HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dodging a Bullet in Hogtown

Old
01-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post

I thought Myers has certainly been the least of the Sabres problems the first 2 games.
IMO, there's a distinct possibility that Myers will never live up to fulfilling the potential he showed in his rookie season, and people will be forever disappointed despite him playing good - but not great - hockey.

Only saw highlights of the game, but I saw the Flyers game, and he seemed to have dropped off a bit in the 2nd half of the game...
But then he scored a goal.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:19 AM
HiddenInLight

Good:
VHP Turning it on again.
FES is going to start putting up major points if they keep this play up
Miller on point, playing very well.
Hoff-Sulz was our best pairing out there

Bad:
Faceoffs
Kaleta's penalty
Those misconduct calls for some shoving...wtf?
Leafs deciding to unscreen miller before every shot they took, wtf was up with that?

Ugly
The last three minutes
That bald guy the camera kept zooming in on at the end of the game.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Good:
VHP Turning it on again.
FES is going to start putting up major points if they keep this play up
Miller on point, playing very well.
Hoff-Sulz was our best pairing out there

Bad:
Faceoffs
Kaleta's penalty
Those misconduct calls for some shoving...wtf?
Leafs deciding to unscreen miller before every shot they took, wtf was up with that?

Ugly
The last three minutes
That bald guy the camera kept zooming in on at the end of the game.

FES won't produce anything unless they start getting some sustatained pressure in the offensive zone. I saw very little of that from them in the 1st 2 games. Chalk it up to early rust, but they need to really be much more effective.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
FES won't produce anything unless they start getting some sustatained pressure in the offensive zone. I saw very little of that from them in the 1st 2 games. Chalk it up to early rust, but they need to really be much more effective.
Yep, they've been pretty underwhelming, Foligno has not looked good at all. Looks nervous out there for sure.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Hmm... the quality auto-selects based on connection performance. For me it is usually great quality, but sometimes it downgrades for a bit. I haven't had a problem with it being stuck on poor quality though. I have had some issues with connecting to the service or a stream, but I'm hoping that gets cleaned up when they adjust to their current amount of users.
this gives me hope

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
Ennis missed an open net and had a few good rushes so the points will come. Foligno isn't having the same impact he had last year, and you are right that they need to do a better job on the forcheck and pinning opponents in. Stafford and Ennis still look like the chemistry is there, but Foligno has to catch up.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Old Navy Goat

To me it looks like Foligno is trying to catch up to the NHL speed after being down in the AHL. Its like his reads and tendencies are too skewed so hopefully it'll come back very quickly.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Don't know if anyone caught the Toronto feed but add to the Awesome: The bad ass chap who sang the national anthems. He was ****ing astounding. Anyone know who that was? Military guy
He was on MSG too and we got a kick out of him in the chat

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Guys remember a lot of these guys have only played 2 games in the last 8 months.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
tehinternet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Good:
Ugly:
- Giving out scarves to their fans is the most Toronto thing ever.
It looked like they were playing the game in Israel.

tehinternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Girgenburger

G:
-What a difference an offseason (and then some) with Gary Roberts makes. Hodgson's foot speed has improved, as well as his hockey sense. It's only been 2 games, but Cody's surpassed last year's short stint. The kid killed it tonight. Glad to see we finally have a top line that's clicking on all cylinders.
-Ennis was better. Had a glorious chance to get his first goal. Later on in the season, that puck's in the net.
-Grigo's defensive play. Keep the youngster up with the big club. I like how Lindy's making him think defense first. He's being trusted with lots of defensive zone starts.
-Sulzer and Ehrhoff is a great pairing, and they showed it tonight.
-Vanek. The beginning of the season is when you need your scorers to perform, and he's got the jump on everyone.
-Regehr is a rock.
-Ott doing his job and doing it well.
-Foligno's physicality.
-Getting the win in Toronto.

B:
-Leino not being ready.
-The defense relying heavily on Miller. They all looked pretty good, but Miller won't be able to cover their ass all season.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

They need to reign in Kaleta a bit. I get what he's trying to do but he's going too far.

Also, could we please get some Grigs on the second PP unit???

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
They need to reign in Kaleta a bit. I get what he's trying to do but he's going too far.

Yeah, I think he's making it hard for Grigo to generate offense on that line when Kaleta is busy running all over the place trying to hit stuff instead of trying to generate offense. Anytime I see Grigs get the puck nobody appears to be doing anything even remotely resembling offense (applies to Ott as well).

Too many times he gets the puck and the only option is to throw it back to the defense or just dump it out to center ice. He needs another offensively minded puck possession guy (Leino) badly IMO.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I've seen this a few times.

Maybe I watched an entirely different game, but I thought he was solid defensively for the most part. Yeah, he had that one absolutely stupendously stupid giveaway, but other than that he was more or less the same as Sunday. Rock solid in his own end, somewhat physical. Just didn't get involved with the rush much --- which I think was a plan, no Sabre D really got offensively involved much.

