HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Jets @ Capitals . 1.22.13. 7PM

Old
01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
To New Jersey for Volchenkov goddammit. Even god Devils fans on board. Do you know how hard it is to get them on board for ANYTHING?
How many first round picks are we adding to that deal?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
One bad game and we're ****ed? Do you take into account how well he played last season or not?
He was definitely better at stopping first shots but Hunter made him look better than he was. What you saw yesterday was Holtby without defense finely tuned to clear all rebounds and only let through shots that Holtby can see.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
This guy is not gonna like it when we post imgs about the Canes...
lmao well played

i saw someone mention the ovechtrick above. that commercial jinxed him, imho. he has never been the same since that crappy thing started. lol. i blame it all on that!

some buzz about WSH being a Luongo destination today. god i hate that guy. i wish we still had Varlamov and just stayed the course....

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
How many first round picks are we adding to that deal?
They were on board with Perreault and a 2nd. I may have even talked them down to Perreault and a 3rd since Volchenkov has a NTC and a pretty hefty cap hit for someone who doesn't fit on their roster.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
lmao well played

i saw someone mention the ovechtrick above. that commercial jinxed him, imho. he has never been the same since that crappy thing started. lol. i blame it all on that!

some buzz about WSH being a Luongo destination today. god i hate that guy. i wish we still had Varlamov and just stayed the course....
On the bright side, if McPhee trades for Luongo we can just disband and start following teams that get it to at least some extent.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
He was definitely better at stopping first shots but Hunter made him look better than he was. What you saw yesterday was Holtby without defense finely tuned to clear all rebounds and only let through shots that Holtby can see.
Holtby's rebound control is awful. Have people forgotten about "The glove incident" already? He almost had another one in the last game. Athletic and raw as ****, but let's not act like he's going to be a rock this season.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
They were on board with Perreault and a 2nd. I may have even talked them down to Perreault and a 3rd since Volchenkov has a NTC and a pretty hefty cap hit for someone who doesn't fit on their roster.
How does a player like Volchenkov "not fit"? The guy hits and blocks shots. That's what defensemen do. Well, most defensemen do.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Going to the game tonight; first time at the Verizon Center. Preds fan first, but willing to pull for the hometown team; go Caps. Joel Ward with an incoming Ovechtrick obviously.
Well he IS on pace for 96 goals

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
How does a player like Volchenkov "not fit"? The guy hits and blocks shots. That's what defensemen do. Well, most defensemen do.
I think they have Salvador, Larsson, Tallinder and Greene ahead of him. Zidlicky too, not because he's better but because he's top 4 or bust. Their style also isn't very shotblocking oriented and makes him look worse than he is. Ultimately he's a 4.25 million dollar bottom pairing defenseman there but an excellent 2nd pairing DFD elsewhere. I'd love to put him with Orlov and have them murderize people at even strength. Plus an Alzner-Volchenkov PK pairing would be one of if not the best in the league.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
On the bright side, if McPhee trades for Luongo we can just disband and start following teams that get it to at least some extent.
just as long as he does not trade Forsberg to make it happen...

VAN needs scoring help on line two. Kind of what we also need... i can see it being a fit with Neuvrith going to VAN to backup, but cant see D or forward help that VAN needs. always nice to be in on the rumors though so i have something more to read during the work day

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

jets are not a good team, they're worse on the road, and they played yesterday. the caps lost and are in their home opener. plus they benched schultz, which can only help.

try not to suck, red...

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Halpysback

If Schultz has half the negative aura effect on the team that I think he does we should have this in the bag.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
good luck tonight, always a good game when the Jets and Caps meet

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Volchenkov would have been an ideal fit for a Hunter coached team. He's great if you're collapsing to the net and playing a stifling, shot blocking, keep the puck out of the danger zones-type defense. But in the more up-tempo, aggressive, transition-and-forechecking type of game that Oates seems to want to run, Volchenkov's lack of mobility becomes a liability. The dude looks like a pylon in these types of systems, and is awful in transition.

Would rather target Tallinder than Volchenkov.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

loungo would look like a siv on our team

pass on spending 5+ mill on goalie

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

pavalec playing his 3rd straight game. maybe we catch a tired goalie tonight.

fingers crossed

Old
01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I have never understood wishing the opposition good luck. It just rings so hollow despite their best efforts to appear sincere.

Look at that, 3 flat tires.

/No one hurt

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Volchenkov would have been an ideal fit for a Hunter coached team. He's great if you're collapsing to the net and playing a stifling, shot blocking, keep the puck out of the danger zones-type defense. But in the more up-tempo, aggressive, transition-and-forechecking type of game that Oates seems to want to run, Volchenkov's lack of mobility becomes a liability. The dude looks like a pylon in these types of systems, and is awful in transition.

Would rather target Tallinder than Volchenkov.
You can make Volchenkov work on the caps. Kings made Matt Greene and Rob Scuderi work. Red Wings made Brad Stuart work. Sharks made Douglass Murray work, especially in the playoffs when they all thought he was god.

His lack of mobility is a problem if you want him to pinch. If you want him to pinch, then you're an idiot. If you tell him to play conservative and not worry about offense he can defend as well as anybody. Though Oates had Schultz pinching so who knows, hey may well be an idiot (or perhaps a coach learning what his players are capable of).

Tallinder is another Poti/Hamrlik. He's good but he doesn't make our defense particularly more well-rounded. It's still the softest defense in the league.

Volchenkov would be far and away our best hitter, far and away our best shotblocker, absolute warrior and could probably develop a Tyutin-Nikitin thing with Orlov. Have Orlov pinch for two, Volchenkov stay back for two, and each could hit for two as well.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
TedenbysFrontTeeth
INFP

No Neuvirth tonight?

Holtby will rebound! But please play Neuvirth a nice split for my fantasy team. Hehe.

Last edited by TedenbysFrontTeeth: 01-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.
TedenbysFrontTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

The way Oates is using the dmen, and Green's general disdain for offense, I will predict our LDs will out score our infinitely more offensive RDs at ES in the first 5 games.

Count me in on Volchenkov for what is a few years now. Rolling back the clock, I still want Seidenberg at the deadline from way back when.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
To New Jersey for Volchenkov goddammit. Even god Devils fans on board. Do you know how hard it is to get them on board for ANYTHING?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:08 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Whats the word on Crabb? Will he provide the give a **** grit this team was sorely lacking Saturday night? The type of give a **** that hasn't been around since Bradley was providing his head to oppenents for punching practice?
I've been around here long enough to know I am generally ignored as a rule, but can I get an answer to my previous question? Just curious what to expect from Crabb. Hoping for Erskine like attitude, but if that isn't the case I want to know now so I am not disappointed later tonight. I promise to keep my dumb hockey questions and comments to a minimum this year.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

He's definitely not Erskine. He's only 6'1", around 200lb. He's more "sandpaper" than "hammer." He's gritty and not afraid of contact, but he's not an enforcer by any means. Closest comparable would be Hendricks.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
sunnydaycrash

Love what the Islanders did last night, called out the Lightning right off the bat, 2 fights, followed by 3 goals.....maybe if someone with some balls had've stepped up for Hillen, this team would have played a little harder for each other

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Methinks Crabb is closer to Beagle than Hendricks. Besides that he isn't a center.

Should be a regular on PK probably plus some occasional scoring as 3RW/4RW.

EDIT: MP is the really wrong player on that 4th line I think. After Laich's comeback that will be much more identified line of MH-JB-JC.

So MP and Fehr should be in pressbox waiting for some opportunity in top-6. To me top-6 suspects so far are Brouwer and Mojo ofc. I would even entertain Brouwer and Ward in bottom-6 and MP as winger in top-6 before MP as 4th C.

Example:

MJ/MP -NB-AO
Wolski/Fehr -Ribeiro-Ward
Chimera-Laich-Crabb
Hendricks-Beagle-Brouwer

Last edited by Raikkonen: 01-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote