HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rayan O'Rayli , From Russia with love

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

vCash: 500
Comrade О Райли yesterday.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
Comrade О Райли yesterday.
Well, at least he is competing at a high level, keeping himself in shape.

KHL is a very fast and technical league, Russians in general are great skaters.

Ak Bars Kazan is one of the top teams.

http://en.khl.ru/report/222/?idgame=35278

Old
01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Whoever is comparing Sakic signing an offer sheet to the O'Reilly situation is plain stupid. I'm sorry there is no other way to describe it.

Sakic was one of the 10 best players of all time in his prime (1997), and O'Reilly is a 21 year old kid who has one decent offensive production season.

Management was probably pissed when NYR offered Sakic so much and he signed, but that was what he felt he was worth and a team was willing to pay it. He did what he had to do to get paid fair worth and the Avs knew that was fair compensation so they figured out a way to make it happen to keep Sakic around because he was the franchise.

O'Reilly on the other hand is acting like an arrogant, spoiled little kid. He went over managements head signed a over-priced, inflated overseas contract and now wants the Avs to pay him more to bring him back. Well guess what that's stupid and I'd be pissed at the Avs if they give into his childish demands because it would cripple our future. Paying O'Reilly approximately 2M more than what is fair market value would crush us in the future when we have players like Varly, Landeskog etc. who may earn big time contracts. If a player thinks he is worth way more than he is the only sensible option in a salary cap league is to trade him. Let him be someone else's financial burden.

O'Reilly needs to grow up and realize that one good season doesn't equal superstar status, you got to earn that and O'Reilly hasn't.
Overseas teams are part of the market.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'll market you!

Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'll market you!

No need for violins.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
No need for violins.
You're right...let's keep it civilization

Old
01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Being the avs org it's probably a longshot but is there anywhere to be kept up to date with negotiations in any way?

At the minute I'm on here and go to elite prospects to see if there's any signings/rumours as it's usually pretty reliable.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 104
He changed his name again. Now he is using the rap influenced moniker of Reilly O.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He changed his name again. Now he is using the rap influenced moniker of Reilly O.
His best name yet

Old
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
You're right...let's keep it civilization
I still have the floppies for that game. And I got to meet Sid Meier at MaGFest, a super nerd convention (video, board, and table gaming, + music).

Obligatory ROR mention. I think, based on my epic inside information (which consists of stuff I read on HFBoards), that he'll sign in the next 72 hours (no reasoning presented).

Old
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
cgf

Quote:
You'd think this would be obvious.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Obligatory ROR mention. I think, based on my epic inside information (which consists of stuff I read on HFBoards), that he'll sign in the next 72 hours (no reasoning presented).
I sure hope you're right. We could use him on the 3rd line...or 2nd, if Paulie or Dutch falter.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

O'reilly to sign within 72 hours!!!!

I have just been informed by my secret insider that Ryan O'Reilly will resign with the Avs withing 72 hours!!!

Hurrray!!!!!!!

[so that's how this stuff starts...lol ]

Old
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
I have just been informed by my secret insider that Ryan O'Reilly will resign with the Avs withing 72 hours!!!

Hurrray!!!!!!!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he is only signing the dry cleaning check...

Old
01-22-2013, 10:58 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he is only signing the dry cleaning check...

Man, you're just on a "Bursting" crusade today aren't you? First my balloons, now his bubble...

Old
01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 104
Russian General Manager: Here, Reilly O. Sign this release clause.
Reilly O: Thanks for this time. I'll be going then.
Russian General Manager: Yankee fool. You just signed away your soul. Boris, take him away.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man, you're just on a "Bursting" crusade today aren't you? First my balloons, now his bubble...
sorry

Old
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
sorry

My GF would love you for that pic...she's a huge My Little Pony fan (not sure HOW the hell that happened)

Old
01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but Bob McKenzie just discussed it on NHL Network. He only listed Duchene's contract as a comparison. He said this isn't in a good spot right now. He said the Avs are digging in hard and it could get ugly, but he did say he doesn't believe for a moment that the Avs will pick up the phone and trade him.

Sounded better than what's going on with Subban though, as his agents and Montreal aren't even talking.
I'm surprised it took him this long to figure this out. Relations have been bad since the end of July.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I'm surprised it took him this long to figure this out. Relations have been bad since the end of July.
Let me ask you a question TPS, since I know that you are familiar with some of the parties involved.

If Newport was not representing ROR and it was some other agent or agency, do you think we would be at the same point we are today?

I ask this based on the recent negotiation patterns involving Newport's clients.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:

Hurrray!!!!!!!

WTF? I was actually getting excited there.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
WTF? I was actually getting excited there.
Read post #310

Old
01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
This is the Avalanche. No one leaks anything regarding them. I'm assuming he's probably just referencing Dater anyway. They seem to chat a bit.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Appleanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I see, I see.

Thanks man.

Personally, I still can't believe the amount of villainy that O'Reilly is undergoing in this thread, when Mr. Avalanche himself, Joe Sakic, who is my all-time favorite player, signed that offer sheet knowing what it would mean to the Colorado Avalanche should they match.

But I don't blame him one bit, he was looking out for himself, as he should. Because at the end of the day, Professional Sports is a business, and no one looks out for the players but the players themselves. What I mean by that is you can't count on an Organization like you can count on yourself. Eventually organizations move on, they're forced to, it's part of the cycle.

And I'm tired of hearing that "it's not the same situation". I realize it's not, but what IS the same from the two situations is this: Both were RFA's, and both used/are using another team's offer/contract to leverage a better deal with the Avalanche.

The real question we should be asking is why are we so forgiving of the Avalanche's Upper Management? I don't generally have a problem with Greg Sherman, he's in general done quite well with the mess that Francois Giguere left him. But isn't anyone else just tired of good players getting into contract disputes with the team that ultimately led them to being traded? I mean I know it's been brought up, but the Drury trade was nothing short of absolutely terrible. Even if Drury didn't end up being a Top-Line, #1 Center, he still was someone that was invaluable to most of the teams he played on throughout the rest of his career (end of his NYR stint could be debated).

But we know that the trade certainly set the Avalanche back a bit, they never truly recovered from losing his talent on the defensive side of the game, as well as the FO side, and he still had an offensive touch...it seems like with Ryan O'Reilly we were finally filling that gaping hole that Drury had left all those years ago.

I'm trying to remain in the center of this issue here, but historical precedence has me leaning toward ROR's side on this issue.

Other teams are paying for potential on some of the contracts being handed out after ELC's, so whether we or the Avalanche Management like it or not, market's are being SET by them. I know they're a fan of the "bridge" contract, and honestly I don't mind them, but that doesn't mean that EVERY player should just roll over and take one. If Ryan wants to be here longterm, then they need to get creative and find a way to make that happen.
The main and most important difference is that Sakic signed an offer sheet with an NHL team.

Rayan signed his with a KHL team, so if he stays there stubbornly we don't get ****.. at least if Sakic left we would have got picks. I can't personally blame him for accepting it, worse case is would have been playing with the Rangers and Gretzky.. It was also a certain thing, we either match and keep him or we don't. Sure, Sakic might have squeezed the Avs pre-cap out of a few million, but at least he didn't hold out for it.

Rayan is playing in Russia in one of the most polluted cities on earth, in a league that's now lost a lot of it's skill and star power, and if he decides to stay there we're basically **** out of luck. It's becoming more and more evident that he apparently cares more about his ego and money than the team or even his career, because the longer he stays in Russia for a little bit of money the more he's going to lose RFA years and building years here in the NHL.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

Hurrray!!!!!!!

In this case, it may be important to distinguish between "resign" and "re-sign". Just sayin'.

Closed Thread