HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
If the Flames gave up Kipper for Luongo, I'm taking a break for 10 years

Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Did you not hear McKenzie hear rumblings of this as far back as July, but didn't report it because he thought it had no legs?

Steve Simmons also said the exact same thing on air. That he heard about it earlier in the year.

They knew, but they didn't report it.

Oh, and it's well known Shannon got his Bozak + Kadri rumour from within TOR management offices.

You were saying?
You mean the done deal that wasn't done? Maybe you could post a link that says he got info from management as it's well known.

As far as Burke, the day the guy got fired...not 1 media guy knew anything. It's easy to say in July h may get fired, they had just been bought buy Bell/Rogers.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:31 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

I think Gillis is desparate. This is him using the Vancouver media to drum up a market (like he accused the Leafs of doing, making him hypocritical) because he's desparate.

Upcoming UFA goaltenders at the end of this season:
Niklas Backstrom
Jimmy Howard
Jose Theodore
Evgeni Nabokov
Mike Smith

Luongo's value is behind all of theirs this offseason

Old
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
RomanianLeafs

i have a feeling it's the flyers..maybe they buy ouy briz first..don't see the oilers in and it's not the leafs

Old
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
If we're taking Gillis' word for it, then its not Florida cause its not who everyone expects. Besides, the comments about teams offering salary going back for a player that wont be in their lineup, totally screams the Panthers needing to include salary in a deal for Luongo.

Plus they have had some awesome goaltending in the 1st two games from Theo (1-1-0 with 2.50 GAA & .937 Sv%) and Markstrom has been pretty good in the AHL the last few games (last 5 games, 3-2-0 with a 2.20 GAA & .935 Sv%). Even if its a ploy by Gillis to get the obvious teams to up their offer, I dont see Tallon wanting Luongo when his goaltending seems solid right now.

Cant wait till this is over and we see where Luongo has landed though. Wonder if they have already asked Luongo to waive his NTC too?

Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I think Gillis is desparate. This is him using the Vancouver media to drum up a market (like he accused the Leafs of doing, making him hypocritical) because he's desparate.

Niklas Backstrom
Jimmy Howard
Jose Theodore
Evgeni Nabokov
Mike Smith

I won't accuse him of anything. I just don't know why he'd say it, and follow it up with we have to wait.

If it's true, i have to think a team in the EAST, not TO or FLA.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post

Niklas Backstrom
Jimmy Howard
Jose Theodore
Evgeni Nabokov
Mike Smith

You misspelled "ahead".

I think VAN fans are generally crazy in their demands for Lou. But he is a better goalie than anyone else on that list.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Doesn't this contradict what all Nuck's fans are saying?
That statement needs to be taken with the rest of the sentence.

No point of Dreger to just report what was just reported, it's old news. The insiders are digging for new information and until they feel that new information is true and not a misdirection they won't report it.

Personally the TSN insiders I've not had too much issue with what they've reported, they have been used a bit but that was mostly last summer and near the begining of the this circus, you're seeing less and less specific rumours from the big TSN insiders about Luongo and more just speculation of what teams are involved and what players Gillis "could" be interested in (most of this has actually been re-hashed over and over).

Basically what I'm saying is that don't be surprised if Gillis has his way, no media will know about the trade until the teams announce it (see Edler contract).

Old
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I'm hoping Gillis is like most Canucks fans and would rather gouge out his eyes with a spoon then trade Luongo for Horcoff.
Nah, not trade for Horcoff. The way I see it, it's the other team needs to clear (or sign?) one of their player. If it's Colorado, it could be the signing of ROR (he's not signed yet right?). But if it's Edmonton, it could mean the Oilers are looking to clear Horcoff before being able to take on Luongo's cap hit.

I have no idea how much cap space the Oilers still have, It's simply an hypothesis.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You mean the done deal that wasn't done? Maybe you could post a link that says he got info from management as it's well known.

As far as Burke, the day the guy got fired...not 1 media guy knew anything. It's easy to say in July h may get fired, they had just been bought buy Bell/Rogers.

Shannon has connections to the TOR office. Past connections. He has none to VAN management. Where do you think he likely got said information?

You are incorrect about no media guy knowing anything. McKenzie said he heard rumblings, and Simmons confirmed. I don't care if you believe it, I saw it.

Old
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
You misspelled "ahead".

I think VAN fans are generally crazy in their demands for Lou. But he is a better goalie than anyone else on that list.
Hahah, you are delusional if you really think that. I'll take 28 year old Jimmy Howard on a 5 year contract for 4.5M per year over 33 year old Roberto Luongo for 5.3M per year until 2022

Old
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He's not going to Edmonton or Calgary in any scenario, Gillis won't trade him within the division. He'd have to be nuts.

But comparing Luongo to Dubnyk will not come out in Dubnyk's favor in any scenario. Regardless of contract status. Dubnyk is the next Alex Auld in my opinion. Luongo at 33 hold the majority of goaltending records for 2 different NHL organizations.
I am not saying Dubnyk is equal to RL. I am saying he's better than 66% of RL and at 66% of the cap hit. Which is good enough for the Oilers right now. They aren't built to be a team that relies on exception D/G to grind out wins anyways. They are built to be a team that outscores there problems.

And you'll forgive me if I don't take your Auld comparison as gospel.

I do agree that Luongo isn't likely to get traded in the division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I could see Edmonton trying to get Luongo. Not sure if they'd trade a #1 goalie to a divisional rival, but they have a deep prospect pool, some of them could easily be interesting to the Canucks.

