HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Yakupov or Tarasenko

Old
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Keep in mind how good Tarasenko is. When he was 19, he had 9 goals in 42 games in the KHL. Yakupov had 10 goals in what, 21 or 22 games? Just as many points as well, except it took Yak half the amount of games. Projection is part of the guessing game, so that's a good place to start on WHy people might think Yakupov will be better.

I won't say for sure either way though.
Check the ice time.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Tarasenko>Yakupov for now, Yakupov>Tarasenko in 5 years

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
tfong

At this point in time and watching Tarasenko's first two games, I have to give this to Tarasenko.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
At this point in time and watching Tarasenko's first two games, I have to give this to Tarasenko.
So what your saying is in a very small sample size Tarasenko>Yakupov?
I guess Thomas Vanek > Crosby? Based on this season I would say so!

Tarasenko has been amazing and I think he is and will be excellent for a long time. But this is such a small sample size to compare, we need to wait until half way through the season and even that is very early. Lets see in 3-4 years.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Iceonfire

Yakupov is still a kid. Tarasenko is a man.

I wouldn't count Schultz out of the Calder race though, it is still early in the season.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Yakupov is still a kid. Tarasenko is a man.

I wouldn't count Schultz out of the Calder race though, it is still early in the season.
If he plays like he did last night for the rest of the season, he'll be in the mix. He looked good. Luongo stoned him 3 times.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
topchowda

Oiler fan saying Tarasenko will get more points this year, he has already played in the KHL for a couple seasons and used to the pro game pace. But yakupov has unreal potential and both should be great in the future

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

I have been waiting for Tarasenko to play in the NHL for a while and he certainly is exceeding expectations. Small sample size right now but I see Tarasenko putting up more points this year than Yakupov. We will have to wait a few more years though before telling who is better.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:54 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

I think Yakupov at 21 will be better than Tarasenko is at 21.

With that said though, Tarasenko seems like the pretty obvious choice for this year so far.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:11 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think I'd pick Tarasenko even in the future.

I see Yakupov as a one dimensional winger that can hit...mind you, one capable of hitting PPG so I'm not trashing him.

Tarasenko on the other hand seems like a two way player, great goal scoring ability, high IQ, good vision.

If he can play like this for 75% of the Blues games...he's their biggest star in his rookie season.
Yakupov definitely has to learn the defensive side of the game and that will come with time as Krueger will not let him get away without learning it. I hope you don't really see him as a one dimensional. He may not become one of the best two-way forwards in the league but his passing and vision are not bad at all at the moment.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Tarasenko has always been a level above Yakupov... even when he was Yakupov's age.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:15 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

projection is important

Yakupov is the clear choice for me

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:25 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Tarasenko has always been a level above Yakupov... even when he was Yakupov's age.
nope, Tarasenko put up 24 in 42 in his draft year the 19 in 42 after in the KHL

Yakupov was putting up better numbers then Stamkos pre injury in his draft year and put up 18 in 22 the year after his draft year in the KHL

Both did play a great amount of minutes either

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I think that was proven wrong a few posts back?

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 AM
jgoud

I think Tarasenko will be better than Yakupov this year, but we've also only seen Yakupov play one NHL game. Tarasenko was a point per game player in the KHL this season and Yak had 18 points in 22 games; so on paper they are pretty close. However, the fact that they are fairly close right now and that Tarasenko has 3 years on Yakupov tells me that Yak will likely be the better player in 3 years or so, especially once he fills out and gets experience playing against men rather than teenagers.

As for blues fans saying Tarasenko will be better for his entire career, yeah on the odd chance he might be, but he's played 2 NHL games and Yakupov is a 1st overall pick. Yak definitely has more potential

jgoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Dynamo81

Yakupov has been on a somewhat cold streak for some time. Sure he had 18 points in 22 KHL games but I think a lot of people here don't know that in his last nine KHL games he had four points and zero goals.

He has potential, I know he will come good and become a great player but I see a lot more peak longevity in Tarasenko.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Dynamo81

As I can't edit my posts by peak longevity I mean that I although in terms of point production I think Yakupov has a higher ceiling than Tarasenko, I think Tarasenko's peak will last longer. I see Yakupov going somewhere similar to Ovechkin who led the NHL in points per game three seasons in a row and then dropped off big time.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Xokkeu

I see Tarasenko as a bit of a safer option. Yakupov has a better shot, better hands, better skater and is a lot faster. Tarasenko doesn't have a bad shot or bad hands, just not the rocket Yakupov has. He is also not a lot worse at any of the things that Yakupov is better at. The area where Tarasenko is better at is in close to the net or along the boards and he is much bigger. I also seem to get a sense that Tarasenko is more consistent emotionally, but that's harder to judge. I'd take Tarasenko as the safe bet because he's not significantly worse than Yakupov in anything other than straight line speed, and his size and skill make him a very safe projection to be a stud in the NHL. Yakupov may eventually have the higher upside, but Tarasenko has the higher floor.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:24 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I see Tarasenko as a bit of a safer option. Yakupov has a better shot, better hands, better skater and is a lot faster. Tarasenko doesn't have a bad shot or bad hands, just not the rocket Yakupov has. He is also not a lot worse at any of the things that Yakupov is better at. The area where Tarasenko is better at is in close to the net or along the boards and he is much bigger. I also seem to get a sense that Tarasenko is more consistent emotionally, but that's harder to judge. I'd take Tarasenko as the safe bet because he's not significantly worse than Yakupov in anything other than straight line speed, and his size and skill make him a very safe projection to be a stud in the NHL. Yakupov may eventually have the higher upside, but Tarasenko has the higher floor.
Thanks for this post, I was kinda holding out for something about their skill sets and not just their scoring stats.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
So what your saying is in a very small sample size Tarasenko>Yakupov?
I guess Thomas Vanek > Crosby? Based on this season I would say so!

Tarasenko has been amazing and I think he is and will be excellent for a long time. But this is such a small sample size to compare, we need to wait until half way through the season and even that is very early. Lets see in 3-4 years.
I'm basing it off a small sample size of this plus wjc actually. The same logic doesn't apply to Crosby and vanek because we have more nhl games to base them on.

For Tarasenko and Yak we only have whatever nhl games they play now. Also it's not merely about points but how both have played in their games since I watched all gMws involving them thus far.

Yak will prob score more goals but I think Tarasenko has more points and maybe slightly less flash.

Think Bure vs Mogilny.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:40 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I think Yakupov at 21 will be better than Tarasenko is at 21.
No chance, Tarasenko has a better toolbox for the NHL... Everyone in the NHL is surprised by the hot start, but all of us who watched him in the KHL for the past 3 years were somewhat expecting this... His strength, shot and the fact that he does his best work in the big games are what seperates him from the rest.
Tarasenko will always be a better all round guy. Also, Nail has yet to break a big game open. I fear that he may be that kind of guy that squeezes his stick too hard in the big games. We will see what happens in the next few years around playoff time.

malkinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:45 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Thanks for this post, I was kinda holding out for something about their skill sets and not just their scoring stats.
Too lazy to quote the other guys post, but did he say better shot? Lol no chance, thats Tanks bread and butter, his wrister is heavier and sneakier than Nail's.

malkinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:49 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think I'd pick Tarasenko even in the future.

I see Yakupov as a one dimensional winger that can hit...mind you, one capable of hitting PPG so I'm not trashing him.

Tarasenko on the other hand seems like a two way player, great goal scoring ability, high IQ, good vision.

If he can play like this for 75% of the Blues games...he's their biggest star in his rookie season.
I have to agree here. Tarasenko is the total package. The biggest difference is in the way they think the game. As Yakupov grows, he'll likely be nearly as strong as Tarasenko. They both have elite puck skills and can skate very well. But Tarasenko's hockey IQ is significantly better than Yakupov's, and he's always had an extremely strong work ethic. He's very Crosby-like at times fighting for and controlling the puck in the corners, and then setting up his teammates. I remember watching him just physically dominate everyone at the WJC, outworking D in the corners then popping out in front and making a play.

I haven't seen that ability in Yakupov. What I have seen is a guy with an absolute rifle of a shot, who can handle the puck and isn't afraid of driving hard to the net. I can't think of any 18-19 year old prospect with a release like his, outside of maybe Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and his former Sarnia teammate Reid Boucher.

If he develops properly and learns the game, Yakupov could be a consistent 35-50 goal 70-90 point scorer alongside a playmaking center/winger. I see Tarasenko as a solid two way player putting up consistent 30 goal 80 point seasons.

I'd compare Yakupov to an Ovechkin-lite. Blistering shot, good offensive awareness, powerful hitter, agile skater. I think Toews is a pretty good comparison for Tarasenko. Size/strength, hands, shot, hockey IQ, work ethic, defensive awareness.

If I'm starting a team, I take Toews over Ovechkin.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
nope, Tarasenko put up 24 in 42 in his draft year the 19 in 42 after in the KHL

Yakupov was putting up better numbers then Stamkos pre injury in his draft year and put up 18 in 22 the year after his draft year in the KHL

Both did play a great amount of minutes either
Tarasenko put those numbers being a 3rd liner though and having much less TOI and zero PP. As soon as they promoted him to the 1st line he started to produce on a PPG level.

And as to juniors you can't actually compare them. Tarasenko led his team to WJC championship, and Yakupov... Well, you may say anything, but he definitely didn't look as a good leader, when he had to.

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I have seen Yak several times... I noticed the skill, but never got out of my seat or thought "Wow, this is a superstar"

Everytime Taransenko is on the ice it seems, he creates chances and attacks... just oozing talent.... The Nashville announcers last night were getting excited everytime he stepped on the ice.... really special talent here.

I am sure Yakupov will be a good NHLer, but Tarasenko will be a star.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote