HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Greene out 6-12 weeks, possibly season

Old
01-22-2013, 02:47 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Huh?

What happened to our young D depth?

Voynov is in the NHL and looking to be an exceptionally talented kid.

Martinez is in the NHL and looking like a very solid pmd with a bit of all around play.

Doughty is Doughty.

Forbort is in the NCAA and looking to be a very good if not potentially exceptionally talented D. Though not the offencive powerhouse that some thought he might become he is looking to be a very good all around D who has #2/3 upside.

Gravel is also in the NCAA and plays a game similar to Scuderi imo. He is a stay at home make the safe/smart play kind of guy who also can hit like a train when he wants.

Des is developing very well and while he is a year or two away he could become a very good 2md/3rd pairing guy if everything works out. If not he should have an excellent shot at becoming a 3rd pairing smart all around d man who can fight when needed.

Muzzin is with the team today and looking to begin breaking into the NHL. He is a rookie and is going to have his ups and downs but only the truly gifted rookies don't and on D its even more rare.

Roach is having another very good season and is a few years away (2/3) from making his debut imo but he looks like he has a shot at the NHL too.

JJ though not drafted by us brought us Carter.

Our depth is still amazing on D and we have been arguably one of the top 3 drafting teams on D in the NHL for the past few years. Unfortunately we are having a hard time absorbing the loss of both our top and 3rd pairing anchorman vets but I mean, that is not only expected but I can't see any team in the league that would be able to do any better under the same circumstances if we are talking about only being allowed to rely on their own kids.

Like I said, we have 4 of our kids on the team already and that is the result of our having great depth. We need help today no doubt about it but we have done an exceptional job at drafting signing and developing our kids and are still ridiculously deep. Its just a shame that they aren't all NHL ready at the same time.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Huh?

What happened to our young D depth?

Voynov is in the NHL and looking to be an exceptionally talented kid.

Martinez is in the NHL and looking like a very solid pmd with a bit of all around play.

Doughty is Doughty.

Forbort is in the NCAA and looking to be a very good if not potentially exceptionally talented D. Though not the offencive powerhouse that some thought he might become he is looking to be a very good all around D who has #2/3 upside.

Gravel is also in the NCAA and plays a game similar to Scuderi imo. He is a stay at home make the safe/smart play kind of guy who also can hit like a train when he wants.

Des is developing very well and while he is a year or two away he could become a very good 2md/3rd pairing guy if everything works out. If not he should have an excellent shot at becoming a 3rd pairing smart all around d man who can fight when needed.

Muzzin is with the team today and looking to begin breaking into the NHL. He is a rookie and is going to have his ups and downs but only the truly gifted rookies don't and on D its even more rare.

Roach is having another very good season and is a few years away (2/3) from making his debut imo but he looks like he has a shot at the NHL too.

JJ though not drafted by us brought us Carter.

Our depth is still amazing on D and we have been arguably one of the top 3 drafting teams on D in the NHL for the past few years. Unfortunately we are having a hard time absorbing the loss of both our top and 3rd pairing anchorman vets but I mean, that is not only expected but I can't see any team in the league that would be able to do any better under the same circumstances if we are talking about only being allowed to rely on their own kids.

Like I said, we have 4 of our kids on the team already and that is the result of our having great depth. We need help today no doubt about it but we have done an exceptional job at drafting signing and developing our kids and are still ridiculously deep. Its just a shame that they aren't all NHL ready at the same time.
Yeah, but you didn't mention Hickey or Teubert.

2/11 = 1/2

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I can't find the Gagne part to be honest, can you give out a direct link.
Read Mayor's Manor it's in his report on his front page. Say's Gagne was rotating with Penner, and Penner will likely start.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:40 AM
damacles1156

Sutter on high altitude of Denver, and playing the third/Fourth line more.

Sutter " Hopefully the top six gives quality minutes; instead of just playing, it was a waste of time Saturday.

Love Sutter lol.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:02 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

All those names made me realize we need more Swedes lol

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
All those names made me realize we need more Swedes lol
I don't think DL likes Swedes, only ones were Schumacher and Moller.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:02 AM
KingsFan7824

Is it Cup or bust now? I'm not saying the Kings have to go crazy knee jerk reaction because their #5-ish defenseman is out for a while, but just in general coming off an injury like that. If the Kings find themselves in a position where they have to make a choice, of giving the vets on this team that won a Cup their best chance to win another Cup, or living to fight another day, what's the call?

In situations like this during years past it's been give the kid a shot, if it works, great, if not, trade for next year. Does an actual Cup championship change that dynamic? With the Penner, Richards, and Carter deals, the Kings already gave away some of the future for today. Is that a place where the Kings are for the time being with this group because you don't know when you're going to be in a position to challenge for a championship again? A strike while the iron is hot type of thing.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Komarov47

Franson,Komisarek,White,Weber,Tallinder... Phone call Lombardi??

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komarov47 View Post
Franson,Komisarek,White,Weber,Tallinder... Phone call Lombardi??
I think Franson could do well in LA. We have a more defensive style compared to Toronto.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
SLang

I want to wish Greener best of luck in his recovery - back surgery is never a simple or easy thing to recover from so let's hope he gets well soon and back n the ice, 100%,

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
That Hickey waiver is ouch right about now.
If Voynov went down it would sting. We are talking about injuries to Mitchell and Greene. Hickey has nothing to do with either game those two play. That would be like putting Loktionov on the ice and telling him to play Clifford's game.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
If Voynov went down it would sting. We are talking about injuries to Mitchell and Greene. Hickey has nothing to do with either game those two play. That would be like putting Loktionov on the ice and telling him to play Clifford's game.
Right, except for the fact that the Kings chose to call up 5' 11" 185lbs. Andrew Bodnarchuk once Greene went down.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
The GM that took the chance and drafted Hickey 4th overall put him on waivers when there was a spot open on the roster. It seems no other GM wanted to give up enough, or anything, for him in a trade. He seems to be the 7th defenseman on the team that went out of their way to add a former 4th overall pick, and has yet to play, while two other defensemen claimed on waivers by the Islanders have played.

It's still early in the season, but what is the big deal about Hickey?

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Muzzin doesn't play Mitchell or Greene's game ether.

People need to watch these kids at Manchester before commenting on their "Games"

Bodnarchuck might come close to Greene's game but he is small. Smaller than Hickey.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The GM that took the chance and drafted Hickey 4th overall put him on waivers when there was a spot open on the roster. It seems no other GM wanted to give up enough, or anything, for him in a trade. He seems to be the 7th defenseman on the team that went out of their way to add a former 4th overall pick, and has yet to play, while two other defensemen claimed on waivers by the Islanders have played.

It's still early in the season, but what is the big deal about Hickey?
Hickey was Manchester's Best Defender, and was only waived cause frankly Lombardi had no choice, He had too because he didn't call Hickey up.

So if Hickey was Manchester's best Defender, what does that say About Manchester ?

Regardless Muzzin should be fine against Colorado. His size and Reach is a nice, Lets just hope the Kings shelter his shifts.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Bandit

I know it's no help this year but has Forbort mentioned anything about his intentions to either finish his senior year next year or turn pro?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Size and reach and pushing for physical play is all the Kings care about with their bottom defenders for the moment until a deal gets done. Just have to stick things out with Muzzin and Drewiske until Dean can find a solution. Kopitar coming back will have a huge positive impact on our defense for the moment. I am sure Sutter has pulled Richards aside by now and asked him to step things up. We should be good on the short term. We have a lot of leaders to lean on, Dean has built this team solid.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I know it's no help this year but has Forbort mentioned anything about his intentions to either finish his senior year next year or turn pro?
Forbort hasn't said anything about it to my knowledge.

I think he will finish his last year at UND, unless Lombardi is willing to give him a roster spot right away(that's just a guess though).

Old
01-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

This is depressing but I wouldnt panic (just yet).

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
want to wish Greener best of luck in his recovery - back surgery is never a simple or easy thing to recover from so let's hope he gets well soon and back n the ice, 100%,
Chris Pronger had that same herniated disc surgery beg of May 2011, it was six weeks of rest, then baby steps. Light weight strengthening exercises, treadmill, etc. He didn't start skating until the beg. of Sep. And he wasn't the same afterwards, of course he is a lot older.

12 weeks seems more on the money. I remember him following that surgeon's orders to the letter, because of the serious nature of the injury.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Good News?!?!?!!!?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...r-all/related/

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings fans shouldn’t write off Matt Greene just yet.

The Kings initially thought that they had lost the 29-year-old defenseman for the remainder of the season after he suffered a back ailment on Saturday. However, there’s still hope as it was later revealed that Greene will be out a minimum of six weeks with a herniated disc, according to TSN.

Too bad six weeks means twice as much this season because of the owner's lockout

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If he's out for two months at minimum, then he probably won't be in hockey playing shape for an additional month or two. The Kings can't hold out that long without replacing Greene's minutes.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

The Kings will be fine as long as the injuries don't get too ridiculous and guys can be sent back and forth to Manchester without losing anyone.

What Tonellisghost said. Now is the time for Muzzin to step up and show he's a legit NHLer. He may very well surprise the skeptics with how well he does. If he falters, than everyone will realize his limitations and next man up. Patience.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If he's out for two months at minimum, then he probably won't be in hockey playing shape for an additional month or two. The Kings can't hold out that long without replacing Greene's minutes.
With Mitchell's return unknown and Green out 2 months, I can't see Lombardi not making a move.

Should the Kings have tried to sign Huskins?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
With Mitchell's return unknown and Green out 2 months, I can't see Lombardi not making a move.

Should the Kings have tried to sign Huskins?
Mitchell is expected back as soon as thusrday. (he's on the road trip with the team)

I don't think we need go and sign anybody. That's not how the team was built. It's time for one of Drewiske, Muzzin, or Bodnarchuk to step in and step up and take that role. As much of a critic as I've been of Muzzin in Manchester. I still think he has the skill set to be in the NHL and be effective. He's just got to be smarter! Sometimes being in the NHL and being around smart players will help you a ton. I could see guys like Mitchell and Scurderi helping Muzzin's game!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote