HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#02 | Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Jan 21 | W 4-3

Old
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
ichabod13

vCash: 500
leave it to this team to turn a possible ( positive ) blow-out into a third period nail biter.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
When Bails, JJ, and maybe Viz come back, I wouldn't mind seeing these combos:

Moulson - JT - Boyes
Bailey - Ullstrom - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Cizikas
Joensuu - Aucoin - Martin
Reasoner

Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Hamonic
MacDonald - Carker
Hickey
Martinek

Those lines aren't THAT bad. I'm confident that JT can carry that first line by himself, but we NEED to get him a real RW. I guess Nino next season. I think he'll be ready. Not sure if Bailey at center is worth trying again given the last 20 games of last season. I like the idea of having the pass-first Bailey playing with Ullstrom, who has a wicked wrist shot. And I like how KO and Bailey play together. Nielsen would be on the third line where he belongs, and that is a NICE fourth line with 2 big bodies to protect Aucoin while Reasoner watches them dominate from the press box.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
When Bails, JJ, and maybe Viz come back, I wouldn't mind seeing these combos:

Moulson - JT - Boyes
Bailey - Ullstrom - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Cizikas
Joensuu - Aucoin - Martin
Reasoner

Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Hamonic
MacDonald - Carker
Hickey
Martinek

Those lines aren't THAT bad. I'm confident that JT can carry that first line by himself, but we NEED to get him a real RW. I guess Nino next season. I think he'll be ready. Not sure if Bailey at center is worth trying again given the last 20 games of last season. I like the idea of having the pass-first Bailey playing with Ullstrom, who has a wicked wrist shot. And I like how KO and Bailey play together. Nielsen would be on the third line where he belongs, and that is a NICE fourth line with 2 big bodies to protect Aucoin while Reasoner watches them dominate from the press box.
Sorry but as long as things are going "good" Okposo doesn't leave top line

Ullstrom had a good game that's all, he's not being put over nielsen

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckzilla13 View Post
A little too obvious that Martinek would be a great compliment to Carkner. So, what are we missing here? When does Marty get in the lineup?

I can't imagine our coaching staff is that oblivious.
Hickey would also be a logical pairing option for Carkner. Either way, Finley got less than 9 minutes of icetime against the Bolts today. I can't imagine that speaks well for how much the coaching staff trusts him. Hopefully, we'll see him replaced with one of Martinek or Hickey very soon here. Finley has so far been mostly just a liability.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Hickey would also be a logical pairing option for Carkner. Either way, Finley got less than 9 minutes of icetime against the Bolts today. I can't imagine that speaks well for how much the coaching staff trusts him. Hopefully, we'll see him replaced with one of Martinek or Hickey very soon here. Finley has so far been mostly just a liability.
What i dont get Seph is that we have Martin and Carkner who can drop the gloves so toughness seems ok and if you wanted to dress a player to be a protector much better off using a Forward over a Dman

01-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Tavaresfan91

I think our chances of making a playoff push greatly increase if we get out of January above 500...need to go 3-2 this road trip that would be big because you get bailey viz and possibly Joensuu back in February. Winnipeg, leafs and devils are all winnable games. Probably thinking ahead a bit but that's what being 500 in January does to you

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
I think our chances of making a playoff push greatly increase if we get out of January above 500...need to go 3-2 this road trip that would be big because you get bailey viz and possibly Joensuu back in February. Winnipeg, leafs and devils are all winnable games. Probably thinking ahead a bit but that's what being 500 in January does to you
That same thing can eb sad for any team. Kets just get the first month going and if we make it a .500 Record we have a chance.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Great 45 minutes of hockey. The last 15, not so much.

Still, we beat a superior opponent today, and you hope they learn from it.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:09 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
A little too obvious that Martinek would be a great compliment to Carkner. So, what are we missing here? When does Marty get in the lineup?

The only problem is that they're both RH shots, so you'd probably want to avoid having a RH-RH combo and a LH-LH combo. Better to split them up. The Isles actually have an opportunity to have 3 LH-RH defense pairings. Call me old-fashioned, but I like that.

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:13 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I think I'd rather watch Martinek shoot on his back hand all game, then see any more of Finley paired with Carkner.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Strummergas

Quote:

They may just wanna see exactly what they have in Finley first before they put Martinek or Hickey in the line-up. The waiver wire pickups have only 2 options; stay with the Isles or they have to go back on waivers in order to be sent to the Bridge. I imagine they're gonna give these guys a chance before they stand a chance to lose them on waivers. I am hoping we see either Hickey or Martinek replace Finley soon though.

On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the way Aucoin and Strait have played. I'd like to see Aucoin permanently replace Reasoner this season.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Ehhh its going to be VERY difficult with almost HALF of our season against the Atlantic.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I think I'd rather watch Martinek shoot on his back hand all game, then see any more of Finley paired with Carkner.
Sure. The only thing I like less than a RH-RH pairing is 2 big slow guys paired up. But put Hickey or Strait with Carkner.

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Sure. The only thing I like less than a RH-RH pairing is 2 big slow guys paired up. But put Hickey or Strait with Carkner.
I think for the time being Strait has played well enough to remain where he is.

If he continues then when Visnovsky comes back, I think it would be best to pair him with Hamonic & move MacDonald down to play with Carkner.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Chardo

Quote:

He's 36, oft-injured, and hasn't played in over 15 months. Maybe the coaches, who actually watch him, see that he just can't play?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think for the time being Strait has played well enough to remain where he is.

If he continues then when Visnovsky comes back, I think it would be best to pair him with Hamonic & move MacDonald down to play with Carkner.
I can't believe you just said that. Amac has been playing 27 minutes a game playing against the other teams best line and we're going to move him down? Makes no sense.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the way Aucoin and Strait have played. I'd like to see Aucoin permanently replace Reasoner this season.
Absolutely, but do you think that Aucoin can last the season at his size? He's already taken some hits. I understand it's now or never for a guy like that, but I don't see him lasting long at his size playing the way he is.

