so glad this deal never happened.

Toronto is playing some exciting hockey, and even though we still do need a #1 proven goalie, I don't want it at the expense of players of our current roster.

For the first time in years I like this team. Adding Lu would be sweet, but not at the expense required.
You didn't like your team two games into last season? Or even 20 games into last season? Weren't the Leafs the best team in the league at one point during the beginning of last season?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. Gillis is one of the straightest shooters in the business. If he says it publicly he means it.
Your right, he would never lie to drum up interest for a player that there is little league wide, that he has to move since it is quickly becoming a distraction around the team. No he would never lie to benefit his team. Also in the never lying category: politicians.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Your right, he would never lie to drum up interest for a player that there is little league wide, that he has to move since it is quickly becoming a distraction around the team. No he would never lie to benefit his team. Also in the never lying category: politicians.
You sure got him on that one. That's exactly what he said.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
my gut feeling is that winnipeg is the mystery team. i think the organization has soured on pavalec and his off ice shtick. i think they have some great young pieces moving forward and have enough depth players that they could move some pieces in a trade for loungo. the team also has enough money and fan support that they can justify the contract. they also dont have any notable goaltending prospects that i know of.
While I'm sure the Jets organization would love to replace Pavalec with Luongo, I have no idea how they would pull that off. I can't envision a lot of demand for Pavalec (primarily due to his contract).

Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
PierresLongStick*

Not sure why Washington does this deal.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
You didn't like your team two games into last season? Or even 20 games into last season? Weren't the Leafs the best team in the league at one point during the beginning of last season?
Quick answer is no. I did not. I hated Ron Wilson's coaching "style" which was all run and gun with no defence at all. I knew that the hot start would not last during the crunch time in the winter. Kessel and Lupul were a nice pair to watch, but watching our supposed defence was awful.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Leafs12232

Gillis: A deal is in place for Roberto Luongo. Waiting on team to clear a spot.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414190

Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 AM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
Luongo isn't going to get the value you guys are pushing for because of the contract....especially under the new CBA....Caps didn't engage in the back diving contracts for a reason....

Only way it would work for the Caps is if you guys keep some of the contract value (not totally sure how much is allowed)...
i would say Ovechkins contract is pretty terrible for what he brings to the table. He kind of like the

Dion Phaneuf of Forwards...

Came into the league Guns a Blazing, but he doesn't add any elements to his game to continue to

improve so the rest of the league catches on too his style and he has become so predictable.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
While I'm sure the Jets organization would love to replace Pavalec with Luongo, I have no idea how they would pull that off. I can't envision a lot of demand for Pavalec (primarily due to his contract).
I am not so sure Pavelec is that hard to move given his age, regadless of his contract. I am not saying they would get the farm for him, but he has always been pretty good on some pretty poor teams.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Reign Nateo

Well hopefully as a Canuck fan, Gillis is telling the truth and it's just HF that has warped his value in everyone's minds. Posters around here have been proven to know nothing about the actual value of players many, many times before.

Strange comments from Gillis anyway, usually doesn't give much. He's either trying to calm some if the goalie talk while raising interest, or he's speaking truthfully and offering up much more information than he characteristically would... Interesting.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
CJV123

ok this is dramatic.

WAS continues to make the most sense.

Closed Thread