HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Scouter

vCash: 4307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Brian Burke rule book 101 when it comes to trying in increase a trade value is to say you have a deal in place with team X--he has done it with every team he was in charge of. Gillis has followed Burke plan book this off season with the Luongo deal and this falls right into what Burke had previously had done several times. Go review nearly every maple leaf trade rumour in how Burke used and played the media to try and raise the trade market to what he wanted
Oh believe me, I know how Burke messes with the media.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
What I find ironic is that Gillis would go out and slam Toronto because he thinks they're puppeteering the media then he goes out and releases this news, probably to garner interest in his goalie
Two key differences here.

Floating things through national media (TSN) and answering questions in local media (Vancouver Sun) are completely different things.

I also find it slightly ironic, but I don't think these two cases are comparable, considering Toronto based media have taken a story in which they have very little relation (other than hoping the team they cover more gets a star player for cheap) and a Vancouver based reporter, asking a mulititudes of questions ranging from pro scouting to drafting, not just on a goalie trade.

Who knows, maybe Gillis answered like that, because he knew Toronto based media would jump all over it? I doubt it, but I guess its plausible.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I could see this, not sure for what though.
isn't Howard a FA though this summer

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Brodeur is on a two year deal (this and next season). So to trade him now would kind of be a slap in his face given what they've done for each other over the past 20 years or so.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Maybe NYR have given up on Lunqvist?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
isn't Howard a FA though this summer
Yup, but if you can get him with a good deal....you do it.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Vitto79

I do agree it would be a team needing to move a starting goalie like Detroit and Howard to a team like TO , then acquiring Luongo...........just not sure its Detroit as the team

TO needs a G so it would make sense they may be interested in taking another off a tems hand who may acquire Lou

Old
01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Oh believe me, I know how Burke messes with the media.
we all do. I lived in Vancouver for the Burke era and saw first hand how he did thing and when he was in TO it was fun watching leaf fans not catch on for three years how he played the media when it came to feeding info to them to try to raise the value of a player or increase the trade market

Old
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

a deal centered around Louongo for Benn

Old
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
caribouPINE

I've heard its to Carolina for Jussi Jokinen + possible their 1st rounder

Then Carolina trades Cam Ward for a similar salaried/aged top pairing D-man. Toronto for Phaneuf.

The holdup is for Toronto to ensure Gardiner is back and healthy.

E5++

Old
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

I think Washington actually makes sense, but who knows.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Two key differences here.

Floating things through national media (TSN) and answering questions in local media (Vancouver Sun) are completely different things.

I also find it slightly ironic, but I don't think these two cases are comparable, considering Toronto based media have taken a story in which they have very little relation (other than hoping the team they cover more gets a star player for cheap) and a Vancouver based reporter, asking a mulititudes of questions ranging from pro scouting to drafting, not just on a goalie trade.

Who knows, maybe Gillis answered like that, because he knew Toronto based media would jump all over it? I doubt it, but I guess its plausible.
In the 21st century? No, they're exactly the same thing. A "local" story turns into a national story within minutes via twitter, blogs, radio, and tv. Who really cares where it originated from.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

Then Carolina trades Cam Ward for a similar salaried/aged top pairing D-man. Toronto for Phaneuf.

E5++
boy
eklund has some imagination

Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
we all do. I lived in Vancouver for the Burke era and saw first hand how he did thing and when he was in TO it was fun watching leaf fans not catch on for three years how he played the media when it came to feeding info to them to try to raise the value of a player or increase the trade market
Generalizations are fun!

For the most part, we expected deals to happen when Burke was least quiet.

Anyway, this thread is about Luongo, the Vancouver Canucks, and Mike Gillis, not Brian Burke.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
CanuckCity

This is getting ridiculous. All the distraction crap is purely fabricated by the media. There is no reason for there to be an elephant in the locker room; the only reason there would be is because this trade is "in limbo". If Gillis just comes out and says we are keeping Luongo and playing both goalies due to the shortened season it kills it all. Then you hope some team gets desperate around the deadline or wait until the offseason.

And for franks sake give the season at least 5 games. Neither goalie looked good but our team looked worse. When have the Canucks ever started a season hot?

If we're 8 games into the season and things havent changed then maybe just get rid of him, but that scares me tbh. The thought of leaving an unproven goalie on his own (which supposedly will make him play better..?) in Vancouver is worrisome. If schneider cant handle the pressure of Luongo on the bench, how on earth is he going to handle these absurd canucks fans with a cup-or-bust mentality during the playoffs.

Its just really sad that luongo became the scapegoat of the team the past two seasons. In no way does he deserve it.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
After Leonsis granted Ovechkin's request to attend Sochi 2014 no matter what the NHL says, Ovechkin's next demand was for Washington to trade for Luongo so that he would have a year to practice scoring on Canada's anticipated starting goaltender.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
I could see NJ being in on it. Marty can't play much longer.
Agree. NJ might be telling Brodeur to retire and join the front office.

The team that had the biggest OMG moment in goal was Vancouver, so far. I haven't found ay reports of goalies arriving out of shape or injured or anything. I can imagine a team that sees their guy on the ice and realizes they have a problem might do a panic trade but wouldn't they approach LA or even Boston first? Moot point, I guess. If Gillis is saying there is a team and a deal, I guess there is.

I am guessing it is Philadelphia. Can Bryzgalov be offloaded to Europe? I doubt they buy him out, it would be 23 million over fourteen years with an unworkable (5 and 6 million in 2018 and 2019) cap hit on two seasons down the road.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Why ? Because Holtby had just one bad game?

I dont know where i have hear the "its just one bad game" argument before...

Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

not sure if the leafs can afford to trade Phaneuf
D would look pretty crappy

Old
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
CanuckCity

As for a potential destination, im thinking washington and the player i want is Laich. Not Laich and Alzner, maybe Laich and a 2nd or decent prospect. Unless Van is gonna take some salary, even though we get penalized when he retires, we cant get over our heads.

Again its way too early in the season for teams to get desperate but lets say the youngins are faltering, i can see wash looking for a veteran goalie that can win them the division and mentor their future starters.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

But here's what Eklund thinks.. (saw nothing about cam ward or phaneuf btw)

This is clearly about getting the Leafs to buck up more for Luongo. I see no other reason for Gillis to be so open and detailed through the press..

Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
supercilious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckCity View Post

Again its way too early in the season for teams to get desperate but lets say the youngins are faltering, i can see wash looking for a veteran goalie that can win them the division and mentor their future starters.
Only team that I see becoming desperate is Vancouver

Old
01-22-2013, 01:29 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

E5++
If it's Carolina, I'd want Brody Sutter back in trade! A six foot five Sutter that plays center!!! LOL!

Old
01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Why ? Because Holtby had just one bad game?

I dont know where i have hear the "its just one bad game" argument before...
Did you watch that game? Holtby was awful AND the D was awful. WAS is in win-now mode and they need a G who can stand on his head. They are perhaps hopeless but they can't approach this season like this. They must stay in denial. They also have Neuvirth to send back to VAN as part of the deal, which will need a backup G since VAN is playing to win. It may not happen, but WAS is a credible candidate.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Inverted
RIP Hughesy

Not sure why any team would want Luongo in a shortened season. He's a notoriously known as a slow starter, by the time he find his game, the season will be 3/4 done and you'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs. if i were Vancouver i'd keep him until Schneider gets going and look to trade Luongo in the summer

Closed Thread