HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller already in the doghouse?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Habit11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
While I don't exactly agree with scratching Eller, it makes more sense to scratch a young player who doesn't have a bug impact on the team than a top-six forward, even if he did play a little bit better than some. In order to give young kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher a chance to play, I would much rather scratch Eller than DD or Plek.

Yes, DD and Plek didn't play well, but scratching an established top-six player would be huge news, and not in a good way. It is much more common to scratch young players for lack of intensity than veterans for the same reason; you just don't see teams scratching a top-six forward to make room for a player on a short stint with the club.
Why not scratch White and move Eller down?

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
People are mad here because Eller plays third line minutes. Imagine if he would be on fourth line. This place would go crazy.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Would make too much sense.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
While I don't exactly agree with scratching Eller, it makes more sense to scratch a young player who doesn't have a big impact on the team than a top-six forward, even if he did play a little bit better than some. In order to give young kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher a chance to play, I would much rather scratch Eller than DD or Plek.

Yes, DD and Plek didn't play well, but scratching an established top-six player would be huge news, and not in a good way. It is much more common to scratch young players for lack of intensity than veterans for the same reason; you just don't see teams scratching a top-six forward to make room for a player on a short stint with the club.
DD has had one season as a regular top-six player, I'm not sure I'd call that established. I wouldn't dismiss last years top scoring line right away but it's time to stop pretending they accomplished some great things.

And for all the questions, it already is established that Eller is the bottom 6's best scorer until Galchenyuk or Gallagher provide otherwise in a bottom 6 role.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Because White does what he has to do. Why would you scratch somebody that does his job well? White aint there to score goals. Hes there to bring energy on the 4th line of this team.

Eller's job, is to setup his teammates and create plays. Hes playing third line minutes, hes facing third liners oppositions. And hes doing -most of the time-: nothing. Yeah, hes not damaging the team either. But nothing, is nothing. Eller have never been scratched before, and its a good thing, he lives it. Gallagher will produce tonight. You'll see. Why cant he have his chance, too? Its the beginning of the season. Eller will be back. Be patient god dammnit.

Eventually Gallagher and Galchenyuk will run this team offense with MaxPac. I'm going to the Bell Centre tonight, and I'm really happy to see Gallagher live in his first NHL game. He'll be dynamite.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Andy

No offense, White is the most overrated player on these boards. I forgot he even played on Saturday. Was completely invisible.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Because White does what he has to do. Why would you scratch somebody that does his job well? White aint there to score goals. Hes there to bring energy on the 4th line of this team.

Eller's job, is to setup his teammates and create plays. Hes playing third line minutes, hes facing third liners oppositions. And hes doing -most of the time-: nothing. Yeah, hes not damaging the team either. But nothing, is nothing. Eller have never been scratched before, and its a good thing, he lives it. Gallagher will produce tonight. You'll see. Why cant he have his chance, too? Its the beginning of the season. Eller will be back. Be patient god dammnit.

Eventually Gallagher and Galchenyuk will run this team offense with MaxPac. I'm going to the Bell Centre tonight, and I'm really happy to see Gallagher live in his first NHL game. He'll be dynamite.
Wait, third lines are meant to be offensive lines? Than why does Eller get the most difficult defensive assignments of any center besides Plekanec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
No offense, White is the most overrated player on these boards. I forgot he even played on Saturday. Was completely invisible.
White has promise, but he's not even as good a fighter as Prust and Moen right now. Actually, for all the hype our newfound energy, "character" players gets, only Prust was specifically impressive. White, Moen and Armstrong were MIA.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

White went 80% of faceoffs vs the Leafs, Eller went 50%

and since White is the only right hand shot, not a good idea to sit him for Eller, maybe Armstrong sits and White plays RW and takes draws.

Last edited by habs03: 01-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
While I generally agree about White, I thought he played well Saturday and that our fourth line was by far our best.

Instead of looking for someone else to scratch in place of Eller...why not just keep the lineup the same? Get all the looks at different players/combos in practice. Let your main, core line-up at least play more than 1 game together before you start moving things around. Just my take.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
I agree. But we set the bar so low for him that it's okay. And he's not expensive and his a 4th liner. That's the reasoning here.

And about Eller, pretty harsh to scratch him after just one game. We all say players are out of shape so what gives? Eller the whipping boy? Serving as an example for everyone else? Why not give him a warning and if he doesn't step up, scratch him after the 2nd or 3rd game.

(For the record I found Eller lost out there on Saturday. But still...)

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
The fourth line played well on Saturday.
Talking about invisible, the whole 1st line was pretty much invisible the whole game. But sure, scratch the guy who plays 5 minutes a game and does his job well.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:07 PM
muzion

Eller played an awful 1st period but he got better as the game went along. They showed on Le 5 à 7 some of his best moments and I gotta say, he was better than DD and Plekanec. He was strong on the puck and cycled the puck well. He even moved the puck along in the neutral zone, something he was inconsistent in doing last year.

We're facing an injury-riddled team on a back-to-back. Therrien is looking to put his youngsters in a position to look good. I like the fact he's doing that, but not at the expense of Eller.

Last edited by muzion: 01-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
he was better than DD and Plekanec.
this

Old
01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
The fourth line played well on Saturday.
Talking about invisible, the whole 1st line was pretty much invisible the whole game. But sure, scratch the guy who plays 5 minutes a game and does his job well.
that's usually how it works for 4th liners. White shouldnt be the exception.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
this
Seriously, dude! Change your avatar already!

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Seriously, dude! Change your avatar already!
also this

Old
01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:

Eller got benched a game last year with P.K.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Znthnk

Management has little time to evaluate Galchenyuk, and the fourth line played well. I don't see this as a big deal or some impediment to Eller's development. If Gallagher plays well, probably Armstrong or White sit next. Therien has to see what he's got, and right now it's a hybrid training camp/regular season for the next few games. Give the coach some time to assess his team..

Znthnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Maverik

I don't necessaraly disagree. Eller hasn't shined YET in Montreal. If Gallagher and Galchenyuk end up overshadowing him, he will be on his way out of Montreal soon enough. He's not a 4th liner, he's the odd man out if these guys shine, so might as well light a fire under his ass by benching him.

It will either tell us that:
1) Gallagher is a player, then Eller is out
2) Light the fuse that will elevate Eller to his potential

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Habit11

Scratching Eller means one of DD/Galchenyuk/White will have to face 2nd best opposition and assume his defensive responsibilities. Scratching Eller leaves a void to be filled. I get that it's probably just one game, but I don't get the logic.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
SnapVirus

In the best world we'd see:

Pacioretty - dd - cole
Bourque - plekanec - gionta
Eller - galchenyuk - gallagher
Prust/white/moen/armstrong

That way we'd have the 3 kids together.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Habtchum*

Even if I think that Eller got some flaws in his play and should be able to adapt to play on wing sometimes, I still prefer have him in the lineup than some raw 5'7" rookie winger. The team is already darn small. Why make it smaller and lighter ?

I did not think we would have as many nightmares as last season... With Eller and PK out of the line up and Leblanc creepling and struggling in the Minors, I think we gonna have a looonnnng (shortened) season.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Optimus Price

Quote:

Pacioretty - dd - cole

That's what I'd love to see. I think if we're gonna keep Gally at center we should move Eller back to LW.

Optimus Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:

Pacioretty - dd - cole

In the best world we'd see DD being traded and having one of Eller or Gally taking the #2 center spot.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
In the best world we'd see DD being traded and having one of Eller or Gally taking the #2 center spot.
Yeah. Trade your only center with some vision and passing skills...

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote