HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
Manson is one of the bigger players in the NCAA at 6'3" and ~210 pounds. He's physically mature.

Gaudreau isn't going to step into the NHL at his current weight. He's going to add some weight, some muscle. I don't understand why this is being questioned. He's not going to stop lifting the weights suddenly.

He's making people look silly at 155 pounds. What happens when he adds another 15 pounds in the next 2 years?

I'd rather have the guy that still has some maturing to do physically, but has all the skill in the world, than a guy who dominates in the amateur leagues by physically overpowering others, something he can't do in the NHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
In the AHL he'll be playing against them twice as often. And I do think you and others missed his point since you're calling him out as if 4 points is a proof against what he said. He can have 4 points and not be ready.

Martin St Louis had 85 points in a season and wasn't ready.
St. Louis was the victim of organizational bias against smaller players and it was also a different time with a game less suited for smaller guys.

At this time, Cory Conacher is looking mighty good for Tampa Bay after two games. He's a shrimp and a diabetic. And nowhere near as gifted as Gaudreau.

Gaudreau will be a star.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Many of you missed the point of my post completely, but believe what you want. Typical HFboards.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Oh TheShoe82, I can't believe you'd go out there and accuse Gaudreau of antisemitism like that.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
Many of you missed the point of my post completely, but believe what you want. Typical HFboards.
You didn't have much of a point. If you had said "I saw him get pushed around and get intimidated, resulting in decreased production" then you would have had a point.

Instead all you've shown is that Gaudreau got knocked around, got up and put up 4 points.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
You didn't have much of a point. If you had said "I saw him get pushed around and get intimidated, resulting in decreased production" then you would have had a point.

Instead all you've shown is that Gaudreau got knocked around, got up and put up 4 points.

Sigh, alright. :

Northeastern has won approximately 4 games in hockey east. They are very close to the bottom of the league. They rely on the scraps of what the BC's, BU's, UNH's, etc. of the Hockey East get in terms of recruits. In fact, 2 of their better players were kicked off of BU last year for alcohol violations (Saponari brothers), which tells you something. The game was 3-3 after 1, 6-3 after 2, and 9-3 final. The backup goalie, who is pretty awful, was put in after the 5th goal was allowed by NEU. Long story short, they are nowhere near the same level as BC and the game was never even close. You seem to be hooked on the 4pt thing though.

I have been watching college hockey in the Boston area for over 12 years, attended one of the schools in the area, and see at least 2 games a week in person to this day. Yet I post an observation that someone in Flim-Flom or Calgary or Qatar disagrees with, and everyone else piles on. I could tell some of you the sky was blue and you would probably find a way to argue that. Happy now?

Like I said, typical HFBoards.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
St. Louis was the victim of organizational bias against smaller players and it was also a different time with a game less suited for smaller guys.

At this time, Cory Conacher is looking mighty good for Tampa Bay after two games. He's a shrimp and a diabetic. And nowhere near as gifted as Gaudreau.

Gaudreau will be a star.
Yupp what this guy said. Haters gonna hate. Gaudreau is the next St.Louis

Old
01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I apologize if it seemed like I didn't agree with what you are saying and I do agree that JG has to add muscle in order to make the NHL. It is the main reason I think he stays at Boston College as to try and add muscle and continue to play his game as well as he does.

Since you have seen BC alot how would you compare JG to Gerbe and Atkinson who are both smaller guys that did well at BC and are finding success at the higher leagues specifically Gerbe?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I apologize if it seemed like I didn't agree with what you are saying and I do agree that JG has to add muscle in order to make the NHL. It is the main reason I think he stays at Boston College as to try and add muscle and continue to play his game as well as he does.

Since you have seen BC alot how would you compare JG to Gerbe and Atkinson who are both smaller guys that did well at BC and are finding success at the higher leagues specifically Gerbe?
Gerbe has made it into the NHL but you seem to have a very liberal idea of what success is. Top 150 forward?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
VerySuperFamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Gerbe has made it into the NHL but you seem to have a very liberal idea of what success is. Top 150 forward?
That would make him on average the 5th best forward on every team, that's pretty good for a small guy with potential to improve.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Yes of course because 3rd line players in the best league in the world are failures. Shut up

Gerbe was taken in the 5th round and has made the nhl while being much smaller than JG. JG has greatly out played him at BC
JG has 75 points in 62 games in Gerbe's first 2 years he only had 65 points in 80 games. The point is I wonder if JG has the same kind of ability that Gerbe and Atkinson have to over come there size and be a top player on their team.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Yes of course because 3rd line players in the best league in the world are failures. Shut up

Gerbe was taken in the 5th round and has made the nhl while being much smaller than JG. JG has greatly out played him at BC
JG has 75 points in 62 games in Gerbe's first 2 years he only had 65 points in 80 games. The point is I wonder if JG has the same kind of ability that Gerbe and Atkinson have to over come there size and be a top player on their team.
Well Gerbe played in 2 WJC but really who cares, just keep up the hype machine and ignore the experts who don't have him as a top 50 prospect (after the WJC, didn't see him on any top 100 lists preseason) and he is unlikely to become one with the 13 draft guys coming online.

Like I have stated previously the odds are very much against him having any serious impact in the NHL.

I wish all prospects well but let's keep it real at least eh?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Well Gerbe played in 2 WJC but really who cares, just keep up the hype machine and ignore the experts who don't have him as a top 50 prospect (after the WJC, didn't see him on any top 100 lists preseason) and he is unlikely to become one with the 13 draft guys coming online.

Like I have stated previously the odds are very much against him having any serious impact in the NHL.

I wish all prospects well but let's keep it real at least eh?
So I ask about Gerbe in comparison and that is to high for JG

Who are you talking about not being in the top 100 Gerbe? When did I say he was I was asking hoe them compare at BC.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
So I ask about Gerbe in comparison and that is to high for JG

Who are you talking about not being in the top 100 Gerbe? When did I say he was I was asking hoe them compare at BC.
Player comps never really work, different players, time and place.

JG wasn't in any top 100 lists at the beginning of the year, highest I have seen him is a honorable mention right after WJC and we have the 13 draft guys coming in as well.

Either way doesn't really matter I guess we should ahve our answer in 5 years or so, if not less.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

JG wasn't in any top 100 lists at the beginning of the year, highest I have seen him is a honorable mention right after WJC and we have the 13 draft guys coming in as well.

Either way doesn't really matter I guess we should ahve our answer in 5 years or so, if not less.

This whole board is basically a player comp generator.

He's tiny? He's American? Oh okay he's just like Nathan Gerbe.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

Are you kidding me right this is before the WJC http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601 he is #20 including the 2013 draft picks. Also if we can't talk about comparisons and we if we can't take about his NCAA success as you seem to think small players do fine there and isn't an indication of future success what the hell is the point of this board?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Are you kidding me right this is before the WJC http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601 he is #20 including the 2013 draft picks. Also if we can't talk about comparisons and we if we can't take about his NCAA success as you seem to think small players do fine there and isn't an indication of future success what the hell is the point of this board?
Okay that Craig button list is a 1st and it includes 12 draft picks not 13.

But seriously Murray and Grigor ranked 26th and 28th?

Justin Schultz 1st?

This is one of the wackiest lists I have ever seen, especially in terms of the order.

Like I said in my previous post time will tell.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Okay that Craig button list is a 1st and it includes 12 draft picks not 13.

But seriously Murray and Grigor ranked 26th and 28th?

Justin Schultz 1st?

This is one of the wackiest lists I have ever seen, especially in terms of the order.

Like I said in my previous post time will tell.
Fine then there is this list from September that has him in the top 100 http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1381 and then they redid their list in Jan and he just missed the top 50 http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1426

So again stop acting like you know what you are talking about.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:31 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:

Gerbe is more physical of a player, and doesn't hesitate to go into the dirty areas. Many of the goals he scored in HE were in the slot, from what I remember. He is very aggressive and strong on the puck along the boards/behind the net, while Gaudreau is more of a perimeter player. Catch a game when the Bruins play the Sabres and its pretty funny to watch him go right at Chara, he is somewhat reckless when it comes to his own regard.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:

Gaudreau will be a star.
Conacher is fast, Gaudreau has worse skating than some 3rd line 6'4 guys in the NHL

Old
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Conacher is fast, Gaudreau has worse skating than some 3rd line 6'4 guys in the NHL
ok wow, this Gaudreau being a bad skater thing has become seriously overblown at this point if you legitimately think this is true.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Where do some of you fools get your information?

From DontToewzMeBro?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Sigh, alright. :

Northeastern has won approximately 4 games in hockey east. They are very close to the bottom of the league. They rely on the scraps of what the BC's, BU's, UNH's, etc. of the Hockey East get in terms of recruits. In fact, 2 of their better players were kicked off of BU last year for alcohol violations (Saponari brothers), which tells you something. The game was 3-3 after 1, 6-3 after 2, and 9-3 final. The backup goalie, who is pretty awful, was put in after the 5th goal was allowed by NEU. Long story short, they are nowhere near the same level as BC and the game was never even close. You seem to be hooked on the 4pt thing though.

I have been watching college hockey in the Boston area for over 12 years, attended one of the schools in the area, and see at least 2 games a week in person to this day. Yet I post an observation that someone in Flim-Flom or Calgary or Qatar disagrees with, and everyone else piles on. I could tell some of you the sky was blue and you would probably find a way to argue that. Happy now?

Like I said, typical HFBoards.
I'm glad you watch a lot of hockey, but you still don't have much of a point. Nothing you have said qualifies as an effective criticism of Gaudreau's game.

And added snark doesn't help your argument either. It's just snark.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Heh. Nice try.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Gerbe is more physical of a player, and doesn't hesitate to go into the dirty areas. Many of the goals he scored in HE were in the slot, from what I remember. He is very aggressive and strong on the puck along the boards/behind the net, while Gaudreau is more of a perimeter player. Catch a game when the Bruins play the Sabres and its pretty funny to watch him go right at Chara, he is somewhat reckless when it comes to his own regard.
Yea I like Gerbe, just wondered if they looked the same at BC apparently not that might be a good thing since JG is 20 pounds lighter than Gerbe he probably couldn't be as physical of a player.

Closed Thread