I thought Myers has certainly been the least of the Sabres problems the first 2 games.
Well, I see it the other way round.

If Weber would have created the same mistakes (giveaway, 3-5 delay of the game penalty) this board would still be freaking out about him.

But yesterday those mistakes happened to myers. And while I agree with you that he might never become one of the top 5 defender of the league, why do you judge his mistakes different than the mistakes of other?

Don't get me wrong, I love myers and he is important for us. But yesterday, he almost cost us the game with his stupitness. The giveaway should have been a gial aigainst, same than Dion's laser from the point on the 3-5 pk (ehich hit the posts)

If they had scored on that two situation, I'm sure that we would have lost the game.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Well, I see it the other way round.

If Weber would have created the same mistakes (giveaway, 3-5 delay of the game penalty) this board would still be freaking out about him.

But yesterday those mistakes happened to myers. And while I agree with you that he might never become one of the top 5 defender of the league, why do you judge his mistakes different than the mistakes of other?

Don't get me wrong, I love myers and he is important for us. But yesterday, he almost cost us the game with his stupitness. The giveaway should have been a gial aigainst, same than Dion's laser from the point on the 3-5 pk (ehich hit the posts)

If they had scored on that two situation, I'm sure that we would have lost the game.
I think it's because he's just so noticeable. I saw Sekera make similar mistakes as Myers and yet nobody throws a hissy fit about that stuff unless it's Tyler. Myers is the only guy people will freak out about a mistake he makes, even if nothing actually happens to take advantage of it.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I think it's because he's just so noticeable. I saw Sekera make similar mistakes as Myers and yet nobody throws a hissy fit about that stuff unless it's Tyler. Myers is the only guy people will freak out about a mistake he makes, even if nothing actually happens to take advantage of it.
Agreed. Sekera had a weak game yesterday for sure.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Agreed. Sekera had a weak game yesterday for sure.
I thought the entire D corps had it's fair share of "WTF?" moments last night. Not digging the chemistry between the pairs.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Sabresfansince1980

It may be the right move to keep Leopold and Regehr apart for now (two older vets that didn't play at all during the lockout and probably very rusty), but why does anyone think Ruff has Leopold-Sekera and Regehr-Myers, instead of Sekera-Myers and Leopold-Regehr? Isn't the last set-up (along with Ehrhoff-Sulzer) what was used predominantly during their strong run late last season?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
It may be the right move to keep Leopold and Regehr apart for now (two older vets that didn't play at all during the lockout and probably very rusty), but why does anyone think Ruff has Leopold-Sekera and Regehr-Myers, instead of Sekera-Myers and Leopold-Regehr? Isn't the last set-up (along with Ehrhoff-Sulzer) what was used predominantly during their strong run late last season?
Last year's setup was actually Leopold-Myers and Sekera-Regehr.

I don't understand why he changed up what was clearly working before the injuries towards the end messed everything up.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
gallagt01

Duffer said it best on the postgame. A solid 58 minutes (albeit with a few hiccups) and two minutes of chaos.

They buckled down and got a road win on the latter half of a back-to-back set. This was a solid team win. They're engaged physically and they're working in the dirty areas to score.

There's clearly rust throughout the entire roster. But they're winning, and frankly, they look better than they did all of last year, I think (they're carrying on their late-season rally, at least).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
I thought the entire blueline looked like garbage yesterday

Regehr... the Brad Brown measurement is dropping and dropping fast
Myers and Sekera were allergic to puck control
Ehrhoff thought it was his job to put Sulzer in a terrible position on every dzone possession

When Leopold and Sulzer are the least awful and we win, it's always going to be because Miller stole the game.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Yeah, it was pretty awful on the blue line yesterday.

thefifagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I thought the entire blueline looked like garbage yesterday

Regehr... the Brad Brown measurement is dropping and dropping fast
Myers and Sekera were allergic to puck control
Ehrhoff thought it was his job to put Sulzer in a terrible position on every dzone possession

When Leopold and Sulzer are the least awful and we win, it's always going to be because Miller stole the game.
Agreed.

On the flip side, our forwards did a good job in their own end, so that helped. A lot. Aside from Grig's rookie mistake, our forwards did a good job in getting the puck out and keeping with their assignments.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
No they don't. What Kaleta has done in the first two games (running around and starting **** with everyone at anytime with John Scott ensured immunity) has elements of spontaneity, aggressiveness and combativeness that have ranged from lacking to completely absent over the past five+ seasons. Let the league deal with it if he's actually crossing lines.

Ruff letting up on the gas and self policing has gotten us nowhere, while dirty, targeted, yet hardly punished play has been at the heart of three consecutive disappointing finishes.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:

I disagree, when you tell Kaleta to tone down he becomes useless.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote