HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL PIT GM View Post
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Luongo's contract can be considered anything except one of the single best contracts in the history of the NHL cap era.

I mean, did they not just outlaw it from ever happening again? They did this because its bad for the team or because it gives the team an unfair advantage?

Clearly because it gives the team an unfair advantage. I fail to see how having a contract on the book that gives your team an unfair advantage for 10 more years can be considered an anchor as i have seen it called.
Biggest thing is the new cap recapture stuff and the assumption that Lou will retire early. It's not insurmountable but it does change the picture.

Also probably philosophical differences about how much is too much to pay for goaltending, I guess.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Luongo's contract can be considered anything except one of the single best contracts in the history of the NHL cap era.

I mean, did they not just outlaw it from ever happening again? They did this because its bad for the team or because it gives the team an unfair advantage?

Clearly because it gives the team an unfair advantage. I fail to see how having a contract on the book that gives your team an unfair advantage for 10 more years can be considered an anchor as i have seen it called.
You are correct that it was a massive bargain under the old CBA. That is exactly why they have closed that loophole and added punitive damages to any team who has such contracts, even after the player retires.... That is why it is currently considered an anchor.

---

I'd also like to add that it appears Carlyle's system will be one in which very few shots are getting through to the net (at least compared to last ear) and it has always seemed to me that Lu thrives on a high shot load to get into a rhythm. Don't know if he would fit the system.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Ballgarath

Yeah NO way kessel signs there again so Toronto needs to keep kadri so van fans should probably look some where else.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Stephen23

Quote:

Maybe if Luongo was in his twenties, it would be. But Luongo is in his mid-thirties with 10 years remaining. To take on Luongo at his age and with a 10 year contract is a HUGE commitment from a team. And teams that have a goalie in the pipeline would basically be telling that goaltender that they have no future with their club. Also, most teams already have an established starting goalie, or what I eluded to, have a goalie in their pipeline that is waiting in the wings. Examples of this is Washington (Holtby) Florida (Markstrom) and Tampa Bay (Vasilevsky)

Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
You are correct that it was a massive bargain under the old CBA. That is exactly why they have closed that loophole and added punitive damages to any team who has such contracts, even after the player retires.... That is why it is currently considered an anchor.

---

I'd also like to add that it appears Carlyle's system will be one in which very few shots are getting through to the net (at least compared to last ear) and it has always seemed to me that Lu thrives on a high shot load to get into a rhythm. Don't know if he would fit the system.
the damage is to Vancouver after he retires no?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
reims isnt my goalie

vCash: 180
I think Gillis is bluffing. If he does have a deal in place, why go and leak it to the media? Why not just sit quietly and make the trade without seeking attention. Why go and jeopardize this "other" team who is trying to resolve their player situation and ruin this potential deal by doing this? Gillis is usually tight lipped about transactions, and this leak seems like an act of desperation.

I think this is a way of trying to get teams that are already in negotiations to improve their low offers. I believe there isn't a deal in place.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I know it has only been two games, and I don't know if you have actually watched them or just looked at the box score but I can say with confidence that Kadri has probably been the best player on the entire roster so far this year, at least the most dangerous offensively.

Given his potential (and he does have potential to be good, despite what HFBoards says), and the amount of time we have spent developing him, it is extremely doubtful Toronto would move him as soon as he started showing flashes of what is potentially to come.
I'll agree. Kadri has been really good with little icetime. Him and Kostka have been our 2 best players. But Bozak has been good too so not sure Kadri will get a top 6 spot soon.

Old
Inverted
R.I.P Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgarath View Post
Yeah NO way kessel signs there again so Toronto needs to keep kadri so van fans should probably look some where else.
People were saying the same about Lupul that he wouldn't resign in Toronto and Leafs ended up locking him for 5 years. The resigning of Lupul will only make it easier to resign Kessel which I believe will happen this summer.

Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
he is an elite goalie, Washington doesn't have the need as of right now

can't believe people in this thread still question his abilities. You can hate the contract, believe that he will decline within a few years, or that the Canucks need to move him now... that's fine, but to say that he isn't among the best right now is ridiculous
I like him personally, but if he's traded to Toronto, his career's in deep trouble. He needs to go to a nice, quiet market where if you have a bad game it isn't plastered on the front page of the Sun.

