HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Most of these kids all play center at some point in juniors and in any other type of pee wee hockey simply because they are the best players on the team. Many are considered 'natural' centers. As they get older, enter the professional ranks, and competition for positions tightens, many of these kids shift to wing quite easily If a kid is talented enough to handle the responsibilities of a center and has the talent of a top-5 overall pick, they usually have the ability to slide over to the wing... Bailey was considered a 'natural' center when drafted and has looked better at wing. Brock Nelson and Johan Sundstrom, both recent high draft picks have bounced between center and wing. Mackinnon has great speed, doesnt shy away from contact and has a righty shot. That righty shot of his would look great on Tavares' wing. If the Islanders feel he is more talented than Drouin, I wouldnt choose Drouin because he's a winger.. Its easier for a center to be converted to winner than vice versa. Choose the forward with more talent. The exact position will work itself out later.
Drouin is actually a center who has shifted to wing with Halifax.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Most of these kids all play center at some point in juniors and in any other type of pee wee hockey simply because they are the best players on the team. Many are considered 'natural' centers. As they get older, enter the professional ranks, and competition for positions tightens, many of these kids shift to wing quite easily If a kid is talented enough to handle the responsibilities of a center and has the talent of a top-5 overall pick, they usually have the ability to slide over to the wing... Bailey was considered a 'natural' center when drafted and has looked better at wing. Brock Nelson and Johan Sundstrom, both recent high draft picks have bounced between center and wing. Mackinnon has great speed, doesnt shy away from contact and has a righty shot. That righty shot of his would look great on Tavares' wing. If the Islanders feel he is more talented than Drouin, I wouldnt choose Drouin because he's a winger.. Its easier for a center to be converted to winner than vice versa. Choose the forward with more talent. The exact position will work itself out later.
It's an interesting subject. First let me say the way to go is best available. Agree, if MacKinnon's BPA when Isles pick so be it. Far as centers moving to wing each case is different. Nelson was so dominant at C in high school better than everyone else. At North Dakota he blossomed on the wing. He's back a C for Bridgeport but this just an opinion-he looks more like a goal scoring wing, he's not
really a so called playmaker. Nothing wrong player learning playing center then later figuring out the best position for him. Ullstrom played C in the WJC a few years ago but he too seems to be suited as a goal scoring wing. First I want so say I'm a big Sundstrom fan.Last year in the WJC he played wing. He's playing center for Bridgeport and the great thing about him he can fill any forward
position and play them all well with no loss in production.

Besides being rushed, Bailey's skill set is way over rated. He was on a upcoming Windsor team
with Taylor Hall on his line, it raised his point totals. All Bailey projected to me was a solid two way player, someone who should not be picked before 15. For example, Ryan Strome's skills blows Bailey's away, which is why I see him as a center-at least for now.

Center-wing an interesting debate-in most cases to be determined.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-20-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
So who is going to replace Streit on the powerplay? I understand he didn't look good yesterday but it was one game. I highly doubt Streit is going to get dealt at the deadline unless he states he will not be resigning. This guy is our captain and our only true offensive defenseman.
If Streit doesn't start improving his defensive game he is a liability on the ice. He was awful defensively most of last season, and he is getting old. I think its fair to say he has regressed each and every year he has been here. He just isn't the same dynamic offensive defenseman he was in 2008-2009.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
If Streit doesn't start improving his defensive game he is a liability on the ice. He was awful defensively most of last season, and he is getting old. I think its fair to say he has regressed each and every year he has been here. He just isn't the same dynamic offensive defenseman he was in 2008-2009.
I don't think Streit will ever be what he was when he first got here, but he is still a quality NHL defenseman. He's probably best off as a #3, but he's the best we've got in terms of offensive production from the blue line. He's never had a strong partner to help him out either. Unless the wheels completely fall off (I doubt that), I think it would be unwise to cut him loose. We don't have anyone to fill his spot and we certainly won't find an upgrade via the Free Agent market.

Streit probably has a couple of good seasons left in him, let him be phased out naturally as our vaunted prospects start to push him down the depth chart. Unfortunately, that won't happen for probably another 2 years at the earliest. Adding Jones would certainly be a boon for the franchise, Streit is still going to be needed as a possible bridge.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I don't think Streit will ever be what he was when he first got here, but he is still a quality NHL defenseman. He's probably best off as a #3, but he's the best we've got in terms of offensive production from the blue line. He's never had a strong partner to help him out either. Unless the wheels completely fall off (I doubt that), I think it would be unwise to cut him loose. We don't have anyone to fill his spot and we certainly won't find an upgrade via the Free Agent market.

Streit probably has a couple of good seasons left in him, let him be phased out naturally as our vaunted prospects start to push him down the depth chart. Unfortunately, that won't happen for probably another 2 years at the earliest. Adding Jones would certainly be a boon for the franchise, Streit is still going to be needed as a possible bridge.
Good post. People are being way too hard on Streit after one rough game to start the year. I agree he's probably more of a #3 at this point, but I think he's better suited with a bigger defensive d-man playing next to him. I honestly think Reinhart would be a good option next year to play with Streit. Assuming he's re-signed.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Sasha Barkov would put a massive smile my face. Haven't seen Monahan, lets hope we get a top four pick.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin 36 View Post
Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Sasha Barkov would put a massive smile my face. Haven't seen Monahan, lets hope we get a top four pick.
It looks like a strong draft, anything in the top-10 should be solid.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I do agree that he has a couple decent seasons left. I do think he needs to play with a mobile defensive defenseman, MacDonald is the best we have in that department IMO. However is it worth splitting up Hamonic-MacDonald? Im not quite sure. Hypothetically we could have Dehaan in our lineup and someone like Seth Jones if we are as bad as I think we will be. That could ease Streit into the bottom pairing playing sheltered minutes as soon as the 2014-2015 season.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
It's an interesting subject. First let me say the way to go is best available. Agree, if MacKinnon's BPA when Isles pick so be it. Far as centers moving to wing each case is different. Nelson was so dominant at C in high school better than everyone else. At North Dakota he blossomed on the wing. He's back a C for Bridgeport but this just an opinion-he looks more like a goal scoring wing, he's not
really a so called playmaker. Nothing wrong player learning playing center then later figuring out the best position for him. Ullstrom played C in the WJC a few years ago but he too seems to be suited as a goal scoring wing. First I want so say I'm a big Sundstrom fan.Last year in the WJC he played wing. He's playing center for Bridgeport and the great thing about him he can fill any forward
position and play them all well with no loss in production.

Besides being rushed, Bailey's skill set is way over rated. He was on a upcoming Windsor team
with Taylor Hall on his line, it raised his point totals. All Bailey projected to me was a solid two way player, someone who should not be picked before 15. For example, Ryan Strome's skills blows Bailey's away, which is why I see him as a center-at least for now.

Center-wing an interesting debate-in most cases to be determined.
Well said. There is also quite a bit of putting the cart before the horse in these discussions. If MacKinnon is the BPA at our spot you take him and consider yourself lucky that you didn't suck in a bad draft year. If you need him to play wing for a few years so be it, he will still dominate. He won't suffer from it, and just might flourish Ala Guy LaFleur. Damphousse was another guy who could play top line wing or center.

I think the draft this year could see a dilema for whomever picks first. Even if Jones presents as the top pick, it is still deemed risky as defensemen don't pan out as well vs forwards when going top ten. I could see MacKinnon going first because of that.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Well said. There is also quite a bit of putting the cart before the horse in these discussions. If MacKinnon is the BPA at our spot you take him and consider yourself lucky that you didn't suck in a bad draft year. If you need him to play wing for a few years so be it, he will still dominate. He won't suffer from it, and just might flourish Ala Guy LaFleur. Damphousse was another guy who could play top line wing or center.

I think the draft this year could see a dilema for whomever picks first. Even if Jones presents as the top pick, it is still deemed risky as defensemen don't pan out as well vs forwards when going top ten. I could see MacKinnon going first because of that.
There will always be second guessing when you have 2 players that legitimately deserve to be drafted #1. It's definitely interesting that you have a potential #1C vs. a potential #1D pitted against eachother - the 2 most valued positions. The top-5 looks really good this year.

This draft is unlike those that featured a runaway #1, thankfully the 2009 draft was like that. I'd be psyched as hell to get the #2 pick, you take who wasn't selected and you can't really lose.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

Thanks. I think Jones is special enough to be drafted ahead of the forwards this year, as a rule if it's even like you say, take the forward.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:38 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2S7HID7rEc

Good little TSN profile on Seth Jones. More about how he grew to like hockey then a scouting report. Interesting clip. We can thank Mike Modano and Joe Sakic.

and this second video is of Craig Button comparing Seth Jones and Ryan Pulock in about 5 different categories (only 3 minutes long)... Good stuff.... Pulock sure looks like a dynamite consolation prize!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJuofwfILM

Last edited by petrocelli: 01-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
scott99

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2S7HID7rEc

Good little TSN profile on Seth Jones. More about how he grew to like hockey then a scouting report. Interesting clip. We can thank Mike Modano and Joe Sakic.

and this second video is of Craig Button comparing Seth Jones and Ryan Pulock in about 5 different categories (only 3 minutes long)... Good stuff.... Pulock sure looks like a dynamite consolation prize!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJuofwfILM
I REALLY like Ryan Pulock, he's that true offensive d-man that we are missing besides Matt Donovan. Also good defensively. I would love winding up with him. BUT, if we wind up in the top five, I want Seth Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin or Barkov, that's my top 4 in order. I think we wind up with one of them, because our current roster warrants a top 5 pick. If we wind up 10-15, Pulock would be a nice pick.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I REALLY like Ryan Pulock, he's that true offensive d-man that we are missing besides Matt Donovan. Also good defensively. I would love winding up with him. BUT, if we wind up in the top five, I want Seth Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin or Barkov, that's my top 4 in order. I think we wind up with one of them, because our current roster warrants a top 5 pick. If we wind up 10-15, Pulock would be a nice pick.
Although the top 5-picks look too good with Seth Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov Monahan and Lindholm (that's actually 7 players), too take a defenseman not named Jones, Ryan Pulock and Rasmus Ristolainen are VERY good prospects only a notch behind Seth Jones. I would love either of these two kids somewhere in the 5-10 range. Considering Streit isn't getting any younger and isn't signed beyond this season, we need to replace his offense and PP abilities. Reinhart will be a good defenseman, maybe even a top pairing defenseman, but he is more of an all-around defenseman that plays more of a shut-down style than a true offensive D-man. Pulock sure looks good running the point on the power play and has a booming shot. Ristolainen brings some serious puck moving abilities and a strong shot from the point in a 6'3 200+ pound package. Either one of these two kids would look great paired up with Reinhart or Hamonic on one of our top two pairings as well as on the power play.
Hopefully Matt Donovan is ready next year and shows some ability to lead the rush and power play from the back end regardless of whether we land one of these defensemen.

As I said, Jones is the only D-man I'd take in the top-5 because those forwards I listed...... But knowing the top-10 is so strong with those 7 forwards and Pulock, Ristolainen joining Seth Jones to round out the top-10, there is less pressure to be one of the worst 2 or 3 players in the league. We can battle for a playoff spot and still land one of those 10 kids!!

Old
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
steveat

Who is Seth most compared to as far as style of the way he plays?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Degeneration Rex

Here is a d man to keep in mind if the Islanders draft in the 7-15 range.
Darnel Nurse, big tough and skilled who plays for Sault Ste. Marie.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Here is a d man to keep in mind if the Islanders draft in the 7-15 range.
Darnel Nurse, big tough and skilled who plays for Sault Ste. Marie.
I love Nurse...Big, skilled, and plays with an edge...

Plus with all the injured players are this team it would be nice to have a Nurse around.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I love Nurse...Big, skilled, and plays with an edge...

Plus with all the injured players are this team it would be nice to have a Nurse around.
You are not going to believe this.About 10 years ago, I had a student who's real name
was Oral Nurse. No kidding.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
thom

Good point people forget Lafleur played out of position in his first 3 seasons.Lafleur scored 3 hat tricks in his rookie season despite playing 3rd and 4th line as a center.Bowman nearly wrecked Lafleur's career.The late Rick Martin's career was destroyed by Bowman when he was forced to play despite having a bad knee.As for Jones he's the real thing I'v seen him play several times.He needs to improve a bit offence but he can really hit

Old
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Who is Seth most compared to as far as style of the way he plays?
I've heard a lot of people compare Jones to former Kings d-man Rob Blake. Blake was a great d-man for many years, won a Norris Trophy or two also.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I've heard a lot of people compare Jones to former Kings d-man Rob Blake. Blake was a great d-man for many years, won a Norris Trophy or two also.
From what I've seen of jones that's a pretty good comparison

Old
01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Not enough love for Elias Lindholm in this thread. After MacKinnon and Jones, he might be my favorite prospect in this draft. Kid seems like the total package.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
bomberslocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Not enough love for Elias Lindholm in this thread. After MacKinnon and Jones, he might be my favorite prospect in this draft. Kid seems like the total package.
He might look real good as JT's rw in a couple of years.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Agreed. I think Jones and Lindholm are 1 and 2. Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov 3-4-5.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:04 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Agreed. I think Jones and Lindholm are 1 and 2. Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov 3-4-5.
Barkov LEADS HIS TEAM IN SCORING ! He's playing against men in Finland. Do you realize how incredble that is. He's got guys that are 35 years old on the team for Pete's sake. I think the second leading scoreer on the team is 35, or more than twice his age ! He also had a solid WJHC. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go 4th overall behind Jones, Mackinnon & Drouin. Then again, Grigorenko went 12th, when he was rated in the top 5.

Closed Thread