The player they would be waiting to clear could be Shawn Horcoff.
Mike Gillis - "And it isn't who anybody thinks it is"

That rules out Florida, Philly, Chicago, TO and Edm imho. All have been linked extensively to RL.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Shannon has connections to the TOR office. Past connections. He has none to VAN management. Where do you think he likely got said information?

You are incorrect about no media guy knowing anything. McKenzie said he heard rumblings, and Simmons confirmed. I don't care if you believe it, I saw it.
Great, your right and i'm wrong. Luongo will be traded today for a monster return from a team nobody expects,because this "we have to wait till they do someting with a player" stuff is easy. Waive, buyout...shouldn't take long.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
You misspelled "ahead".

I am pretty sure most GMs would take those guys for no player cost on a contract that isn't 10 more years over RL with his asking price. Even if he is a better goalie that those on the list.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Great, your right and i'm wrong. Luongo will be traded today for a monster return from a team nobody expects,because this "we have to wait till they do someting with a player" stuff is easy. Waive, buyout...shouldn't take long.

It would take long if Gillis didn't want to buyout a returning contract.

His statement is so open ended. Frankly, I think it's a mistake to trade Lu this early. All should ride this out until the landscape is better known. Which teams need goaltending and which don't. Moving him right now must mean that he has lessened on his stance somewhat. No, it will not be a "monster return" IMO. At the deadline with certain teams knowing their positions maybe, but not this soon.

And I really hope TOR media doesn't dissect this 10 ways from Sunday because it's indirectly TOR related. I'll be watching That's Hockey for sure.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

what i am amused by is that Gillis told the Vancouver Sun a deal is close. For me,. this is Gillis not being happy with the offers and trying to get a team that maybe on the fence to anti up some more players or prospect in an attempt to get a better return for Luongo.

This is Burke 101 media manipulation

Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
It would take long if Gillis didn't want to buyout a returning contract.

His statement is so open ended. Frankly, I think it's a mistake to trade Lu this early. All should ride this out until the landscape is better known. Which teams need goaltending and which don't. Moving him right now must mean that he has lessened on his stance somewhat. No, it will not be a "monster return" IMO. At the deadline with certain teams knowing their positions maybe, but not this soon.

And I really hope TOR media doesn't dissect this 10 ways from Sunday because it's indirectly TOR related. I'll be watching That's Hockey for sure.
A. I didn't mean Gillis had to buyout, i meant the "mystery team". They could buyout, waive or trade this player for a 7th. Doesn't seem like it should hold up a done deal.

B. If Gillis intends to wait, why announce it? Just more fuel on the media fire.

C. If TO media discussed it...would it surprise you? Hockey central/that's hockey are about...well...hockey. This would be a hockey story....no?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
what i am amused by is that Gillis told the Vancouver Sun a deal is close. For me,. this is Gillis not being happy with the offers and trying to get a team that maybe on the fence to anti up some more players or prospect in an attempt to get a better return for Luongo.

Is Gillis going to call Cole's boss to get him fired if he doesn't get a bidding war? That's a Burke strategy too I think.

In all seriousness, this won't drum up any more interest in offers. GMs are not this gullible. All this does is to put more pressure on Gillis by having more questions about Roberto. It would be a foolish strategy to use this as a means to generate interest IMO.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

OH!!! You went there??? Not good.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

I had leaf fans agreeing to Bozak, Kadri and a second months ago and now look! I know it's only been two games, but Kadri looks dangerous every time he touches the puck and as I said before, he could work out well with Kesler and booth when they get back.

Also can't ignore Bozak's faceoff %, he could really be useful in many situations for us.

but alas! Kadri won't be traded (at least by fans on HF) in any deal for Luongo.

Anyways, I'm hoping Chicago as well, "sending him to a rival" is not a reason to take less from other teams so I hope Luongo gets shipped to whatever team brings us the best return.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

If true, which I doubt, Detroit.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:

Bingo. Throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
A. I didn't mean Gillis had to buyout, i meant the "mystery team". They coud buyout, waice or trade this player for a 7th. Doesn't seem like it should hold up a done deal.

B. If Gillis intends to wait, why announce it? Just more fuel on the media fire.

C. If TO media discussed it...would it surprise you? Hockey central is about...well...hockey. This would be a hockey story....no?

A. Understood.

B. I know, which makes this very weird. He's just making it harder on himself here. More questions.

C. I'll be looking for the differences in coverage. Before, when TOR was in the mix, TSN had a certain slant and major time dedicated to the issue. Now that they are all but out, I wonder how things will change. We'll see which way they lean this time around, after Gillis's ... ahem, "reprimand".

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
If true, which I doubt, Detroit.
I don't think they're management would overreact to a slow start in this way

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I had leaf fans agreeing to Bozak, Kadri and a second months ago and now look! I know it's only been two games, but Kadri looks dangerous every time he touches the puck and as I said before, he could work out well with Kesler and booth when they get back.

Also can't ignore Bozak's faceoff %, he could really be useful in many situations for us.

but alas! Kadri won't be traded (at least by fans on HF) in any deal for Luongo.

Anyways, I'm hoping Chicago as well, "sending him to a rival" is not a reason to take less from other teams so I hope Luongo gets shipped to whatever team brings us the best return.
I was one of these. Thought it would happen as well. To be honest, i'm in the "run what we have" mode now. I think we miss the playoffs, but we'll see what are young guys really have. Offseason is gonna be interesting around TO.

I wish Luongo all the best and hope Van fans are happy with the return.

Closed Thread