Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Royal Rumble GDT - 01/27/13

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Royal Rumble GDT - 01/27/13

might as well, second biggest PPV of the year, bound to be discussion and such before it. will update OP if more matches are announced

Quote:
Pre-Show: United States Championship
Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. The Miz

WWE Tag Team Championships
Team Hell No (c) vs. Rhodes Scholars

Last Man Standing for the World Heavyweight Championship
Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. Big Show

30 Man Royal Rumble Match

WWE Championship
CM Punk (c) vs. The Rock

Predictions:
Rhodes Scholars def. Team Hell No to become new Tag Team Champions
Alberto Del Rio def. Big Show
John Cena wins the Royal Rumble match
The Rock def. CM Punk to become new WWE Champion

ultimately, I feel it would make sense for Ziggler to cash in and avoid being #1 or #2 in the Royal Rumble match - but that makes too much sense for WWE to book it like that, so I don't think Ziggler cashes in.

The card is shaping up to look like an early PPV of the year candidate as well.

Last edited by M.C.G. 31: 01-23-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Great looking show. Throw in a Divas match to get the crowd a rest. I can't wait. Give us a good rumble and a good WWE title match and we are set to go.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
RussianRocket10

I'm gonna make a crazy bold () prediction that The Shield or Brad Maddox will play a part in the WWE Title match.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Would you be okay with a DQ finish in Rock/Punk?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Would you be okay with a DQ finish in Rock/Punk?
Yes, solely on the grounds that it's what I'm expecting. It took the very last Monday before the Rumble for me to be totally plugged into this story, so the investment into Rock/Punk is almost at ground level. I expect Punk to retain, I expect Lesnar to interfere after Maddox fails to count the three when he replaces the referee booked for the match - likely gets knocked out in a corner bump.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Also, I swear... if I hear "OLEEEE, OLE OLE OLE!" I am going to mark out, flip over a couch, and likely bang on some walls. Likely won't happen but still, a man can dream... right, Rock?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
duckchobbins

Probably the best card the Rumble has seen in at least 10 years. I'm expecting great things in every match, and then toss in the 30 man rumble, this ppv has enormous potential.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:06 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Yes, solely on the grounds that it's what I'm expecting. It took the very last Monday before the Rumble for me to be totally plugged into this story, so the investment into Rock/Punk is almost at ground level. I expect Punk to retain, I expect Lesnar to interfere after Maddox fails to count the three when he replaces the referee booked for the match - likely gets knocked out in a corner bump.
If Punk is going to win, that's probably the easiest way to write it. I still think Rock wins though. Punk will start mounting a comeback and the Shield will start walking down from the crowd. Punk sees them and starts yelling for them to leave, then he gets Rock Bottomed and pinned.

Rock and Cena winning just seems like the lazy way out of this, so I really hope that isn't the plan.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Rhodes Scholars
ADR
Rock
Cena or Ryback, unfortunately.

And Kaitlyn will win a random Divas match over like Alicia Fox or someone.

I also have a feeling Maddox enters the Rumble. He'll steal someone's number when they aint looking or something.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

Punk I think he will retain and lose the belt to Rock at EC (but will not be surprised if Rock wins.)
ADR (no way Show wins this, as for Ziggler cashing in would make sense as ADR would be vunerable based off the LMS match but I think Ziggler waits.)
Rhodes Scholers (Bryan and Kane need to have a new angle and now is a good time with their graduation from Anger Management. Plus Cody and Sandow will be a good team to carry the titles for a while.)
Kaitlyn vs does not even matter
Cena wins the Rumble (althoughthey could throw a twist here and have a SD guy win and go after ADR at WM and have Cena vs Rock as last two guys at EC where Rock wins. Cena then says since he was last in the EC with Rock he should get a shot at Rock at WM, Punk disagrees and either triple threat happens or Cena and Punk have a #1 contenders match where Cena wins.)

Based on who was in the ring at the end of Raw and it looks they will all be in the match, there are 3 spots left.

Dolph Ziggler (Either 1st or 2nd entrant in Royal Rumble)
John Cena
Sheamus
Randy Orton
Ryback
Antonio Cesaro
Wade Barrett
The Miz
Jinder Mahal
Drew McIntyre
Heath Slater
Great Khali
Daniel Bryan
Kane
Darren Young
Titus O'Neil
Cody Rhodes
Damien Sandow
Primo
Epico
Justin Gabriel
Brodus Clay
Alex Riley
JTG
Michael McGillicutty
Curt Hawkins
Kofi Kingston

Last edited by Xenophobia Catalyst: 01-22-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

My Predictions:

- Rhodes Scholars get the titles here. Team Hell No has had the titles for awhile and it's time to shake things up a bit and further the fued.

- ADR wins over Big Show. I just can't see them taking the belt off of ADR this soon, especially since he's been getting a decent reaction as a face.

- Divas match will give everyone a much needed bathroom break.

- Rock wins clean to get the belt from Punk (cheap finish would really put a damper on this match and I'd be very disappointed if they didn't let them go out there and have a war with a decisive finish). If they really want Rock to have a run with the belt, now is the right time. Let him have one successful title defense at EC and then lose the belt at Mania.

- As for the Rumble winner, I have no idea which is probably a good thing. Cena shouldn't win the Rumble based solely on the fact that he doesn't need a Rumble win to get into the title picture at Mania. As I said in another thread, my ideal booking would be for Punk to come in as a late entry to the Rumble after losing the belt. Punk wins and then tries to cover up his loss to Rock by trying to make an even bigger deal out of his Rumble win. Punk feels disrespected when Cena is given a title shot at Mania against Rock and cashes in his ticket to make it a triple threat match. Probably won't happen but I can dream, can't I?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
My Predictions:

- Rhodes Scholars get the titles here. Team Hell No has had the titles for awhile and it's time to shake things up a bit and further the fued.

- ADR wins over Big Show. I just can't see them taking the belt off of ADR this soon, especially since he's been getting a decent reaction as a face.

- Divas match will give everyone a much needed bathroom break.

- Rock wins clean to get the belt from Punk (cheap finish would really put a damper on this match and I'd be very disappointed if they didn't let them go out there and have a war with a decisive finish). If they really want Rock to have a run with the belt, now is the right time. Let him have one successful title defense at EC and then lose the belt at Mania.

- As for the Rumble winner, I have no idea which is probably a good thing. Cena shouldn't win the Rumble based solely on the fact that he doesn't need a Rumble win to get into the title picture at Mania. As I said in another thread, my ideal booking would be for Punk to come in as a late entry to the Rumble after losing the belt. Punk wins and then tries to cover up his loss to Rock by trying to make an even bigger deal out of his Rumble win. Punk feels disrespected when Cena is given a title shot at Mania against Rock and cashes in his ticket to make it a triple threat match. Probably won't happen but I can dream, can't I?
That'd be great and that would be a great way for Punk to stay relevent even if he loses the title. Honestly, I don't know where they'll go with Punk if he loses the title.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Katlyn random divas bathroom break
ADR
Rhodes Scholars
Shemus to win the rumble
Rock after finding a way to defuse the Shield.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Foy

Katlyn
ADR
Rhodes Scholars
Punk
Cena in the Rumble

Old
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
Punk I think he will retain and lose the belt to Rock at EC (but will not be surprised if Rock wins.)
ADR (no way Show wins this, as for Ziggler cashing in would make sense as ADR would be vunerable based off the LMS match but I think Ziggler waits.)
Rhodes Scholers (Bryan and Kane need to have a new angle and now is a good time with their graduation from Anger Management. Plus Cody and Sandow will be a good team to carry the titles for a while.)
Kaitlyn vs does not even matter
Cena wins the Rumble (althoughthey could throw a twist here and have a SD guy win and go after ADR at WM and have Cena vs Rock as last two guys at EC where Rock wins. Cena then says since he was last in the EC with Rock he should get a shot at Rock at WM, Punk disagrees and either triple threat happens or Cena and Punk have a #1 contenders match where Cena wins.)

Based on who was in the ring at the end of Raw and it looks they will all be in the match, there are 3 spots left.

Dolph Ziggler (Either 1st or 2nd entrant in Royal Rumble)
John Cena
Sheamus
Randy Orton
Ryback
Antonio Cesaro
Wade Barrett
The Miz
Jinder Mahal
Drew McIntyre
Heath Slater
Great Khali
Daniel Bryan
Kane
Darren Young
Titus O'Neil
Cody Rhodes
Damien Sandow
Primo
Epico
Justin Gabriel
Brodus Clay
Alex Riley
JTG
Michael McGillicutty
Curt Hawkins
Kofi Kingston
I'd bet Hawkins, McGillicutty, JTG, Riley, maybe Clay, Epico and Primo aren't in the Rumble and they were just down there for the brawl.

I see Christian, Henry and Benjamin returning. I see legend appearances from Billy Gunn and Road Dogg, maybe Diamond Dallas Page even and/or Kevin Nash. A long shot would be Chris Jericho as a one-off for now, but maybe play up an angle that can lead to the summer if Jericho returns full time by then.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Del Rio keeping the belt is a must. He's finally gaining steam in a big way. His face turn was one of the best things that could have happened.

I don't know many wrestlers that are better as a face than a heel. That's a rare breed.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Brodeur

Barring complications, I'll be attending this one in person. On the downside, my friends and I had/have a tradition of drawing numbers out of a hat and gambling on the Rumble (with a point system). Won't quite be the same without them, but seeing it live should be fun.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Barring complications, I'll be attending this one in person. On the downside, my friends and I had/have a tradition of drawing numbers out of a hat and gambling on the Rumble (with a point system). Won't quite be the same without them, but seeing it live should be fun.
Nothing can be quite as fun as being there for an awesome PPV. And nothing is as bad as being there in person for a god-awful PPV. I've been at both ends.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
kaitlyn wins against whoever she wrestles.
Del Rio (No way they'd give the title back to Show)
Team Hell no (Don't think they drop until WM)
Rock (If he wins the title at all, this is the time. No other time for him to take the title would make sense.)
Ziggler wins the rumble, challenges the WWE champ at mania, wins the title, cashes in the briefcase earlier that night, wins that title too, unifies the titles. A guy can dream, right?

Cena wins the rumble.

Last edited by OmniSens: 01-22-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Katlyn - Pretty easy call here. Cant see her losing the title yet.
ADR - Would be really weird to give the title back to Show. I'm predicting no MITB cash-in.
Rhodes Scholars - Time to give the titles to someone else. Kane/Bryan have had them forever. Bryan will probably get angry at Kane for losing and they'll either feud against eachother or go back to anger management.
The Rock - I honestly believe the rumors of a Rock vs Cena rematch. It's exactly the kind of nonsense booking I expect.
Cena wins the rumble - This is obvious regardless of who wins the WWE title.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Royal Rumble has always been one of my favorite PPV's.

Does anyone know if any "legends" will be appearing in the rumble?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
RussianRocket10

I'd be shocked if Cena won the Rumble since he came out and said he was going to.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post

I might have to stay out of this thread out of fear of spoilers. Mr. Perfect's surprise entrance in 2003 remains a personal favorite. Loved how the crowd got behind him when he was in the final 3.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I might have to stay out of this thread out of fear of spoilers. Mr. Perfect's surprise entrance in 2003 remains a personal favorite. Loved how the crowd got behind him when he was in the final 3.
If memory serves, Perfect wasn't a surprise legend.

I remember they advertised via vignettes the return of Goldust, Hennig, Bossman, and Venis.

but him in the final 3 was awesome. WWF could have done some things with Perfect during that last run, but they didn't.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post

I can see The King or Booker, maybe Hacksaw with a 15-30 second appearance.

Closed Thread