HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller already in the doghouse?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
  #376
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Yeah. Trade your only center with some vision and passing skills...
Smart post because Eller isn't a good playmaker...We have too many centers as is. I would much rather we split the two big power forwards and have Eller or Gally play 2nd line center.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  #377
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,951
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Smart post because Eller isn't a good playmaker...We have too many centers as is. I would much rather we split the two big power forwards and have Eller or Gally play 2nd line center.
We don't even know if Galchenyuk can play in the NHL yet, let alone anchor a team's top-six. Pump the brakes here.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  #378
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Yeah. Trade your only center with some vision and passing skills...
That's a huge stretch and if Gally stays this year we won't have enough center spots to develop him and Eller. Don't tell me to plug them at wing because their game isn't suited for the wing spot...

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  #379
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
We don't even know if Galchenyuk can play in the NHL yet, let alone anchor a team's top-six. Pump the brakes here.
Ideally, galchenyuk should be sent back to Sarnia. I don't think this team is good enough and united enough (team spririt) to welcome an 18 y.o, rookie.

Let's lose with our vets players.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  #380
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
We don't even know if Galchenyuk can play in the NHL yet, let alone anchor a team's top-six. Pump the brakes here.
That's why I said Eller too, and if not who cares he'll play on the third and Therrien said that if he's keeping Gally he's going to play for 13 minutes+ a game. Eller could succeed if he had two quality wingers with alot of ice time.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  #381
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
That's a huge stretch and if Gally stays this year we won't have enough center spots to develop him and Eller. Don't tell me to plug them at wing because their game isn't suited for the wing spot...
At NHL level, it is easier to learn the game as a winger than a center. Galchenyuk was playing on wing since the beginning of the season in Sarnia as well as in in World Championship last month.

Eller has limited vision and very average face off skills. But he has the body and the skating to play on wing.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
  #382
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Ideally, galchenyuk should be sent back to Sarnia. I don't think this team is good enough and united enough (team spririt) to welcome an 18 y.o, rookie.

Let's lose with our vets players.
Well you never know 48 games in the NHL could be great for his development rather than playing for another 25 games in the OHL.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
  #383
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
At NHL level, it is easier to learn the game as a winger than a center. Galchenyuk was playing on wing since the beginning of the season in Sarnia as well as in in World Championship last month.

Eller has limited vision and very average face off skills. But he has the body and the skating to play on wing.
Eller also has the defensive awareness to play center, DD isn't the best faceoff man either.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
  #384
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
At NHL level, it is easier to learn the game as a winger than a center. Galchenyuk was playing on wing since the beginning of the season in Sarnia as well as in in World Championship last month.

Eller has limited vision and very average face off skills. But he has the body and the skating to play on wing.
Anyway you have the right to your opinion so do I, I see DD as being the guy who's going to hold back Eller's development.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
  #385
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
In the best world we'd see:

Pacioretty - dd - cole
Bourque - plekanec - gionta
Eller - galchenyuk - gallagher
Prust/white/moen/armstrong

That way we'd have the 3 kids together.
I love the idea of a kid line.

I remember when Pleks, Higgins, and Perezhogin we're breaking into the NHL, they were our fourth line, playing 12-14 sheltered mins/game and they were dynamite.

I'd love to see something similar.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
  #386
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Eller also has the defensive awareness to play center, DD isn't the best faceoff man either.
DD might not be the best, but he is the best on this team and superior to Eller as a passer.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
  #387
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I love the idea of a kid line.

I remember when Pleks, Higgins, and Perezhogin we're breaking into the NHL, they were our fourth line, playing 12-14 sheltered mins/game and they were dynamite.

I'd love to see something similar.
A rookie line won't survive in this shortened hard-fought season.

Gallagher belongs to the AHL. Gally to Sarnia.

Bring on some more size & muscle to play on the 4th line and on D

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  #388
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
DD has had one season as a regular top-six player, I'm not sure I'd call that established. I wouldn't dismiss last years top scoring line right away but it's time to stop pretending they accomplished some great things.

And for all the questions, it already is established that Eller is the bottom 6's best scorer until Galchenyuk or Gallagher provide otherwise in a bottom 6 role.
While I agree with you, I think it is safe to say that for last season, Cole-DD-Patch really did take the role of that top line. He is much more established in the top-six than Eller, regardless.

In order to play Galchenyuk at center, there really was no other choice than to either move Eller to the wing or bench him. Eller wouldn't do well on the fourth line, and there really wasn't room for him in a top-six role. I don't necessarily agree with scratching him, but if we wanted to give Galchenyuk a position at center, his was the most logical one to take.


Last edited by JohnLennon: 01-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
  #389
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
While I agree with you, I think it is safe to say that for last season, Cole-DD-Patch really did take the role of that top line. He is much more established in the top-six than Eller, regardless.

In order to play Galchenyuk at center, there really was no other choice than to either move Eller to the wing or bench him. Eller wouldn't do well on the fourth line, and there really wasn't room for him in a top-six role. I don't necessarily agree with scratching him, but if we wanted to give Galchenyuk a position at center, his was the most logical one to take.
The only reasons to have Gally at C and have gallagher in the line up so early is to test them before possibly sending them back to lower levels.

Other reason: a trade is in the making involving Eller. IF it would be the case, I hope we gonna get a player as good as Halak in return...

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  #390
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
A rookie line won't survive in this shortened hard-fought season.

Gallagher belongs to the AHL. Gally to Sarnia.

Bring on some more size & muscle to play on the 4th line and on D
I'd be interested in knowing how much of Gallagher you've actually seen to say that. I'm not saying he's ready, but he was one of the last cuts last year, had a good year on a weak Bulldog's team, and is a really hard worker at both ends of the rink. I think he should at least be given a chance.


We've got enough 'size & muscle' on our other bottom 6 line.
Armstrong, Prust, White, and Moen are good enough hockey players to form a 'third line' and getting fairly tough minutes.

Then, giving easier minutes to a rookie line with some really good offensive potential and who aren't crap defensively either, I think could work out well (both for this year and in long-term development. You can't tell me that Galchenyuk having Prust on his wing is going to help him out much offensively).

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
  #391
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how much of Gallagher you've actually seen to say that. I'm not saying he's ready, but he was one of the last cuts last year, had a good year on a weak Bulldog's team, and is a really hard worker at both ends of the rink. I think he should at least be given a chance.


We've got enough 'size & muscle' on our other bottom 6 line.
Armstrong, Prust, White, and Moen are good enough hockey players to form a 'third line' and getting fairly tough minutes.

Then, giving easier minutes to a rookie line with some really good offensive potential and who aren't crap defensively either, I think could work out well (both for this year and in long-term development. You can't tell me that Galchenyuk having Prust on his wing is going to help him out much offensively).
But it will protect him physically. Which is very important considering Galchenyuk's age and potential.

Gallagher might be a good asset down the road, but I don't want the Habs to have 4 players under 5'8 in the line up (DD, Gio, Bouillon and Gallagher). Way too much.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  #392
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
That's a huge stretch and if Gally stays this year we won't have enough center spots to develop him and Eller. Don't tell me to plug them at wing because their game isn't suited for the wing spot...
Do you understand hockey enough to know what a center does, and why Gally won't be playing there as a rookie? You know why he's moved to the wing as a rookie, right?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  #393
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,202
vCash: 500
Eller should get more time on the wing, we will be losing Gionta, Cole and possibly Bourque in the not too distant future and probably grabbing another centre this draft.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
  #394
jhjhjhjhjhjh*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
But it will protect him physically. Which is very important considering Galchenyuk's age and potential.

Gallagher might be a good asset down the road, but I don't want the Habs to have 4 players under 5'8 in the line up (DD, Gio, Bouillon and Gallagher). Way too much.
Agree and from what I saw saturday Prust isn't your normal 4th line player he is capable of creating plays, pretty skilled for a tough guy.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
  #395
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Do you understand hockey enough to know what a center does, and why Gally won't be playing there as a rookie? You know why he's moved to the wing as a rookie, right?
You realize he's expected to play centre tonight?

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
  #396
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
The only reasons to have Gally at C and have gallagher in the line up so early is to test them before possibly sending them back to lower levels.

Other reason: a trade is in the making involving Eller. IF it would be the case, I hope we gonna get a player as good as Halak in return...
I am quite sure we are just making room for Galchenyuk at center so we can see what the kid can do. I am not under the impression that this will last for any extended period of time, though. I don't necessarily want to trade Eller but if we do, it better be something good for our future.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  #397
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,188
vCash: 50
I don't understand why people agree to have Gallagher play tonight but at the same time they don't want to see Eller being scratched. Why should we have Eller centering a 4th line if he's not going to be putting more than 6-9 mins a game, why should we want Eller to play a defensive role when he clearly should be promoting his offensive skills. Why have him as a winger when his future is as a center.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
  #398
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I don't understand why people agree to have Gallagher play tonight but at the same time they don't want to see Eller being scratched. Why should we have Eller centering a 4th line if he's not going to be putting more than 6-9 mins a game, why should we want Eller to play a defensive role when he clearly should be promoting his offensive skills. Why have him as a winger when his future is as a center.
There are a lot of other players that could be scratched.

It's better to have Eller play a game as 4th line center or 2nd line winger than to have him not play at all.

This also implies that if Galchenyuk makes the team, Bergevin will trade Eller. Why be so stupid? Our top-2 centers of the future oughtta be Galchenyuk-Eller.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
  #399
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
I'm now getting worried.

Maybe they're pulling Eller out of the lineup to see how the team can do without him.

Perhaps Bergevin wants to package Subban+Eller in a trade for a player that is worth less than Subban alone?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:00 PM
  #400
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm now getting worried.

Maybe they're pulling Eller out of the lineup to see how the team can do without him.

Perhaps Bergevin wants to package Subban+Eller in a trade for a player that is worth less than Subban alone?
Well now I feel better.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.