HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: Part X Rated Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Asher

vCash: 500
That I didn't know. And frankly, I don't get the reasoning behind it. Well, that definitely changes things. Maybe the Flyers could get Pronger off their cap payroll? I certainly believe Philly is in the mix (when aren't they?) and Luongo is mostly certainly an upgrade they could use.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
According to that interview, assuming Gillis is being honest, you can cross us, TO, Philly, Chicago off the list. All have been linked to previous RL rumours.
Quote:
In the interview Gillis says "it isn't who anybody thinks it is". Philly has been mentioned as a possible destination for a while, hence why it isn't likely to be them. Again, assuming Gillis is being honest.
I'm pretty sure that comment was only meant to suggest that it wasn't Toronto, not that it wasn't anyone who has ever been mentioned as a potential trade partner.

01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
That I didn't know. And frankly, I don't get the reasoning behind it. Well, that definitely changes things. Maybe the Flyers could get Pronger off their cap payroll? I certainly believe Philly is in the mix (when aren't they?) and Luongo is mostly certainly an upgrade they could use.
Pronger can't be bought out because he is injured. PHI is screwed with Pronger's contract. They will have to keep the cap hit and then put in on LTIR likely for the rest of the contract. (If he retires at any point before the contract finishes, they are even more screwed).

Old
01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Nucks would be trading one of their strengths away... their depth in net so I hope they do it.

I know if the Oilers had a duo of Luongo/Schneider, I certainly wouldn't want them trading one away. Hard enough to find one good goalie... never mind a great starter and a very good backup. They don't even know if Schneider can take the heat and be a solid starter.

Wouldn't a more sensible strategy be to play them 50/50 in starts for one season to see what the results are before they go all in on Schneider? Especially in this shortened season that seems like a logical idea.

From an Oiler's fan perspective I think they weaken their team by trading him away so I'm all for it but it seems more an emotional move than logical from their management.
Except Luongo asked to be traded. I know he's been the good soldier thusfa -- I was surprised he came to camp at all -- but I don't think he expects to be there all year. If Gillis told him to stay another year he might just walk out on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Pronger can't be bought out because he is injured. PHI is screwed with Pronger's contract. They will have to keep the cap hit and then put in on LTIR likely for the rest of the contract.
And they can't do that right now? Wasn't that the plan when they tried to get Weber?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'm pretty sure that comment was only meant to suggest that it wasn't Toronto, not that it wasn't anyone who has ever been mentioned as a potential trade partner.
Well maybe. But he did say "it's not who anybody thinks it is". I would think if he was just singling TO out he'd have said "it's not who everybody thinks it is"

Of course he also could just be trying to drum up some interest in RL after the offers cooled off. I could see him trying some Burke style media manipulation.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
My uneducated guess is Tampa Bay.
That is my guess as well.

01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2656
Does COL make sense something around RoR? Can never have enough center depth.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I would hate that trade if it happened. Sedin, Kesler, ROR as their top 3 centers would eat our team alive.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Can anyone tell me if the CBA included the "If a team who signed a player beyond 8 years in a contract before the new CBA, if that player get's traded to another team, the team that signed him to that contract eats his salary on their cap if he retires"?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Asher

Quote:
If you for Luongo I'd say no, not at all. For one thing, the Nucks want him out of the Conference. There's no way they'd trade him within the division. Secondly, these aren't the Avs of 10-15 year ago. They're one of the stingier teams in the league when it comes to money.

Old
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Can anyone tell me if the CBA included the "If a team who signed a player beyond 8 years in a contract before the new CBA, if that player get's traded to another team, the team that signed him to that contract eats his salary on their cap if he retires"?
Sure did, dont know the exact wording, but MSM called it the Luongo rule lol

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 2656
Kent Huskins to sign with Detroit.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
You think this?

Is a playoff line-up? Really?
so we somehow lose Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabi and Paajarvi for Benn ...

No I meant our current lineup plus a top flight rental

Old
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Bolts aren't moving Lecavalier, he's an institution in the city and too important as the face of the franchise.