Washington might do, but I think he'd be best in a place like Columbus, particularly with an up and coming young team.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Ballgarath

Quote:
no both teams share the cap hit if he retires

Old
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
very funny cant wait for kessel to say NO to toronto. anyways id rather trade with a team that isnt filled with what we already have, of course our tweeners are better than yours and is why we dont make good trading partners.the couple players we would want you dont want to give for LU which is fine but is just more reason to look at other potential trade partners.
LOL...my Dad can beat up your Dad!!!

Old
TOGuy14

Quote:
From what I understand the damages are split between whoever the guy played for during his contract and how much they benefited from the way it was structured.

Elliot Friedman (great hockey writer) does the rough tmath for you here

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html

Old
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
IwayMike

Any chance the trade is to the Islanders for Nino, DP and Nabby? DP would be the salary they would have to dump.

Last edited by IwayMike: 01-22-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Removed an "a" that was in the wrong place
Old
mapes

Quote:

What about Dipietro? It isn't always good.

The problem isn't now but in 3-4 years time, what will he be like? They just run risks

Old
Zoombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
You do realize how bad Calgary is, right?
Yeah I know they're bad. But do you understand how trades or lineups work? Vancouver isn't going to trade Lou for Kiprrusoff, and Calgary sending non-goalie assets for a player they don't need only makes them worse.... Calgary sucks, but their goaltending is not a problem.

Old
Pacem

Quote:
I am not completely up to date on the new CBA, but I believe its 50/50. The team he retires with and the team that originally handed out the contract.

Old
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
only teams that may fit

CHI (doubt it)
TB
FLA
TOR

thats it

Old
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post
I think Gillis is bluffing. If he does have a deal in place, why go and leak it to the media? Why not just sit quietly and make the trade without seeking attention. Why go and jeopardize this "other" team who is trying to resolve their player situation and ruin this potential deal by doing this? Gillis is usually tight lipped about transactions, and this leak seems like an act of desperation.

I think this is a way of trying to get teams that are already in negotiations to improve their low offers. I believe there isn't a deal in place.
i agree, no one announces trades before they happen except for ottawa (ie the heatley to edmonton trade) gillis is desperate and if they lose to the flames tomorrow it will be way way worse

Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Anybody else find it funny TSN ran a segment all on lowering his value on tsn.

They said he was bad in the 2nd game, where he got 2nd star, and oiler fans all saying he was by far the best player.

typical toronto media once again

Old
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
People were saying the same about Lupul that he wouldn't resign in Toronto and Leafs ended up locking him for 5 years. The resigning of Lupul will only make it easier to resign Kessel which I believe will happen this summer.
Lupul enjoys being a hockey god in toronto , kessel hates it he is very private.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Anybody else find it funny TSN ran a segment all on lowering his value on tsn.

They said he was bad in the 2nd game, where he got 2nd star, and oiler fans all saying he was by far the best player.

typical toronto media once again
Guess they didn't like the "reprimand" from Gillis.

Old
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Lupul enjoys being a hockey god in toronto , kessel hates it he is very private.
kessel has said him self he is a fine with the media, they have been good to him and he loves it here..

Old
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
only teams that may fit

CHI (doubt it)
TB
FLA
TOR

thats it
CHI, TB, or FLA it is.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post

I know there is no reason for Leafs fans to trust a GM that isn't theirs, and probably less reason to trust their own, but I don't get this "Gillis is definately lying" stuff. He has no reason lie, he's been very forthcoming about past deals not being in the ball park he wants as a return, he has no history of toying with the media (look at rumours surrounding past trades...there are hardly any) and until he shows a reason for us to distrust him, most Canucks are going to believe what he has to say.

I think it is odd that he has gone against his M.O. by saying there is something in the works, but saying it's to up low bids...I mean that is, at it's base, built on speculation with nothing to back it up. If anything, I think Gillis has thrown a bone to the media who have hounded him since before the playoffs were over last season to get them off his back.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Vorkosh

The rumor that I've heard in more than one location is now luongo straight up for vinny L. It makes sense as the Canucks need a centre and salary it's a wash cap wise not so much so meh. Take it whatever it's worth

Closed Thread