I don't have much to add, except to say that Ullstrom is making it pretty clear that Bailey is going to have a hard time winning a contract for next year. I think he's going to be on the way out.

Ullstrom is, essentially, a lefty Blake Comeau without the curl-and-turnover combo move. He might even have better size and speed. He's a prototypical third-line winger who can play physically, skate, and chip in offensively. He's also not a not a back to the end-boards off-wing player. In other words, he's a LW pure and simple.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:22 AM
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Ullstrom has looked great. Im interested to see who he plays with when bailey comes back. Hes fast, skilled and had a really good shot. He fits well on a few different line combos.
Watched the replay last night, after watching the afternoon game live--- great passing on that play--- beautiful give-and-go, but did you see the shot by Ullstrom???!!! SWEET !!!!

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Watched the replay last night, after watching the afternoon game live--- great passing on that play--- beautiful give-and-go, but did you see the shot by Ullstrom???!!! SWEET !!!!
His awareness on the ice is night-and-day compared to a couple of years ago. He made that goal look easy but aside from the goal, his skating and energy, size & laser shot, make him a very unique player that every team would cherish. Nik Kulemin played that way a couple of years ago and had great success with Grabovski & MacArthur and even though his offense has suffered since, he's still a valuable player. Ullstrom, at his worst, is that type of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Ullstrom is, essentially, a lefty Blake Comeau without the curl-and-turnover combo move. He might even have better size and speed. He's a prototypical third-line winger who can play physically, skate, and chip in offensively. He's also not a not a back to the end-boards off-wing player. In other words, he's a LW pure and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i remembered something a while back that redbull posted about how some players are just easy to play with, and using comeau as an example of the complete opposite. ullstrom seems to me like the type of player that would fit that "easy to play with" category. some more experience and (fingers crossed) a bit more luck on the injury front and i could see him being a very useful player in a playoff run in the (fingers crossed again) not too distant future.
Watched Comeau in CAL yesterday, boy has his game tailed off. He's trying to play an energy role, skate, forecheck and get off....seems lost out there. There were times (very brief) when he looked so good on the Islanders but he's nowhere close to that now.

On Ullstrom, I completely agree, he's a north-south player who has really improved over the past two years. He's simplified his game, still plays with speed, drives the net (like Bergie used to do) but where Ullstrom is far better is in his hockey sense. He can make a pass and doesn't try to force plays that aren't there (like Comeau's twirl). I believe he's learned that, with experience, in the AHL.

I think he's a full time NHLer now, for good.

I'm not sure he displaces Bailey because they are such different players but Josh definitely needs to show more consistency this year. I think it's Joensuu, Aucoin and to a lesser extent, McDonald & Reasoner who's more at risk of losing their spot. Next year, Isles only have 7 forwards signed (Boyes UFA and Bailey, Joensuu RFA) and are probably expecting Nino & Strome & MacKinnon in the lineup so all bets are off

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Absolutely, but do you think that Aucoin can last the season at his size? He's already taken some hits. I understand it's now or never for a guy like that, but I don't see him lasting long at his size playing the way he is.
I'm not sure Dan-o. But I can say that Aucoin reminds me of a pre-Yashin Jason Blake. Small but tenacious with good speed, although Blake is faster. I'm not saying that Aucoin will wind up having the offensive numbers that Blake went on to have, but Blake played much of his career without missing significant time due to injury. Let's hope it's the same for Aucoin.

And by permanently replace Reasoner, I mean for the rest of this season. It would be great to see Cizikas take over the 3rd line center role and have Aucoin on the 4th. At that point, the Isles can trade, waive or just sit Reasoner. He's UFA at the end of the season anyway. But the Isles should definitely be looking to upgrade on Aucoin for next season.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm not sure he displaces Bailey because they are such different players but Josh definitely needs to show more consistency this year.
Yeah, they're different players, but Ullstrom is better suited to 3rd-line duty. So where is Josh going to play? Basically unless a winger gets injured, or Boyes turns out to be useless and Grabner is swapped to RW, he's got no spot in the top-6.

If Bailey wants a spot on this team, he better start working on his draws.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Yeah, they're different players, but Ullstrom is better suited to 3rd-line duty. So where is Josh going to play? Basically unless a winger gets injured, or Boyes turns out to be useless and Grabner is swapped to RW, he's got no spot in the top-6.

If Bailey wants a spot on this team, he better start working on his draws.
Bailey's played C and both wings so who knows. I think Bailey can play anywhere in the lineup, even 4th line C. I think some fans that are expecting a 20G - 60pt offense-first guy may be disappointed since he may not achieve that upside, BUT he's still a much more valuable player than half the forwards at least.

I believe they'll find a spot for him because he makes the team better.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
Well I have seen him play a lot of Right Wing with a lot of success. He's also more of an offensive weapon than a 3rd line player, but he's not a stiff in his own end so he could play well on the third line.

People are going to continue to learn about Ullstrom and his game and like him more and more. His potential is still a lot higher than many are giving him credit for.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:38 AM
crashthenet

Ullstrom looked very good.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Bailey's played C and both wings so who knows. I think Bailey can play anywhere in the lineup, even 4th line C. I think some fans that are expecting a 20G - 60pt offense-first guy may be disappointed since he may not achieve that upside, BUT he's still a much more valuable player than half the forwards at least.

I believe they'll find a spot for him because he makes the team better.
I'd love the Pens to take a flyer on Bailey if he's available. Obviously the price would dictate interest, but if the Isles don't seem to have room for him, Sid could use a creative winger for his line ...

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote