HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 06:27 AM
  #651
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Unlike, say, the 'Kessel trade' which is inarguably the worst atrocity in human history. I literally would not be surprised if the international court of justice went after Burke.
Thank you for that.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  #652
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
I'll never understand this 'richness' argument. It's completely irrelevant.
Spending $16 million more in players than a substantial amount of the competition is 'irrelevent'?

Spending dramatically more than any other team on scouting is 'irrelevent'?

Having a ridiculously more expensive front office of elite execs is 'irrelevant'?

I'm goin to give you the benefit of the doubt an assume that you don't know what the word 'irrelevent' means.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
  #653
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Spending $16 million more in players than a substantial amount of the competition is 'irrelevent'?

Spending dramatically more than any other team on scouting is 'irrelevent'?

Having a ridiculously more expensive front office of elite execs is 'irrelevant'?

I'm goin to give you the benefit of the doubt an assume that you don't know what the word 'irrelevent' means.
1) They spend $16 million more than no one.
2) Would you rather them spend less on scouting?
3) Would you rather them spend less on office execs?

I'm 'goin' to assume that it's past your bed time.

Yosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
  #654
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
I'm 'goin' to assume that it's past your bed time.
Some GM's are given a budget of near the cap basement.
The leafs gm is given a budget of the cap ceiling.

So I reiterate (and I'm SHOCKED that I need to do this because it's such common sense) that the leads have a 16 million advantage over a substantial amount of the competition.

And I'm GLAD that mlse lets the leafs spend more on scouting.
And I'm GLAD that mlse let's the leads spend more on their front office.

It's not mlse that I'm mad at.

IT'S THE ****ING G ****ING M'S!!!!!

They have SOOO MANY MORE ADVANTAGES than many other gms.

WHY CAN'T THEY CAPITALIZE ON THEM???

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:47 AM
  #655
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,296
vCash: 500

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:47 AM
  #656
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
1) They spend $16 million more than no one.
2) Would you rather them spend less on scouting?
3) Would you rather them spend less on office execs?

I'm 'goin' to assume that it's past your bed time.
You switched your argument from 'the leafs don't have a financial advantage'
to
'would you rather the leads not have a financial advantage?'

Do you believe that tha is a mature way to argue a point?

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
  #657
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Some GM's are given a budget of near the cap basement.
The leafs gm is given a budget of the cap ceiling.

So I reiterate (and I'm SHOCKED that I need to do this because it's such common sense) that the leads have a 16 million advantage over a substantial amount of the competition.

And I'm GLAD that mlse lets the leafs spend more on scouting.
And I'm GLAD that mlse let's the leads spend more on their front office.

It's not mlse that I'm mad at.

IT'S THE ****ING G ****ING M'S!!!!!

They have SOOO MANY MORE ADVANTAGES than many other gms.

WHY CAN'T THEY CAPITALIZE ON THEM???
Again, they spend $16 million more than no one. I get your point about the GM's though, and I'm not disputing the horrendous failures over the past 7-8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
You switched your argument from 'the leafs don't have a financial advantage'
to
'would you rather the leads not have a financial advantage?'

Do you believe that tha is a mature way to argue a point?
I didn't change my argument at all. The only financial advantage the Leafs have is the non-cap related spending. Every team has to play by the cap rules. It's parity, and it's why we don't see dynasties anymore. There are no advantages on the financial side of the game. This isn't baseball - we aren't the Yankees.

Yosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
  #658
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Factually incorrect.
The leafs won the cup the year PREVIOUS to the blues joining the league. So they both share the same humiliating drought of 44 years.
Nope. The Leafs were Stanley Cup champs until March 31, 1968. Look it up if you want.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
  #659
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Nope. The Leafs were Stanley Cup champs until March 31, 1968. Look it up if you want.
The last time the leafs win the cuP was in 1967.

The Blues joined the league the following season.

So they share the same drought.

I mean... I'm used to hearing leaf fan spin and all... But this is a whole new low...

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  #660
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
The last time the leafs win the cuP was in 1967.

The Blues joined the league the following season.

So they share the same drought.

I mean... I'm used to hearing leaf fan spin and all... But this is a whole new low...
Wow, DO, for a change, I actually agree with you completely.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  #661
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
my concern is like the muskoka 5 the Leafs are locking up a core that hasn't accomplished anything.

the failure to add top end talent inflates these second tier players

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  #662
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Again, they spend $16 million more than no one. I get your point about the GM's though, and I'm not disputing the horrendous failures over the past 7-8 years.



I didn't change my argument at all. The only financial advantage the Leafs have is the non-cap related spending. Every team has to play by the cap rules. It's parity, and it's why we don't see dynasties anymore. There are no advantages on the financial side of the game. This isn't baseball - we aren't the Yankees.
I don't fully understand wha you're trying to say...

Is your argument that there isn't a $16 million difference between the cap ceiling and floor?

Or are you arguing that $16 million (which is more than most teams entire 1st line) isn't a substantial advantage?

I think both arguments are utterly asinine... but I'm still curious which asinine argument you are making.
Just for ***** and giggles.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
  #663
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I don't fully understand wha you're trying to say...

Is your argument that there isn't a $16 million difference between the cap ceiling and floor?

Or are you arguing that $16 million (which is more than most teams entire 1st line) isn't a substantial advantage?

I think both arguments are utterly asinine... but I'm still curious which asinine argument you are making.
Just for ***** and giggles.
You're arguing that the Leafs spent $16 million more than a "substantial" amount of teams. I'm saying that they don't.

Yosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
  #664
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Can we even use the amnesty for players that were signed under the new CBA ?

Also even if we can i don't think the new owners would favourably with pissing away money .
I have not read anything that states the contract has to be done during the old CBA.

So you don't think the new owners would buy out a useless player and just pay him, instead of him taking up our cap space and being useless?

I don't think so.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  #665
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
You're arguing that the Leafs spent $16 million more than a "substantial" amount of teams. I'm saying that they don't.
Who cares what you, or any joe blow on these boards, think? Go to Cap geek or NHLNumbers and look it up. Do some research and support your claim. Then go pick me up a philly cheese steak, I'm hungry.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  #666
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Who cares what you, or any joe blow on these boards, think? Go to Cap geek or NHLNumbers and look it up. Do some research and support your claim. Then go pick me up a philly cheese steak, I'm hungry.
... Capgeek is where I formed my argument. Thanks, though.

Yosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
  #667
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
... Capgeek is where I formed my argument. Thanks, though.
Anytime. Now where's my sandwich?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  #668
tzinc
Registered User
 
tzinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leafs Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
typical Leafs is Burke still here?
overpaying for a guy who is 29 years old and has had 1 good season and the length 5 years

now they will be trying to dump him in a year or two

clueless

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  #669
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
The last time the leafs win the cuP was in 1967.

The Blues joined the league the following season.

So they share the same drought.

I mean... I'm used to hearing leaf fan spin and all... But this is a whole new low...
The champ always remains the champ until someone knocks them off. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who the Stanley Cup champ is. Bet you'll get the same answer from everyone.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  #670
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
typical Leafs is Burke still here?
overpaying for a guy who is 29 years old and has had 1 good season and the length 5 years

now they will be trying to dump him in a year or two

clueless
I think I could name an example of just about every team in the NHL taking comparable risks, just off the top of my head.

If you waited for a sure-thing every time you handed out a contract, you wouldn't have a roster.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
  #671
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
I think I could name an example of just about every team in the NHL taking comparable risks, just off the top of my head.

If you waited for a sure-thing every time you handed out a contract, you wouldn't have a roster.
Suddenly two years at $5 million a season for Hemsky doesn't look so bad. A lot people on this board were unmerciful when that contract was handed out. Once again, I'm fine with the money, just think we might be regretting the term.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
  #672
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Suddenly two years at $5 million a season for Hemsky doesn't look so bad. A lot people on this board were unmerciful when that contract was handed out. Once again, I'm fine with the money, just think we might be regretting the term.
Leafs are just hedging their bets. If Lupul produces like he did last season, it becomes a long-term bargain. If he produces at a 60 point pace, he got about market value if not slightly less. It would take quite a dip in production for it to be a disaster.


If he continues to have injury issues, but not bad enough that he can be put on the LTIR, then it's a disaster. But you take that risk with anybody.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 AM
  #673
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,435
vCash: 500
Lupul

What;s his deal?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:39 AM
  #674
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,705
vCash: 500
$5.25m

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:47 AM
  #675
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CanadasTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarrana
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500

__________________
!! GO LEAFS GO !!
CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.