HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  #926
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,339
vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
PK getting lowballed (according to Bobby Mac), Eller scratched, and Gomez about to sign with SJ. Good times.
Not sure how that is relevant to the current freakout, but ok.

At this point, I'm rooting for an offer sheet that isn't completely insane $ wise. That's the only way this impasse will end and maybe the organization will get the wake up call it deserves with their ''philosophy'' on the bridge contract.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  #927
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That would be all well and good if this was the first week of July. It's not. The season started. We're playing games without our #1 defenseman by choice. If the sides are still this far apart in negotiations in January, this is a little more problematic than your every day run-of-the-mill contract negotiation.
they werent allowed to negotiate between oct 15 and early January in case you forgotten

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
  #928
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million


I am aghast.
Nope.

__________________
...Unemployed Black Astronaut...
PyrettaBlaze is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
  #929
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Not sure how that is relevant to the current freakout, but ok.

At this point, I'm rooting for an offer sheet that isn't completely insane $ wise. That's the only way this impasse will end and maybe the organization will get the wake up call it deserves with their ''philosophy'' on the bridge contract.
Never thought he'd sign/play before PK this year... was a joke...

Habit11 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
  #930
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Lawl 2.75. That's 250k more than Prust (yes I understand Prust was an UFA).

68 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  #931
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,730
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
they werent allowed to negotiate between oct 15 and early January in case you forgotten
Is there an excuse for what happened (or didn't happen) in the 105 days from July 1 to October 15 where they were allowed to negotiate?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
  #932
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.
Is he better than everyone in the league? I don't get why everyone is pumping Subban's tires, last season he made a lot of mistakes and wasn't solid every single game. I would take Pietrangelo over Subban.

Subban is an idiot if he's holding out for more money. The cap is lower, he should have accepted the contract before summer started because now he's obviously going to get less than what he would have gotten when the cap was 10M higher.

Anyway, it might be in his best interests to accept a one or two year deal. Then he can kick ass (hopefully) and earn a big contract. If he's looking for the 6 year 100 million dollar contract right now it makes it seem as if he's worried that he won't be able to earn the big bucks on his next contract.

It doesn't help that his agent obviously doesn't give a **** about hockey, these guys just want to make a crapload of money, no matter how much it can hurt a team to sign a guy to that kind of contract.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
  #933
FranksterQc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
-Price was used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract, for two years. Its not because Halak stole his job during one playoff stunt, that this erased what he'd done before.
Price goaled 52 games in 08 and 41 in 09. I cant remember if there are injuries in play or something but, to me, those are not #1 game played numbers.

FranksterQc is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
  #934
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
At this point, I'm rooting for an offer sheet that isn't completely insane $ wise. That's the only way this impasse will end and maybe the organization will get the wake up call it deserves with their ''philosophy'' on the bridge contract.
This is how I feel too. An offer sheet will give us a better idea what Bergevin is thinking.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
  #935
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Is he better than everyone in the league? I don't get why everyone is pumping Subban's tires, last season he made a lot of mistakes and wasn't solid every single game. I would take Pietrangelo over Subban.

Subban is an idiot if he's holding out for more money. The cap is lower, he should have accepted the contract before summer started because now he's obviously going to get less than what he would have gotten when the cap was 10M higher.

Anyway, it might be in his best interests to accept a one or two year deal. Then he can kick ass (hopefully) and earn a big contract. If he's looking for the 6 year 100 million dollar contract right now it makes it seem as if he's worried that he won't be able to earn the big bucks on his next contract.

It doesn't help that his agent obviously doesn't give a **** about hockey, these guys just want to make a crapload of money, no matter how much it can hurt a team to sign a guy to that kind of contract.
Good post. Agreed with everything. Especially the part about agents. They are a plague if you ask me and I remember Meehan in particular being a hard-ass. He's probably more responsible for this than people think.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
  #936
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.
Pietrangelo is much, much, much better than Subban. Pietrangelo played with Colaiacovo last year, who's essentially a bottom pairing defenceman. It's not even really close to be honest. Pietrangelo is better defensively, and while he's not as flashy as Subban, he's better than him offensively too.

Subban is an awesome defenceman, I personally think he's a number 1, but Pietrangelo is one of the very best in the league. Subban has a long way before he gets there.

That is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  #937
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Is there an excuse for what happened (or didn't happen) in the 105 days from July 1 to October 15 where they were allowed to negotiate?
no(s) excuses!

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
  #938
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.
Pietrangelo is on his entry level contract. Vlasic was signed in 2009 when the cap was $56.8 million.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
  #939
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
-Pacioretty u're right, that's why he got 1.65M$ and not 2.75M$.

-Price was used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract, for two years. Its not because Halak stole his job during one playoff stunt, that this erased what he'd done before.

We all understand the concept about PK playing lot of minutes last year. But he also needs to understand that he's comming off hes ELC contract.

THATS NEGOCIATION. Bergevin's offering 2.75M$ exactly the same ammount as Carey received. Meehan's probably asking for 5M$. If neither is moving. What do you think is going on? Nothing. One day, one of the party will ask the other if they can solve it in the middle, and they will. Thats HOW you make the best business decision. You DEAL. Subban wont have a problem with the organisation. And the organisation wont have a problem with Subban. Thats how the NHL works.

First off, stop saying Carey was a #1 keeper before his bridge contract, he wasn't.
He had two seasons of 41games, and only one of 52. Not only that, but the season before his contract, he won 13 games in a horrible year, losing his #1 spot to Halak.
So, enough with him being a #1 before. He showed potential, but still, there was a lot of question marks.

In MaxPac's case, he had proven absolutely nothing. Only normal for him to get a small deal. However, after only 1 full year, he got an extension. He proved less, playing sheltered minutes at an older age, but yet he gets 4.5M?
Doesn't make much sense to me.

As for PK, he was our #1 Dmen for 3/4 of his career here. He is a top pairing Dman at the very least. He isn't coming off a horrible year like Price was. Not to mention Price signed his deal 3 years ago.
The situations are not comparable, at all.

As for negotiations, you're right on some level. However, a lot more can happen. Parties don't always come together and agree on a deal. There's always the possibility of PK requesting a trade.
Also, we're not in the summer, we're in January playing a shortened season. Not moving or having discussions is unacceptable. It's a sign of poor management.
At least if they were getting closer, then okay, delays can always happen, but not even close to one another? Not discussing things?? Unacceptable.

Also, you, as a GM, need to have vision. Re-signing a kid long term early on will save you cash in the long term. I'm not sure what he's so scared of with PK. But to me, rare are others that will come off ELC and have proven more than PK.
Heck, there's already a big group of examples that came out after their ELC and either proved less than PK or just as much, yet still got their longer term deal.

It's just bad management. Giving PK half of what Prust is making and then asking him to play like a top Dman is unreasonable.

If this is true, then everything would make sense.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #940
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.
Subban better then Pietrangelo ?

PATCHESx67 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #941
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Is he better than everyone in the league? I don't get why everyone is pumping Subban's tires, last season he made a lot of mistakes and wasn't solid every single game. I would take Pietrangelo over Subban.

Subban is an idiot if he's holding out for more money. The cap is lower, he should have accepted the contract before summer started because now he's obviously going to get less than what he would have gotten when the cap was 10M higher.

Anyway, it might be in his best interests to accept a one or two year deal. Then he can kick ass (hopefully) and earn a big contract. If he's looking for the 6 year 100 million dollar contract right now it makes it seem as if he's worried that he won't be able to earn the big bucks on his next contract.

It doesn't help that his agent obviously doesn't give a **** about hockey, these guys just want to make a crapload of money, no matter how much it can hurt a team to sign a guy to that kind of contract.
What are you talking about? Apparently PK would accept 6y 24M. That's a very long long way from your 100M figure.
PK is getting criticized for absolutely no reason here.

He, apparently is willing to sign here for a long term at a very cheap Price, which would be amazing for us, and yet he's being called an idiot for not wanting to sign for half of what Brandon freaking Prust got??? Are you serious with this crap?

You should stop focusing on the player. Look at what's best for the team.
Is it better for the team to sign PK to a 1-2year deal, let him kick ass as you say, then hit arbitration, triple that amount and we'd be stuck without cap??? Yea, REALLY FREAKING SMART!

It sure would make sense for PK to hold out if they're offering so little. I've been saying for a while that it makes more and more sense that management was the one low balling an offer. Bobby Mac is as legit as it's going to be, so...
If PK also said he'd be willing to go to 6y 24M, it makes sense how he didn't get any offer sheet. Every other GM in the league would likely sign him to this without thinking twice, but I'm sure they figure Bergevin would match this offer easily. So, there's no reason for them to do that.

You have to look at the bigger picture. Forget PK. If this is true, you have to reconsider just how management evaluate's talent.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
  #942
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Is there an excuse for what happened (or didn't happen) in the 105 days from July 1 to October 15 where they were allowed to negotiate?
There could be. Subban may have demanded too much.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
  #943
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.
Omg hahaha!!! Are you serious right now?

Habster33 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  #944
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What are you talking about? Apparently PK would accept 6y 24M. That's a very long long way from your 100M figure.
PK is getting criticized for absolutely no reason here.

He, apparently is willing to sign here for a long term at a very cheap Price, which would be amazing for us, and yet he's being called an idiot for not wanting to sign for half of what Brandon freaking Prust got??? Are you serious with this crap?

You should stop focusing on the player. Look at what's best for the team.
Is it better for the team to sign PK to a 1-2year deal, let him kick ass as you say, then hit arbitration, triple that amount and we'd be stuck without cap??? Yea, REALLY FREAKING SMART!

It sure would make sense for PK to hold out if they're offering so little. I've been saying for a while that it makes more and more sense that management was the one low balling an offer. Bobby Mac is as legit as it's going to be, so...
If PK also said he'd be willing to go to 6y 24M, it makes sense how he didn't get any offer sheet. Every other GM in the league would likely sign him to this without thinking twice, but I'm sure they figure Bergevin would match this offer easily. So, there's no reason for them to do that.

You have to look at the bigger picture. Forget PK. If this is true, you have to reconsider just how management evaluate's talent.
Apparently, you can be wrong about everything you just wrote! I will eat crow for a week if PK accepts 6 years 24M. No way Habs management is balking at that. Stop being a PK fanboy and wait to see what the deal will be.

onebighockeyfan is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
  #945
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,410
vCash: 500
I hope Subban's keeping in shape while waiting? Some of the players that looked the worst Saturday hadn't played pro hockey this season... Bouillon, Gorges, Cole....

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
  #946
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I hope Subban's keeping in shape while waiting? Some of the players that looked the worst Saturday hadn't played pro hockey this season... Bouillon, Gorges, Cole....
He is keeping in shape by going to Raptors game, practicing on ice with garage leaguers, tweeting and eating spanish food in 2nd rate restaurants.

onebighockeyfan is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
  #947
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
He is keeping in shape by going to Raptors game, practicing on ice with garage leaguers, tweeting and eating spanish food in 2nd rate restaurants.
Man, you are really full of **** against Subban, aren't ya?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
  #948
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,730
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There could be. Subban may have demanded too much.
So if he demanded too much in July, and is demanding too much in January, and neither side has made any significant concessions...do we still call that a negotiation? A game of chicken might be more like it.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #949
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Apparently, you can be wrong about everything you just wrote! I will eat crow for a week if PK accepts 6 years 24M. No way Habs management is balking at that. Stop being a PK fanboy and wait to see what the deal will be.
I'm not being a fanboy of PK. I'm a fan of this organization, and the best decision is to go long term.
I'm also responding to a poster that said ''if PK is looking for a 6y 100M deal'', which was never even rumored. That's the only reason why I brought up the 6y24M deal.
I've been preaching throughout the thread that people should wait and see, I believe I even told you the same.
Regardless of that deal, Bobby Mac is as reliable a source as there will be. If it is true that management is holding PK to a tad over half the deal Prust got, it's simply retarded.

I don't care if it's PK. I'm a lot more concerned about how management is running the show, that's what's upsetting.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  #950
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So if he demanded too much in July, and is demanding too much in January, and neither side has made any significant concessions...do we still call that a negotiation? A game of chicken might be more like it.
And right now a chicken game is not something we need. They (Bergevin and Meehan) need to sit down once and for all and make this deal work. Both of them need to make concessions so that Subban can start playing again.

Habster33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.