HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 08:03 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

vCash: 500
Bourque is fine. Sure he is not the greatest third lie winger that ever lived, but he is doing his job and learning how to play in this league. Give the kid some time. Remember Marchy?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes, Caron has an upper-body injury.

Julien said post-game that Bourque has had success in the SO in the AHL. Coaches don't just pick guys willy-nilly. He also has extensive experience quarterbacking the PP.

Silly thread is silly.
oh how i long for sugar Shawn's jukin' and jivin' in the SO.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Beesfan

They signed Bourque for 2 years, and next year it will be a one-way contract. They need to give him regular mintues for 10-15 games just tio see what type of player he really is, and if he will be worth calling up in the future.

I've seen him make a few nice plays. The question is whether he grows and gets better (like Marchand) or whether he tails off and disappears (like Hamill). Time will tell.

Most importantly, we're 2-0!

Old
01-22-2013, 08:19 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

The way the Bruins are using Bourque early in the season (3rd line minutes, PP, shoot-out) obviously indicates that they see him as a pretty good player, not a 4A player like previous organizations may have.

They obviously know Bourque well, and let's remember that he was a 2nd round pick (33rd overall) and had a solid freshman year at BU before leaving early, probably too early. He likely did himself a diservice by leaving college early for the pros, but that is the situation he put himself in. Either way, he was forced to develop at the AHL level instead of the college level while he was still a young player. This may have caused some teams to see him as a 4A player, when he was just a young guy that was still developing.

He has put up some stellar numbers in the AHL, including 66 A and 93 P in 73 games during the 11-12 season. He also had 48 A and 70 P in 49 games during the 09-10 season. Now these are numbers put up in the AHL, granted, but his gaudy assist numbers could be part of the reason that they like him on the PP.

His NHL numbers obviously haven't been there, but I'm not sure what kind of chance he was really given in other organizations, so I am willing to see what he has to offer. The organization clearly believes in him and is giving him every opportunity to succeed. I am willing to trust the Bs talent evaluators who have done a pretty good job in recent years of finding players who fit into this team and this system.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
oh how i long for sugar Shawn's jukin' and jivin' in the SO.
Remember once a few years back when they went something like 10 rounds and Chara scored the winner?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
....It's two games into the season............

/face_palm
^ This.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Are people really wishing to see Krejci in a shootout.. really?
That's an odd comment. Krejci's shootout percentage last year was 50 percent, the same as Seguin.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
BoyntBergie

I think this is a legit topic. No hate for the player or the coach, and not insinuating favoritism due to Ray, but it has been a bit, un-Claude, to just give him this sort of time right off the bat.

Bourque's not been particularly bad or good IMO, he's been ok. But it does seem to me that guys have had to work a bit harder under Claude in the past to get PP time at least.

I know it's something I've noticed. Again, I don't see any nefarious underpinnings, but Bourque's use has been noticeable, to me as well, and I don't think it's all that crazy to be seen as somewhat unearned given past precedent with Claude.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I think this is a legit topic. No hate for the player or the coach, and not insinuating favoritism due to Ray, but it has been a bit, un-Claude, to just give him this sort of time right off the bat.

Bourque's not been particularly bad or good IMO, he's been ok. But it does seem to me that guys have had to work a bit harder under Claude in the past to get PP time at least.

I know it's something I've noticed. Again, I don't see any nefarious underpinnings, but Bourque's use has been noticeable, to me as well, and I don't think it's all that crazy to be seen as somewhat unearned given past precedent with Claude.
With the lockout, Julien and his staff (and Chiarelli too) spent time in Providence and were able to watch Bourque (and the rest of the P-Bruins), so he didn't have to audition, so to speak. I went to a few P-B's games myself and saw Bourque running the PP there, and he did a solid job. Boston's PP has been pretty bad, so wouldn't you say that thinking outside the box and trying something (and somebody) different is a good thing? In two games, it's looked pretty good to me - I think they've had more legit scoring chances with a man up than they had in five games last season.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
He is a third line wing getting a shot. It's not like we have someone riding the pine that is a superstar 3rd liner.
okay, so if we are of the opinion that He Bad, principally because we should have something better for that slot, is that an allowable emotion

not that pouliot was a rockstar, but does anyone think bourque will match his meager production

let's leave well alone ryder who, for all of his flaws, was a 2rd line wing par excellence, and who was part of the crew that made the whole inferior 1st line, superior 2nd line, poor man's 3rd line lineup work

Old
01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
okay, so if we are of the opinion that He Bad, principally because we should have something better for that slot, is that an allowable emotion

not that pouliot was a rockstar, but does anyone think bourque will match his meager production

let's leave well alone ryder who, for all of his flaws, was a 2rd line wing par excellence, and who was part of the crew that made the whole inferior 1st line, superior 2nd line, poor man's 3rd line lineup work
I am all for an upgrade at any positon to make the team better and if people want to talk about who we can get to upgrade Bourque I am happy to hear it but if people just want to complain that he is playing becuase of his name well thats a different story.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
01-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post

Hamilton's getting a ton of ice, too.

Prolly partly because they're using this time as an evaluation period and partly because these 2 kids have been playing all along and have their skating legs going.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I am all for an upgrade at any positon to make the team better and if people want to talk about who we can get to upgrade Bourque I am happy to hear it but if people just want to complain that he is playing becuase of his name well thats a different story.
i'm okay with the concept that he's playing and because there's no surefire better option; however, at the same time, i sure would love to see someone else, including but not limited to persons like sauve, if he plays this way for ten games

i know, i know, small sample size, etc

Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
With the lockout, Julien and his staff (and Chiarelli too) spent time in Providence and were able to watch Bourque (and the rest of the P-Bruins), so he didn't have to audition, so to speak. I went to a few P-B's games myself and saw Bourque running the PP there, and he did a solid job. Boston's PP has been pretty bad, so wouldn't you say that thinking outside the box and trying something (and somebody) different is a good thing? In two games, it's looked pretty good to me - I think they've had more legit scoring chances with a man up than they had in five games last season.
Trying something outside the box is definitely a good thing, but again, flies in the face of the Claude we've seen in Boston for the most part. Maybe this is a positive change we're seeing in Julien, but it hasn't exactly been his M.O. up until now.

I don't dislike Bourque. He reminds me a lot of Peverley out there (another relatively late bloomer himself), I just find the whole situation unique as well.

There was one point in yesterday's game that Bourque got caught out late on a shift, gave a puck away, and then made a questionably-timed change. Most guys who do that, especially who are new Bruins, see some time on the bench after that. Bourque didn't however.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
i'm okay with the concept that he's playing and because there's no surefire better option; however, at the same time, i sure would love to see someone else, including but not limited to persons like sauve, if he plays this way for ten games

i know, i know, small sample size, etc
Sauve really looked good in that bos vs prov game didn't he. I am all for giving some other guys a chance after giving Bourque about 6 games or so to see what he can do. I think we will get a chance to see them anyway because you know injuries are going to happen and they are going to be extra careful and hold guys out one game like with Dennis in order to keep long term injuries at bay in this short season.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Lost in this conversation is the fact that had Caron stepped up and played well in Providence during the lockout, he'd be getting this ice time/role. He didn't, so what you get is a stop gap type of player like we have now. No big deal.

I personally wanted someone with a little more offensive punch like Spooner or Knight to step up, but the limited camp really hurt their chances of earning that spot. Consider it a symptom of the lockout rather than Bourque being a viable player.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

full disclosure: part of my apathy for chris bourque, hockey player, stems from my interactions with him on and off the ice

having played with a number of nhl/ahl/echl/college guys through the years (this isn't a paean to jeff from maine or whatever, later), chris didn't stand out in any way besides playing as if he was entitled; certainly that's a hard thing to shed as i'd interacted with him before playing with him and got that vibe, so first impressions may have coloured that, but i'd still not place him, talent wise, above any number of persons with whom i've played who either didn't make the nhl or have done so in a limited role

Old
01-22-2013, 09:03 AM
NastyNate17

After seeing Borque in just the limited 2 game window thus far, I can honestly say that I'd rather have him in the lineup than Caron. I don't necessarily agree with Julien's decision to use him in the shootout but it's a moot point anyway because it didn't have any effect on the outcome.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I'm having so much fun with this on twitter

Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Lost in this conversation is the fact that had Caron stepped up and played well in Providence during the lockout, he'd be getting this ice time/role. He didn't, so what you get is a stop gap type of player like we have now. No big deal.

I personally wanted someone with a little more offensive punch like Spooner or Knight to step up, but the limited camp really hurt their chances of earning that spot. Consider it a symptom of the lockout rather than Bourque being a viable player.
Caron is hurt (upper body). He's skating with Whitesides but still isn't practicing.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Caron is hurt (upper body). He's skating with Whitesides but still isn't practicing.
Doesn't matter if he's hurt or not. He's played terribly this year in Providence.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I'm having so much fun with this on twitter
are you having fun with what's actually being said or are you having fun with the strawman you threw up there....ONLY TOOK 2 GAMES BUT B'S FANS HAVE FOUND WHIPPING BOY IN CHRIS BOURQUE #whatabunchofmoronsbruinsfanscanbesometimeswellokm ostofthetime

Naughty naughty OOG.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I have no problem with Bourque getting a shot, he's played fine. I just thought going with him 3rd in the shootout was a bit of a reach.
Why? Last I checked the majority of Coachs in the NHL determine shootout lineups by how the guys perform in the mock shootouts during practice. His moves were good, and Pavelec made a good save.

Here's my take. CJ has been very impressed with Bourque both in the scrimmage and practices and even in the two games. CJ Has said this many times. Bourque has both the fans behind him wanting to see Ray's son out there in the black and gold, and he has the motivation to be out there grinding it out. I have been impressed with the energy he brings so far. IMHO He fits in perfect between Kelly and Pev's.

Now all this being said what has he done in the two games and the scrimmage that has anyone scratching their heads saying "why is he getting ice time and PP time?" Seriously bring out a solid argument onto why he SHOULDN'T be out there.

It's two games in.

/thread

Old
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Seemed as though they did this with Caron in 09-10. They played him with Bergeron and Recchi for 20 games.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
WreckItRask

Wow. This thread was predictable, but I thought it would take more than two games (both wins, btw). This place never ceases to amaze me.

Closed Thread