Old
Petro Points

Quote:
The last team COL would deal ROR would be to the up and coming divisional rivals..

Old
jsho

I think Gillis is beyond stupid for the way hes going about this Luongo situation. Going to the media and telling them.......

"We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have -- and it's not who anybody thinks it is -- and so we have to wait."

Stringing along both your goalies, your franchise and your fans like this is ridiculous. Saying "I have a trade" to the media is ridiculous. Stating stuff like this during the offseason is one thing, but doing it during the season while the player is still dressing for you every night is ********.

Either announce Luongo will be traded, and let Schneider be the #1. Or announce Luongo will be remain with the team this year. I'm sure this circus is such a distraction in the locker room.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Asher

Quote:
Well maybe. But he did say "it's not who anybody thinks it is". I would think if he was just singling TO out he'd have said "it's not who everybody thinks it is"

Of course he also could just be trying to drum up some interest in RL after the offers cooled off. I could see him trying some Burke style media manipulation.
Gillis comes across as pretty uncouth to me. No, I wouldn't put it past him at all to lie. Stauffer has said he's heard nothing about rumors to EDM and that the Nucks have created the rumors to try and increase their asking price for Lui. I believe Bob on this one. Gillis is not a man of principle. Let's not forget this is the same guy who did the whole signing with Nylander and then went out and signed another deal with the Caps.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
alphahelix

Bobby Mac reporting that Kent Huskins will sign 1 year 1 way deal with Detroit today.

In my personal viewing experience, Huskins is an excellent defender. I'm surprised he was out of contract this long, and won't be at all surprised if he is seen as a big plus on the D D at the end of the season. He is better than some of our players.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Nucks would be trading one of their strengths away... their depth in net so I hope they do it.

I know if the Oilers had a duo of Luongo/Schneider, I certainly wouldn't want them trading one away. Hard enough to find one good goalie... never mind a great starter and a very good backup. They don't even know if Schneider can take the heat and be a solid starter.

Wouldn't a more sensible strategy be to play them 50/50 in starts for one season to see what the results are before they go all in on Schneider? Especially in this shortened season that seems like a logical idea.

From an Oiler's fan perspective I think they weaken their team by trading him away so I'm all for it but it seems more an emotional move than logical from their management.
Every goalie pro or amateur wants to start. Neither guy would be happy as a backup no matter what they say on camera about being besties. Every moment Lou stays in Van city is good for the rest of the NW division. Look what has happened in 2 games, let's hope this distraction lasts 20 games.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
so we somehow lose Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabi and Paajarvi for Benn ...

No I meant our current lineup plus a top flight rental
Yep, here is his post prior to that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers can sign Benn and not lose any of the other players.

Bring in Benn

get rid of

Whitney/Horcoff/Hemsky/Gagner/Khabibulin

Oilers gain close to 21 Million in cap space.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I don't think it's Philly. They already have one big goalie contract on the books, and while replacing that player with Luongo would be an upgrade, I'm not sure what they have for trade.

I'm confused as to who it could be. I'm assuming it will be an Eastern team, I'm assuming it will be one without a concrete solution in goal. One with pieces to give up.

01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I don't think it's Philly. They already have one big goalie contract on the books, and while replacing that player with Luongo would be an upgrade, I'm not sure what they have for trade.

I'm confused as to who it could be. I'm assuming it will be an Eastern team, I'm assuming it will be one without a concrete solution in goal. One with pieces to give up.
And it won't be Winnipeg, since they're coming west when the re-alignment goes through... Maybe even into the NW Division.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
NewBoysClub97
All-Star

100% bluff to me in regards to Gillis. They have made a gong show and screwed this up big time. Gillis want to hit a home run. What he doe snot realize is getting rid of that contract is a home run in itself.

He is trying to pressure on TO, etc and say there is a trade on the table. He does not have anything.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

The guys on hockeycentral were speculating about Washington being a possible candidate if Caps Management don't have faith in Holtby/Neuvirth

Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Bryanbryoil

So if you're Luongo how do you feel about this crap? If it's a done deal then it's done, if not shut the hell up so that you aren't distracting your players.

Closed Thread