HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Minnesota Wild's minor league system the envy of the NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 6,930
vCash: 500
Minnesota Wild's minor league system the envy of the NHL

*
Although many people in and around the world of hockey were negatively affected by the 2012 NHL lockout, the Minnesota Wild was no doubt one team that saw a silver lining. With a cluster of players around the same age needing a developmental year or three in the AHL, the lockout saved the team from hard personnel decisions while also giving these young players a great opportunity to learn to play the pro game together at a high level of competition.



While Mikael Granlund is a lead-pipe cinch to stick with the Wild now that the season is underway, there was some good learning and team-building going on down in Houston. read more



More...


Last edited by Ken McKenna: 01-21-2013 at 12:57 PM.
HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:14 AM
  #2
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
*
Although many people in and around the world of hockey were negatively affected by the 2012 NHL lockout, the Minnesota Wild was no doubt one team that saw a silver lining. With a cluster of players around the same age needing a developmental year or three in the AHL, the lockout saved the team from hard personnel decisions while also giving these young players a great opportunity to learn to play the pro game together at a high level of competition.



While Mikael Granlund is a lead-pipe cinch to stick with the Wild now that the season is underway, there was some good learning and team-building going on down in Houston. read more



More...
And next year it might be in Des Moines or Duluth if the Aeros can't renew their lease in Houston. I can't bring myself to hope that Aeros fans lose their team, but if it happens anyway, I'd surely like the Wild's AHL team to be in daytrip range of the cities.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
  #3
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Where in the world would the Aeros play in Duluth?
Amsoil is already used by two College teams (UMD men and women) on the weekends, and it hosts highschool section tourneys too, and I really don't think the Aeros would spring to play at the DECC.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
  #4
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,417
vCash: 500
Got a nice top line but the rest of the Aeros are pretty awful.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
  #5
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Where in the world would the Aeros play in Duluth?
Amsoil is already used by two College teams (UMD men and women) on the weekends, and it hosts highschool section tourneys too, and I really don't think the Aeros would spring to play at the DECC.
Yeah, I forgot about AHL concentration on weekends. Well, one can dream. . . Des Moines wouldn't be terrible. Does Rochester have a big enough barn?

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
  #6
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Rochester does not have a big enough barn tho there might be one they could upgrade to add more seating capacity to.

I don't see why we don't move them to Bloomington, it would be a stone throw form the air port, any time we're at home a call up could be a car ride away.

My personal favorite would be a relocation to Edina with them changing the team name to Cake Eaters

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:30 AM
  #7
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Rochester does not have a big enough barn tho there might be one they could upgrade to add more seating capacity to.

I don't see why we don't move them to Bloomington, it would be a stone throw form the air port, any time we're at home a call up could be a car ride away.

My personal favorite would be a relocation to Edina with them changing the team name to Cake Eaters
Let's flood that amusement park in the bottom of MoA and let 'em play there. . .

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #8
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Let's flood that amusement park in the bottom of MoA and let 'em play there. . .
careful now you might just give MoA an actual attraction...

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
  #9
Nsjohnson
Registered User
 
Nsjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
careful now you might just give MoA an actual attraction...
Bahaha this. I would die if Houston moved to Bloomington. I live down France ave. about ten minutes from BIG.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  #10
Moscowitz
Registered User
 
Moscowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Iowa
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
And next year it might be in Des Moines or Duluth if the Aeros can't renew their lease in Houston. I can't bring myself to hope that Aeros fans lose their team, but if it happens anyway, I'd surely like the Wild's AHL team to be in daytrip range of the cities.
I won't lie - I'd be pretty pumped to have the Aeros in Iowa...

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
  #11
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscowitz View Post
I won't lie - I'd be pretty pumped to have the Aeros in Iowa...
What's the facility like in Des Moines?

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
  #12
Moscowitz
Registered User
 
Moscowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Iowa
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
What's the facility like in Des Moines?
Not sure. Never been there... Des Moines is still a two hour drive (takes me 2.5 hours to get to MSP) so I rarely visit. Still, would be nice to have the Iowa connection... We do have some very good quality youth hockey here in Northeastern Iowa.

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:26 PM
  #13
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_F...na_(Des_Moines)

Not bad, actually...

I think my company keeps a suite there, too.



Seats 15,181 for hockey.

Which is a few seats larger than the MTS Center: 15,004

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
  #14
Moscowitz
Registered User
 
Moscowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Iowa
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_F...na_(Des_Moines)

Not bad, actually...

I think my company keeps a suite there, too.



Seats 15,181 for hockey.

Which is a few seats larger than the MTS Center: 15,004
I'll make it a point to visit for a game. We follow the USHL quite closely here in Iowa.

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  #15
PRo0902
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
What's the facility like in Des Moines?
Wells Fargo Arena is actually a pretty nice facility. It was built relatively recently and it's the go-to building for concerts, state tourneys, etc. but it seems like they have struggled to find a permanent tenant. I went to school down there when the Iowa Stars were Dallas's AHL affiliate, and it was actually pretty nice place to watch a game. The problem is that there is little to no fan support down there. Des Moines is a football and basketball city that doesn't get in to hockey at all. They had the Stars for a bit, then the Iowa Chops (I believe an Anaheim affiliate), but they just didn't draw any crowds. The Des Moines Bucs of the USHL do pretty well, but they play in what would be a subpar HS arena in MN, and those games are more about cheap beer and a party atmosphere than the actual hockey.

I would love it if the Aeros were there since I really enjoy Des Moines and it would be fun to catch a game and spend a weekend down there, but unless Wild fans make a big difference, I'm not sure it's sustainable.

*Edit: The arena is also really nicely located -- just off of 235, a couple blocks from Court Avenue (the main bar/nightlife district downtown).

PRo0902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  #16
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
I don't know average Aeros attendance recently, but I saw an article from 2004 that said average attendance was around 5,400 at that time (in the hockey hotbed of Houston, of course).

Edit: Found it. For 2012-2013, averaging ~6.6k

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
  #17
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRo0902 View Post
Wells Fargo Arena is actually a pretty nice facility. It was built relatively recently and it's the go-to building for concerts, state tourneys, etc. but it seems like they have struggled to find a permanent tenant. I went to school down there when the Iowa Stars were Dallas's AHL affiliate, and it was actually pretty nice place to watch a game. The problem is that there is little to no fan support down there. Des Moines is a football and basketball city that doesn't get in to hockey at all. They had the Stars for a bit, then the Iowa Chops (I believe an Anaheim affiliate), but they just didn't draw any crowds. The Des Moines Bucs of the USHL do pretty well, but they play in what would be a subpar HS arena in MN, and those games are more about cheap beer and a party atmosphere than the actual hockey.

I would love it if the Aeros were there since I really enjoy Des Moines and it would be fun to catch a game and spend a weekend down there, but unless Wild fans make a big difference, I'm not sure it's sustainable.

*Edit: The arena is also really nicely located -- just off of 235, a couple blocks from Court Avenue (the main bar/nightlife district downtown).
Thanks for the report.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
  #18
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,790
vCash: 500
Houston is far, but the Wild like that they can get a flight to pretty much anywhere in the continent everyday.

Des Moines, not so much.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.