HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Bryz has outplayed Smith, Quick & Schneider

Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieTheGreat1 View Post
I have to disagree with this. I've been a goalie for over 10 years, played NE Prep. Iv'e always been told to never go paddle down. It opens up a gigantic hole because your blocker is no longer in position and the entire right side of the goal is then opened up. I'm also small for a goalie so maybe that was just how my coaches always told me to position myself.
always paddle down is not what i meant. i read my post and it's what i said but not what i meant. i meant stick down which is a huge difference i know. bryz has the tendency to pick his stick up off the ice while down and in motion i've noticed. sorry for the confusion.

oh btw i'm not big at all for a goalie either (5'10") but i was never told to not go paddle down. in fact we did plenty of paddle down drills (especially for wrap arounds and extreme angle shots). i'm actually shocked you were told never to go paddle down. i know it actually opens up both top corners especially blocker side but it has its uses.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
CJV123

one wild rumor right now is Luongo to PHI after Bryz buyout

Old
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Akanon

REPORT: GILLIS SAYS “POTENTIAL DEAL IN PLACE” FOR LUONGO

Quote:
....We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it's not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. ....
Chicago, maybe?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Bobrovsky has been one of the best and worst things Holmgren has done during his time here. Watching him in Columbus is frustrating. He's already a better goalie than when he left.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Bobrovsky has been one of the best and worst things Holmgren has done during his time here. Watching him in Columbus is frustrating. He's already a better goalie than when he left.
i knew from the moment we let him go he was gunna shine..

but in reality signing Bryz to that bloat-contract kinda sealed Bob's fate here..

such a shame that in just a few years will be biting us in the ASS

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
you always hate to see players with Bob's work ethic go. Thats what this city loves but at the same time Bob wanted to start and Paul went out and signed Bryz to a long term contract so that wasn't going to happen. and while bob has looked very good for the jackets in the early going it's only been two games, we won't know until he's played a full season what we really gave up. he's still young and most likely will continue to improve so at this point i'm inclined to agree with you but i don't know if he's a slam dunk either. bob has always played well in short stretches but was prone to giving up soft goals at inopportune times (such is the curse of every flyers goalie in recent memory). time will tell i guess

Old
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Bryz has outplayed Smith, Quick & Schneider
Hasn't Lundqvist been a sieve too?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
you always hate to see players with Bob's work ethic go. Thats what this city loves but at the same time Bob wanted to start and Paul went out and signed Bryz to a long term contract so that wasn't going to happen. and while bob has looked very good for the jackets in the early going it's only been two games, we won't know until he's played a full season what we really gave up. he's still young and most likely will continue to improve so at this point i'm inclined to agree with you but i don't know if he's a slam dunk either. bob has always played well in short stretches but was prone to giving up soft goals at inopportune times (such is the curse of every flyers goalie in recent memory). time will tell i guess

His positioning issues are noticeably reduced. This is particularly true on plays where he has to telescope in and out of his net and transition scoring chances. His stance looks a little more verticle also, which has made his footwork sharper and smoother. If you watch his performances in the shoot outs you can see a lot of it. He's always been an athlete that played goal. Now he's looking like an athletic goalie. With the focus of his work ethic aimed on improved technique I think his consistency and overall performance are going to be very very good.

I know Bob wanted to start, but Bob was under contract. Holmgren should've told Bob he was a young pup who needed to chill for a year or so. The whole idea of insisting on competing every year is excellent, but the mentality of selling out to win it every year is stupid (you can't be a strong contender every year, and Holmgren has shown himself unwilling to give certain things time). But I'm sure you don't disagree, at least with respect to Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Tell me about it. I drafted him first pick in a fantasy league and Rask also early so that I could have essentially four categories on lock every match up. This joker is costing me badly right now. But Hank's Hank. He'll come around.

I don't think a lot of the goals from what I have seen were bad really. Just New York not being organized enough and not playing like New York yet. It's early I think they're gonna figure it out in front of him or Torts will strangle someone.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
one wild rumor right now is Luongo to PHI after Bryz buyout
a wild rumor like 2 weeks ago

Old
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
it will be Dallas. Jamie Benn going to Vancouver IMO

Old
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
saw the he was pulled, but haven't really seen the games, so i didn't want to judge unfairly

Old
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
it will be Dallas. Jamie Benn going to Vancouver IMO
Dallas has Lehtonen

01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Maybe Tampa? Who's their goalies again? Lindback?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Lindback has looked pretty good the last 2 games..

Yesterday his defense left him out to dry

If I had to wager, I'd say the sharks.

Niemi sucks and that core is just getting older

Old
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Maybe Tampa? Who's their goalies again? Lindback?
Vinny for Lou straight up is my guess.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
His positioning issues are noticeably reduced. This is particularly true on plays where he has to telescope in and out of his net and transition scoring chances. His stance looks a little more verticle also, which has made his footwork sharper and smoother. If you watch his performances in the shoot outs you can see a lot of it. He's always been an athlete that played goal. Now he's looking like an athletic goalie. With the focus of his work ethic aimed on improved technique I think his consistency and overall performance are going to be very very good.

I know Bob wanted to start, but Bob was under contract. Holmgren should've told Bob he was a young pup who needed to chill for a year or so. The whole idea of insisting on competing every year is excellent, but the mentality of selling out to win it every year is stupid (you can't be a strong contender every year, and Holmgren has shown himself unwilling to give certain things time). But I'm sure you don't disagree, at least with respect to Bob.

Tell me about it. I drafted him first pick in a fantasy league and Rask also early so that I could have essentially four categories on lock every match up. This joker is costing me badly right now. But Hank's Hank. He'll come around.

I don't think a lot of the goals from what I have seen were bad really. Just New York not being organized enough and not playing like New York yet. It's early I think they're gonna figure it out in front of him or Torts will strangle someone.
I agree w/ everything you said regarding bob. I would've liked to keep him a bit longer.

With our luck the rags will put it all together just in time for the game on Thursday

Old
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Lindback has looked pretty good the last 2 games..

Yesterday his defense left him out to dry

If I had to wager, I'd say the sharks.

Niemi sucks and that core is just getting older
That's a rival..doubt they would do that. Maybe Edmonton or Florida?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
a wild rumor like 2 weeks ago
People also forget that the Flyers are right up at the cap and if they buy out Bryzgalov right now, his salary counts against the cap for the rest of the year. So, how would they fit Luongo into the equation? Simple - they can't. This whole Luongo thing is nothing more than Gillis blowing a bit of smoke so that some team panics and ups the ante to acquire Luongo. That's all what it is.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

of goalies with 2 games played, Bryz is #8 in sv % at .909

Old
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If that's good for 8, I'd say scoring is up a good amount thanks to teams not being on the same page defensively because of the lockout.

01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
That's a rival..doubt they would do that. Maybe Edmonton or Florida?
Edmonton is a bigger rival than SJ

Why would florida trade for him?

They have Markstrom just waiting to take the starter spot. Florida would be stupid to give up actual pieces to get Luongo and waste Markstrom's talents

Old
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Bailing on Bob after he had one of the best rookie seasons in recent Flyer history will likely bite us in the rear.

Kid was unstoppable for 3/4 of the year and then as soon as the going got tough; Lavi panicked.

Poorest coaching by him since he joined us.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Bailing on Bob after he had one of the best rookie seasons in recent Flyer history will likely bite us in the rear.

Kid was unstoppable for 3/4 of the year and then as soon as the going got tough; Lavi panicked.

Poorest coaching by him since he joined us.
Bob saying he wasn't ready emotionally for the playoffs was probably a big factor.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'm not convinced at all that Bob has the mental endurance to make it through a whole season. Coaches talk about how incredibly hard he works, then when he drops off after the halfway point it makes me wonder if he burned himself out. It makes me think he actually works too hard and puts too much pressure on himself. Of course, this is all conjecture and armchair psychiatry.

Closed Thread