HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller already in the doghouse?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Yeah. Trade your only center with some vision and passing skills...
Smart post because Eller isn't a good playmaker...We have too many centers as is. I would much rather we split the two big power forwards and have Eller or Gally play 2nd line center.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Smart post because Eller isn't a good playmaker...We have too many centers as is. I would much rather we split the two big power forwards and have Eller or Gally play 2nd line center.
We don't even know if Galchenyuk can play in the NHL yet, let alone anchor a team's top-six. Pump the brakes here.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Yeah. Trade your only center with some vision and passing skills...
That's a huge stretch and if Gally stays this year we won't have enough center spots to develop him and Eller. Don't tell me to plug them at wing because their game isn't suited for the wing spot...

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
We don't even know if Galchenyuk can play in the NHL yet, let alone anchor a team's top-six. Pump the brakes here.
Ideally, galchenyuk should be sent back to Sarnia. I don't think this team is good enough and united enough (team spririt) to welcome an 18 y.o, rookie.

Let's lose with our vets players.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That's why I said Eller too, and if not who cares he'll play on the third and Therrien said that if he's keeping Gally he's going to play for 13 minutes+ a game. Eller could succeed if he had two quality wingers with alot of ice time.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
That's a huge stretch and if Gally stays this year we won't have enough center spots to develop him and Eller. Don't tell me to plug them at wing because their game isn't suited for the wing spot...
At NHL level, it is easier to learn the game as a winger than a center. Galchenyuk was playing on wing since the beginning of the season in Sarnia as well as in in World Championship last month.

Eller has limited vision and very average face off skills. But he has the body and the skating to play on wing.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Ideally, galchenyuk should be sent back to Sarnia. I don't think this team is good enough and united enough (team spririt) to welcome an 18 y.o, rookie.

Let's lose with our vets players.
Well you never know 48 games in the NHL could be great for his development rather than playing for another 25 games in the OHL.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
At NHL level, it is easier to learn the game as a winger than a center. Galchenyuk was playing on wing since the beginning of the season in Sarnia as well as in in World Championship last month.

Eller has limited vision and very average face off skills. But he has the body and the skating to play on wing.
Eller also has the defensive awareness to play center, DD isn't the best faceoff man either.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:

Anyway you have the right to your opinion so do I, I see DD as being the guy who's going to hold back Eller's development.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
In the best world we'd see:

Pacioretty - dd - cole
Bourque - plekanec - gionta
Eller - galchenyuk - gallagher
Prust/white/moen/armstrong

That way we'd have the 3 kids together.
I love the idea of a kid line.

I remember when Pleks, Higgins, and Perezhogin we're breaking into the NHL, they were our fourth line, playing 12-14 sheltered mins/game and they were dynamite.

I'd love to see something similar.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Eller also has the defensive awareness to play center, DD isn't the best faceoff man either.
DD might not be the best, but he is the best on this team and superior to Eller as a passer.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I love the idea of a kid line.

I remember when Pleks, Higgins, and Perezhogin we're breaking into the NHL, they were our fourth line, playing 12-14 sheltered mins/game and they were dynamite.

I'd love to see something similar.
A rookie line won't survive in this shortened hard-fought season.

Gallagher belongs to the AHL. Gally to Sarnia.

Bring on some more size & muscle to play on the 4th line and on D

Old
01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
DD has had one season as a regular top-six player, I'm not sure I'd call that established. I wouldn't dismiss last years top scoring line right away but it's time to stop pretending they accomplished some great things.

And for all the questions, it already is established that Eller is the bottom 6's best scorer until Galchenyuk or Gallagher provide otherwise in a bottom 6 role.
While I agree with you, I think it is safe to say that for last season, Cole-DD-Patch really did take the role of that top line. He is much more established in the top-six than Eller, regardless.

In order to play Galchenyuk at center, there really was no other choice than to either move Eller to the wing or bench him. Eller wouldn't do well on the fourth line, and there really wasn't room for him in a top-six role. I don't necessarily agree with scratching him, but if we wanted to give Galchenyuk a position at center, his was the most logical one to take.

Last edited by JohnLennon: 01-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
While I agree with you, I think it is safe to say that for last season, Cole-DD-Patch really did take the role of that top line. He is much more established in the top-six than Eller, regardless.

In order to play Galchenyuk at center, there really was no other choice than to either move Eller to the wing or bench him. Eller wouldn't do well on the fourth line, and there really wasn't room for him in a top-six role. I don't necessarily agree with scratching him, but if we wanted to give Galchenyuk a position at center, his was the most logical one to take.
The only reasons to have Gally at C and have gallagher in the line up so early is to test them before possibly sending them back to lower levels.

Other reason: a trade is in the making involving Eller. IF it would be the case, I hope we gonna get a player as good as Halak in return...

Old
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
A rookie line won't survive in this shortened hard-fought season.

Gallagher belongs to the AHL. Gally to Sarnia.

Bring on some more size & muscle to play on the 4th line and on D
I'd be interested in knowing how much of Gallagher you've actually seen to say that. I'm not saying he's ready, but he was one of the last cuts last year, had a good year on a weak Bulldog's team, and is a really hard worker at both ends of the rink. I think he should at least be given a chance.

We've got enough 'size & muscle' on our other bottom 6 line.
Armstrong, Prust, White, and Moen are good enough hockey players to form a 'third line' and getting fairly tough minutes.

Then, giving easier minutes to a rookie line with some really good offensive potential and who aren't crap defensively either, I think could work out well (both for this year and in long-term development. You can't tell me that Galchenyuk having Prust on his wing is going to help him out much offensively).

Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how much of Gallagher you've actually seen to say that. I'm not saying he's ready, but he was one of the last cuts last year, had a good year on a weak Bulldog's team, and is a really hard worker at both ends of the rink. I think he should at least be given a chance.

We've got enough 'size & muscle' on our other bottom 6 line.
Armstrong, Prust, White, and Moen are good enough hockey players to form a 'third line' and getting fairly tough minutes.

Then, giving easier minutes to a rookie line with some really good offensive potential and who aren't crap defensively either, I think could work out well (both for this year and in long-term development. You can't tell me that Galchenyuk having Prust on his wing is going to help him out much offensively).
But it will protect him physically. Which is very important considering Galchenyuk's age and potential.

Gallagher might be a good asset down the road, but I don't want the Habs to have 4 players under 5'8 in the line up (DD, Gio, Bouillon and Gallagher). Way too much.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Habs

Quote:
Do you understand hockey enough to know what a center does, and why Gally won't be playing there as a rookie? You know why he's moved to the wing as a rookie, right?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Eller should get more time on the wing, we will be losing Gionta, Cole and possibly Bourque in the not too distant future and probably grabbing another centre this draft.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
But it will protect him physically. Which is very important considering Galchenyuk's age and potential.

Gallagher might be a good asset down the road, but I don't want the Habs to have 4 players under 5'8 in the line up (DD, Gio, Bouillon and Gallagher). Way too much.
Agree and from what I saw saturday Prust isn't your normal 4th line player he is capable of creating plays, pretty skilled for a tough guy.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Do you understand hockey enough to know what a center does, and why Gally won't be playing there as a rookie? You know why he's moved to the wing as a rookie, right?
You realize he's expected to play centre tonight?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
The only reasons to have Gally at C and have gallagher in the line up so early is to test them before possibly sending them back to lower levels.

Other reason: a trade is in the making involving Eller. IF it would be the case, I hope we gonna get a player as good as Halak in return...
I am quite sure we are just making room for Galchenyuk at center so we can see what the kid can do. I am not under the impression that this will last for any extended period of time, though. I don't necessarily want to trade Eller but if we do, it better be something good for our future.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I don't understand why people agree to have Gallagher play tonight but at the same time they don't want to see Eller being scratched. Why should we have Eller centering a 4th line if he's not going to be putting more than 6-9 mins a game, why should we want Eller to play a defensive role when he clearly should be promoting his offensive skills. Why have him as a winger when his future is as a center.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I don't understand why people agree to have Gallagher play tonight but at the same time they don't want to see Eller being scratched. Why should we have Eller centering a 4th line if he's not going to be putting more than 6-9 mins a game, why should we want Eller to play a defensive role when he clearly should be promoting his offensive skills. Why have him as a winger when his future is as a center.
There are a lot of other players that could be scratched.

It's better to have Eller play a game as 4th line center or 2nd line winger than to have him not play at all.

This also implies that if Galchenyuk makes the team, Bergevin will trade Eller. Why be so stupid? Our top-2 centers of the future oughtta be Galchenyuk-Eller.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
DAChampion

I'm now getting worried.

Maybe they're pulling Eller out of the lineup to see how the team can do without him.

Perhaps Bergevin wants to package Subban+Eller in a trade for a player that is worth less than Subban alone?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:00 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm now getting worried.

Maybe they're pulling Eller out of the lineup to see how the team can do without him.

Perhaps Bergevin wants to package Subban+Eller in a trade for a player that is worth less than Subban alone?
Well now I feel better.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote