HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks trade for Karlsson (G - Calgary)

Old
01-21-2013, 08:40 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yes, but who?
At this moment, I don't know. At the same time, Crawford's barely played enough for Chicago to be either worried or content with their goaltending. Let the season wear on a bit, see how Crawford performs and by then maybe the Hawks have a better idea of who's available.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
zytz
lumberjack

At the very least maybe this gives Rockford a better chance to win some more games. I feel bad that our prospects have to come up in a perpetually losing franchise. And who knows, maybe he actually develops a little more. Stranger things have happened.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:18 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Chicago's farm teams haven't always been bad, but it is unfortunate that this current group (starting with Pirri/Morin/Beach) have been in a losing atmosphere for their entire Pro careers pretty much - outside of short stints with the Hawks and being called up in the playoffs.

I'm not at all a fan of Ted Dent.. if they had a decent coach, I don't think they'd be bad; they certainly don't lack talent, even with the call-ups.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Yawn! Great a 29 year old never will be, should fit right into the Hawks horrible goalie barn.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:55 PM
DirkGraham

In the games I saw him play for Calgary, he was decent. The forwards gave him no goal support in a few of them as his prefprmance should have been enough for wins. He definately was better than I saw Emery play last night so I would call him a step up from there.

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:02 AM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Carter Hutton was tweeting pics from the Bulls-Lakers game in Chicago tonight, and as far as I know, has not been suspended (yet) by the AHL. Kent Simpson and Alec Richards were in the game tonight for Rockford. There has to be some reason why Hutton is in town and the Hawks made the trade out of the blue for Karlsson. Emery may be injured or on the way out somehow.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:11 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Wow Karlsson just signed with Ottawa. So weird they'd trade him and for so cheap! Hawks now have two Norris winners in their blue line. Way to go Stan!

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Yawn! Great a 29 year old never will be, should fit right into the Hawks horrible goalie barn.
You might even say that with him in the net the goalie position is a zone of danger for the hawks?

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDucky View Post
You might even say that with him in the net the goalie position is a zone of danger for the hawks?
Well played sir.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 AM
icekoob

Another "meh" move by StanBo...

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekoob View Post
Another "meh" move by StanBo...
another meh move?

Bowman traded a 7th aka nothing for a #3 goalie and AHL depth. No downside here.

I'm pretty sure he is better than Emery.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

I'm pretty sure he is better than Emery.
I'm pretty sure he's not, and I'm glad the team agrees with me.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:10 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Probably the single most ignorant thought I have ever read on these boards is Emery is better than ___________ NHL goalie. Emery is the the worst goalie in the NHL and a finalist for worst player in the league. It's beyond embarrassing he is still on the roster. Getting a replacement within 24 hours was a sign this team was waking from a coma but not following it up with the waiving just hurts the team a little bit more each day.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:28 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Probably the single most ignorant thought I have ever read on these boards is Emery is better than ___________ NHL goalie. .
This guy is NOT an NHL goalie though. Take the Emery hate goggles off for a second a think about that. You're calling others ignorant when you're the one ignoring the fact that this guy has played less than 30 NHL games in his career!!

Old
01-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Probably the single most ignorant thought I have ever read on these boards is Emery is better than ___________ NHL goalie. Emery is the the worst goalie in the NHL and a finalist for worst player in the league. It's beyond embarrassing he is still on the roster. Getting a replacement within 24 hours was a sign this team was waking from a coma but not following it up with the waiving just hurts the team a little bit more each day.

Or the fact that the AHL goalies suck and they want maybe want to make the playoffs.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
This guy is NOT an NHL goalie though. Take the Emery hate goggles off for a second a think about that. You're calling others ignorant when you're the one ignoring the fact that this guy has played less than 30 NHL games in his career!!
Karlsson career with Flames

26 GP .9047 SV%

Emery career with Hawks

35 GP .8999 SV%

I've watched both play, Karlsson moves much better and has better size. The rest of their attributes are similar.

We haven't even accounted AT ALL for the difference between playing for the Flames and the Hawks, and also, Emery plays a lot and gets to stay sharp and at the very top of his game at all times while Karlsson plays a couple times a month.

So where are you going with this idea that Emery is better than Karlsson?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

This guy isn't even good enough to be the Flames backup! Coldsteel, if you think he's good enough for the Hawks, than you have very low expectations for this team.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
crazyhawk

Getting Karlsson was a low risk move.
Watching Emery against the Yotes was extremely alarming. I realize he is out of sych etc but he was just plain awefull. With the 12 back to backs Q will want to play the backup at least 12 times this season ( and that is if Crawford is playing well! ). How good do we feel about playing Emery 12 times in a 48 game season? We won't always be able to get 6 goals and the way Emery looked he would be averaging a 4.00 GA easily this year. I think the brass are up to something, either bringing up Hutton or making another trade involving Hutton .. at least something is happening!

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
So where are you going with this idea that Emery is better than Karlsson?
Karlsson (last year) - 3.17GAA, 900sv% 1W 4L
Emery (last year) - 2.81GAA, 900sv% 15W 9L

What tells you that Karlsson is better?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Karlsson (last year) - 3.17GAA, 900sv% 1W 4L
Emery (last year) - 2.81GAA, 900sv% 15W 9L

What tells you that Karlsson is better?
Those stats show Karlsson doesn't play nearly as much, still produces the same SV% while clearly facing many more shots than Emery did. These guys are close but one is definitely better and it is Karlsson. Everything points to that. Also, Karlsson never had the luxury of the Hawks roster in front of him.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:15 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
This guy isn't even good enough to be the Flames backup! Coldsteel, if you think he's good enough for the Hawks, than you have very low expectations for this team.
Emery isn't good enough to be the backup for any team in the entire NHL. I also question whether he will ever see another NHL start after the Hawks cut him loose.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Those stats show Karlsson doesn't play nearly as much, still produces the same SV% while clearly facing many more shots than Emery did. These guys are close but one is definitely better and it is Karlsson. Everything points to that.
Clearly facing more shots? They are actually roughly the same in shots against, Emerys SLIGHTLY less, only because he had to fill in for Crawford half way through a bunch of games.

Nothing points to Karlsson being better than Emery, he couldn't even beat out an AHL goalie for the Flames back up position.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Clearly facing more shots? They are actually roughly the same in shots against, Emerys SLIGHTLY less, only because he had to fill in for Crawford half way through a bunch of games.

Nothing points to Karlsson being better than Emery, he couldn't even beat out an AHL goalie for the Flames back up position.
Even if everything you say is spot on, nothing you said proves that Emery should keep the job.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
coldsteelonice84

Why should Emery keep the job instead of Karlsson? How does that help the hawks? Anyone?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Even if everything you say is spot on, nothing you said proves that Emery should keep the job.
How about this, we won 15 games and only lost 9 with Emery in net last year. Karlsson had 1 win and lost 4 as a back up.

Nothing you have said proves that Karlsson should take the back up job away. How does starting Karlsson in net help the Hawks if he is just as bad or worse (which he is)